Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Disk Brake Adjustment Sat, 25 June 2005 00:51 Go to next message
I did a search and came up with nothing.
After fanging my car it pulls to the right under brakes.
I think what did it was after doing some twisties the brakes had heaps of steam coming off them.
is there anyway i can adjust the bias left to right.
Also under heavy braking coming into a corner the rears tend to lock up giving me the same effect as a handbrake.

I'm told a proportinal (sp) valve is what a need but are they legal ? is there anyway i can adjust them without a proportional (sp) valve.

thanks in advance mookie

p.s. it's 4 wheel disk
  Send a private message to this user    
cannonball
Forums Junkie

July 2004
Re: Disk Brake Adjustment Sat, 25 June 2005 01:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Firstly, No, there is no way to proportion the brakes F-R or L-R on a stock vehicle.

Second, Did you car come with drums on rear origionally (ie is it an Aust made sprinter). If so, did you do the swap?
cannonball
Forums Junkie

July 2004
Re: Disk Brake Adjustment Sat, 25 June 2005 01:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry, Is your car actually a sprinter? Im assumiong it is, but we need more info.

For the issue of your car pulling to one side under brakes, it could be a heap of things, from worn suspension components, steering components, wheel bearings, or even a warped disk.

With the rear locking thing, it could be the pads on the rear are more aggressive, or the proportioning is biased to the rear, or the fronts arn't working so well.

If your car was ADM sprinter, when the conversion was done to disk, (using JDM 86 disks) the front would be doing all the work (front end bias), until the stock P valve is gutted, then the bias is more to the rear. Some people can live with this, otherwise, to fix this you either need another P valve (adjustable or JDM) or modifying the spring preload on the original p valve. (Jesse T18 has done this)

[Updated on: Sat, 25 June 2005 01:49]

Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Disk Brake Adjustment Sat, 25 June 2005 02:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I should have told you what kind of car it was pretty stupid of me not to !

It's an SA63 celica with corona/supra rear disks.
I'm hoping the disks aren't warped.

Thanks mookie
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Disk Brake Adjustment Sat, 25 June 2005 02:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
incorrect L<->R bias would indicate that:
-the slaves are not matched (could be old-versus-new; different parts; condition of sleeve, pistons and seals differ)
-the piston(s) in one of the calipers need checking for freedom-of-movement
-the pads are not matched or wearing at the same rate
-the pads are stuffed from being overworked (the steam you saw was the brake pad medium smoldering not steaming)
-the disks are not matched or one-or-both needs checking for minimum thickness and out-of-round

the back locking up first could be:
-rear tyres have no grip
-rear suspension not compliant enough
-front<->rear proportioning valve not suited to the modified brake setup

given that you've upgraded the rear disks, you need the proportioning valve out of the donor car to ensure proper balance of braking effort. The one you will currently have is not correct for this setup.

suggestion:
-get the proportioning valve from the wreckers before you have have a prang from the back brakes locking up on you
-lift the front of the car up and check the brake hardware

cheers,
charles
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Disk Brake Adjustment Sat, 25 June 2005 03:25 Go to previous message
Thanks mate !
the conversion was done by the person i bought my car of but i'll hunt around for the right valve.

I'm thinking it might be an idea to change ALL the brakes pads so they are of the same type and age.

I'm going to take it in and get the brakes looked at as brakes are important and i don't want to risk messing them up.

I think it might be that the brakes aren't matched up together and were just "chucked in"

thanks for the help !

Mookie
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Heat exchanger???
Next Topic:2tgeu coolant lines in T/B
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 16:24:15 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0038290023803711 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.