Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
MA70 -> JZA70 Conversion Tue, 26 April 2005 01:27 Go to next message
This will be a trial run to get information on what people want to know to do this conversion as we are documenting and photographing the conversion to hopefully create a FAQ Article for future reference.

This all started after the 7M-GTE in my brothers MA70 GT Limited Blew the headgasket and after some quotes about rebuilding the 7M and running the numbers on a 1JZ-GTE conversion, in OURCase the 1JZ conversion came up trumps.

The aim of this conversion is to get the car on the road as soon as possible and running reliably, there would/could/should be other things that we could have done during the conversion however once again in our case we deamed them un-necesary at this point in time.

Recipient car:- MA70 GT Limited, Auto, Aero top, Digital Dash.
Doner Car:- JZA-70 Manual (R154)1/2 cut (appears to be a base spec model - No ABS, Analog Dash, fewer power options) Purchaced from CVAP (forum sponser) Andrew did a really good job of getting the engine up to Sydney for the long weekend. The engine payment was confirmed Monday morning, the engine was delivered to Melbourne Depot Tuesday, arrived in Sydney Wed morning by 9am, in the garage by Thursday. Andrew also threw in the JZ tailshaft (just in case) plus the exhaust system that origonally came with the car. Pleasure to deal with and Highly recommend him for anything you may need that he deals in.

My brother Matt (Maphril) is relativly new to the modifying car scene and is generally of the opinion if it is broken send it back to Toyota to get it fixed which is all well and good but isn't in the spirit of modifying, but he is very cluey and currently works as a electronics Technician which was an advantage. My experience in engine swaps is pretty basic (18R-C - 18R-G - 18R-GEU (several times now)) and I looked at this conversion as mearly a step up with more wires hanging off the engine, more accesories hanging off the engine and more gear on the cross member. ie more bolts to strip the heads on Rolling Eyes
In general terms we are not Mechanics by trade and Haven't tackled anything like this previously.

The Conversion:-
Friday Night:- Prep work.
We spent friday night getting the cars into position in the garage up on ramps, stands, jacks and pulled the piping off the top of the engine bay of the JZ cut and photographed the vacuum piping and general layout of PS, A/C, intercooler piping for future reference. Pulled the glove box out to get to the computer and pulled the engine loom through the firewall.

Saturday:- Pulling out the 1J!
Saturday I went about pulling off all power steering, A/C fuel, and wiring that connected the engine to the car, leaving the plugs connected to the sensors for ease of re-connection, in fact we even left the power steering fluid bottle as part of the engine package. we decided that we would leave all pipes comning out of the engine connected to the engine rather than swapping it in the engine bays later. it was also found that the intercooler on the JZ is much larger than the MA and the JZ only had a hydraulic fan where as the MA had the engine fan + an electric thermo fan + 2 small thermo fans. It appears the 2 small thermos were for the Oil cooler that the MA had which the JZ didn't have. In the spirit of getting the MA bay looking like the JZ bay all the fans were removed from the MA (however we will try to relocate the Big thermo later.
Whilst I was messing up a perfectly good engine bay Matt was pulling the Interior of the Cut appart to get the pedals and clutch cyl. accel cables and pulling out the gear shifter. (auto - man conversion as well) and pulled the interior out of his car to prepare to install it in. Engine was removed from the cut at about 10pm Saturday night.

Sunday:- Pulling the BHG 7M. + wiring
Sunday was the same for me as Sat pulling off all engine connections and removing the radiator, intercooler etc. 7M was removed from the engine bay at 6pm. Matt spent the day cutting the Plugs off the 7M loom and cut and shutting them to the 1J loom for all the plugs that feed information to the interior in terms of A/C controls and Dash information with the help of diagrams lifted from the internet. He finished the main loom about the same time I had the engine ready to be pulled out.
The rest of the night was spent comparing empty engine bays and swapping basic stuff over (clutch lines, Accel cables etc) beer and lack off sleep prevented any further productive work.

