Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » The Outhouse » What happened to giving a flash!

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
riceburna73
Forums Junkie

April 2004
icon12.gif  What happened to giving a flash! Sun, 26 June 2005 12:20 Go to next message
Just thought id start this thread as a bit of reminder of the timeless warning system that involves flashing your lights/quick on off to traffic that is heading toward a speed camera that you had just passed..Twice this weekend I passed a copper with a speed camera and continued down the street giving any car I came across for the next 500m a quick on off to warn them of the upcoming trap. The response in general was pathetic! Most people looked at me like something was wrong with my car or didn't notice and continued to drive on, above the speed limit Rolling Eyes There was one bloke who gave a little wave of thanks Wink

On another two occasions I passed a copper with a hand held gun and before this NO oncoming traffic gave even the slightest hint of a flash Confused

Id like to add that I wasn't speeding, and in general I keep on the speed limit,so I'm not having a winge about coping a fine. What I'm trying to understand is how/when has this little warning system/common courtesy disappeared..

So to the people that are unaware and there seems to be quite a few out there,If you see a speed trap set up to catch motorists either coming toward you or notice someone heading toward an area with a couple of highway patrol cars doing the rounds give them a quick on-off switch of the lights and help keep this traditional warning system alive!

I would like to get an understanding of how many people know of this tip and if you do, do you use it?

We must unite brothers and sisters Very Happy
  Send a private message to this user    
Indi
Regular

December 2004
Re: What happened to giving a flash! Sun, 26 June 2005 12:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Umm you mean besides the fact that its highly illegal and you can cop a fine for doing it? Rolling Eyes
Conquest
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: What happened to giving a flash! Sun, 26 June 2005 12:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ahh the good old courtesy flash, I remember those days. Saved me at least once Wink

But you're right, it is disappearing. As I recall some bloke got fined a few years ago for doing it, I think he won on appeal but since then I suppose people have been wary. Most people are too wrapped up in their own driving that they fail to notice what other people are doing anyway.

When I see a cop on a blind bend then I try and warn others Cool But most people just ignore it...

EDIT: Just found this article http://autospeed.drive.com.au/cms/A_2519/article.h tml

Most people seem to agree that it is not illegal, case in point.

Quote:

A good friend of mine, who is currently training to join 'the Force', has told me that it is not illegal to warn motorists of a radar trap. But what they will do if they catch you (and have done in this case) is to cite you for is operating your headlights in a manner which may dazzle oncoming drivers.

In your defence, it may be appropriate to say that you were attempting to warn oncoming drivers of a potential hazard on the road ahead (make no reference to a radar trap), and if this is the case that as the warning was made during the day so it was unlikely that your lights would be likely to cause any risk of dazzling drivers due to the ambient sunlight.

[Updated on: Sun, 26 June 2005 13:57]

Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: What happened to giving a flash! Sun, 26 June 2005 12:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm with you on this one matey! I always and I mean always warn oncoming traffic about "dangers" ahead and lately I've been getting stupid blank looks.
Something has brain washed all these people Confused
Jorrs
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: What happened to giving a flash! Sun, 26 June 2005 12:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yep always do it Very Happy i love it
riceburna73
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: What happened to giving a flash! Sun, 26 June 2005 12:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Indi wrote on Sun, 26 June 2005 22:29

Umm you mean besides the fact that its highly illegal and you can cop a fine for doing it? Rolling Eyes

Meh! No offence dude but have a little sack Rolling Eyes If I ever get pulled over for it ill be claiming faulty wiring and if needs be will definately fight it in court..If they want to get you for 3kms over and throw 3 demerit points at you every time you sneeze sideways im going to do everything I can to beat the system..
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: What happened to giving a flash! Sun, 26 June 2005 13:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i allways flash my lights at the end of the day it slows people down and thats what the police are supposed to want according to the ads....

i think they would have hard time trying to make it stick if they fined you..

it can also mean there is a hazzard ahead not just police
SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: What happened to giving a flash! Sun, 26 June 2005 13:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
riceburna73 wrote on Sun, 26 June 2005 22:58

Meh! No offence dude but have a little sack Rolling Eyes If I ever get pulled over for it ill be claiming faulty wiring and if needs be will definately fight it in court..If they want to get you for 3kms over and throw 3 demerit points at you every time you sneeze sideways im going to do everything I can to beat the system..

