Toymods » Tech & Conversions » cheap available nissan turbo for 4ag-te setup

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
._T_.
Forums Junkie

May 2002
cheap available nissan turbo for 4ag-te setup Wed, 22 June 2005 08:42 Go to next message
so i'm thinking seriously about de-supercharging an aw11 & turboing it.

started looking at all the turbos on the market - & there are just so many variants - but what is the best turbo for a 4agze, either 8:1 or 8.8:1 c/r?

i have looked at nissan turbos as there have been so many available - how do you know what is what? anyone know where there is a nissan "turbo specification" sheet/web site? turbos i have looked at have "16v 11", v27 etc cast onto the compressor housing. what does it mean?

basically what i think i need is a gt25 or gt28, preferably with a b/b core, water/oil cooled.

after something that spools up easily, (no boost spikes please! - note: mid engined car!!)
have been suggested i need a turbo off a r33 rb25, or a ca18, or a vg20, or a s15 gt28 etc - all very different turbos with very different wheel sizes & boost characteristics.

so who has used what with what results?

any help appreciated

T
  Send a private message to this user    
Big T
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: cheap available nissan turbo for 4ag-te setup Wed, 22 June 2005 11:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well i have an rb25det turbo but it hasn't been installed yet. It used to be on Witzl's car and he said it would come on full boost by around 3.5k or so?? I'm sure he'll correct me if i'm wrong. That was put on a stock smallport 4age with 116rwkw.

It's a bb turbo but with a ceramic turbine so i wouldn't be pushing it past 15psi of boost. Look for a steel turbine if you want to push for higher boost.

tx_magic
Newcomer

June 2005
Re: cheap available nissan turbo for 4ag-te setup Wed, 22 June 2005 11:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i'm going with a rb25det turbo on mine apparently they pull hard if tuned right.
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: cheap available nissan turbo for 4ag-te setup Wed, 22 June 2005 11:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i'd reccommend a simple yet effective T25G as found on early model S13 and s14 SR20det's

these work really well on a 4age series motor. Very linier and progressive power delivery
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: cheap available nissan turbo for 4ag-te setup Wed, 22 June 2005 11:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Big T - that's my old turbo, goodness it does get around... I made about 150kw at the wheels with that one, it was alright. A little bit slower to spin up than the RB20 one it replaced, but then the RB20 one was about 10kw down up top, and the RB20 one ended up losing its exhaust wheel...
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: cheap available nissan turbo for 4ag-te setup Wed, 22 June 2005 12:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i find the simple old t25 off the ca18det a great little performer in my aw11. though it may not be dyno hero turbo it does go well on the street. pushes all the extra weight i have quite well over what the 4agze did.
spool up is ~2700rpm and 12psi by ~3800rpm to redline.

i beleive the t25g is a slightly larger turbo? different comp and ex a/r's? maybe the little ex housing of the t25 (.49 a/r) combined with the bigger t25g comp ( a/r ??) could be a nice package?... (thinking out loud). Smile
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: cheap available nissan turbo for 4ag-te setup Wed, 22 June 2005 14:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
feral4mr2 wrote on Wed, 22 June 2005 22:49

i find the simple old t25 off the ca18det a great little performer in my aw11. though it may not be dyno hero turbo it does go well on the street. pushes all the extra weight i have quite well over what the 4agze did.
spool up is ~2700rpm and 12psi by ~3800rpm to redline.

i beleive the t25g is a slightly larger turbo? different comp and ex a/r's? maybe the little ex housing of the t25 (.49 a/r) combined with the bigger t25g comp ( a/r ??) could be a nice package?... (thinking out loud). Smile

i can confirm that ferals turbo setup does perform quite nicely on the road even with a leaving bosch bov Very Happy
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: cheap available nissan turbo for 4ag-te setup Wed, 22 June 2005 15:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
leaving bosch bov - does that mean it's trying to run away? Or that it only happens in autumn??

sorry peoples, it IS late! Laughing
._T_.
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: cheap available nissan turbo for 4ag-te setup Wed, 22 June 2005 23:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hi guys, thanks for the replies.

ok vehicle will be (initially anyway) running factory efi which may map up to ~15psi, so ceramic exhaust wheel ok.

so from the sound of it, a turbo (gt25?) off a rb20 is the best one to go for?
is the early s13/14 sr20 turbo b/b core?

also been suggested i look at 300zx z32 twin turbo turbos - ideas?