Monday ANZAC day P/H:- Cross member Mayhem
Matt spent most of the day putting his interior back together, now improved with 3 pedals and clutch cylinder! Cool without incident.
I spent the morning pulling out the crossmember (brakes and all) from the cut after some measurements confirming that the crossmembers were in fact different enough to require them to be changed. (bugger) the brakes from Matts car are to be swapped onto the JZ member as well as some of the PS stuff which was overhauled recently. Time constraints left the project with the JZ crossmember on the floor in front of the MA waiting to drop the MA member. Looking in the empty bays all of the A/C lines are identical between the MA and the JZA. the PS lines are similar even thought the filler bottles are on opposite sides of the bay (return lines run under the engine itself) there is a difference in the cooling lines between the two bays further investigation will show if the exrta cooling setup is for the hydraulic fan and the PS cooling lines are the same or if there is a diiference there and require swapping before the intercooler is replaced. was also found that the bonnet release support bracket had to be swapped to fit the 1J intercooler as the MA was smaller and slightly thinner.

To be done: the MA crossmember is to be dropped next weekend and swapping of PS rack bushes etc will occur on the floor before being lifted into position where the brakes will be hooked up again and PS lines bolted back in. engine lowered in and reconnected. Drive shaft connected. Exhaust connected. wiring loom run back through fire wall. there are some differences between the wiring for the fuse box in the engine bay but this seems to be to do with the alternater being on the other side of the 1J comapred to the 7M. Matt will be chasing wires and will extend the loom in that area to reconnect the Alt neatly as there are more wires in the MA due to the extra options (fog lighs, Fans, ABS) that the front cut didn't have so we are trying to retain the MA loom in that area and add to it the 1J specific wiring. then hopefully (after oil change, fluid change and bleed and some new hoses to replace older looking ones) it will be turn key and brooooom!!!

To be updated as work is done but please feel free to ask anything that might be useful for people who want to do this in the future as I want to cover as many issues as possible before this is offically written up and submitted for a Tech Article.
Photos, wiring conversion 7M loom -> 1J loom diagrams to follow.

Cheers
Simon
  Send a private message to this user    
ZZT231
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: MA70 -> JZA70 Conversion Tue, 26 April 2005 01:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Contact Hirogen as he and his dad has recently done the conversion, looks like you are going all right Very Happy

Good luck and post any pics of the conversion if possible?

Cheers.

[Updated on: Tue, 26 April 2005 01:32]

Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: MA70 -> JZA70 Conversion Tue, 26 April 2005 01:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah photos will come once I find some time to sort throgh the 150+ so far and get all the relavent stuff together and find somewhere to host it.

In all terms of reality I would like to have been further progressed further at this point but a few small thing held us up (stripped a bolt head on the G/box crossmember on both cars Mad ) but haven't hit any real issues that we wern't prepare for in the planning research stages so I'm pretty happy at the moment.
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: MA70 -> JZA70 Conversion Tue, 26 April 2005 02:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats an awesome writeup

i do have a reqwuest for some pictures of the pedalbox if thats ok?
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: MA70 -> JZA70 Conversion Tue, 26 April 2005 02:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah will try, I hope there were photos taken of it, getting them out did involve having to drop the steering column to get to some of the bolts.
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: MA70 -> JZA70 Conversion Tue, 26 April 2005 02:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well getting them back in certainly did not require the steering column to be dropped Smile

i was just after some photos too see if it has been done correctly thats all Smile
Maphril
Regular

January 2004

Re: MA70 -> JZA70 Conversion Tue, 26 April 2005 05:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What do you mean by the pedal box? You mean photo's from up under the dash the where the pedals bolt to the firewall, or something else?
I can get them if you'd like as I don't believe photos of them have been taken.

Matt
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: MA70 -> JZA70 Conversion Tue, 26 April 2005 05:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yep under the dash where the pedals mount to the firewall, if you could get them that would be fantastic

cheers

matt Very Happy
hamgatan
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: MA70 -> JZA70 Conversion Tue, 26 April 2005 09:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
whats the back of the ma70 digi dash look like?

im stuck at the moment with trying to wire the JZA70 one into my MA70 and there are a fair few differences.. size is exactly the same (duh..), plugs are not. so its not a straight swap in and is going to require some rewiring which is fair enough..

however theres some round funny metal thing that connects into the centre of my analogue MA70 dash, but this isnt present on the donor jza70 digidash.. whats this metal thing and can it be bypassed? is this the same as the ma70 digidash..

if u can take a photo of the back of your digidash when u pull it out Lambo itd be appreciated just so i can compare -

