Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Conquest
Forums Junkie

October 2003
icon6.gif  Look, I can see my house Tue, 21 June 2005 14:42 Go to next message
Alright so I ripped this straight off the Whirlpool forums.

Anyway in case anyone missed it Google maps now has some decent satellite images of Australia, mainly the capital cities so far. Just go the site & put in Sydney, Australia or wherever you're located...

Feel free to post up your city or suburb, this is my house Very Happy If you travel straight east you can see the airport.

Also if you want to see some decent sights check out Google sightseeing Cool
  Send a private message to this user    
Callifo
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: Look, I can see my house Tue, 21 June 2005 14:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tried mine but they cover so little of Adelaide that my house being ~40kms out makes it available only on about 4 from max zoom. Its like a pixel in size so not much to look at.

Tried the NASA World Wind software which is free and got my house large enough to actually identify. Seems better than google maps.
Conquest
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Look, I can see my house Tue, 21 June 2005 15:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I know what you mean, my place in Wollongong isn't too clear but I can still make it out. Lucky I have an oval right next door. But if you live near a major capital city you can get a pretty good snapshot of your suburb, I didn't realise I had so much green space around me. In Sydney the high resolution pictures go pretty far but i'm not sure on the other major cities.

You have to download that Whirlwind software don't you? Since it's around 200mb i'll download it tonight when i'm off peak.

[Updated on: Tue, 21 June 2005 15:12]

Callifo
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: Look, I can see my house Tue, 21 June 2005 15:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Whirlwind was something like that yeh. The detail of America is very impressive in that program. You can zoom in far enough to see people and cars on the road. Australia doesnt get that sort of detail unfornately but its good enough to see buildings.
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Look, I can see my house Tue, 21 June 2005 15:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i'm here somewhere (picture was taken before our house renovations so satellite shot is at least 9 months old). zoom out and you get to see how chaotic brisbane is.

this is Queensland Raceway and the next-door Willowbank drag track.

unfortunately the old Lakeside Raceway is on the edge of hi-res coverage adn isn't fully covered.
Conquest
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Look, I can see my house Tue, 21 June 2005 15:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Followed your picture, is that the Gabba I see?

Was looking at my picture again and i'm pretty sure I can see my car parked where I used to leave it Shocked
Yian
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

August 2004
Re: Look, I can see my house Tue, 21 June 2005 15:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Melbourne doesn't seem to work Sad
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Look, I can see my house Tue, 21 June 2005 15:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Conquest wrote on Wed, 22 June 2005 01:22

Followed your picture, is that the Gabba I see?

Was looking at my picture again and i'm pretty sure I can see my car parked where I used to leave it Shocked

yup - that's the gabba

must be an old pic as they've completed the ring of the new stadium around the field.
Conquest
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Look, I can see my house Tue, 21 June 2005 15:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yian wrote on Wed, 22 June 2005 01:27

Melbourne doesn't seem to work Sad

Some of it does but it's strange that the CBD is blurry Confused Out towards Geelong it's quite clear.

Anyway here's the MCG to use as a starting point.
davedave
Forums Junkie

October 2003

Re: Look, I can see my house Tue, 21 June 2005 15:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That rocks!!!!

Trees pretty much block the house though, but I'm in the middle there somewhere Smiley =

[Updated on: Tue, 21 June 2005 15:46]

Conquest
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Look, I can see my house Tue, 21 June 2005 15:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
davedave wrote on Wed, 22 June 2005 01:45

That rocks!!!!

Trees pretty much block the house though, but I'm in the middle there somewhere Smiley =

In that picture I can see both my girlfriends house and my uncles house Laughing
davedave
Forums Junkie

October 2003

Re: Look, I can see my house Tue, 21 June 2005 15:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Smiley =

The zoomed right in pic?
Conquest
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Look, I can see my house Tue, 21 June 2005 16:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Not the zoomed in pic, just the one you posted.

If I zoom in and click down I can see the jetty out the back of my uncle's place...

