Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Conquest
Forums Junkie

October 2003
External Hard Drives Fri, 17 June 2005 11:28 Go to next message
So I need to get a bigger harddrive for my computer and i've been looking into the external option. After a bit of reading i've found there are two types, the plug and play and the external enclosures.

I'd like the portability of a 2.5" IDE enclosure which plugs into USB...

Pros: Small, portable, doesn't require a fan or external power source.
Cons: The drives are somewhat limited, maximum of about 80gb.

Or I could get the 3.5" IDE enclosure and then I can use a much bigger drive, but that also requires better cooling and an external power source as far as I know. I don't want to be too limited in the size since I probably would have to upgrade again in a few months, so i'm leaning towards the 3.5" drives.

Does anyone have any experience with these?
Can you recommend any particular enclosures and/or hard drives which you're happy with?

[Updated on: Fri, 17 June 2005 11:29]

Send a private message to this user    
rthy
Forums Junkie

January 2004
wtf is a jabber? a punch line?
Re: External Hard Drives Fri, 17 June 2005 13:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
get the IDE ones, i have one and it works fine, + bigger hdd

cdrom ide case $55
200gig Hdd $135 Razz
= $190
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: External Hard Drives Wed, 22 June 2005 07:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have a 2.5" USB one. It's only useful if you're transfering stuff around from computer to computer.

The 3.5" ones are larger, faster and cheaper. But heavier (the reason why I didn't buy one, too heavy to be lugging around with my laptop).

Having said that, unless you're going to be using multiple computers, just save money and buy an internal!
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: External Hard Drives Wed, 22 June 2005 09:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ive got a 160GB 3.5".

It's got a WD drive some sort of housing and a power source. Back in around January I got this and a 128mb flash drive for $160 from Ebay.

As Nark suggests the 3.5" would not be cool to cart around day to day, for Laptop 2.5" is the go (thats if you are using a laptop Smile)
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: External Hard Drives Wed, 22 June 2005 09:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my dad just got a laptop, and got a 2.5inch extranal case for like 30 bucks and had a 80gig laptop harddrive put in it that way he has the 80 gig hard drive in the lap top + THE external one
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: External Hard Drives Wed, 22 June 2005 09:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

Skip wrote on Wed, 22 June 2005 19:02

Back in around January I got this and a 128mb flash drive for $160 from Ebay.

Crikey, that's a lot of money. You can get a 256meg one for under $50 and a 1G for less than $160.

seeyuzz
river
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: External Hard Drives Wed, 22 June 2005 09:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hehe we paid that much for the 80 gig hard drive to go in the 2.5inch case
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: External Hard Drives Wed, 22 June 2005 10:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i haven't gotten one yet, but the fujitsu 2.5" look purdy...
for me it will be a back up drive (ie ghost whole drive if possible), and it is light enough to carry with you when needed (no point having an external HDD that weighs as much as the laptop Razz )

comes down to if you want capacity or function...

you can also get the ones with 4 x 3.5' HDD's... here they have them in Tera blocks... cost is a _little_ higher tho

like this 2 Tera block
http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/trurl_pag econtent?lp=ja_en&trurl=http%3a%2f%2fwww.yodob ashi.com%2fenjoy%2fmore%2fi%2fcat_38974453_64_1368 _16353203%2f38423532.html
http://a1441.g.akamai.net/7/1441/5846/011205/img.yodobashi.com/i/38/94/42/38944256.pjpeg
Conquest
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: External Hard Drives Wed, 22 June 2005 11:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nark wrote on Wed, 22 June 2005 17:35

...unless you're going to be using multiple computers, just save money and buy an internal!

Internal is pretty much out of the question unless I swap my old drive. I've got free IDE ports and a spare drive bay but i'm concerned about the PSU capacity and also heat buildup since it's hot enough in there already.

I figure an external drive enclosure would probably be cheaper than buying more fans and a better PSU.

With an external drive I can swap files between my desktop & laptop as well as mirror the laptop so I won't need to carry it around. I'm also considering buying another computer in the next 6-12 months so at least I shouldn't have any trouble transferring files when the need arises.