On a side note.. whats the stock oil pressure meant to be for a healthy 7MGTE.. is it 2kg/cm for idle and about 3-4 for 3-400 rpm?
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: MA70 -> JZA70 Conversion Wed, 27 April 2005 00:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maphril would be better to answer this one but from what I know the Digi dash has about 52 wires that need to go in and the analog has 42 or somthing We have found a wiring diagram for both the analog and digi dash on the net. the other round thing you are talking about is a converter in the analog dash the speedo cable plugs into the dash whereas for the digi dash there is a separtate converter that changes the cable to a signal for the digi dash to use.

http://www.1jz-gte.us/documents/SubDocs1/1JZAnalog Gauges.pdf/
http://www.1jz-gte.us/documents/SubDocs1/1JZDigita lGauges.pdf

Hope this helps, Will look for the photos...

Simon.
Maphril
Regular

January 2004

Re: MA70 -> JZA70 Conversion Wed, 27 April 2005 02:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm still trying to figure out these wires at the moment as well so I'll be able to give you a little more of and idication when I get to it.

At the moment we're more concentrating on getting the engine in and running and I'll have a look at the body electricals after that.

hamgatan : Lambolica is right in saying that the "round metal thing" is your speedo cable and in the analog dash it acts as a mechanical means of moving your needle whereas in the digital dashes the mechanical movement has to be converted into a signal that the digial dash can decipher and display a numerical read out.

There is a different white box with 2 wires coming from it that fits into the position of your existing analog cable. You might be able to swap the end of these cables over but I think you might find it easier to get a speedo cable for a digital dash along with the converted.

When it's all up and running I'm going to try to put together a wiring diagram for those people in my situation as I found it would be much easier to just copy something that is written down as apposed to troubleshooting your ass through an entourage of wiring and potentially doing some harm to parts of your car.

I'll have a chance tonight to be able to post some photos of the conversion and send off any of those that people have requested.

Cheers,
Matt
Maphril
Regular

January 2004

Re: MA70 -> JZA70 Conversion Wed, 27 April 2005 10:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MR 1JZ ------> Email sent

hamgatan ----> How important is this photo of the back of the digi dash too you as I've put it back in was kinda hoping that it would stay that way. I do have a photo of the back of the analog dash from the JZA70 if that helps. As far as I can see there would be no difference. But then again, I thought this whole engine swapping process would be a piece of piss Embarassed

If you really want to compare these photos I'll get it out for you.

Anyway, back to the grease pit.

http://cyphered.net/gallery/albums/Matts-Images/aaa.jpg

[Updated on: Wed, 27 April 2005 10:57]

MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: MA70 -> JZA70 Conversion Wed, 27 April 2005 13:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks for the pictures dude, they have helped a lot Smile

also, good luck with your conversion, by the sounds of it, its going rather well Smile
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: MA70 -> JZA70 Conversion Wed, 27 April 2005 23:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maphril wrote on Wed, 27 April 2005 20:55

Anyway, back to the grease pit.

http://cyphered.net/gallery/albums/Matts-Images/aaa.jpg

Ahhh yes..... the joys of working in a big garage....

More space to make a mess... Crying or Very Sad

Matt... where is Mechanic Kittah???

[Updated on: Wed, 27 April 2005 23:28]

hamgatan
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: MA70 -> JZA70 Conversion Thu, 28 April 2005 02:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maphil - No its okay i wont trouble you to grab that for me, but if you already have a photo of the back of the JZA70 analogue dash i wouldnt mind seeing that.
Maphril
Regular

January 2004

Re: MA70 -> JZA70 Conversion Thu, 28 April 2005 03:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Can do. PM your email address and I'll send it off tonight.

And as for Mechanic Kittah, when she picks up a tool lends a bloody hand, she can have a photo taken and possibly fed. Until then, she is not worthy of a photo. I'll try and get some of her doing some wack shit tonight.
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: MA70 -> JZA70 Conversion Sat, 30 April 2005 14:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Update for Saturday, Matt did some odds and ends through the week Swapping out A/C , Power steer etc that was all swapped over today after th nose cone came off. The crossmember was dropped out (on my big toe incidently Embarassed ) and the brakes from the MA70 were swapped onto the JZA70 Cross member. the crossmember was put back in and the engine was slotted in about 10 pm with out too much drama, So reconnecting stuff has started, then the wiring needs to be finalised before....

