Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » Helmets and safety gear... what and where to buy in Melbourne

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Helmets and safety gear... what and where to buy in Melbourne Sun, 12 June 2005 13:25 Go to next message
As those that have met me would know I have a muscle condition that means I have general muscular weakness. This means that in the event of an accident my neck would be quite vulnerable to injury. More vulnerable that most. (eg: imagine the complete opposite of a rugby player's neck. Wink)

I've always planned to get into hillclimbs because historic racing has been a big part of my father's side of the family. I'm also going to a couple of Go Karting days on the holidays. Thus I want to make sure that if i am in any sort of accident i'm as prepared and protected as possible.

Looking at the Hans Device website I can see that this piece of equipment is for serious professional racers only due to it's hefty mofo of a price tag.

I've seen those rubber donuts worn by people to protect their necks... how effective are they and is that the only alternative to the Hans Device? Is there a neck protecting device that is somewhere between the rubber donut and the Hans Device?

Also, I was thinking that as soon as Dad finishes the Bugatti I'm gonna want to give it a run up the hill as soon as possible so I might as well get myself a helmet now so I can use it Karting as well. What is the best place to go for advice and expert opinions on these topics?

If anyone wants to suggest brands of stuff as well that would give me a good direction for further invesigation.

thanks... sorry for typing too much. Embarassed
  Send a private message to this user    
xolent
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: Helmets and safety gear... what and where to buy in Melbourne Sun, 12 June 2005 13:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ebay?

don't get a shagged helmet but!

just wondering, are you going all serious out on gear or "what ever" works?

SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Helmets and safety gear... what and where to buy in Melbourne Sun, 12 June 2005 13:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
eBay... hmmm... i'm not buying a second hand helmet nor am I buying one that i haven't tried on to make sure it fits. Good idea for most things but not safety stuff i reckon.

I'm not doing any really dangerous racing, I'm looking for suggestions on what's out there that range from crap to excellent... Also, I figure that if I don't have any accidents then the equipment is going to last a long time. Thus, anything I buy will be almost a one off purchase and a large one of cost can be justified as an investment in my personal safety.
EldarO
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: Helmets and safety gear... what and where to buy in Melbourne Sun, 12 June 2005 16:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SIMDOG wrote on Sun, 12 June 2005 21:56

eBay... hmmm... i'm not buying a second hand helmet nor am I buying one that i haven't tried on to make sure it fits. Good idea for most things but not safety stuff i reckon.

I'm not doing any really dangerous racing, I'm looking for suggestions on what's out there that range from crap to excellent... Also, I figure that if I don't have any accidents then the equipment is going to last a long time. Thus, anything I buy will be almost a one off purchase and a large one of cost can be justified as an investment in my personal safety.

so, your saying, people who do race, purchase saftey gear with the intent to crash?

nobody wants the crash, nobody plans on crashing, however "safe" things might seem shit can still go wrong.

i guess that you would goto your local motorbike dealer for a helmet, if they're designed to protect your head coming off a bike, they'll keep you in one peice inside a car.

motocross helmet should be ace.

while your there, ask them where to get a donut.

although, my opinion is, you have a health issue, i think you should avoid anything that would put you in harms way.

but, its not my choice, just DONT skimp on cost, my friend is only alive after he got hit by a car on his moto because of his $600 leathers and helmet.

Eldar.O.
CoronaC
Regular

June 2004
Re: Helmets and safety gear... what and where to buy in Melbourne Sun, 12 June 2005 18:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EldarO wrote on Mon, 13 June 2005 02:40

i guess that you would goto your local motorbike dealer for a helmet, if they're designed to protect your head coming off a bike, they'll keep you in one peice inside a car.

motocross helmet should be ace.

while your there, ask them where to get a donut.

As suggested by ElderO goto a motobike shop/dealer and ask about some kind of donut, even if they dont sell them or cant order them, they would most likly be able to point you in the right direction of where to get your hands on one, and while your there you can buy a helmet Very Happy

You could also find a CAMS affilated club in your area and talk to some of there members about what type and where to get neck brace to suit your needs, someone should be able to help you.

cheers
chris
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: Helmets and safety gear... what and where to buy in Melbourne Sun, 12 June 2005 23:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
one thought before you shell the $$ out... if you have a neck problem would you pass the CAMS medial assesment ?
StockAE86
Regular