If you claim faulty wiring then they'll just turn around and defect your car... for faulty wiring. Think up a better excuse. Laughing
mynameisrodney
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: What happened to giving a flash! Sun, 26 June 2005 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
they can fine you but only on a technicality. the fine is for improper use of high beams, not for warning people of the cop. so if you quickly switch your low beams on then off they cant fine you.of course if you did get pulled over and fined for flashing a warning i guess you could always take it to court and make them PROVE that you weren't using low beams).

chris
riceburna73
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: What happened to giving a flash! Sun, 26 June 2005 13:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SIMDOG wrote on Sun, 26 June 2005 23:40

If you claim faulty wiring then they'll just turn around and defect your car... for faulty wiring. Think up a better excuse. Laughing

hahaha...well for starters they will be defecting work as its a company car but if i was in the celica it would be a case of MABYE it is a faulty wire Sir,and unless its sitting there idleing with the lights flashing on and off I cant see them getting me for shit...Jeebus christ what happend to people having a bit of sack and also thinking on the spot when they get pulled over??

Malicia
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: What happened to giving a flash! Sun, 26 June 2005 14:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes lets encourage ppl to speed and look out for them when they might get caught.

or we could let them deal with it.
riceburna73
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: What happened to giving a flash! Sun, 26 June 2005 14:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Malicia wrote on Mon, 27 June 2005 00:13

Yes lets encourage ppl to speed and look out for them when they might get caught.

or we could let them deal with it.

Mate im not trying to encourage anyone to speed,infact if i saw some tosser screeming past well over the speed limit i wouldnt flash and would probably have a bit of a chuckle aswell,it just gives me the shits as to how piss weak most people are when it comes to standing up for themselves to the police and being so scared by the possibility of being pulled over for flashing your lights Rolling Eyes Which is obviously part of the reason it is fading out..

Anyways im trying to gather who would do this and who wouldnt,so far it seem that its more to do with fear of being fined..

[Updated on: Sun, 26 June 2005 15:33]

peeack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2004
Re: What happened to giving a flash! Sun, 26 June 2005 15:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I allways do this aswell, when ever there's a hazzard or copper upahead. But like you most people just look at me with the look of 'fuck off you hooligan' or don't seem to notice. Don't think I've ever gotten a wave, but I won't stop doing it.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: What happened to giving a flash! Sun, 26 June 2005 15:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I was well taught by my parents about the courtesy flash Smile it's simply etiquette... most people are only going 3-15km/hr over the limit, and if I'm going to help them not lost 1/4 of their license for such a pissy offence, then glad I could be of service.

If I got pulled over, I'd be claiming I accidentally bumped it while trying to indicate, or while turning my headlights on (since I have to pop them up to flash, itmakes my defence a little harder!)

fOOZ86
Regular

May 2002
Re: What happened to giving a flash! Sun, 26 June 2005 16:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
when people give me the double flash, I'm usually half out the window giving them a cheer Razz

and when im giving the double flash, I try to make SURE I get every car that'll go past that way.

Sometimes I wonder though .. maybe they SHOULD get fined for speeding, because speeding kills and they're murderers in the making! then I wake upto myself and stop listening to television brainwashing.
verbatim210
Regular

April 2005
Re: What happened to giving a flash! Sun, 26 June 2005 17:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cant u just say, i accidently tapped on the high beam stick. i was holding the steering wheel, and on my way to brushing my hair i accidentally tapped the stick forward. worse case scenario, besides i've never heard of ne1 getting busted of high beams.
EldarO
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: What happened to giving a flash! Sun, 26 June 2005 19:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i do it, when i remember to.

i remember once there was a celica behind me, and we went past a trap in the other direction... i found it amusing that his lights popped up and down twice.

i dunno what it was, but it just looked funny Smile

speed kills, yes, but i highly doubt that the 3-5 km/h that everyone seems to get done for are REALLY that dangerous, there may be some exceptional circumstances sometimes, but logically, i dont see that much of a difference.