Vrooommmm.... Cool
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: MA70 -> JZA70 Conversion Wed, 11 May 2005 23:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Update on progress.

Last weekend due to work / beer / lack of sleep very little was done bar sitting behind the wheel and dreaming.

the hole for the gearbox leaver was enlarged to allow the R154 to better fit where the auto leaver was. the front 2 holes were used as factory to fit the boot over, the rears have been bolted down differently as the bolt patterns for the auto and manual are different.

I got a phone call through the week that started with Brooooooommmmmm..... signifying that the wiring has been sorted and the car starts Cool

Issues with finding the dump pipe gasket mean thing couldn't be sorted out last week but during the week a gasket was sourced and Matt has bolted up the exhaust and tail shaft. I need to look closer at the tail shaft as Matt doesn't think that there is enough spline going into the gearbox from the MA70 tailshaft.

Basically this weekend I'll be down there recheck all the bolts service the engine. and take it for a bit of a drive before rechecking every thing again and then take out the completed conversion for the "Clear the cobwebs" drive Evil or Very Mad

I'm rather interested now at what the power output may be as the computer has apparently been chipped and there is now a 3 inch mandrel bent exhaust system behind the turbo's

Mwahhahahahahahahahaaaaaaa.......
Maphril
Regular

January 2004

Re: MA70 -> JZA70 Conversion Thu, 12 May 2005 03:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gday guys,

Does anybody have a 1JZ Radiator reservoir bottle? The MA70 one is different and I think I might have a little trouble closing the bonnet with this one in?

Thanks,
Matt
Maphril
Regular

January 2004

Re: MA70 -> JZA70 Conversion Mon, 16 May 2005 13:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well well well, my gosh a 1JZ-GTE Manual is a miles difference from a 7M-GTE Auto Shocked Yes that's right ladies and gentlemen, it's on the road.

I dropped it into the mechanics this morning to have him run over a few things for me such as a couple of vacuum hoses which he tells me now we connected to the wastegate then proceeds to tell me that I probably shouldn't have been driving it hard as one of the turbo's would have been running at full boost Embarassed He also tightened the knuckles on the power steering rack as I was leaking a little bit of fluid over time and under pressure. Thankfully we got the tail shaft in the front cut as that had to be swapped over but only the gearbox section was required as swapping the whole 2 pieces was going to lead me down the same path of having a tailshaft that was too short. (I never checked this, I'm going off what the mechanic told me)

Apart from that, he gave the conversion a clean bill of health and sent me on my way to which I obliged with a little (accidental) burnout on the way out. I'm still getting used to what also appears to be a rather good clutch, nothing sloppy like I'm used to.

Tomorrow's duties will include taking it to an exhaust place to have them manoeuvre around a bit and also lift it as it's sitting about 2 inches from the ground at it's lowest point.

The electrical side of things is yet to be completed so all those who are waiting on some service information regards how to wire this engine into your car, it'll come soon....ish.

Cheers,

Matt
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: MA70 -> JZA70 Conversion Mon, 16 May 2005 23:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Did you get him to bleed the brake/clutch system out as well?

And does the clutch now operate in a better release location?
Maphril
Regular

January 2004

Re: MA70 -> JZA70 Conversion Wed, 18 May 2005 13:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
He bleed the clutch only but couldn't find anything wrong with it but at the same time he didn't get a chance to test drive it. I tried adjusting the clutch again tonight and where I had it was it farthest point because the adjusting block unscrewed all the way so there is only a margin of thread holding it on which I don't like. I'll take it back tomorrow and have him check it more thoroughly.

Also as I was checking all this out I came across that I was almost out of brake fluid. It seems the brake technician (not pointing any fingers...j/k) didn't tighten the brake line enough and pumped nearly a whole reservoir through the connection. Tightened threads, topped up fluid, danger averted.
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: MA70 -> JZA70 Conversion Wed, 18 May 2005 14:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that was lucky!

Great write up guys. I am sure many people will be able to benefit from it.
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: MA70 -> JZA70 Conversion Thu, 19 May 2005 00:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I seem to recall the "brake technician" also didn't take it for a test drive either.....
Maphril
Regular

January 2004

Re: MA70 -> JZA70 Conversion Thu, 19 May 2005 14:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Keep your pants on, you'll drive it this weekend when you let me drive your Sprintah... Very Happy
hamgatan
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: MA70 -> JZA70 Conversion Thu, 23 June 2005 04:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
this is a bloody top writeup.. and its starting to inspire me in the same direction now..

