Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
1200det
Forums Junkie

September 2003
4AGZE Troubles when starting cold Fri, 24 June 2005 01:05 Go to next message
Just after a few ideas to be thrown around regarding the following

AW11 4AGZE ( A/F Version )

When starting the car cold you have to wind the key for a good 15 seconds or so before it will start and then its really choked/fueled up once its started and take a few seconds of spluttering to get rid of the excess fuel ?

Basically is really rich on cold startup , after the initial startup its fine to stop and start the car until its left overnight to get dead cold

Send a private message to this user    
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 4AGZE Troubles when starting cold Fri, 24 June 2005 01:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just had a quick think about this and had the following thoughts:

1. The cold start injector may not be firing? This sort of makes sense if it is only struggling to start on stone cold start-up. Check the 5th injector, make sure it's plug is connected, and make sure the sensor on the back of the head (the brown one I think?) is plugged in and working as this tells the ECU when it's cold enough to fire the 5th injector.

2. The coolant lines running to the wax pallet on the throttle body I assume are still hooked up?? If it is on your GTZ I am guessing they will be as that beast does not appear to have been tampered with.

Thats all I can think of for now.
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: 4AGZE Troubles when starting cold Fri, 24 June 2005 02:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
have you checked to see the state of your battery they tend to loose some of their cranking power in the cold
c2888
Regular

May 2002

Re: 4AGZE Troubles when starting cold Fri, 24 June 2005 08:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My car does this every morning too
crank crank, splutter splutter stall
crank crank, splutter few more rotations go on 1 cyl for 3 secs stall
crank crank, starts perfect

But i have sorta come to the conclusion that i don't have enough fuel in the tank, and now for some reasonit needs a few seconds for the fuel system to prime.

Cos the only thing that has changed is me only putting 10bucks of petrol at a time only 8.2L Sad. you get rich, you get poor, blah blah blah

once it's started it runs fine, and it still idles high once i've started it. and if i start it right after i get it going, it fires first crank.

dan
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 4AGZE Troubles when starting cold Fri, 24 June 2005 11:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1200det wrote on Fri, 24 June 2005 11:05

When starting the car cold you have to wind the key for a good 15 seconds or so before it will start and then its really choked/fueled up once its started and take a few seconds of spluttering to get rid of the excess fuel ?

Basically is really rich on cold startup , after the initial startup its fine to stop and start the car until its left overnight to get dead cold

the feral's 4agte (AFM gze electronics) does this on a cold overnight start-up, starts a little quicker than 15 secs though. has the splutter splutter like it's on 3 cylinders or something for a bit. i've kinda put it to either a leaking cold start injector or one of the other injectors being flogged out enough to leak/give too rich a mixture?. but then if one of the normal injectors was doing it i would think it would do it all the time wether cold or hot. so i am more inclined to blame the cold start injector.

it doesnt bother me, so i havnt looked into to it. once it 'clears' itself it's fine, so i'll just keep on flogging it. Evil or Very Mad

Adsport
Regular

December 2003
Re: 4AGZE Troubles when starting cold Fri, 24 June 2005 12:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ive unplugged my cold start injector to test this and it still does the same thing, as with feral, doesnt bother me really ..
1200det
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: 4AGZE Troubles when starting cold Sat, 25 June 2005 02:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This is on the g/fs AW11 SC

Its got be bugged as to what it is , Cold start injector is working fine

Anyone know short of replacing it how to test the cold start sensor ?

Celica_John
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: 4AGZE Troubles when starting cold Sat, 25 June 2005 06:38 Go to previous message
take it out(should be two 12mm bolts or something)
put it in a plastic freezer bag. crank when cold and see if it sprays petrol into the bag.

Also i think you could check the resistance with a multimeter but i can't tell you what it should be.

I had a similar problem with my car. Thought it was the cold start injector. Turns out to be a faulty ignition relay. I knew it was electrical because the tacho would only start to hover when it was about to start. if it wouldn't start the tacho would stay dead still.

[Updated on: Sat, 25 June 2005 06:41]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Fitting SC14 to AW11gze
Next Topic:Heat exchanger???
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 12 08:40:32 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0057098865509033 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.