July 2004
Re: Helmets and safety gear... what and where to buy in Melbourne Mon, 13 June 2005 00:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There is a place in moorabin called concept racegear???
It is located just opposite the Moorabin airport,
u should b able to find it easy enough, they have alot to do with karting but also other things.
I'm sure they will be able to give you some good advice, i have had good experience dealing with them. Even if you use them just for the advice and buy what you need elsewhere Razz

Cheers
Shtock
M.J.H
Forums Junkie

April 2003

Re: Helmets and safety gear... what and where to buy in Melbourne Mon, 13 June 2005 01:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.revolutionracegear.com.au/?fa=contactus .vic

Try this for the neck brace and driving suit.
When i used a neck brace i found they were comfortable enough but limited the movement a bit.Prob just the thing for you.
Motorbike shop for a decent helmet as they tend to have more to chose from but the above mob can supply helmets if you want.
SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Helmets and safety gear... what and where to buy in Melbourne Mon, 13 June 2005 02:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EldarO wrote on Mon, 13 June 2005 02:40

SIMDOG wrote on Sun, 12 June 2005 21:56

so, your saying, people who do race, purchase saftey gear with the intent to crash?

Dood WTF?... I mean that so long as you don't have an accident and damage the helmet it will last for a long time. I really don't see what was unclear about that.

toof wrote on Mon, 13 June 2005 09:49

one thought before you shell the $$ out... if you have a neck problem would you pass the CAMS medial assesment ?

Good point... I will look into that... That will determine whether I can do hillclimbs but I'll still need the stuff for Go Karting which you don't need a CAM's licence for.

I don't think it'll be a problem but you're right... I should make sure.
muaythaiman
Regular

August 2004
Re: Helmets and safety gear... what and where to buy in Melbourne Mon, 13 June 2005 03:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shoei and Arai are good value for money helmets. I would not buy any less.

As for the price of a helmet......................
How much is your head worth?

A simple neckbrace is the best you will do for neck support.
A HANS device would probably not be any more benificial in a go-kart, and might actually cause more injury in a big crash in a go-kart.

I haven't been involved with karts since the nineties but I'm pretty sure thaat the AKA is the controlling body, and I never needed a medical until I raced in the CIK series which used to be governed by the FIA, and you needed an International A licence. I don't think you will be needing this.

As for using a motorcross helmet........maybe on a "motorcross" bike.
M.J.H
Forums Junkie

April 2003

Re: Helmets and safety gear... what and where to buy in Melbourne Mon, 13 June 2005 07:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
muaythaiman wrote on Mon, 13 June 2005 13:44

As for the price of a helmet......................
How much is your head worth?

Yep but i guess that some of us only have a $20 head if they use s/h helmets.
Still prefer the bike shop for a helmet as they seem to have more to choose from.
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Helmets and safety gear... what and where to buy in Melbourne Mon, 13 June 2005 08:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
simdog - i got my race suit thru Autospeed in adelaide - their service and support has been excellent so far and their prices were as good as any i can find.

they have lightweight sparco helmets for around the 600 dollar mark too , might be a good thing for you to look at - although pricey

Otherwise if you want to shop locally revolution racegear is as good as any around - and should be able to help you get kitted up - I know theirs a very friendly dealer-shop at autopro in ballarat - the guys there are very good

OH and ps: your right about not wanting to buy second hand - theres laws against selling helmets and such. its best to be measured up for exactly your needs or else , obvoiulsy , youll have issues with fitting and feel

[Updated on: Mon, 13 June 2005 08:19]

SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Helmets and safety gear... what and where to buy in Melbourne Wed, 22 June 2005 07:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I took a trip (a long drive from my house) to Revolution Racegear... I was shocked by the price of helmet. They only had one that was less than $700 and that was an open face helmet. Pretty much all of them were over a thousand bucks. Surprised Shocked

Anyways... I bought one of these for the time being...
http://img194.echo.cx/img194/2077/neckthingo3cn.jpg
I'll use the helmets that the go-kart track provide this time... I don't know if I can afford to have a thousand dollar helmet sitting round my house getting used once every one or two years. Confused

Revolution Racegear stock only Bell and Arai... They said that was because they are the best... I know they are good but how much worse are the cheaper helmets?
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Helmets and safety gear... what and where to buy in Melbourne Wed, 22 June 2005 07:54 Go to previous message
nods they are the upper of upper range ..

Sparco seem to be just as good - alot of the WRC guys use them
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Higher RON Fuels: Did you know?
Next Topic:extreme engineering address needed
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 14:28:47 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0062830448150635 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.