Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » what engine can go in a corona?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic
AuthorTopic
MU553R
Occasional Poster

July 2004
icon10.gif  what engine can go in a corona? Wed, 28 July 2004 11:52 Go to next message
Hi everyone, im Grant, im just asking is there any engine swap possible for my 1983 toyota corona xx, The original engine in it is an 21-rc which is an hilux engine. it is also a prick of a thing to find a manual for the damn thing, apparently they are sort of rare.

thank you
  Send a private message to this user  
7M-Brisbane
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: what engine can go in a corona? Wed, 28 July 2004 12:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The "easy" conversion for your car is a 22R out of the RT142 Corona which should bolt right in. You will need to convert your fuel system to EFI, though.

There are other options but they are all very expensive and you need at least $6000 & a lot of mechanical knowledge to do them.
people100
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: what engine can go in a corona? Wed, 28 July 2004 12:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
or the 18rgu conversion shouldnt cost much. u can use your standard gearbox but will need to make some new mounts for the engine. As for gearboxes. manuals are easy to get for r series engines. Every wrecker would have atleast 50 of them Shocked
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: what engine can go in a corona? Wed, 28 July 2004 13:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
an 18rg wont be allowed as i think the 18rg wasnt made in 83 or after. cant reverse engineer
people100
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: what engine can go in a corona? Wed, 28 July 2004 13:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I was told they were made up until and including the 1894 ra65 in the states. Can anyone confirm this.
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: what engine can go in a corona? Wed, 28 July 2004 13:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
people100 wrote on Wed, 28 July 2004 23:03

I was told they were made up until and including the 1894 ra65 in the states. Can anyone confirm this.

shit hey! 1894! didn't know they were making them back then Razz

sorry Smile
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: what engine can go in a corona? Thu, 29 July 2004 00:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The 18R-G was never sold in the US, but the JDM RA63 came with an 18R-GEU right until the end of the A6 Celica production run. So in theory you should be able to find an 83+ 18R-GEU.
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: what engine can go in a corona? Thu, 29 July 2004 00:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1UZFE Very Happy

BOOYEAH!
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: what engine can go in a corona? Thu, 29 July 2004 05:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie beat me to it (his Head Cancer must be kicking in) but I also believe that the 18RG-GEU made it into the RA55 Carina in production up to August 1983, so yes, in theory, such an animal exists.
Mitch.
people100
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: what engine can go in a corona? Thu, 29 July 2004 07:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just as i thought. and i meant 1984 not 1894 Laughing
MU553R
Occasional Poster

July 2004
Re: what engine can go in a corona? Thu, 29 July 2004 09:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
is the 18rg out of a celica, 2000 gt? how bout the 4age? would dat bolt up?
Hot Celica
Regular

March 2004
Re: what engine can go in a corona? Thu, 29 July 2004 09:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the 18rg in the ra63 was an efi motor, if you went carbs you had better make sure it dosnt put out more emissions than a 21rc, that said

if i was you id be sticking in any 18rg, showing the dept trans that that motor was used in 1983, there would be nobody there who would give that much of a stuff to do all the research to see whether or not the 18rg in your corona is pre 83, and no engineering required as the capacity is less than a 21rc

4age wouldnt be worth doing, youd have to change a shitload of setup when there is stronger newer engines you could be putting in for the same effort of making it work
Hot Celica
Regular

March 2004
Re: what engine can go in a corona? Thu, 29 July 2004 09:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
18rg is way easier to put in than a 22re too, less wiring to do
Rona_Drifter
Regular

March 2005
Re: what engine can go in a corona? Wed, 22 June 2005 13:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah an 18R would bolt in nicely, no fuss. But the offer is always open to wack in a 2S!!! Wahoo! lol. 22RE is the best 4 power and they're not expencive and too hard to fit, if u know ur auto electronics well, it'll be a breeze. as for an Age.. no way, they're good for small corollas, but u really wanna go bigger with rona's, being a medium sized car you need something under the hood that'll give it a kick up the ass like 1G's and so on. get those rear's fryin up. But from my experience the 2SC and 22RE has been like Thrash, Drink, No power, in that order! In other words this post was useless. lol. Laughing

[Updated on: Wed, 22 June 2005 14:09]

Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: what engine can go in a corona? Wed, 22 June 2005 23:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thread ressurrection!

[Updated on: Thu, 23 June 2005 01:23]

Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: what engine can go in a corona? Thu, 23 June 2005 01:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rona Drifter, can you please stop digging up old irrelevant threads? This one is a year old FFS. Rolling Eyes
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: what engine can go in a corona? Thu, 23 June 2005 03:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MR 1JZ wrote on Thu, 29 July 2004 10:06

1UZFE Very Happy

BOOYEAH!

Very Happy
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: what engine can go in a corona? Thu, 23 June 2005 03:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bogan car needs a bogan motor.

get an old 5 litre V8 out of a ford and throw it in there.

schwing.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: what engine can go in a corona? Thu, 23 June 2005 03:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gee aren't i lucky to be associated with these ppl because of the car i own, thank god i'm selling it at the end of the year. 1ggte is the only answer though, and as for the 22re argument, its slow but you have fun trying and heck it hell funny wacthing the faces of ppl when they are suprised that the old shit box does move and keeps up and beats moderatley quick hatches. Sure its slow old and an insult to technology but it has what current small cars lack and that is torque.
As for the wieght equation rona drifter you're wrong there to at 1080kg for an RT142 equipped with a heavy 22re, the previous model in question would be lighter and with a 4age you'd shave plenty of weight it could be a moderate conversion but a lot of work (and it'd look tiny in the engine bay and marginally quicker if then the stock motor) a 4agze would be a better motor.
Rona_Drifter
Regular

March 2005
Re: what engine can go in a corona? Thu, 23 June 2005 12:46 Go to previous message
I'm so very sorry Norbie! lol.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic
Previous Topic:How do you test 3tgte oil pump?
Next Topic:need brake part numbers for early st185
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 09:26:30 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0051290988922119 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.