80, or 85, WOAH what a difference Shocked

Eldar.O.
Yian
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

August 2004
Re: What happened to giving a flash! Sun, 26 June 2005 22:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I do it.
Hi-Ace
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

January 2005

Re: What happened to giving a flash! Sun, 26 June 2005 22:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This is something that I learned when I was a kid,and still do it today.
illuminatus
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: What happened to giving a flash! Sun, 26 June 2005 23:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i was having this exact same conversaion with a few mates last night. i flash everyone! especially if they are speeding.

i agree with everything said above, i dont know what has happened to the community. a few years back everyone would flash, even the old grannies.

but i dont think its a problem of ppl NOT doing it.
i think that most ppl drive along without a thought in their heads. u can see it on their faces, especially when u fly past and they wake up, shocked. lol. Evil or Very Mad most prob drive past without a clue of what they past.

ppl who dont concentrate are the real killers. especially when they are speeding. so take care out on the roads and dont assume anything with ppl like that.

[Updated on: Sun, 26 June 2005 23:15]

Squid
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: What happened to giving a flash! Sun, 26 June 2005 23:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The last wave of acknowledgement i got was from a copper driving the other direction... he was speeding (no lights) and would have been done too! (RTA operates cameras in canberra)
Galactic Soap
Regular

December 2003
Re: What happened to giving a flash! Mon, 27 June 2005 00:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I do it, it must be done. To suggest that you are encouraging speeding by flashing your lights is a bit rich. Its common courtesy as far as I'm concerned, and again, there's been a large decline of the courtesy flash on Australian roads.

[Updated on: Mon, 27 June 2005 00:37]

RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: What happened to giving a flash! Mon, 27 June 2005 00:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it's common courtesy, and I LOVE it when people extend the the courtesy to me, and I always do it in return.

Having pop-up headlights sucks, 'cause it is so obvious when you do it, so sometimes I have to wait a few 100mtrs first
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: What happened to giving a flash! Mon, 27 June 2005 04:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
plenty of ppl still do it aroud where i live and also often do it to warn of an upcoming accident to Evil or Very Mad
BOCKA
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: What happened to giving a flash! Mon, 27 June 2005 04:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

i was actually caught for this about an hour south of byron bay, a speed camera was to my right so i started warning oncomming traffic of the camera by flashin em, one of them was a cop! he didnt find the warnign so helpful. he pulled me over and asked why i was flashing i just said "someone flashed me" after not looking to impressed with my response he looked over my car and defected me for about 3 different things then fined me for no "p" plates and gave me 24hours to get my car off the road. 45mins later i was back on the way to byron. ever since ive hated cops more
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: What happened to giving a flash! Mon, 27 June 2005 05:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well the no p-plates is your fault as is the defects but he was obviously a pr*ck
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: What happened to giving a flash! Mon, 27 June 2005 05:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message

hmmm dude think indi is not i think you'll find your dude is in fact a female
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: What happened to giving a flash! Mon, 27 June 2005 05:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My parents do it and so do i
It's a nice thing to do i think helping out other ppl.

I heard about some guy getting pulled over for flashing other drivers he said it was his borther he flashed and was just saying "g'day" so the cop told him to ring his brother and to get his brothers number plates to prove it.

But i always wave or something like that when ppl flash me aswell,even if it's after they past me cuz i'm not that quick Rolling Eyes

But as riceburner said if i see somebody who is being reckless and waaay over the limit then i let them get booked.

missa
Occasional Poster

May 2005
Re: What happened to giving a flash! Mon, 27 June 2005 06:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i always flash people if i see a camera, the cops go out of their way to make sure they find a default when they stop you for a RBT, so i go out of my way to stop them from making extra money from us.

but if i ever get pulled over for flashing my lights, easy fixed, put on my innocent face and say i scratched my leg and must have bumped it when i was putting my hand back on the wheel.

lol i love the innocent face, worked last time i got pulled over Smile
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: What happened to giving a flash! Mon, 27 June 2005 07:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mookie wrote on Mon, 27 June 2005 15:57

My parents do it and so do i
It's a nice thing to do i think helping out other ppl.

I heard about some guy getting pulled over for flashing other drivers he said it was his borther he flashed and was just saying "g'day" so the cop told him to ring his brother and to get his brothers number plates to prove it.

But i always wave or something like that when ppl flash me aswell,even if it's after they past me cuz i'm not that quick Rolling Eyes

But as riceburner said if i see somebody who is being reckless and waaay over the limit then i let them get booked.

nicely said mookie
Benjamin
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: What happened to giving a flash! Mon, 27 June 2005 09:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I used to do it but I don't care now. Nobody ever notices anymore. The crop of drivers out there are like fkn zombies behind the wheel.

Plus, I can't count how many times people have flashed their lights at me. I drop a bit below the limit just in case my speedo is inaccurate and then continue driving slowly for a few minutes only to find there are no hazards or police around (ie false warining).

I'll pop my headlights up for my friends when I see them driving or stick out my hand and wave when the window is down.
BradW
Regular

April 2004
Re: What happened to giving a flash! Mon, 27 June 2005 10:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I give the flash when I go past a radar. I also believe it is courteous.

I was going down the Northern Rd once and saw a semi trailer coming toward me flashing his lights. He had a cop right behind him with a radar. Not only could the cop not overtake but he could hardly even see past the truck. The truckie was happily driving along holding up the cop and warning all the oncoming traffic that he was there Laughing .
riceburna73
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: What happened to giving a flash! Mon, 27 June 2005 11:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BradW wrote on Mon, 27 June 2005 20:50

I give the flash when I go past a radar. I also believe it is courteous.

I was going down the Northern Rd once and saw a semi trailer coming toward me flashing his lights. He had a cop right behind him with a radar. Not only could the cop not overtake but he could hardly even see past the truck. The truckie was happily driving along holding up the cop and warning all the oncoming traffic that he was there Laughing .

Laughing Brilliant!
on_b00st
Occasional Poster

June 2005
Re: What happened to giving a flash! Mon, 27 June 2005 11:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Do u flash ppl when it is a fixed speed camera or a gun...and if it is on ur side do u still flash?
smt_007
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: What happened to giving a flash! Mon, 27 June 2005 11:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I always give the courtesy flash, but i hate when people give you the false warning...well it all helps to keep the one point i have Confused .
riceburna73
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: What happened to giving a flash! Mon, 27 June 2005 12:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
on_b00st wrote on Mon, 27 June 2005 21:09

Do u flash ppl when it is a fixed speed camera or a gun...and if it is on ur side do u still flash?

Well in Nsw all the fixed camras have 3 warning signs before them so if your getting caught here your a bit of a downer,I mainly do it when i pass a cop with a gun who is catching traffic going in the opposit direction toward the trap i just passed or when I see someone turn into a street where i saw a highway patrol car parked waiting to catch someone..

I hope that makes sense Very Happy
olihaub
Regular

July 2004
Re: What happened to giving a flash! Mon, 27 June 2005 12:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i do it and lots of people around my area still do it (out past glenorie and dural),
but i have noticed than pretty much anywere else people dont do it anymore

Benjamin
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: What happened to giving a flash! Mon, 27 June 2005 12:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
olihaub wrote on Mon, 27 June 2005 22:31

i do it and lots of people around my area still do it (out past glenorie and dural),

thats cause we still fang it a bit out there eh?

I am kinda near there.

[Updated on: Mon, 27 June 2005 12:58]

TRU32U
Regular

June 2004

Re: What happened to giving a flash! Mon, 27 June 2005 13:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i do it alll the time no matter what
i never heard of anyone gettin busted eaither...
so guys n girls if u see a silver SV21 wif TRU32U plates on and gives you flashes means caution lies ahead!
i always try to get everyone opposite traffic for next 2 mins or so of driving...
kwayzivietnamese
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: What happened to giving a flash! Tue, 28 June 2005 04:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TRU32U wrote on Mon, 27 June 2005 23:21

i do it alll the time no matter what
i never heard of anyone gettin busted eaither...
so guys n girls if u see a silver SV21 wif TRU32U plates on and gives you flashes means caution lies ahead!
i always try to get everyone opposite traffic for next 2 mins or so of driving...

