Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Please Help: Whats wrong with Whitchy's 4AGE???compression test results added...

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
WHITCHY
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Please Help: Whats wrong with Whitchy's 4AGE???compression test results added... Sat, 25 June 2005 11:33 Go to next message
Jumped in the car to go to McDonalds, started her up no worries, brake warning light came on, turned the car off to top the fluid up, decided to reverse it back into the light but it wouldn't start again?
Popped the hood and checked everything is as it should be, topped up the brake fluid and gave it another shot.

After a few goes it started up and sounded like absolute shit and filled my garage up with smoke.

Left it for a few mins and tried again and now it is starting fine but running a bit rough and constantly blowing white smoke out the exhaust pipe.

Rang some people and they are saying head gasket, but my oil filler cap is clean and so is the radiator cap?

The car was running fine yesterday!??

Does anyone know what the hell is wrong with my engine?
It is just a stock 4AGE 16V Bigport Bluetop from an AE82 Twincam.

Thanks heaps for any info and help.
Cheers.
-Whitchy-

[Updated on: Thu, 14 July 2005 14:08]

Send a private message to this user    
domasik
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Please Help: Whats wrong with Whitchy's 4AGE??? Sat, 25 June 2005 13:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
white smoke or black smoke?

try running the car with the radiator cap off if there are bubbles or it starts to go milky then yes BHG Sad

maccas, im about to go to maccas!

haahha
Jonny2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Please Help: Whats wrong with Whitchy's 4AGE??? Sat, 25 June 2005 13:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Your brake master cylinder is leaking, out the back. But you may not see the leak, because it is leaking into the brake booster. It has probably eaten the rubber in the booster also. Now you have brake fluid in the booster, which travels through the vacuum line to the inlet manifold. Now you have brake fluid being burnt in the motor, and smoking out the exaust. Maybe... Am I wrong?
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Please Help: Whats wrong with Whitchy's 4AGE??? Sat, 25 June 2005 14:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You've mistaken the brake fluid can for the air filter Laughing

Nah, probably something along the lines of what Jonny2TG said
ae80
Regular

August 2004
Re: Please Help: Whats wrong with Whitchy's 4AGE??? Sun, 26 June 2005 02:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Errrrr Whitchy!!

I thought this engine was 'freshly rebuilt'!!! Happy Sad

P.s - hope its nothing to major mate.
Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: Please Help: Whats wrong with Whitchy's 4AGE??? Sun, 26 June 2005 03:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
is it smoke or steam/precipitation
WHITCHY
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: Please Help: Whats wrong with Whitchy's 4AGE??? Mon, 27 June 2005 02:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok, thanks for the ideas so far, I pulled the brake booster line to the intake off yesterday and checked it for fulid, it is dry and clean so there goes that!
Just took it for a drive and it is driving as normal and the smoke has prettymuch stopped? maybe it was just a contaminant in the fuel or something?
But there is still something wrong, the back of my car is getting covered in black shit, so I am thinking that that smoke that was pissing out the back was black and not white and it was just the light in my garage that made it appear white?
I started the car and took the radiator cap off, no bubles, drove it for a while and then checked the radiator cap and the oil filler cap and they are both clean and normal, no contamination. So I dont think it is the head gasket?

Anymore ideas?
It blows a shitload -and I mean a shitload-of smoke up high, I always thought it looked white in my rear view mirror but maybe it was just my eyes and it is black? What does this mean if it is black, and also if it is white?

The fumes that were coming from the car on saturday night were really smelly, I dont know what it smelt like, but it was a pretty foul smell?

With the black shit on the back of my car, this used to happen even when I had the 4A-C, could it be my exhaust? It is only abuot 6 months old?
When I started it just before and went round to check for the smoke I could see liquid being spat out the exhaust pipe, which is exactly what the 4A-C did aswell?

Someone Help me please! I am so stumped and I really wanna fix it so I can drive without being worried its just gonna die underneath me!

Thanks again for any info anyone can give me!
Cheers.
-Whitchy-
Ko Ko
Regular

May 2003
Re: Please Help: Whats wrong with Whitchy's 4AGE??? Mon, 27 June 2005 11:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey WHITCHY
Sorry to here about car dude....

