Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Nosforatu
Newcomer

March 2005
icon12.gif  hiace go fast Sun, 20 March 2005 11:02 Go to next message

Hi new guy here. Have a 85 hiace camper and want to swap the knacker-ed 3y engine for something with more torque and bhp i saw joels 3s conversion and looks great but maybe a bit to involved, any ideas anyone. Ps toyotas in the uk don't seem to be catered for very well. I'm currently making my own lowering blocks and shackles at the moment. Nos
  Send a private message to this user    
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: hiace go fast Sun, 20 March 2005 11:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
geeze every second hiace in my area is lowered on 17inch mags and has an exhaust. Yes will be hard to work on the van not to well catered for in performance mods anywhere but there are a few on here so hope you can get some useful info.
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: hiace go fast Sun, 20 March 2005 13:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1UZ
mick
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: hiace go fast Sun, 20 March 2005 14:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
3S would be pretty cool Very Happy but I think it may cost you abit
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: hiace go fast Sun, 20 March 2005 14:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If the UZ is a bit tricky, the other option is to turbo a commercial torquebox engine, e.g. Y or 22R
EldarO
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: hiace go fast Sun, 20 March 2005 14:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have the 3Y-C, done about 166k's and shes still beating hard, if i were to swap and engine in, id get something efi, and about 2.5-3.0 litre...

probably 7Mgte

this is in a liteace though, hiaces can fit bigger donks!

Cheers,

Eldar.O.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: hiace go fast Mon, 21 March 2005 03:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you're swapping an engine into a van your biggest limitation is height, since the engine is typically mounted under the seats. A DOHC engine like a 3S or 7M is pretty tall so you might have problems squeezing it in.
badboybubby
Regular

On Probation

March 2004
Re: hiace go fast Mon, 21 March 2005 05:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Put a 350 Chev in it then fit about 30 pakies in it that'll solve your lowering probs Very Happy
Henn
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: hiace go fast Mon, 21 March 2005 12:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have had thought about this.

Apparently a 4Y-E (2.2l injected) was produced in top model Taragos. This could well bolt in and being already injected would lend itself to turboing.

You also have a massive amount of room beside the gearbox, so fitting the turbo shouldn't be hard. However cooling problems may be an issue given the limited front space for radiators and coolers.

Or you could just say bye bye to your cargo space and midmount a massive twin turbo V8.

Hen
Nosforatu
Newcomer

March 2005
icon7.gif  Re: hiace go fast Sun, 27 March 2005 10:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The 4y sounds like a good idea and as far as i know all engines in a family are interchangeable. I guess i will need the wiring loom to run the efi. As for turbo option to lower the compression would a stainless steel plate with a head gasket each side be any good? The other option if a 4y is unavailable could the 3y be bored out to take 4y pistons or is the 4y's capacity gained by having alonger stroke?
Henn
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: hiace go fast Sun, 27 March 2005 13:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AFAIK its stroked to give the extra 200cc.

Stainless plate with a headgasket either side seems like it could work to lower compression, but sounds very dodgy. I'm guessing a 4Y wont have terribly high compression to start with, so good fuel and a good tune should be mean it is safe to run reasonable boost. Then again there are always custom forged pistons.... at a price.

Hen
Nosforatu
Newcomer

March 2005
icon7.gif  Re: hiace go fast Wed, 06 April 2005 19:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i'm waiting for an e-mail at the mo about an engine & auto box loom etc from a 3.0l turbo supra. Anyone got any idea how much longer and higher this motor is than the 3y. Obviously longer as its a 6
MIKGTR
Occasional Poster

October 2004
Re: hiace go fast Wed, 06 April 2005 21:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hiya,

I've been thru the same thing, trying to find more power with the 85 Hiace. All my mates own Hiaces as we use them to carry our mx bikes around. I've seen all types of conversions tried, the most succesaful have been the Aussie 3.8L Commodore V6. 350 Chev conversions aren't to bad but it gets a bit busy under the hood. You can buy conversion kits (engine mounts, gbox mounts etc)here in oz for those engines.
A few guys have gone the turbo option but unless its for a show van or your dad owns a oil company I wouldn't do it. I've known of two turbo vans, one with a SR20DET Nissan engine and the other with a 2.5L Supra turbo engine and they have one thing in common... they get about 200 - 220 km from a tank of juice, the wind resistance of a van and a petrol turbo isn't a great combination.
I went with high comp, bigger cam and ported the head (standard 3Y & 4Y heads have really bad port design) and It went a lot better, but had to run it on Premium Unleaded and still got 650km to a tank.
If I did it again I would go with a 4Y EFI engine and just up the comp and give the head a good port job.