*gulp*
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: MA70 -> JZA70 Conversion Thu, 23 June 2005 05:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ta.... There will be a deeper write up done at some stage shortly. but in all terms of reality with our limited mechanical knowledge the conversion was a piece of piss. it was just time consuming with undoing stuff and doing it up again. We did our home work and covered all bases before we started and it was smooth sailing all the way.

Matt had it Dynoed the other week and turned 172rwkw (un boosted) so it will be interesting to see what happens when it is boost.
hamgatan
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: MA70 -> JZA70 Conversion Thu, 23 June 2005 05:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah mines limited too..

what sort of time frame did it take to do the bolt in?

see im at the stage right now where, im playing with the 7M and its fun and all what not, but my limitation stems from the crappy A340E. i cbf doing a W58 conversion because i plan on going over 500hp eventually and they arent too good for that i hear, so id rather do the R154 and do it right.. but the problem is by the time i bolt the R154 up and do everything i would have spent 2K at least. And then i still need to start thinking about out with the 7M, decking and shaving it.. blah blah... another 2K later.. sheesh the halfcut for the JZA70 should only be around 3.5K right?? thus you can see the reasoning.. add about another K for expenses to do a straight swap in.. booyah!

trying to do the homework now.. but it seems i may just drop the 7M and go the 1JZ path simply for the same reasons you have.. its going to be cheaper for me to do so. so im just going to get me a loan and do it i think..

shame really.. ive spent a little on the 7M already with new MSI leads, NGK sparkies and what not..
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: MA70 -> JZA70 Conversion Thu, 23 June 2005 05:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sounds very similar to the train of thourght we had whilst deciding what to do with the 7M.

The front cuts vary a great deal in price but I advise that you check out what comes with it. Andrew from CVAP threw in the 3inch exhaust and the Tailshaft which saved us some money
we paid $4800 Incl delivery from melb to syd and we spent in the realm of 3-400 in misc parts need to swap.

in time it took us about 5 solid days from drive in to drive out. however If we were to do it again we could probably do it in 4.

Do It..... You know you want to....
hamgatan
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: MA70 -> JZA70 Conversion Thu, 23 June 2005 06:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
at least you didnt need to pissfart around with having to find one much right? japwreck here told me the last one they had went off for $2500 (but it was an a340e), and i should be expecting to pay 3500 for a R154 thereabouts.. problem is i dont want to ship too far (coz itll cost the bomb!)

my other big problem right now is space to do it since ive got an inner city apartment with bugger all space..

ill probably take a week off work to do it as well, so it might be an over christmas job.

dont mind if i hijack your thread and post any pics i do of it here as well yeah?

and yes.. i do want to do it.. Confused

[Updated on: Thu, 23 June 2005 06:30]

Bobski
Regular

I Supported Toymods

May 2004
Re: MA70 -> JZA70 Conversion Thu, 23 June 2005 15:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nice work guys.....i did an engine swap (7m) and changed to manual my bros supra....not much room in those engine bays but its an amazing feeling seeing that big arse motor hangin on a crane Cool

the new half cut came with a ribik computer, cams, r154, td06 , 2 more injectors and lots of other goodies and the motor just got 290 bhp on min boost, stock ecu and with a giant exhaust leak

not bad for a meazly 7M

keep up the good writeup

Adam
hamgatan
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: MA70 -> JZA70 Conversion Mon, 27 June 2005 01:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Actually what id like to know is basically the checklist for everything required.. tell me if im missing anything?

- Half Cut (1JZ+R154+JZA Power Steering Rack [Neccessary?])
- 1JZ Fuel Pump?
- JZA70 Tailshaft?
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: MA70 -> JZA70 Conversion Mon, 27 June 2005 01:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if your set on doing it just shim the accumulators in the auto to firm the shifts and stay with it
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: MA70 -> JZA70 Conversion Mon, 27 June 2005 01:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Allan wrote on Mon, 27 June 2005 11:19

if your set on doing it just shim the accumulators in the auto to firm the shifts and stay with it

yeah but its still an auto and unless you are a hardcore drag racer it will never be as much fun...