T
improvedae86
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: cheap available nissan turbo for 4ag-te setup Thu, 23 June 2005 00:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The s13 and s14 turbos where never ballbearing units , i would always check the turbo part number in comparison for the correct specs on the turbo . Some of the T25g's must have been OEM nissan only since there no listing of specs from garrett available .

I would be going a t28 , or gt25 if you are going to all the work of stuffing one in the rear of a aw11 , there cheap new now why go second hand crap for a few extra $$$ . If you are running around on a stock t25g at 15psi you are on the border line of the edge of the units effecience , sure they can be run up to 20psi but the reliability and it being a pain in the ass to change every 15-20.000ks in the aw11 Rolling Eyes

Has anyone run into heat soak issue in the tight rear of the AW11 ? was watching a nice blue Sw20 on the dyno the other day loose power every run , i cannot there being much room for adding a larger intercooler , or adding lots of coolant for a air/water unit . The SW20 had the boot area used for coolant tanks and still lost big power every run on a cold night .
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: cheap available nissan turbo for 4ag-te setup Thu, 23 June 2005 00:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mrshin wrote on Thu, 23 June 2005 01:07

leaving bosch bov - does that mean it's trying to run away? Or that it only happens in autumn??

sorry peoples, it IS late! Laughing

it was meant to say leaking and your appology is accepted Very Happy
monkeymajik
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: cheap available nissan turbo for 4ag-te setup Thu, 23 June 2005 01:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thought about subaru or mitsu bolt patterns?

A td04l will run well in that boost range and they are cheap as the proverbial. If you want more power later td05h and vf turbos are in the same pattern...

._T_.
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: cheap available nissan turbo for 4ag-te setup Thu, 23 June 2005 06:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thought of a t04 off a my99, but have been offered a rb20det turbo now! decisions decisions!!

so far it appears that a gt25/30 would be ideal, or maybe a gt28r off a s15.

might look at that rb20 turbo as that is a known unit in this application.

anyone played with a turbo of a vg30dett? as the gt25 & 28 are listed as being performance replacements for that motor. should not be hard to find i would have thought

T
improvedae86
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: cheap available nissan turbo for 4ag-te setup Thu, 23 June 2005 07:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah T , lots of people have played with the vq30dett turbo units , due to mostly all second hand ones being stuffed . Might have something to do with there location in the vehicle , i dont know anyone who hasn't need to change those units at least twice before getting a good one Rolling Eyes
Big T
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: cheap available nissan turbo for 4ag-te setup Thu, 23 June 2005 07:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mrshin wrote on Wed, 22 June 2005 21:51

Big T - that's my old turbo, goodness it does get around... I made about 150kw at the wheels with that one, it was alright. A little bit slower to spin up than the RB20 one it replaced, but then the RB20 one was about 10kw down up top, and the RB20 one ended up losing its exhaust wheel...

Hehehe... well this little whore will be put to some good use. Mind if i ask what the 150kw was being made on? Aftermarket management/multicoil/gze engine/stock internals? Pm me if you like so we don't clutter the thread.

Eddie.
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: cheap available nissan turbo for 4ag-te setup Thu, 23 June 2005 08:33 Go to previous message
improvedae86 wrote on Thu, 23 June 2005 10:20

I would be going a t28 , or gt25 if you are going to all the work of stuffing one in the rear of a aw11, (removed text), sure they can be run up to 20psi but the reliability and it being a pain in the ass to change every 15-20.000ks in the aw11 Rolling Eyes

IMO the aw11 isnt that hard a car to work on, neither is the engine bay 'that' tight. Smile

Quote:

Has anyone run into heat soak issue in the tight rear of the AW11 ?

never took much notice when i had the old a2a i/c, though it deffinatly wasnt as effecient as the st205 w2a i/c jobbie i am runing now.

Quote:

leaving bosch bov - does that mean it's trying to run away?

it didnt leave me, honest... i threw it out. err away... Laughing
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Redline on a 4AGZE?
Next Topic:3sgte rumbling noise
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 6 18:05:07 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0067460536956787 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.