Cheers

Mick
LowAce
Newcomer

March 2005
Re: hiace go fast Thu, 07 April 2005 07:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Mick,

Where are these conversion kits available from that you talk about. Surprised Are they specific to a Hiace. Confused I want to convert mine, if a conversion kit is available it would make my job alot easier and take the guess work out of it and avoid having to re-invent the wheel.

Pete
MIKGTR
Occasional Poster

October 2004
Re: hiace go fast Thu, 07 April 2005 11:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Lowace,

They are made by "Castlemaine Rod Shop" in Victoria.
http://www.rodshop.com.au/
Give them a call and they can tell you what they've got as I think they're webpage is a bit out of date!
Nosforatu
Newcomer

March 2005
Re: hiace go fast Fri, 08 April 2005 20:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Very Happy I'm glad that i'm not the only person trying to get more go from an old hiace. Everyone i talk to here in the uk thinks i'm mad including local toyota dealer.What cam did you use and where from?. What did you do to the ports any diagrams? I use my ace for lugging family, mates, mountainbkes sk8 boards & up to 6 mate around every one loves the van the kids call it Nanna as it is bannana yellow. Spray job to follow engine treatment.
What do you think of over boring the 3y? any ideas on how big you can go?
h3ff44
Forums Junkie

February 2005
Re: hiace go fast Sat, 09 April 2005 02:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
a 1ggte motor might b aight in the hiace but dunno if there easy to get a hold of....

imagin that a 1g hiace smokin em off the light vroom then *psshht* classic i would hate to b a civic driver n try n run that...
Nosforatu
Newcomer

March 2005
Re: hiace go fast Fri, 24 June 2005 07:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just gotten hold of a 2.2 turbo diesel engine,looking for an intercooler at the mo, also need 5 speed box, clutch, flywheel & a starter motor as the motor came out of an auto. Any one know how to up the boost on one off these.would post pic but can't work out how, being a bit thick today Razz
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: hiace go fast Fri, 24 June 2005 07:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you're expecting your van to "go fast" with a 2.2 TD, think again!
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: hiace go fast Fri, 24 June 2005 07:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Commode V6. Will rip sick skids too.
Nosforatu
Newcomer

March 2005
Re: hiace go fast Fri, 24 June 2005 07:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
May not be the fastest but better than the 3y it's fitted with and as peterol is vertualy £5.00 a gallon (don't know what that isin dollars?) the supra engine went out the window. The other problem i have is being in the U.K. been aroun all the local breakers & been on parts searches & theres not alot of toyota stuff about, could have had a lexus v8 for £350 but fuel and space!!!!
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: hiace go fast Fri, 24 June 2005 07:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oops missed the UK location.

Lexus V8 is the "easy" option. Maybe a Hilux V6.

[Updated on: Fri, 24 June 2005 07:33]

Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: hiace go fast Fri, 24 June 2005 08:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
turbo L diesel will be more p00 than the 3y

2.8 litre 3L would have been better, dont know if you get these in UK though.

No point upping the boost you will get little gain. Id say this engine would run about 12 - 15 psi stock, better off fitting some sort of intercooler, water to air maybe?

But if you wanna raise the boost this is easy, with stock zorst and standard fuel pump etc. you can completely disconnect the wastegate line and it will struggle to reach 20 psi.
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: hiace go fast Sat, 25 June 2005 08:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gianttomato wrote on Fri, 24 June 2005 17:17

Commode V6. Will rip sick skids too.

Sic, bro, sic.
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: hiace go fast Sat, 25 June 2005 08:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Do you guys get the 1KZFTE turbo diesel over there?
Nosforatu
Newcomer

March 2005
icon5.gif  Re: hiace go fast Mon, 27 June 2005 18:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
don't know if we get the 1kzfte deisel. What is it fitted in? it took me two months ofd searching to find this engine, more available but at silly money, like more than my vans worth. Definately want an intercooler or charge cooler, a lot of the problems i keep running into are that a lot of older toyota vans have & are being bought to be exported to third world countries. There ar alot of hilux 4*4 about but these seem to be either completely trashed or they sell for more £ than i have to play with (the joy of wives & kids). I tried to upload some pics of my van but can't get it to work,Dohoo!
pugho
Occasional Poster

June 2005

Re: hiace go fast Mon, 27 June 2005 20:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Don't know about the hiace but this guy (Swedish toyota club member) is swapping the 3Y in his model-f (YR21) for a 3S-FE from a camry (SV21). It bolts almost without any modification to the model-f's bellhousing, so any 3S should do the same.
Also, in the model-f the engine doesn't tilt at all, which it does in the camry.
Hi-Ace
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

