Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
gabe
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Swagelok fittings Thu, 09 January 2003 13:52 Go to next message
I plan to use full stainless(316) tube(polished) and swagelok fittings for fuel and brake (hydrolic) lines on my ta23. Does anyone know the legality of this mod??im in Perth by the way.

thanks
ps. yes I know they are expensive as all buggery.
  Send a private message to this user    
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: Swagelok fittings Thu, 09 January 2003 14:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
always thought you were into buggery, didn't know you payed for it too?!!! Laughing
gabe
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Swagelok fittings Thu, 09 January 2003 14:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Laughing *gimp* Laughing i knew id get a comment from you sooner or later Razz .....oh well

ps. i seem to remember owing someone some money.....hmmm now who was it........?? Twisted Evil
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: Swagelok fittings Thu, 09 January 2003 14:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah, I seem to remember something about someone wanting a Evo 5 Front mount intercooler and ST185 3STGE too?! Seriously, jump onto the tansport (now Planning and Infrastructure) website. Download the modification form, fill in the relavent details and send it in. It's free, and you will have their approval in "writing" to use as a guide in your rebuild to legal modifications!
gabe
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Swagelok fittings Thu, 09 January 2003 14:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
they probably have never even heard of swagelok.
dont have the web address by any chance??
ahhh dun worry. you would have put it in your previous post if u did. Razz
Thanks mate
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Swagelok fittings Mon, 20 January 2003 22:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Heya,
i use swagelok for gas fittings, but are they OK for hydraulic??
i'm also planning on using them for fuel, but i'd steer clear of using them on brake lines... the less parts to leak or break on brake lines the better. just get new brake lines made up...

it should be legal for fuel as it is just a fitting, but i doubt it for the brakes..
Cya, Stewart
ps, those SS fittings aint cheap...last one i bought was a 6mm union.. something like $40!

gabe wrote on Fri, 10 January 2003 00:52

I plan to use full stainless(316) tube(polished) and swagelok fittings for fuel and brake (hydrolic) lines on my ta23. Does anyone know the legality of this mod??im in Perth by the way.

thanks
ps. yes I know they are expensive as all buggery.

gabe
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Swagelok fittings Mon, 20 January 2003 23:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Swagelok actually make hydrolic fittings so the fittings will be designed for the job. weather or not they can handle the pressure of the brake lines is not an issue as the 316 stainless fittings are rated to over 10000 psi.....and thats just just the regular fittings. not the hydrolic ones.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Swagelok fittings Tue, 21 January 2003 00:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hiya Gabe,
what size tubing are you going to use for the brake lines??
just looking at the catalogue (for regular fittings) the pressure ratings for female threads are much lower.. for 1/16" to 1/4" it is over 6000psigauge.. so that's the limiting point of the joint... the ones i'm looking at are like the SS-600-6 in 3/8" for the fuel.... any suggestions on sources of seamless stainless tubing for fuel lines??
what are the hydraulic fittings.. i can't seem to find anything on them...

one thing using swagelok for brake lines... veeryyy easy to switch out the rear brakes....and to put in adj proportioning valves...
Cya, Stewart

gabe wrote on Tue, 21 January 2003 10:45

Swagelok actually make hydrolic fittings so the fittings will be designed for the job. weather or not they can handle the pressure of the brake lines is not an issue as the 316 stainless fittings are rated to over 10000 psi.....and thats just just the regular fittings. not the hydrolic ones.

gabe
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Swagelok fittings Tue, 21 January 2003 02:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stewart,
plan to ues 6mm polished stainless tube for the brakes(not sure on wall thickness)
i have been told that the pressure your brake system is under never exceeds about 3000 psig(even if you really stand on the brake pedal) so the standard fittings should be ok but im going with the hydrolic fittings anyway. unfortunately i dont have the hydrolic fittings catalogue on hand so i cant give specifics.
I can however say that swagelok themselves do seamless tubing(expensive though)
im interested as to what size fuel lines u are running to and from the engine and also whar sort of proportioning valve u are using.
cheers
clubagreenie
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: Swagelok fittings Tue, 21 January 2003 02:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Try a company called Stauff Corporation. They have a range of fitting that are 100% compatable with swagelock, lloyds rated, called letlock.I used to work for them and they should be up to half the price. They also have other stainless fittings using a profile or cutting ring that will be fie for use with fuel/brake fluid and are cheaper again. Only difference is swag/letlock is foe imperial tube I think and the Stauff fittind are for metric (or the other way around). They also have the tube available on the shelf.

If any one in Sydney needs 12mmx1.5mm stainless tube pm me I have close to 200meters available.

justin
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Swagelok fittings Tue, 21 January 2003 02:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

oki cool, should be well within the safety factor Smile
could you let me know what fittings you end up getting? i have some normal fittings here at work, but am curios about the hydraulic ones...

heh heh, isn't everything from Swagelok practically gold coated?

i'm not exactly sure as yet.. my car is a 1969 corolla so only has a single 6mm tube, i was thinking of 3/8" or 5/16" or whatever the next size up from 1/4" is... with injectors maxed + extra it'll only need about 1L/min, but room for future plans are good.
since i need to add a line i may as well do both. and thus may as well have same size. i know some ppl use different sizes for pressure and return lines but why not make them both large??

proportioning valve?? what's that?
heh heh, my car never had one and i don't have a vac booster either. the brakes are well proportioned based on size (or undersize Wink so is ok.
i know that there are adjustable units available, but are not road legal. so if you can swap in and out sections of tubing easily... it's all good if you need it inspected..

gabe
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Swagelok fittings Tue, 21 January 2003 08:38 Go to previous message
Stewart,
will definately let you know which fittings i will be using. will try to get the part numbers for you also. in the next few days i expect
cheers
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:SC12 & SC14 question
Next Topic:Aus vs Us headlights
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 8 05:04:01 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0036849975585938 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.