[Updated on: Tue, 21 June 2005 16:11]

Yian
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

August 2004
Re: Look, I can see my house Tue, 21 June 2005 16:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Took me ages to find the closest main road to me. Melbourne's suburbs seem to be really blurry... Confused
hickoz_bro
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: Look, I can see my house Wed, 22 June 2005 00:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
melbourne weather sucks... that's why...

i've gone from my house in brisbane. to our farm, almost an hr away... going to my mates place 1.5hrs away...

lol... this is sooo cool... it's scary Rolling Eyes
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Look, I can see my house Wed, 22 June 2005 00:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
they seem to have missed campbelltown. I think i was following the m5/hum highway towards campbelltown cos saw the track where they have the RC cars running round at moorebank and the road tolls, moving backwards from that point and getting close to cambo then it say we have no images of this area.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Look, I can see my house Wed, 22 June 2005 00:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
double post Very Happy

[Updated on: Wed, 22 June 2005 00:41]

cannonball
Forums Junkie

July 2004
Re: Look, I can see my house Wed, 22 June 2005 00:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Try zooming out, they have images of further out, just lower res.
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Look, I can see my house Wed, 22 June 2005 01:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=melbourne&ll=-38 .348808,145.586700&spn=0.045834,0.062656&t =k&hl=en
StockAE86
Regular

July 2004
Re: Look, I can see my house Wed, 22 June 2005 01:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My House
My house is the one with the green little dots in the paddocks. They are silage. Thats right kids, although i live 50km out of melb its fairly country.

You can even see my mates little autox track in the paddock just up the road
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Look, I can see my house Wed, 22 June 2005 02:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The pics of my part of Melbourne are at least 3 years old and probably more. The roofline of my house is that of the house before we knocked it over and there are no cars in the backyard, making it a pic that is over 6 years old. Nevertheless, pretty neat.
missa
Occasional Poster

May 2005
Re: Look, I can see my house Wed, 22 June 2005 05:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
those maps aren't very good! theres a site on the net somewhere that you can actually zoom rite in to your house and see your dog out the back, i think they were updated every couple hours or something, i used to look at them all the time when i was at tafe
white86
Regular

May 2004
Re: Look, I can see my house Wed, 22 June 2005 06:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lol http://maps.google.com/maps?q=brisbane,+australia& amp;ll=-27.386856,152.783958&spn=0.005021,0.00 7918&t=k&hl=en my house

It took a while to find but my place is in the upper and right hand side of that map, with the pool. Follow that awesome windy road back to civilisation (south and west), thats how far I drive to get to the shops haha. It's called Mt Nebo Road if any of you know it, awesome drive!

also n00b question, but how do you name you urls, so they say "my house" instead of the actual adress?

[Updated on: Wed, 22 June 2005 07:19]

79rollaboy
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Look, I can see my house Wed, 22 June 2005 07:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hahaha thats awesome... Theres all cars on my front lawn, cant tell what but...
Rinmax
Regular

September 2004
Re: Look, I can see my house Wed, 22 June 2005 07:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nice work with the pic of the Holden proving grounds
Malicia
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Look, I can see my house Wed, 22 June 2005 07:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I can't find Canberra
riceburna73
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Look, I can see my house Wed, 22 June 2005 09:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fukkn can only see blank boxes with the little cross in the top left hand corner fuck you dial up Mad
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Look, I can see my house Wed, 22 June 2005 09:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=tokyo&ll=43.0830 57,141.338940&spn=0.036993,0.051327&t=k&am p;hl=ja

heh heh, anything less than 10meg is dial up Razz
skellator
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: Look, I can see my house Wed, 22 June 2005 10:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
here's the closest thing to a racetrack near me that you can see on these maps:

coffs gokart track! Laughing
raleigh raceway (also gokarts, plus bikes etc, no cars) isnt on the good bits of the map Confused

oh, neither is my house Sad

[Updated on: Wed, 22 June 2005 10:50]

Conquest
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Look, I can see my house Wed, 22 June 2005 10:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Malicia wrote on Wed, 22 June 2005 17:55

I can't find Canberra

Here's Canberra. Make sure you select the satellite option Wink
Malicia
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Look, I can see my house Wed, 22 June 2005 12:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Now I can see my house Very Happy

It looks like these were taken when the draught was at its worst. Everything so borwn, but you can pick which places have "Government Exemption" as they're all bright green lol.