January 2005

Re: hiace go fast Tue, 28 June 2005 03:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just found this thread. If you want your HI-ACE to go hard then read what has been done to mine.
For the UK you might have to look for the Buick 3800 V6 Gen 11.
Being a Van you have a bit more room inside then mine has.
TopSecret72
Regular

January 2005
Re: hiace go fast Wed, 29 June 2005 01:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I know of a couple of 308 holden powered hiaces getting around and i know they fit faily easy.
Also some gen III chev powered aces also get around perth.
My mate just finnish a 1jz trans plant and that is fuck crazy
Rotors also drop in easy as and im thinking of doin a 20b trans plant myself.
hope these help
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: hiace go fast Wed, 29 June 2005 06:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
in brisbane here theres a hiace that is boosted has a rebuild stock engine done up .. hauls ass huge fmic hangin through the grill

http://www.carsales.com.au/pls/carsales/!cs_conten t.private_vehicle?vehicle_id=2398275&current_r ec=1&used_rec=5&total_rec=2&sort_type= &total_rec=2&sort_type=&make_id=8& model_id=87&keyword=TURBO&state_id=4&s earch_distance=25

theres the link it is one hawt van lol
Nosforatu
Newcomer

March 2005
icon14.gif  Re: hiace go fast Tue, 19 July 2005 21:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Very Happy Thanks for the tip, small world the internet. Looks like a straight forward job, Though he is using an auto box and i prefer manual. Can you translate from swedeish as i would like to read the text. Many thanks Nos
pugho
Occasional Poster

June 2005

Re: hiace go fast Wed, 20 July 2005 00:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You are welcome to register on our forum and ask him in that thread about what you want to know in english.. I think he would appreciate telling you about it himself... Smile
Ribfeast
Forums Junkie

March 2005

Re: hiace go fast Wed, 20 July 2005 02:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What about 13B Turbo?
bexi
Regular

May 2002

Re: hiace go fast Wed, 20 July 2005 06:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my 85 hiace has a 6mge in it... having torubles at the moment coz it runs weird running gear but that's beside the point... if u can get hold of a 7mge... they're perfect in the van with the std gearbox from the 7mge... it's perfect with the std van diff

would highly recommend it
bexi
Freddy510
Newcomer

July 2005
Re: hiace go fast Sat, 23 July 2005 13:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
G'day out there! I am new to this forum. I have a Hiace Commuter Van that just lunched the 3L Turbo and I intend on doing a Holden 3.8 V6 & Autotrans conversion. I have done swaps on quite a few cars over the years (V8 1600 Datsun, V8 Jag, Hilux V8, etc), but this is my first van. Pat Gardeners "V6 Coversions" make a kit including harness to do the swap and he is really helpfull so it is not rocket science. My question to you guys out there who have worked on Hiace vans is which is the easiest way to replace the engine? Replace it from the underside (I've got a 4 post hoist) or lift off the body? I need to hear from people who have actually done the job.
Thanks guys,
Freddy.
Nosforatu
Newcomer

March 2005
Re: hiace go fast Sun, 07 August 2005 07:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry to hear of your probs, But great that you have a decent motor in your van. Any chance you could post/e-mail me pics of the engine etc. What mounts did you use? how did you link the gear change to the colum shift? did the prop shaft need shortening etc? so many questions so little space.
Cheers Nos
pedro2
Newcomer

August 2005
Re: hiace go fast Thu, 25 August 2005 11:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Mick, its Pedro here I'm also restoreing a 1985 toyota commuter bus and have been looking around at all the idears and I agree with you the v6 option seems tobe the best as you can easaly get the kits for them etc as it is a bit tricky if you have you heart set on it and abit of work it will come together well,

I don't know how he will go in his country with conversions but here in ours there is a lot to tend with like engineer's reports and the high cost,

I'm goimg with the v6 for if you are going to do a conversion on these vans you need as much as you can to pull them up hills and pass in safty on the road, he will find that even so he powers up the ratio's in diff will still slow performence and in gearing too, mine is for distance driving in out country and i like that model for the room.

yours

Pedro
pedro2
Newcomer

August 2005
Re: hiace go fast Thu, 25 August 2005 12:17 Go to previous message
in your post of hiace van motor conversion Uk, you said everyone thinks your mad, don't let this worry you mate for I'm doing one here in oz and it's the same all over the world, go with the v6 option look into your countries regulations firt get good advice and good luck UK.

Pedro
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Stripped Steering Rack Bolts...
Next Topic:PARALLEL Twincharging, whatever....
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 05:51:19 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0071079730987549 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.