Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
mr2sc
Regular

January 2005
3sgte lsd gearbox Tue, 21 June 2005 02:02 Go to next message
Hi guys

as I am doing the 3sgte coversion on my aw11 I require an lsd turbo gear box.

I have found one for $1800 with the shafts, $1500 without.

This sounds like alot.

I can't seem to find one anywhere else

what do you think?

Send a private message to this user    
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: 3sgte lsd gearbox Tue, 21 June 2005 02:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah that seems quite exxy
Hunty
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: 3sgte lsd gearbox Tue, 21 June 2005 04:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nah sounds bout right to me, prices here (adelaide) are around the 1800-2k mark

crazy as

Joshstix
Forums Junkie

Toymods Vice President

May 2002
Re: 3sgte lsd gearbox Tue, 21 June 2005 05:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah it's a bit sad. In the US Toyota retails them for $1400US.
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: 3sgte lsd gearbox Tue, 21 June 2005 05:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
argh.. well I did get a bargain then they are crazy prices
mr2sc
Regular

January 2005
Re: 3sgte lsd gearbox Tue, 21 June 2005 06:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh dear thats a rip. ohwell. Has anyone fitted an aftermarket lsd to the non lsd box. I mean even if the lsd centre cost 1000 bucks and getting the gearbox rebuilt was 1000 say, then it would really be better to pay a bit more and do that. atleast you know the lsd isn't worn.

???
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: 3sgte lsd gearbox Tue, 21 June 2005 06:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its been done my mechanic has done a few i just have other ways of spendin the cash to go to him... kaaz japan/usa sells lsds for the 5sfe box which i have and which bolts to the 3sgte comes in 1 way or 2 way... it is an aggresive lsd though no trumpin it round corners lol.. id wanna be 100% sure it was actualy a lsd box too.. im not sure but is there any way of tellin besides drivin it?

[Updated on: Tue, 21 June 2005 06:58]

davedave
Forums Junkie

October 2003

Re: 3sgte lsd gearbox Tue, 21 June 2005 09:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Talk to CharlieMR2.
He had a box for sale for a thousand bucks (I think). Also, he has a much better way of installing a 3sgte than what I have done (he did the conversion a few years ago). He may also still have a turbo, manifold, dump and exhaust if you need those bits too.
davedave
Forums Junkie

October 2003

Re: 3sgte lsd gearbox Tue, 21 June 2005 09:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
berad wrote on Tue, 21 June 2005 16:56

im not sure but is there any way of tellin besides drivin it?

Now I may be confused and/or misinformed. But I was told an easy way to check is by seeing this little fella accoss the middle.
http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/~mk15/index.php?image=IMGP1240.JPG&size=150[/URL]
Joshstix
Forums Junkie

Toymods Vice President

May 2002
Re: 3sgte lsd gearbox Tue, 21 June 2005 09:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep that's an LSD box.
mr2sc
Regular

January 2005
Re: 3sgte lsd gearbox Tue, 21 June 2005 11:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for your help guys

I'll keep you posted on the progress. Cool
Draza
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: 3sgte lsd gearbox Tue, 21 June 2005 13:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mr2sc wrote on Tue, 21 June 2005 16:20

Oh dear thats a rip. ohwell. Has anyone fitted an aftermarket lsd to the non lsd box. I mean even if the lsd centre cost 1000 bucks and getting the gearbox rebuilt was 1000 say, then it would really be better to pay a bit more and do that. atleast you know the lsd isn't worn.

???

if the drive shafts can't handle the power then they will need to be upgraded also
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: 3sgte lsd gearbox Tue, 21 June 2005 14:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ive heard there is no differnce between the n/a and turbo driveshafts in the sw20 this is only second hand info tho
Draza
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: 3sgte lsd gearbox Tue, 21 June 2005 14:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i don't know about the difference, but if someone looks at this thred, puts in an LSD and snaps their drive shafts. This is their word of warning.
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: 3sgte lsd gearbox Tue, 21 June 2005 14:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if they are anything like the 4agze mr2 gearbox driveshafts then i dont think they will be breaking easily
Joshstix
Forums Junkie

Toymods Vice President

May 2002
Re: 3sgte lsd gearbox Wed, 22 June 2005 06:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Turbo shafts are definately different to the NA shafts and the inner shafts are different for the LSD boxes than for the open boxes in the SW20.
Senor_2
Regular

September 2003
Re: 3sgte lsd gearbox Wed, 22 June 2005 07:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Josh is 100% correct, different shafts for NA/turbo and lsd/non lsd. I know where u would be able to get a pair of LSD turbo driveshafts.... Rolling Eyes
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: 3sgte lsd gearbox Wed, 22 June 2005 07:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
id upgrade the drivers side cv to a one piece if i were you ive learnt this lol.. the joint dont like the torque to much there relatively cheap
MR. 2
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: 3sgte lsd gearbox Wed, 22 June 2005 22:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
buy that LSD box thats shit cheap if you ask me. along time ago i brought mine for 1200 with shafts that was just pure luck i brought it for that much. i just recently rebuilt the who gearbox, because i screwed 5 gear fork. this cost me $1900 alone. belive me thats a good deal everyone else wants ridiculas prices for the box. ring bd4's amd then get ready for a rude shock.
davedave
Forums Junkie

October 2003

Re: 3sgte lsd gearbox Wed, 22 June 2005 22:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I bought mine for $750 missing the intermediate shaft (hens teeth) and shifter linkage (had to be remade by Toyota Japan and took 2 months due to f*ck arounds).
Give CharlieMR2 a call and keep your fingers crossed he still has the box. He's a super helpful guy and the reason he was selling it was because it's too heavy for his race car now that he planned/is running a beams 3sge.
smashed_wombat
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: 3sgte lsd gearbox Thu, 23 June 2005 08:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I believe he sold it a few weeks ago.
roryh
Newcomer

June 2005
Re: 3sgte lsd gearbox Wed, 29 June 2005 23:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hello,

I am looking for stub axles for a gen3 lsd gearbox - need both sides. Also after the outer driveshafts (both sides) for a turbo with ABS. anyone know if any are around.

Regards,
Rory
roryh
Newcomer

June 2005
Re: 3sgte lsd gearbox Wed, 29 June 2005 23:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry all,

that was in reference to an MR2.

Regards,
Rory.
davedave
Forums Junkie

October 2003

Re: 3sgte lsd gearbox Thu, 30 June 2005 07:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think senor_2 has almost what you're looking for but his don't have abs. I'm pretty sure I have one abs outer shaft if you can't find a pair or the wreckers are asking too much for them each.
AFAIK, the gen2 and gen3 LSD shafts are the same thing.

Cheers,
Dave
stackas
Newcomer

June 2005
Re: 3sgte lsd gearbox Thu, 30 June 2005 12:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have a gearbox from a 3sgte for sale. i have no idea how to tell if its lsd or not. i dont know what that little picture was ment to be showing
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: 3sgte lsd gearbox Thu, 30 June 2005 12:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Joshstix wrote on Wed, 22 June 2005 16:30

The Turbo shafts are definately different to the NA shafts and the inner shafts are different for the LSD boxes than for the open boxes in the SW20.

i meant the thickness
roryh
Newcomer

June 2005
Re: 3sgte lsd gearbox Thu, 30 June 2005 23:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Dave - thankyou for the reply.

Senior_2 any chance you may have these inner shafts for a turbo LSD box and outer shafts for turbo with ABS (MR2 Gen3)

Can anyone tell me if the LSD inner shafts fit most aftermarket LSD's like KAAZ for example?

Regards,
Rory
davedave
Forums Junkie

October 2003

Re: 3sgte lsd gearbox Fri, 01 July 2005 00:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
roryh wrote on Fri, 01 July 2005 09:47

Hi Dave - thankyou for the reply.

Senior_2 any chance you may have these inner shafts for a turbo LSD box and outer shafts for turbo with ABS (MR2 Gen3)

Can anyone tell me if the LSD inner shafts fit most aftermarket LSD's like KAAZ for example?

Regards,
Rory

I'm pretty sure they do, as the inner shaft is a very sort after part. And my edumacated guess to why it's sort after is that when people swap in an aftermarket LSD they need that shaft. Check www.mr2oc.com for the right answer though. We have a handful of sw20 turbos over here where's the US have cr@ploads and hence more people contributing knowledge.

btw, I know for a fact that Senor_2's shafts don't have abs as he sent me a photo of them.
billmchenry
Regular

June 2005
Re: 3sgte lsd gearbox Fri, 01 July 2005 00:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi

I bought a 3sgte 165 halfcut the other day for my 162. I was wondering if anyone has or heard of the GT4 gearbox being converted 2 a FWD?
davedave
Forums Junkie

October 2003

Re: 3sgte lsd gearbox Fri, 01 July 2005 03:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
From what I've heard it's way more pain than what it's worth.
Best bet is to find a mr2 box. I've heard a v6 camry box fits a 3sgte also, but check up on that as I don't know where I heard it.
roryh
Newcomer

June 2005
Re: 3sgte lsd gearbox Mon, 25 July 2005 06:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hello All,

Looking for the MR2 turbo outer driveshafts with CV's. They must be the ABS version. Anyone heard of some lying around for sale?

Regards,
Rory
smashed_wombat
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: 3sgte lsd gearbox Tue, 30 August 2005 08:52 Go to previous message
davedave wrote on Tue, 21 June 2005 19:35

berad wrote on Tue, 21 June 2005 16:56

im not sure but is there any way of tellin besides drivin it?

Now I may be confused and/or misinformed. But I was told an easy way to check is by seeing this little fella accoss the middle.
<a href="http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/~mk15/index.php?image= IMGP1240.JPG&size=1024" target="_blank">http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/~mk15/index.php?image=IMGP1240.JPG&size=150[/URL]

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I know a few people refer to that picture a lot as how to tell a non LSD from an LSD diff. Just thought I'd let you guys know that I was down at the wrecker today and noticed that pretty much every S and E series box that I saw has that little bit across the centre. They were marked as coming from SV21's and ST162's which I dont think ever came with LSD's as a factory option?
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:S.C AW11 over fueling, help please
Next Topic:1uz in Ford Model "A"
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 12:50:32 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0081510543823242 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.