hamagatan go the R154 and dont look back Wink
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: MA70 -> JZA70 Conversion Mon, 27 June 2005 02:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
an *A70 is never going to be enough of a race car to warrent a manual unless its a striped out shell, spend the money saved staying auto on the engine/suspension i say
hamgatan
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: MA70 -> JZA70 Conversion Mon, 27 June 2005 02:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ill definitely be going R154.. im sick of the unpredictable A340 telling me to go root myself when it hits 3000 revs.. thats the whole problem thats sparked me off in this direction in the first place..
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: MA70 -> JZA70 Conversion Mon, 27 June 2005 02:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Allan wrote on Mon, 27 June 2005 11:32

an *A70 is never going to be enough of a race car to warrent a manual unless its a striped out shell, spend the money saved staying auto on the engine/suspension i say

its not about the car being a race car its about having that control when you need it, for instance when you want to go for a "spirited" hills run, you are hampered by the gearbox, go the R154 and get the decent suspension as well i say Smile
lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: MA70 -> JZA70 Conversion Mon, 27 June 2005 02:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Allan wrote on Mon, 27 June 2005 11:32

R154 box and a LSD turn the smooth 1jz as seen in the Soarer into an animal. Sure it's a truck gearbox but it makes a hell of a difference - also using the revs helps overcome the torque loss when going to short stroke 2.5 from long stroke 3lt.

Despite the heavy shell the ma70 is a fun thing to chuck around corners
Maphril
Regular

January 2004

Re: MA70 -> JZA70 Conversion Mon, 27 June 2005 05:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hamgatan wrote on Mon, 27 June 2005 11:03

Actually what id like to know is basically the checklist for everything required.. tell me if im missing anything?

- Half Cut (1JZ+R154+JZA Power Steering Rack [Neccessary?])
- 1JZ Fuel Pump?
- JZA70 Tailshaft?

Hey there, you'll definately need the half cut as you need to change alot of shit over on it.
Intercooler & radiator and accomponing brackets,
Crossmember with power steer rack attached (you should be able to use the MA rack but I used the JZA one simply because it was already on the crossmember),
AC lines (also best to swap the condensor as well but someone had nicked mine off the Front cut so I had to make do, just a little hard to get the lines in).
You won't need the fuel pump, I haven't had any problems with mine as of yet its run beautifully since the conversion.
Yes the tailshaft is required as the Auto Shaft is shorter by about 20-30mm. I ran around with this shaft for a day or so until I got to the mechanics to get him to swap it over as the centre bearing on the JZA shaft was shot to pieces and since I really hadn't spent any money on the conversion then I didn't mind sending it off and paying for it.

A bit of work has to be put into the wiring for this, I still haven't bothered to finish mine off, basically due to the fact that, the car runs... well that's about it really. The ABS still need to be traced and as well as the TEMS System (although I don't use it, I'm still going to get the car back to as original as possible) and AC is running either. If you can read circuit diagrams and have the patience to go through them then you shouldn't have a worry. It all comes down to cutting off the plugs form the MA wiring loom and attaching them to the 1JZ engine loom. Oh and you'll also have to run a new heavy Gauge wire (capable of 80A) for the alternator as its on the other side of the car now. I use black amp cable for Car stereo's with no drama's, they're morre than capable of coping with the amperage.

Any more questions, leave a post or PM me. I also have alot of photos of where shit goes in the engine bays if you happen to have taken something out and not sure where it goes to.
dingaling
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: MA70 -> JZA70 Conversion Mon, 27 June 2005 06:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BUGGER! i thought the Auto tailshaft was the same as the R154, and the W58 was different.

Correction, the Auto tailshaft has the same sort of spline as r154 tailshaft, only shorter in length?

I also thought you could transfer the whole wiring harness, fuse box etc from the halfcut and install it in the MA70 body. Did not think there was any dicing and splicing needed with this conversion.

My half cut is on the boat right now coming from japan, (1jz-gte JZA7 manual $3000) THe cheapness of this halfcut has be paranoid it's a GA70 halfcut Shocked
lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: MA70 -> JZA70 Conversion Mon, 27 June 2005 23:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maphril wrote on Mon, 27 June 2005 14:50

It all comes down to cutting off the plugs form the MA wiring loom and attaching them to the 1JZ engine loom.

Of course if you're really good you wouldn't need to cut any plugs off the ma70 loom Wink

From hazy disdant memory TEMS computer takes three outputs from the jza70 ECU - called L1, L2 and L3. These are speed sensor and a couple of other things I can't remember right now. It's not too hard to wire in once you know which ones to use. Is your progressive power steering working?

AC wiring is pretty straightforward. Luckily these days there is that jzgte site in the US with all the jza70 wiring diagrams.
hamgatan
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: MA70 -> JZA70 Conversion Tue, 28 June 2005 00:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dingaling - far out thats cheap! who did u go thru? what are they slapping u for shipping on top of that.. any additional costs like GST etc//?!

maphril - top writeup on what i need!
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: MA70 -> JZA70 Conversion Tue, 28 June 2005 04:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dingaling wrote on Mon, 27 June 2005 14:24

BUGGER! i thought the Auto tailshaft was the same as the R154, and the W58 was different.

Correction, the Auto tailshaft has the same sort of spline as r154 tailshaft, only shorter in length?

From what I am told, the A340E spline has less teeth than the R154 spline.

If someone can correct me, that would be great.

But a mate tried to fit his A340E yoke in his R154 box, didn't fit. Then counted the number of splines, it was different.
dingaling
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: MA70 -> JZA70 Conversion Tue, 28 June 2005 04:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hamgatan,

They assure me it's a 1jz-gte 5 speed manual supra halfcut.

They said they could do it for $3000. Nothing extra. I have rang them up double and triple checked it's a JZA-70 halfcut, and that the total price is $3000 like they first quoted, And they assure me it is.

No extra gst, no extra shipping costs. (i can pick it up from the spirit boat here in tas, so that saves on extra delivery costs, as the container is going to hobart anyway)

I whent thru JDS auto imports, they have an office here in tas and in VIC.

I even asked if they could include good panels, bonnet front bar and he said yes.

Usually if things sound too good to be true they usually are not. :(-

I am putting $500 deposit down today, should recieve half cut in 3 weeks.

Don't know how i'm going to cope if the halfcut turns out to be a GA70.
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: MA70 -> JZA70 Conversion Tue, 28 June 2005 04:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dingaling..if it does turn out to be a GA70 cut then your gonna learn the importance of an engine crane welded to the back of a ute and cornering at high speed with a half cut attached to that crane...

they break lots of glass
dingaling
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: MA70 -> JZA70 Conversion Tue, 28 June 2005 04:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrUZsida, Do you know if the 2 piece tailshaft can be interchanged? ie. the section that connects to the diff kept, and the other section that connects to the gearbox changed?

If that is possible, would the 2 piece tailshaft have to be reblanced?
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: MA70 -> JZA70 Conversion Tue, 28 June 2005 04:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The front half of the manual JZA70 driveshaft should bolt to the rearhalf of the auto MA70 driveshaft.

But you need to balance driveshafts as a whole.

You can try it, and just get the uni's in the same plane.
If its out of balance, rotate the front half 180deg.
If its still out get it balanced.
dingaling
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: MA70 -> JZA70 Conversion Tue, 28 June 2005 04:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanx CrUZsida, your a wealth of good information.
And you too lumpy.

MR 1JZ: will post video's of it. Might have to use the MA70 for it tho, as i don't have a ute.

If worse comes to worse i'll loose my deposit.

Hmmm if it turns out to be the real deal i will have done dam good!

$2500 for the MA70 supra, $3000 for the halfcut, -$800 when i sell the 7mgte to negative boost if he still wants it.

total cost for a 1jz-gte manual supra $4700 (rouph estimate anyway)
hamgatan
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: MA70 -> JZA70 Conversion Tue, 28 June 2005 04:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ding - get it in writing from them that its a 1JZGTE 5 Speed or you dont really have a leg to stand on if its a GA70 cut.. If you have it in writing then you have every right to get your money back if you do get shafted. but thats awesomely cheap and im interested!

cruz - so literally, i wouldnt need to even bother changing to a jza70 diff later? just bolt and balance?
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: MA70 -> JZA70 Conversion Tue, 28 June 2005 05:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hamgatan wrote on Tue, 28 June 2005 12:56

cruz - so literally, i wouldnt need to even bother changing to a jza70 diff later? just bolt and balance?

Considering JZA70 diff's are usually Torsen (as I'm led to believe), then its probably worth upgrading to one up get rid of the clutch LSD of the MA70.

