Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » fitting a surge tank to a RA28???

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
sbyder
Forums Junkie

May 2002
fitting a surge tank to a RA28??? Fri, 10 January 2003 03:46 Go to next message
Has anyone done this? And if so(which is highly likely!), where the hell did u put it?
I've looked underneath numerous times, and theres just NO ROOM! Not with bigg-ass exhaust and new suspension set-up, too low, too tight.
I cant put it in the boot, as then i'd need to seal it off from the cabin, and i dont want an internal surgie. The only idea i've come up with is in the front wheel arch! My rear wheels/tyres combo is too big to be able to fit it in there. Would the front be suitable??? I'm gunna use a holley red to fill the tank and a VL pump to fill the rail. I think the holley will be able to keep up and put enough fuel into tank, what do u think?

Any other suggestions peoples???

Thanks
Ben
  Send a private message to this user    
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: fitting a surge tank to a RA28??? Fri, 10 January 2003 04:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How about in the engine bay?
Gotta be some room in there somewhere.
The surge tank doesnt need to be that big.
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: fitting a surge tank to a RA28??? Fri, 10 January 2003 05:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah they dont make it easy in RA28 for surge tank.
I originally had one in the engine bay, but found it to be too small for my application and wanted something 4 + litres. Plus the fuel didn't have much time to cool down from the engine return line.

So currently have one in the boot (oops). Though it will be sealed well in a box Smile
clubagreenie
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: fitting a surge tank to a RA28??? Fri, 10 January 2003 10:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Don't want to be picky but what's the prob with the boot? Mine's there (MS55, 5MGE) if it's connected and fixed down ok then it shouldn't move or leak. Does RTA have a problem with this? My tank (from motorsport connections) has mounting points on the base and I used a pipe clamp from Stauff hydraulics at wetherill pk to mount the pump and stainless braided teflon hose with screw fittings (crimpon not hose clamped) so if the RTA has a prob they can stick it.
CrAiGzEE
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: fitting a surge tank to a RA28??? Fri, 10 January 2003 11:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i came across rods setup here on tinas car
http://www.toymods.org.au/photo//Conversions/Tina's%201G-GTE%20into%20RA28/Fuel%20System.jpg

http://www.toymods.org.au/photo//Conversions/Tina's%201G-GTE%20into%20RA28/Fuel%20System%20002.jpg

[Updated on: Fri, 10 January 2003 12:00]

CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: fitting a surge tank to a RA28??? Fri, 10 January 2003 17:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've placed mine in the left hand rear quarter panel void along with the efi pump. The tank holds about 1.5L, requires no additional holes be cut in the body, and is a fully hidden installation.
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: fitting a surge tank to a RA28??? Fri, 10 January 2003 20:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah just dont take it to an engineer like that, I'll put my one in the boot after i get it engineered, for now just the efi pump and a full tank of petrol will have to do me.
blackRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: fitting a surge tank to a RA28??? Sun, 12 January 2003 03:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeh i am probably mounting mine in the boot just for simplicity, and now ive seen how snipered you can make it under the spare wheel recess. 4 stars there, it saves a lot of space too, i like it.
We were thinking of engine bay, and there would usually be enough room unless u need big volume, then might not be such a good idea in the bay from a safety point of view.
Even in the rear quarter panel spaces you could fit a thin tank and pump, and if you are lucky enough to have trim back there it would be quite well hidden..

Good luck
sbyder
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: fitting a surge tank to a RA28??? Sun, 12 January 2003 07:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks peoples!
Have helped a lot. Now need to buy a surge tank lol.

Thanks
Ben
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: fitting a surge tank to a RA28??? Mon, 13 January 2003 05:18 Go to previous message
Mine's in the boot (cabin space) but I think it was done after the engineers certificate. I have been thinking of either moving it or making up a vapour barrier.

I sometimes get a slight smell of petrol. Haven't decided if I like it or not. Razz
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:1997 starlet (steering wheel / horn)
Next Topic:Mysterious oil leak - 18R-G
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 8 15:24:19 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0039610862731934 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.