Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
bantech
Regular

September 2004
Air Compressor Woes Thu, 23 June 2005 07:32 Go to next message
Hope someone can help with a couple of air compressor questions.

I'm using a cheap and nasty Supercheap job that's been borrowed from a mate. Its a long term loan. Its rate at 2HP, 7.5 CFM with a 21 litre tank.

Problem is it starts refilling within 20 secs of starting and then just loses pressure. At full speed it seems OK with a DA air sander but I get no time out of it.

So my questions are:
1. Do I get a 2nd compressor and hook them up in parallel? This should give twice the flow and twice the capacity - or is that wrong. If so, how do I hook them up in parallel? Is it a hose between the 2 outlets and a T Piece.

2. Can I use a gas cylinder and just increase capacity? If so where do I plumb in a second tank

3. Am I dreaming? Do I just have to spend the big bucks?

Any guidance appreciated.
  Send a private message to this user    
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Air Compressor Woes Thu, 23 June 2005 09:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1. Yes you could, this gives you twice the air throughput as well, just make sure you're not overloading your power point.

2. Yes, anywhere in line - i.e. either in the air line, or if there is another fitting in the other end of the air tank with a plug in it, get the appropriate fitting

3. Not necessarily, but if the compressor itself is just plain incapable, that's the way it will always be. I've never had any happiness with small compressors myself for using things like die grinder, rattle gun or even just blowing stuff off. It's amazing what you can pick up pre-loved though... Small compressors are great for blowing up tyres, and busting inflatable toys/balls, but that's about it really. That's why a proper compressor costs a lot more than a Supercheap one!
bantech
Regular

September 2004
Re: Air Compressor Woes Thu, 23 June 2005 10:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks mrshin

I'll try a second tank tomorrow - then start the search for pre-loved.
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Air Compressor Woes Thu, 23 June 2005 21:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I scored a Supercheap one quite well cheaply last year, and i found it to be quite good for the price. Sure it hammered away at full ball when i was doing stuff, and had to stop to let it recharge quite often.
Check the end of that line which runs down the side of the tank, apparently a lot of them leak there.
Ben Wilson
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Air Compressor Woes Fri, 24 June 2005 01:00 Go to previous message
I've got two GMC compressors hooked up parallel to each other.

They work fairly well, but, they are bloody loud when they are running.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Bundera 22RET Conversion
Next Topic:How does cruise control work?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 8 16:01:12 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0060019493103027 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.