Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
xolent
Forums Junkie

October 2004
AE86 LUG NUTS HELP Thu, 23 June 2005 12:18 Go to next message
I'm just wondering, all those people with ae86's that have aftermarket rims on. What lug nuts do you prefer/use/reccommend?

I've seen these ray engineering ones that go for about 200+ and are apparently uber light. MoRe KiLlErWaTtZ tO ThA WhiiLz Yo!@!!eleveneleven!!

Now, I'm just wondering, for all those ae86's out there, which one's do you use? Also, how much and where abouts did you get them from?

And for the ones you currently have (with your aftermarket rim), could they still be used with different rims?

And what style is better? Longer=better? I've seen so many shapes and sizes (well not really but I get confused with them). I'm not sure if the one on my stockers are factory or not, but their short and fat. I could not accomodate my hotwires.

Oh yeh, I'm not sure about this, but what size would the nuts have to be? And what cars share them?

I hope people out there can broaden my horizons! (And yes I have searched toymods, club4ag and google'd it, if you some how found it, tell me what to type up!)

Send a private message to this user    
chrisellis
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: AE86 LUG NUTS HELP Thu, 23 June 2005 13:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fark rays engineering lug nuts Shocked Shocked Shocked

i use longer ones from peps, as they were needed for my rims, thye are much longer than stock, yes longer is better, as it speads load that is put on them over a greater area (see drift battle, forget which issue, lol).

A friends set of hotwires also needed longer ones, get urself some sets from an autoshop and see if they fit, obviously get the longer ones, if they dont work u can always return them.
xolent
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: AE86 LUG NUTS HELP Thu, 23 June 2005 13:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Spreads load? Woah I did not know this, even as a mechanical engineer in the working I still didn't know this!

I can always return them? Are you sure? I've seen the ones at autobarn, after opening that package I don't think they would let me Confused

How much did a set for you/your mate get them for?
chrisellis
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: AE86 LUG NUTS HELP Thu, 23 June 2005 14:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
speads load - well its what i read in drift battle Razz but if u got more thread on the nut it makes sence that the wheel trying to push off pushes against the nut, the more thread the nut is connected to the more force thats exerted agaist it can be spread over. Simple physics Rolling Eyes well kinda simple i guess

return them - hell yes, u tell them what u want them for, they show u product, now just say if i try them and it doesent work can i bring them back, they said yes when i asked. And my friend actually had to take some back after testing, and they took them back. They sold u something that wasnt what u needed, take it back, simple.

Set of 4 with 4 washers are $10, so ur up for $40 for all 4 wheels.
xolent
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: AE86 LUG NUTS HELP Thu, 23 June 2005 14:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You wouldn't happen to remember what store this was would ya? Smile
chrisellis
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: AE86 LUG NUTS HELP Thu, 23 June 2005 14:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
me - pep's as i know a guy there, hence $8 each...
my friend - super cheap i think

basically ive seen them at every auto store ive entered for around $10 (give or take $2)
Turbo_Tim
Regular

February 2005
Re: AE86 LUG NUTS HELP Thu, 23 June 2005 21:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
We got the longer type that go into the wheel from supercheap for the t18. Any other type would have been only held on by a few turns of thread, which would have definately failed! Just make sure you get the right thread size. I cant remember off the top of my head what it is.
StockAE86
Regular

July 2004
Re: AE86 LUG NUTS HELP Thu, 23 June 2005 22:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have got MX73 cressida wheels on my 86 and am also running the wheel nuts from the MX73. They are quite long, nearly double of the standard 86 ones from memory.
They have a washer on them so not really to be used on a tapered hole i guess.
Skaney
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: AE86 LUG NUTS HELP Sat, 25 June 2005 03:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If the wheel has tapered holes, use tapered wheel nuts. If the wheels dont, use the shank and washer style.

Just got to a local tyre store and let them figure out what you need. If your lucky they might have second ones laying around and give to you for free.
Skaney
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: AE86 LUG NUTS HELP Sat, 25 June 2005 03:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
^^ was supposed to read second HAND ones... oops
monkeymajik
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: AE86 LUG NUTS HELP Sat, 25 June 2005 12:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What is the thread size for an ae86?
xolent
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: AE86 LUG NUTS HELP Sat, 25 June 2005 12:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks for the reply guys!

by "tappered holes" do you mean those kinda indented holes that the washer is supposedly is suppose to go?

Yeh monkeymajik, I was wondering that too!
FKN16V
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: AE86 LUG NUTS HELP Sun, 26 June 2005 00:05 Go to previous message
monkeymajik wrote on Sat, 25 June 2005 22:23

What is the thread size for an ae86?

12x1.5 is what im using?

Cheers

Steve
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply