Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
forskies
Newcomer

June 2005
drag strip Sun, 26 June 2005 13:34 Go to next message
me and my partner for the past few weeks have begun research into developing a private dragstrip for modified enthusiasts on the northside of brisbane, allowing easier access for car lovers for the northside of brisbane and sunshine coast.

we've researched compliances, insurance details, researched what will become our competitors, and have begun to look into sponsership and land purchases.

we have meetings organised with 2 seperate companies, with our main aim to try and get some land at the developing airport area.

what i am calling for is expressions of interest, for use of the facility, help in getting it started, any kind of interest that people wanna make towards it, because the more voices we have, the easier it will become.

so tell me what you think
  Send a private message to this user    
peeack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2004
Re: drag strip Sun, 26 June 2005 16:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'd be interested, definatly. I'm moving back to Brisbane soon, so keep me posted!
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: drag strip Sun, 26 June 2005 21:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
/me puts his hand up. If you need any help i'm willing to help out in anyway possible!
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: drag strip Mon, 27 June 2005 05:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I will definitely be willing to help.

I was involved in meetings with the council trying to get something to cater for the Sunshine Coast a while back but nothing eventuated.

Things that will not help are:
the destruction of Lakeside which seems like it is almost inevitable
and the track being made at Kilcoy. This is supposably only a roundy roundy track though and Kilcoy is the same distance from the coast as Willowbank so most people would go to willowbank.

Please keep us up to date with proceedings. Email is jzpowahz@gmail.com

Thanks
Chris
1JZ.747
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: drag strip Mon, 27 June 2005 06:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
goodluck boys and girls

newcastle has been trying for about 5 years.

sydney needed jim read on board, maybe big vic and benny will jump on the band wagon with you. there just south of burpengary.

[Updated on: Mon, 27 June 2005 06:19]

thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: drag strip Mon, 27 June 2005 06:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
suggestions?
Land near the brisbane airport (i'm guessing this on the basis of your #1 post) would be incredibly expensive to lease - you've already got the BAC converting open-space into ware-house outlets and other open-to-the-public businesses. The kind of deals and money needed to play in that sandpit would be frightening. I'd strongly suggest that cabulture and/or north of there is where you would start to find suitablly priced leasable land with adequate buffer zones and access.

The cost of site development and maintenance is going to massive, hence your leasing costs are going to be even more impressive.

There's a good reason why willowbank and morgan park (and soon kilkoy) get gov't support - they're a long way from anywhere - so they'll irritate as few voters as possible.

You'll need local gov't on your side - Pine Rivers has shown it's resultance to support this kind of thing (see the Lakeside Raceway disgrace), Brisbane City council is more concerned with tunnels and media opportinities, Calounda is a pro-development council reticent to do anything that scares away development (and future rate-payers) - as is Noosa. You'll need energy and cash to burn for your lobbying.

Drag-only venue would limit you busines expansion: a small track and/or skid-pan would let you co-host with businesses like driver-training, go-karts corporate entertainment, motorsport testing, driver-safety, license-training, motorbike training/testing. And it's those businesses that will provide the track management more stable cash-flow than infrequent drag events.

The motorsport precinct model seems to be more acceptable venue for development - willowbank & warwick come to mind. Multi-mode development (warwick is horse, polo, trailbike, bike, drag, circuit, shooting, etc sporting sites on a large property) lets you cross-subsidise participants but you need coorporative kinds of participants.

Drag events rely on crowd numbers and sponsorship. You would need those kinds of events to maintain a 'drag racing' profile yet you'd face an enourmous battle to get onto the calendar. Plus you'd have to convince teams to come up to Qld more frequently.

It's a catch-22 - you need the larger events to support the venue during quiet times, but to run larger event you face increased business and liability costs.

Having tripped over a similar discussion on boost can i suggest you setout in much more detail the proposal you would like people to express interest in? Not the boost is the most articulate forum around, but some of the flamage came out of lack of detail (and reading ability).

I'd prefer to see more info and detail first.

cheers and good luck.
Bozza
Regular

September 2004
Re: drag strip Mon, 27 June 2005 06:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'd be interested. I dont think it would be a good idea putting it beside the airport. There must be some land near strathpine or somewhere like that.
Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: drag strip Mon, 27 June 2005 07:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
soudns like a good idea.

i dare say a few more events will need ot be run there, i.e. go karts ect ect

will this be a 1/4 or 1/8 mile

will it be by hire only or each saturday night
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: drag strip Mon, 27 June 2005 10:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Depending on cost and the target market I think an 1/8 mile would do. If it was marketed as the venue for legal off street racing at reasonable prices (and also advertise the price of losing your car to the confiscation laws) I think it could do well. There will always be Willowbank for top quality hardcore racers but for the average street car 1/8 mile is enough to prove who is quickest.

That is my opinion anyway.

What is to stop it from being a regular thing and a hiring track? They do that at Willowbank except only rich people or a big group can afford to hire it.
sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: drag strip Mon, 27 June 2005 11:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the reason things are expensive these days is the cost of
insurance
ambulance etc

public liability and proffesional indemnity these days is making prices sky rocket

the car crash at eastern creek didnt help

do all the research on the insurance side of things before u start

wsid was suppose to cost 25 mill but i think it cost bit more in the end to build

Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: drag strip Mon, 27 June 2005 14:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i think the problem with having an 1/8th mile track is that if u fuck up the launch, the race is over, where as on a 1/4 mile track the big mph cars can catch up
ndgcpr
Forums Junkie

April 2005
Re: drag strip Wed, 29 June 2005 00:49 Go to previous message
i would be interested and live at strathpine. as it has been said before there is lakeside out here that people are trying to destroy. Alot of cars used to meet out of the way at Dbay but i think that area has been developed now too. Can't really think of anywhere atm out here. maybe near the dump, its not like people want to hang around there??? the go kart area at cabolture near the highway has been demolished lately so maybe that land could be viable although probably not big enough. good luck with it man i hope it all works out for you, and the rest of us.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:ATTN: Mark3 Supra Owners look within
Next Topic:Fix up or sell, not sure what to do :(
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 15:50:03 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0045571327209473 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.