I can also make out a red blob infront of my house, most likley my old RA40!!! Laughing

[Updated on: Wed, 22 June 2005 13:00]

dimmy77_03
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Look, I can see my house Wed, 22 June 2005 13:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
this is my house: http://maps.google.com/maps?q=sydney,+australia&am p;ll=-33.875012,151.228352&spn=0.010879,0.0158 36&t=k&hl=en

They blur out the CBD and surrounding areas within like 5km tho, so my house is in the blurry area Sad

[Updated on: Wed, 22 June 2005 13:11]

towe_001
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: Look, I can see my house Wed, 22 June 2005 13:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
white86 wrote on Wed, 22 June 2005 16:56

lol http://maps.google.com/maps?q=brisbane,+australia& amp; amp;ll=-27.386856,152.783958&spn=0.005021,0.00 7918&t=k&hl=en my house
also n00b question, but how do you name you urls, so they say "my house" instead of the actual adress?

You almost got it except for [/url] its in the wrong spot.
[ url=http://www.blah.blah.blah] <-close off the opening url [/url ]

Easy way is to have a look at someones quote and see how they did it.
towe_001
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: Look, I can see my house Wed, 22 June 2005 13:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
After a few minutes seaching for bloody noosa which was a nice crisp pic then i moved map to the west a little for my place and all went to mush. Apart from the forest fire that we had months back. I knew it was big, but Shocked
mynameisrodney
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Look, I can see my house Wed, 22 June 2005 14:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Sydney&ll=-33.70 7739,150.982865&spn=0.006083,0.008980&t=k& amp;hl=en
mine is right in the middle of the page, the one with bush all around it.

chris
Choony_AE86
Forums Junkie

May 2004

Re: Look, I can see my house Wed, 22 June 2005 16:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Can anyone find rowville
is there any S.E suburbs of melbourne showing? i cant identify anything, everything looks the same to me and i dont know any good landmarks around me

btw, some of these big roads seem pretty pointless, looks like a one way street that ends a few km's down the road, forcing u to make a uie.

Cheers
Choony
Instigator_PsY
Regular

December 2003
Re: Look, I can see my house Wed, 22 June 2005 16:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
when is sim city gonna look like that?
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Look, I can see my house Thu, 23 June 2005 01:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
For fun I did a search of some important political sites in the USA. The White House has its roof (and that of surrounding buildings) blocked out and the Capitol is blurred so no detail can be made out. The damage to the Pentagon can be seen. The Twin Towers pit is also clearly seen.

It would be interesting to know if strategically important nuclear power plants have been blurred out.

You can clearly see people in Tiananmen Square.
Malicia
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Look, I can see my house Thu, 23 June 2005 05:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I wonder if anyone can find the "Terrorist Training Camps" that are in out back vic currently all over the news.....

h3ff44
Forums Junkie

February 2005
Re: Look, I can see my house Thu, 23 June 2005 06:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
looks like ur out in the stix... i couldnt figure out where my place is coz u cant zoom in on it.... Sad

i tried to find my place but couldnt find ne main roads... couldnt work em out
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Look, I can see my house Thu, 23 June 2005 07:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rinmax wrote on Wed, 22 June 2005 17:54

nice work with the pic of the Holden proving grounds

Very Happy

Ford's :

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=lara,+australia& ll=-37.887812,144.408288&spn=0.011630,0.015836 &t=k&hl=en

Can't see any Territory's running around . . .
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Look, I can see my house Thu, 23 June 2005 07:50 Go to previous message
skellator wrote on Wed, 22 June 2005 20:50

here's the closest thing to a racetrack near me that you can see on these maps:

coffs gokart track! Laughing
raleigh raceway (also gokarts, plus bikes etc, no cars) isnt on the good bits of the map Confused

oh, neither is my house Sad

hasn't the coffs one been closed down for a couple of years now, raleigh is supposed to rock i am yet to go on there yet, i know most of this shit cos we holday'd up in urunga for like 13 years
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Just wanted to say hello
Next Topic:INDIANAPOLIS SHOCK !!!
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 09:15:59 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0078971385955811 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.