But no, if its anything like MA61 vs GA61, and even RA65, the rear half of the tailshaft is identical.
lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: MA70 -> JZA70 Conversion Tue, 28 June 2005 05:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hamgatan wrote on Tue, 28 June 2005 14:26

Hmmm... if you've got an auto ma70 at the moment you've also probably got a single spinner. You don't strictly need a jza70 diff but an LSD would be good. The auto LSD was a 3.9:1 ratio, but if you can find a cheap one get a NA Manual LSD (diff code G285). It's a 4.3:1 ratio and gives a bit more acceleration plus uses the revs of the 1jz nicely (IMHO). Not great for highway cruising, but not shit either.
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: MA70 -> JZA70 Conversion Tue, 28 June 2005 05:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dingaling...dont bother with a torsen as most of them are priced around the $450-$500 mark anyway...you can pick up a second hand 1 or 1.5 way mechanical LSD for around the $600 mark, which I would prefer anyday of the week
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: MA70 -> JZA70 Conversion Tue, 28 June 2005 05:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
But you are a drifter.
Drifters and Draggers prefer Clutch.

Torsen is a much better allrounder.
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: MA70 -> JZA70 Conversion Tue, 28 June 2005 05:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fair comment...

the truetrac centres...they are torsen or clutch?

dont get me wrong a torsen is a good diff...but i would find it annoying that when you get one wheel in the air the diff opens up...
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: MA70 -> JZA70 Conversion Tue, 28 June 2005 05:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, because I have one wheel in the air all the time Razz
Nah, thats why its not good for drifters.

Anyway, TruTrac = Torsen.
dingaling
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: MA70 -> JZA70 Conversion Tue, 28 June 2005 05:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hamgatan: too late, inbetween my message and your message i made the deposit. Exciting and nerv racking at the same time. Will keep you posted on the halfcut.

MR 1JZ: thanx for the advice, but i already got a 4.3:1 LSD :)-
also got a spare 3.9:1 open diff that came from the auto like lumpy said. (open 3.9:1 i'll let go for $150, all good inside).

I was worried the short ratio was too short, and was going to swap the 3.9 ring gear from the open diff. But after reading lumpy's post i might just stick with the 4.3
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: MA70 -> JZA70 Conversion Tue, 28 June 2005 05:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4.3 seems ridiculously wrong to me for a turbo car.

I'd be sticking with 3.9 personally, and only running 4.3 on a car for autocross or a car with no torque.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: MA70 -> JZA70 Conversion Tue, 28 June 2005 06:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've had a TrueTrac (torsen) diff in my MA61 for about 18 months, and I've never once been in a situation where a wheel lifted and the LSD stopped working. I guess if you have ridiculously hard suspension and a live axle this could happen, but for 99% of street cars it's not an issue.

I agree 4.3:1 is far from ideal for a turbo car. I originally had 4.1:1 and it was all wrong; the car is faster all round (including launch) with the 3.5:1 I have now.
lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: MA70 -> JZA70 Conversion Tue, 28 June 2005 06:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrUZsida wrote on Tue, 28 June 2005 15:19

4.3 seems ridiculously wrong to me for a turbo car.

I'd be sticking with 3.9 personally, and only running 4.3 on a car for autocross or a car with no torque.

Yeah it seems wrong, but with the R154 and 1jz felt pretty right! You can keep it in the butter zone of the 1jz nicely through hills, 3rd gear has a good midrange for corners and acceleration etc. The 1jz is very revvy, so you can wind it out and change up straight back into the middle of the torque curve. Bear in mind this is with stock turbos and a poxy exhaust so if you go for a bigger turbo you'll want a lower diff ratio. 1st gear launches are a little trickier though. I liked it a lot, others might not.

Dingaling just run with it for a while, if you don't like it change the ring gear - simple.
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: MA70 -> JZA70 Conversion Tue, 28 June 2005 06:26 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
lumpy I see what you are saying dude...when driving the soarer in the hills its great to be able to take most corners in third gear with plenty of pulling power Very Happy

I think my diff might be a 4.3

launches are very very difficult without heaps of wheelspin...especially with my clutch Confused
Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:1JZ idle speed problem
Next Topic:Can blowing your diff damage your gearbox???
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 22:28:29 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0084969997406006 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.