Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
ToyT18
Regular

July 2004
T-18 brake upgrade Thu, 23 June 2005 08:18 Go to next message
Hi,

i was wanting to put RA60 struts in my T-18 and wanted to know what i have to do and if the strut tops and the bottom of the strut with 2 bolts will line up perfect? and i know i need to use a sigma control arm? which will give it 3degrees neg camber any one got a pic of which rod it is that i need to change? also will this brake upgrade be noticeable and stop much better? i know they use ventilated discs but how big are they compared to the T-18.

is there a bigger upgrade than an RA60 strut that i could do?
  Send a private message to this user    
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: T-18 brake upgrade Thu, 23 June 2005 09:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've posted on this before for AE86's and KE70s - same ideas apply. I've used the RA60 brakes a few times, and always ended up moving on from them anyway, they're not really sufficiently more effective that the standard CD sized ones. The RA60 struts can be a good thing, though.
Turbo_Tim
Regular

February 2005
Re: T-18 brake upgrade Thu, 23 June 2005 11:45 Go to previous message
We are using ra60 struts. I never drove it with the originals so I cant compare.

Ill try and give you the right details anyway.

You need.

Ra60 struts with steering arms t18 and sigma ones wont work

Sigma 1 lower control arms. These are from the earliest sigmas. They are a one piece control arm. The later ones have a bolt on ball joint. These will not fit exactly, you will need to reduce the length of the crush tube and bushes. You will also need to angle grind some material off the rear of the arms where they attach to the car else they will catch and not move freely.

Use the t18 strut top. Springs might be tricky. The standard t18 springs taper down to the bottom perch. You need a spring which fits in the top original t18 spring holder and doesnt taper down too small so that it will still fit in the lower ra60 holder. We just cut the taper part of the standard t18 spring as a temporary fix.
Dont even bother trying to make ra60 springs and top holders fit, it wont work!!!

The brakes are good enough for the racing we do. There isnt that much hard braking though, only from about 70 to 30 once a lap is about the hardest work they get. Never seen fade however. They are really touchy with the standard booster. Due to the camber expect tire wear, but handling should be improved. The problem with camber is that it will also reducing braking due to the tire angle. Really quite easy to lock them on our car, that might be some what do to my lousy driving skills as I find I am getting better.

There are a few other miscellaneous things you will have to do e.g. drilling new sway bar holes in the arm, but overall if you use a bit of logic its not too hard a task!
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:need brake part numbers for early st185
Next Topic:3tgte oil hole??
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 11 23:16:57 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0048329830169678 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.