Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » AE86 front brake upgrade (stub axle Q)

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Rex_Kelway
Forums Junkie

May 2002
AE86 front brake upgrade (stub axle Q) Sun, 12 January 2003 06:24 Go to next message
Yes yes yes, i know what you're thinking, but no its not the normal 'what can i?' do question.

Instead...

Ive heard one or two people say that its unwise to upgrade the rotors (300 odd mm) on the stock AE86 stub axles.

If this is indeed true, why???

If it is true, then I may have to persue the XT130 strut as a jump off point. However Im finding it difficult to confirm just how much alike the AE86 and Xt130 struts are.

[Updated on: Sun, 12 January 2003 06:35]

Send a private message to this user    
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: AE86 front brake upgrade (stub axle Q) Sun, 12 January 2003 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well im prob telling you stuff you already know but... i THINK you have to cut'n shut the spring saddles as the XT130 ones dont fit in the tower. i believe length is very close with the XT130 one being slightly longer. if you do go down this track PLEASE tell me how you go cause ive already started so far i have struts, calipers and discs on the way and i need some one to compare things with Smile
Super Jamie
Regular

On Probation

December 2002

Re: AE86 front brake upgrade (stub axle Q) Sun, 12 January 2003 11:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have a pair of ae86 struts (just struts and tops, aussie 9" solid rotors) to put in my ke35, i'm hunting for a pair of steering arms

i'll probably get some in 2 weeks time (doing a wrecker run to brisbane) but if you're putting corona struts in sooner than that and want to get rid of your steering arms, i'm interetsted
Rex_Kelway
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: AE86 front brake upgrade (stub axle Q) Sun, 12 January 2003 12:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EVO,

The spring platforms aren't the problem, as i was going to go the custom coil-over route at the same time.

My actual concerns are with the various dimensions and mounting points. Also if the use of the XT130 strut results in any track width differences.

Ive heard that the ID of strut is the same but im not sure about the height and weather the AE86 steering arms fit and what not.

I suppose it would be easier to just go to a wrecker and compare them.
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: AE86 front brake upgrade (stub axle Q) Mon, 13 January 2003 05:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
make sure you let me know how things turn out Smile
Youngy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: AE86 front brake upgrade (stub axle Q) Mon, 13 January 2003 14:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There is absolutely no reason why you cannot upgrade the rotors on the AE86 strut - stub axle assembly to 300mm or bigger.

The stub axle is quite a strong assembly and will be able to handle the added pressures of such a rotor set-up. That is not to say that there are not stronger stub axles out there, but why bother when the standard one is quite able to do the task.

If you want to you could always gusset the stub axle. Then there would be no issue at all.
Rex_Kelway
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: AE86 front brake upgrade (stub axle Q) Tue, 14 January 2003 01:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Swish
Rex_Kelway
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: AE86 front brake upgrade (stub axle Q) Thu, 13 March 2003 02:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hello again my pretties,

Rex has been chatting to MrEnforcer about the 'weak' AE86 stub axles. MrEnforcer pride themselves on all brake upgrades being completely engineer approved. They also say that the AE86 stubs will pose no issues.

Ive looked into a couple of strut swaps, but there seems to be the one re-occuring issues of whacky camber and track. Ill keep you all posted with the details of my OE strut brake upgrade.
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: AE86 front brake upgrade (stub axle Q) Thu, 13 March 2003 05:12 Go to previous message
ive finished my brake upgrade using the hilux/corona gear and its holding together fine i think it will have no probs.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:What sound does a blown turbo make? :/
Next Topic:w58 short shifter
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 15 03:47:53 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0036921501159668 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.