Well not sure if this coud help but I doubt it is your exhuast as only brand new exhuast like only for the first 2 days will be blowing white smoke. Have you checked your computer sounds like your running very rich... the things you mentioned occured to a friends mazda and it was spitting out oil from the exhuast. Ill ask a friend of mine to read your posts and get back to you.

Hope all is good
Jonny2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Please Help: Whats wrong with Whitchy's 4AGE??? Mon, 27 June 2005 12:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sounds like its running very rich. Has it got aftermarket computer? Probably needs some tuning again.
WHITCHY
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: Please Help: Whats wrong with Whitchy's 4AGE??? Wed, 29 June 2005 02:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah it is running hell rich! I am getting about 200-250Kms to a tank!
When a mate was following me the other week his eyes were stinging from the exhaust fumes. Crying or Very Sad
I started off with an AUS ECU and then swapped to a JDM ECU, back to AUS ECU and nothing has changed at all!
Can it be something to do with the fuel system in my car, cause the 4AC before the 4AGE was exactly the same towards the end of its life in my car, but when I first got it it was good for 400Kms to a tank?

Is there any way to adjust all the mixtures or is it all done with the ECU?

Someone must have had a similar problem to this before or know how to fix it?

Thanks for the help so far!
Cheers.
-Whitchy-
WHITCHY
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: Please Help: Whats wrong with Whitchy's 4AGE??? Wed, 29 June 2005 02:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
one other thing I just remembered....
Cause I have extractors, the spot for the O2 sensor is all the way under the passenger seat, I hooked it up by cutting the wire and joining it with a long piece of thin speaker wire I had lying around? it is only the single wire O2 sensor and I was told that having them more than 1.5Ft away from the head was a bad idea? But I dont wanna sample off only one cylinder!
Could that be affecting it somehow?
Cheers.
-Whitchy-
TopSecret72
Regular

January 2005
Re: Please Help: Whats wrong with Whitchy's 4AGE??? Wed, 29 June 2005 05:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the stuff coming out the exhaust more than likely is water (condensation) thats built up overnight in the exhaust. Does it dry up when left on the ground to dry.
The smoke could be from worn rings or even a valve stem seal thats gone hard and now leaking.
The black shit on your car is because the car is running super rich. The computer will have to be tuned or a sensor is packing it in. You have to start eliminating this to find the problem.
The exhaust sensor is to far away, it has to be where the exhaust manifold or header pipes come into one pipe.
ae86dave
Regular

May 2005
Re: Please Help: Whats wrong with Whitchy's 4AGE??? Wed, 29 June 2005 06:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
maybe your oxygen sensor?
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Please Help: Whats wrong with Whitchy's 4AGE??? Wed, 29 June 2005 06:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah its factory ecu on Whitchys 4age.

What sensors could cause it to run rich?

I've already tested the TPS and thats fine.

What else we got that could effect fuel mixtures, coolant, air, map? anything else?
WHITCHY
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: Please Help: Whats wrong with Whitchy's 4AGE???-Chugging Fuel, Oil and Coolant!???! Thu, 30 June 2005 10:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok Been doing some more thinking....
On the intake where there is a valve with 3 spots for vaccum lines one running to the fuel rail (?into the fuel pressure regulator?) and the other one runs to the MAP sensor, and the 3rd one is blocked off.
On my intake the 3rd one is blocked off with some really hard putty looking stuff so if this is leaking and sucking in air could it be causing it to run rich?

Or if one of the vaccum lines to the MAP sensor or the fuel pressure regulator is cracked could it be responsible for making it run rich?

Turbo RA28 suggested that the return line could be blocked, what effect would this have?

Thats all the ideas I can come up with for now???
If anyone else has any more ideas or suggestions please feel free to share, it is really pissing me off 200Kms to a tank and filling up oil and coolant once every few weeks!

Could it be something to do with the wiring? I DONT KNOW PEOPLE!
HELP ME OUT!!!
Cheers.
-Whitchy-
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Please Help: Whats wrong with Whitchy's 4AGE???-Chugging Fuel, Oil and Coolant!???! Thu, 30 June 2005 11:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah I suggested something with the fuel pressure regulator, fuel return line.. Maybe some stupid amount of fuel pressure behind the injectors making it run so rich?

As by the sounds of it when it was in the old AE82 it was ok. So it's likely something that has changed between ae82 and ae86 conversion.

With the wiring, all the sensor wires arn'nt really touched, map, tps, coolant, dizzy, etc all are wired directly into the ecu.