Thanks for the suggestions, looks like 3.5" is the way to go Cool

That tera block looks crazy, who would need that sort of capacity for personal use? Then again I remember thinking my old 100mb drives were going to be sufficient for a long time to come Wink
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: External Hard Drives Wed, 22 June 2005 14:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
get a firewire card then attach as much storage as you can need... when you fill that up, simply daisy-chain on another drive.

firewire is much faster than usb - some can be powered via the firewire bus.

cheers,
charles.
acreese
Regular

May 2004
Re: External Hard Drives Wed, 22 June 2005 14:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thechuckster wrote on Wed, 22 June 2005 22:09

get a firewire card then attach as much storage as you can need... when you fill that up, simply daisy-chain on another drive.

firewire is much faster than usb - some can be powered via the firewire bus.

cheers,
charles.

YES!

if you get an external plug and play drive make sure it is a USB and Firewire drive.

Use firewire where possible. Much faster transfers, greater performance etc.

-Adam
illuminatus
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: External Hard Drives Thu, 23 June 2005 02:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
firewire is crap.
i have a external 300gig maxtor. i use it to store home videos before edditing so i can reuse the cassette. anyways, the files are about 16 gig each, fire wire wont transfer it. USB dose it with no probs.
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: External Hard Drives Thu, 23 June 2005 02:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
then your firewire drive or drivers for your firewire drive or the filesystem on the drive are duds or are incorrectly configured.

firewire drives are ideal for video.
Indi
Regular

December 2004
Re: External Hard Drives Thu, 23 June 2005 04:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LOL you're all computer geeks Laughing

river wrote on Wed, 22 June 2005 19:43

Hi,

Crikey, that's a lot of money. You can get a 256meg one for under $50 and a 1G for less than $160.

seeyuzz
river

^^^^ agreed, Officeworks is selling the 1G USB drives for $149.00 at the moment, I bought my 256mb one for $50 and a 64mb one for the office for $30
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: External Hard Drives Thu, 23 June 2005 04:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Indi wrote on Thu, 23 June 2005 12:36

LOL you're all computer geeks Laughing

river wrote on Wed, 22 June 2005 19:43

Hi,

seeyuzz
river

^^^^ agreed, Officeworks is selling the 1G USB drives for $149.00 at the moment, I bought my 256mb one for $50 and a 64mb one for the office for $30

What drugs are you guys on?

I got a 160GB external hardrive and a 128mb flashdrive for $160 total, whats wrong with that?
Indi
Regular

December 2004
Re: External Hard Drives Thu, 23 June 2005 04:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skip wrote on Thu, 23 June 2005 14:52

Girl... and I believe they are called olanzapine and quetiapine Laughing
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: External Hard Drives Thu, 23 June 2005 05:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Indi wrote on Thu, 23 June 2005 12:58

Skip wrote on Thu, 23 June 2005 14:52

Girl... and I believe they are called olanzapine and quetiapine Laughing

Sorry Indi, I didnt mean to quote your post anyway that was an accident Embarassed

I was reffering to the other losers.
Indi
Regular

December 2004
Re: External Hard Drives Thu, 23 June 2005 05:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Razz That's okay... and I was joking about being on the anti-psychotics too Up To Something
rthy
Forums Junkie

January 2004
wtf is a jabber? a punch line?
Re: External Hard Drives Thu, 23 June 2005 08:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
any 1 know if they can mod the xbox to have a raid array? 800gig of games? YES PLEASE!
clubagreenie
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: External Hard Drives Thu, 23 June 2005 14:28 Go to previous message
I went through a number of cases, returned as they wouldnt necesarily work the way I wanted to.

Found a brand called blueeye. Firewire and usb2.0, best thing is they plug in firewire to mac and for some reason by sheer blind test usb simultaneously to PC. Also works if have ex hdd firewire and ex dvdburner usb and vice versa. Still trying to make it firewire network through the same connection but live in hope. not that i cant make it network but why be the same as everyone else.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Witz OwNz TeH Estimal!!
Next Topic:funnier side of F1 USGP
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 17:21:26 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.009044885635376 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.