Toymods » General Car Talk » mp3 player directly connected to a amp

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
shezza
Regular

March 2005
mp3 player directly connected to a amp Thu, 16 June 2005 11:02 Go to next message
Any1 heard how it performs? One source tells me its not good quality but one source isnt much.
I am talking about gettin a ipod lets say and connecting it directly to an amp and playing it.
  Send a private message to this user    
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: mp3 player directly connected to a amp Thu, 16 June 2005 11:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Comes down to the quality of the MP3 being played. Most will sound very wish-washy.
koen
Regular

March 2004
Re: mp3 player directly connected to a amp Thu, 16 June 2005 11:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Good quality MP3s (say 256kbps+ LAME encoded) through the line-out on a docked iPod sound just fine through a decent system.
skellator
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: mp3 player directly connected to a amp Fri, 17 June 2005 06:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah, it would also depend on the quality of the player. if it's an ipod, say, it would be fine, but for a generic mp3 player, it may not be so good
michaelhaynes110
Regular

June 2005
Re: mp3 player directly connected to a amp Fri, 17 June 2005 07:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You pretty much have to run it through a headdeck to get good sound. Running it from rca's direct to amp will sound worse than one of those FM things.
Big Rob
Regular

March 2005
Re: mp3 player directly connected to a amp Fri, 17 June 2005 07:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It will sound bad mainly due to the headphone preamp. What you will need to do is use one of those car kits that plug into the bottom of your ipod and has a line out. Thats the easiest way otherwise its called getting a spare cable that plugs into the bottom of it and hacking it up to get the line output wires.

Theres plenty of info on the net. just search for it.
b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: mp3 player directly connected to a amp Fri, 17 June 2005 17:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
get the cable frm jb hifi. i tried hooking up laptop to amp b4 and it sounded decent
shezza
Regular

March 2005
Re: mp3 player directly connected to a amp Wed, 22 June 2005 02:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
b1gb3n wrote on Sat, 18 June 2005 03:11

get the cable frm jb hifi. i tried hooking up laptop to amp b4 and it sounded decent

is it rca one end and headphone jack the other?
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: mp3 player directly connected to a amp Wed, 22 June 2005 03:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
michaelhaynes110 wrote on Fri, 17 June 2005 15:12

You pretty much have to run it through a headdeck to get good sound. Running it from rca's direct to amp will sound worse than one of those FM things.

No it wont. Headphone opamp not withstanding, it's still going to sound better than something that's been converted to FM. That said, the best option if you're really concerned about the sound is to an adapter for line out. This will be the same regardless of the bitrate, although the lower you go, the more crappy the sound will be.
shezza
Regular

March 2005
Re: mp3 player directly connected to a amp Wed, 22 June 2005 03:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justcallmefrank wrote on Wed, 22 June 2005 13:06

michaelhaynes110 wrote on Fri, 17 June 2005 15:12

No it wont. Headphone opamp not withstanding, it's still going to sound better than something that's been converted to FM. That said, the best option if you're really concerned about the sound is to an adapter for line out. This will be the same regardless of the bitrate, although the lower you go, the more crappy the sound will be.

Im a bit lost, so what should I do?
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: mp3 player directly connected to a amp Wed, 22 June 2005 03:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you are really concerned with plugging it directly into the amp, then get something like:
http://store.apple.com/133-622/WebObjects/australi astore?productLearnMore=T6715Z/A
Use that and get a cable that goes from 3.5mm stereo plug to RCA's and plug it into amp.

If you have an average stereo, I'd probably just recommend the FM modulator one, as it's cheaper. It's all about how much you want to spend and is a trade-off, quality vs cost.
shezza
Regular

March 2005
Re: mp3 player directly connected to a amp Wed, 22 June 2005 10:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Not sure if u fully understand but my friend wants to run a mp3 player through a amp without any headunit. He doesnt want to use cd's anyway so he wants to run it directly through the amp.
b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: mp3 player directly connected to a amp Wed, 22 June 2005 10:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just go to jb hifi and tell them u want to play ur mp3 player in the car. they will give u a cable. think it was only about $10, so no harm trying
KLR16V
Regular

September 2004
Re: mp3 player directly connected to a amp Wed, 22 June 2005 10:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i tried my ipod connected up with those $10 Rca cables, and i thought the quality was pretty poor.

my Alpine mp3 CD deck is much better.probbably coz its got all that special sound improvement gear it says it has.
i dunno but i think it all comes down to the special gear inside a CD deck Vs the MP3device

cheers, daniel
inertia
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: mp3 player directly connected to a amp Wed, 22 June 2005 11:02 Go to previous message
Umm, doesn't it have to do with the line out voltage on those rca's into the amp?

Your amp should have in it's manual what voltage it loves...
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:i saw Sportivo Coupe Concept Car
Next Topic:HELP NEEDED IN SA!
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 13 04:43:50 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0049400329589844 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.