Unless its freaking out and going into a error mode or something and runnign super rich.

Can anyone confirm if bigports should have a knock sensor? As i've had a 4agze with this problem and it was because the knock sensor wasn't connected and the ecu richening the mixtures right up.

As for that shitty vac port on the inlet manifold i'd try getting a good one and bolting that in, put new vac lines to the fuel pressure reg and also map sensor to eliminate any problems there.

Get mechanic to do a fuel pressure check to make sure thats correct.

If all that checks out ok then i'm thinking we have to try see if we can get some error codes out of the ECU.

Anyone know about bigport 4age ecus, i'm assuming you can wire up a check engine light? Any instuctions on how thats done? I know the bigports dont have a diagnostic plug like the smallports do. I think its just 2 pin plug you jumper together?

Cheers
Joel
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Please Help: Whats wrong with Whitchy's 4AGE???-Chugging Fuel, Oil and Coolant!???! Thu, 30 June 2005 11:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Also noticed that Whitchys wiring loom doesn't have provision for a injector drop resistor. Well I dont think it does anyway.. Dont remember seeing one when I looked at it.

But my bigport 4age does use one.

Whats the go there? Do some use them and others not? As I know Whitchy is trying different ecus (jdm, aus) to get it working. I'm guessing there must be some differences in the versions not requiring the resistor?

4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Please Help: Whats wrong with Whitchy's 4AGE???-Chugging Fuel, Oil and Coolant!???! Thu, 30 June 2005 12:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TurboRA28 wrote on Thu, 30 June 2005 21:00

Anyone know about bigport 4age ecus, i'm assuming you can wire up a check engine light? Any instuctions on how thats done? I know the bigports dont have a diagnostic plug like the smallports do. I think its just 2 pin plug you jumper together?

Cheers
Joel

my 4age bigport in the aw11 had a diagnostic plug

there are pleanty of websites with wiring/pin out diograms for bigport motors
WHITCHY
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: Please Help: Whats wrong with Whitchy's 4AGE???-Chugging Fuel, Oil and Coolant!???! Thu, 07 July 2005 09:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bump, anyone got anymore suggestions?
Cheers.
-Whitchy-
WHITCHY
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: Please Help: Whats wrong with Whitchy's 4AGE???-Chugging Fuel, Oil and Coolant!???- Thu, 14 July 2005 14:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok, just did a compression test the other day and got:
(1)100, Sad (2)100 Sad , (3)90 Sad , (4)110 Sad
NOT HAPPY JAN!!!!

This would indicate valve stem seals and rings are farked doesn't it?

And that would explain the chewing of the oil, and the smoke up high!

but seals and rings wouldn't affect fuel and coolant usage would it?

Looks like its time to save and get a GZE like I should have just done in the first place!

any more suggestions on whats causing the ridiculous fuel usage? Its gonna be hard to save for a new motor when I have to fill up every 200kms!
Cheers.
-Whitchy-
Hi-Ace
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

January 2005

Re: Please Help: Whats wrong with Whitchy's 4AGE???-Chugging Fuel, Oil and Coolant!???- Thu, 14 July 2005 22:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WHITCHY wrote on Fri, 15 July 2005 00:06

Ok, just did a compression test the other day and got:
(1)100, Sad (2)100 Sad , (3)90 Sad , (4)110 Sad
NOT HAPPY JAN!!!!

This would indicate valve stem seals and rings are farked doesn't it?

And that would explain the chewing of the oil, and the smoke up high!

but seals and rings wouldn't affect fuel and coolant usage would it?

Looks like its time to save and get a GZE like I should have just done in the first place!

any more suggestions on whats causing the ridiculous fuel usage? Its gonna be hard to save for a new motor when I have to fill up every 200kms!
Cheers.
-Whitchy-

Anyone correct me if they feel I'm wrong.
1/ I think your up for a head.= coolant usage.Check if your blowing steam out the tail pipe.
2/ If #3 not working extra fuel to keep up the rev's.
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: Please Help: Whats wrong with Whitchy's 4AGE???compression test results added... Thu, 14 July 2005 23:28 Go to previous message
do a leakdown test and tell us the results of cylinder 3 again
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:changing 18rgeu to front oil pan configuration.
Next Topic:Alternator not charging but no charge light
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 11:07:51 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0064671039581299 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.