Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » The Outhouse » PS2 external chip, comments of info?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
no_tofu_speed
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Jab what?!!?!
PS2 external chip, comments of info? Tue, 01 March 2005 23:33 Go to next message
Just curious about an external chip for PS2, anyone know anything about it or have a say, or even a source to get one?
  Send a private message to this user    
shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: PS2 external chip, comments of info? Wed, 02 March 2005 11:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
from memory there is no such thing.

just get one from a brick and morter shop that will give you a warranty, external or internal is totally irrelevant in the grand scheme of things, PS2s blow lasers, not chips (unless they are using dodgy chips, in which case you dont want them touching your machine)
no_tofu_speed
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Jab what?!!?!
Re: PS2 external chip, comments of info? Wed, 02 March 2005 11:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I heard about one here and there but not much, thats why I thought I'd ask here, heaps of people seem to be in the know of technology on toymods. thanks
ra23mad
Forums Junkie

September 2003

Re: PS2 external chip, comments of info? Wed, 02 March 2005 23:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'd heard something about an external chip ==> but when I did some reading on it - you still needed to physically modify your ps2...

there was another one too that had a 'plug in part' and a cd that acted as a bootloader for 'burnt / imported' games...but I can't think what the name of it was...

you had to modify your ps2 as well so you could do the 'cd swap' trick with the above one -- so all still require some form of warranty voiding on your ps2 Mad
devolutio
Regular

October 2004
Re: PS2 external chip, comments of info? Wed, 02 March 2005 23:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah, internally modify, has a dongle thing, and you still need a boot disc - just get me or shinybluesteel to chip it for you.

Hey bill, come over and watch Initial D 11 and 12 tonight - actually we are band practicing. but you can play foosball and drink beer with daniel and friends.
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: PS2 external chip, comments of info? Thu, 03 March 2005 01:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=57849&rid=5429&S=26c4c13cc91a0985b83e4e2 9858152f9&pl_view=&start=0#msg_531406
ra23mad
Forums Junkie

September 2003

Re: PS2 external chip, comments of info? Thu, 03 March 2005 01:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
After more reading - I just found you can get hard drive for ps2...

yay now my ps2 can do what xbox has been doing for ages...

Think:

ps2 + Hdd +wireless networ + modchip = Media streaming system
Mp3, Divx, Wav, and the ability to rip games to the hdd.

BOOYAH...

120gb storage on my ps2 here we go.
Malicia
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: PS2 external chip, comments of info? Sun, 26 June 2005 09:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey,
get a ps2 (the fat kind not the new slim line) and buy a PS2 network adaptor (around $30) then buy a Hard Drive from any computer store 100gig should do fine (min 40gig max 200gig), Then buy HDAdvance off the next make sure it is the PAL version (around $40) and "back Up" games onto the Hard Drive and play them from there.

Cuts Loading times in half and doesn't void your warrenty like a mod chip will. Also won't ruin the laser like a mod chip will.

www.hdadvance.com

devolutio
Regular

October 2004
Re: PS2 external chip, comments of info? Sun, 26 June 2005 13:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Malicia wrote on Sun, 26 June 2005 19:35

Hey,
get a ps2 (the fat kind not the new slim line) and buy a PS2 network adaptor (around $30) then buy a Hard Drive from any computer store 100gig should do fine (min 40gig max 200gig), Then buy HDAdvance off the next make sure it is the PAL version (around $40) and "back Up" games onto the Hard Drive and play them from there.

Cuts Loading times in half and doesn't void your warrenty like a mod chip will. Also won't ruin the laser like a mod chip will.

www.hdadvance.com

I wouldn't worry about a modchip voiding your "fat kind" playstations warranty as it is most likely out of warranty now anyway. if you have a chip then you don't need to "pay" hdadvance money for software that lets you not pay for software.

Also there is no way a modchip can ruin a ps2 laser - unless maybe the installer drops solder on it while installing or something lame like that - it's just that you have a choice of what quality media you make your games on.

You can mod your slimline for hd as well (I have).
http://web.aanet.com.au/devolutio/pstwo-ide.jpg
That is really rough job, I don't even use the ide just did it cos I was bored and to see if it works.

Our store will be doing this with warranty extremely soon.
www.acegamestore.com

new store opening in preston.

Cheers

Clayton
Malicia
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: PS2 external chip, comments of info? Sun, 26 June 2005 13:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you really want PS2 modded PS2 and can buy a modded likely with a warrenty warranty do it.

But if you would rather faster PS2 times and easier storgage a PS2 is the warranty option.

As for lasers, Whether the mod chip causes the laser to die or some thing else like the quality of media you use causes it to die. Modded PS2s are well known for lasers kicking it in, hense the PS2 laser fix guide plastered on the net. If your an electrician this may be and easy fix or easy hence with PS2 new laser but for the average joe it isn't really an inviting option and a good way screw your PS2 compleatly.

Slim Line PS2 can also connect to hdd via the USB Port.

[Updated on: Sun, 26 June 2005 14:00]

devolutio
Regular

October 2004
Re: PS2 external chip, comments of info? Mon, 27 June 2005 02:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
before anyone invests in the hd software and hardware, do a search on the net for a compatability list - lost of titles don't work, or barely work.

Without plugging the store I work for too much, acegamestore.com sells brand new consoles pre-modified with complete 12 month warranty, and we also do repairs etc. I really wouldn't do too much of what you read on the net on how to fix your ps2 - especially the parts about laser alignment screws - and especially about adjusting resistance on lasers.

Please ask me any questions on this topic as I am happy to help out and deal with these things on a daily basis.

I wouldn't get too excited about the streaming of divx etc over a network on the ps2 - that media player is (in my experience) the most un-usable piece of software I've encountered. Get an xbox for that kind of thing.

Cheers
devolutio
Regular

October 2004
Re: PS2 external chip, comments of info? Mon, 27 June 2005 02:52 Go to previous message
Malicia wrote on Sun, 26 June 2005 23:58

Slim Line PS2 can also connect to hdd via the USB Port.

I wouldn't bother with the usb hd idea, you can throw any idea of a hd being fast when you try transferring data through usb ver.1 .
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Will not charge... Ipod Mini!
Next Topic:ROFLMAO - Tom Cruise/Oprah + the impersonation
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 11:06:35 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0048680305480957 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.