Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » How good are Fiberglass repairs on metal ??

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Kravit
Regular

March 2005

How good are Fiberglass repairs on metal ?? Mon, 20 June 2005 16:29 Go to next message
Hey guys,
I was wondering how good are Fiberglass repairs on metal are ?
I have few rust spots that i have to cut out, wondering if fiberglass any good at fixing this ? because i know bog can absorb water and then crack and show.
Is it possible for it not to crack if you use POR 15 ?

[Updated on: Mon, 20 June 2005 16:30]

Send a private message to this user    
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: How good are Fiberglass repairs on metal ?? Mon, 20 June 2005 21:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

I'm not sure about f/glass. I always get metalweld fixes. It's the best way to fix hole sin the metal. Also, when selling the car it makes sure that when people run a magnet over the car that it detects metal all the way.

seeyuzz
river
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: How good are Fiberglass repairs on metal ?? Mon, 20 June 2005 22:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fiberglass on metal blows goats. No matter what you do you will get moisture between the glass and the metal. In turn this causes more rust.

[Updated on: Mon, 20 June 2005 22:31]

Fattony
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: How good are Fiberglass repairs on metal ?? Tue, 21 June 2005 00:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Firbe glass does hold and is really strong if the prep and glassing is done correctly but as Cool1 said you will get moisture under the filler between the glass and the filler so depends on how long you want it to hold up, i did a fibreglass repair on a car about 3 years ago, still holding and hasnt rusted up again so fingers crossed.
riceburna73
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: How good are Fiberglass repairs on metal ?? Tue, 21 June 2005 00:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mate it really depends,if you have NO access to a welder at all and bog is your only possible option go teh fiberglass..Make sure you get the better weaved matting and dont used too much hardener as it will have an opposite effect and stay wet for ages..I did heaps of work with the stuff on the red celica and it has come up well...As for por15 i think it says you can spray over the top of rust with that shit,its that good!

good luck.
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: How good are Fiberglass repairs on metal ?? Tue, 21 June 2005 03:43 Go to previous message
Ive used fibreglass to fill a keyhole in my door.
The problem ive had though, is the fibreglass seems to expand and contract depending on the weather, which leaves very small lines in the paint over the top.

Anyone know if this is normal?
Or what it the type of glass/resin i used, etc?

POR15 is very good, but you must make sure you prep the surface and any remaining rust properly!
Just painting over rust with POR15 wont work, you do need to use the marine clean and the metal prep before painting.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:MA45 Diff rear end into ae86 - General Questions
Next Topic:VZV21 Front Calipers into SV21
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 7 21:42:23 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0053741931915283 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.