I only ever see u flash ur lights as a sign of you giving up in my rear view mirror Laughing

Yeah it has died out...but us boys will try to keep it alive Evil or Very Mad
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: What happened to giving a flash! Tue, 28 June 2005 08:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah I flash my lights. As said, NOT when someone is clearly doing WELL over the limit, but just incase someone is doing 5kms over.

I think it's a bit rich the cops pulling you over for flashing your lights. Incorrect use of headlights? Ehem... Those damned flashes on the speed cameras are SO much brighter than my highbeams. I remember once when I was a bit younger and more stupid, I zoomed passed a cop car comming the other way who flashed their spotlight RIGHT into my face in the middle of the night. I couldn't see anything after that for a second and it took me a moment longer to recover. Luckely I was on a straight bit of road and had the presence of mind to just apply the breaks firmy and not freak out.

Besides, flashing your lights are someone slows them down... isn't that what speed cameras are all about? Rolling Eyes
olihaub
Regular

July 2004
Re: What happened to giving a flash! Wed, 29 June 2005 01:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Benjamin wrote on Mon, 27 June 2005 22:57

olihaub wrote on Mon, 27 June 2005 22:31

thats cause we still fang it a bit out there eh?

I am kinda near there.

to true lol Very Happy
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: What happened to giving a flash! Wed, 29 June 2005 01:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shraka wrote on Tue, 28 June 2005 18:06

Besides, flashing your lights are someone slows them down... isn't that what speed cameras are all about? Rolling Eyes

If it was about saving lives instead of revenue raising, then yeah

But having people slow down and not getting acught by cameras doesn't bring in the moola... so they frown upon it.
Matt-AE86
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

October 2003

Re: What happened to giving a flash! Wed, 29 June 2005 03:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EldarO wrote on Mon, 27 June 2005 03:34

speed kills, yes, but i highly doubt that the 3-5 km/h that everyone seems to get done for are REALLY that dangerous, there may be some exceptional circumstances sometimes, but logically, i dont see that much of a difference.

Eldar.O.

Drop 5 Save lives.. Havent you seen all the kids running on the roads at 12pm at night..
ehendrikd
Forums Junkie

April 2003

Re: What happened to giving a flash! Wed, 29 June 2005 05:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i dont flash... if your speeding tough shit... maybe try obeying the speed limit
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: What happened to giving a flash! Wed, 29 June 2005 05:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matt-AE86 wrote on Wed, 29 June 2005 13:13

EldarO wrote on Mon, 27 June 2005 03:34

Eldar.O.

Drop 5 Save lives.. Havent you seen all the kids running on the roads at 12pm at night..

yeah i have actually coming home from stocktake at christmas time i rounded the street that mine comes off and was greated by kids riding there bikes and running across the street lucky i wasn't going fast so just slowed down and they got off the road.
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: What happened to giving a flash! Wed, 29 June 2005 07:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What happened to courtesy in general? FFS, how hard is it to give a wave when someone lets you into their lane???

People are just fucking idiots. Everyday on the way home on the M4 I leave a gap of about 20m in front of me - letting people in keeps traffic flowing and will only make you 0.000000001 seconds later than you would be if you stuck to the person in front's bumper, not letting anyone in, and forcing traffic to stop while they try to find a way into the lane.
My pet hate is the fact that I leave all this room, but people refuse to merge right up until the lane physically ends! Do they not realise they CAN merge before this!?!?! I'm getting fired up just thinking about it!
If I'm pissed off, when the lane ends I close my gap to make them feel stupid for not merging earlier when it was easy and wouldn't fuck up the flow of traffic.... Not that they'd realise anyway, it just gives me morbid satisfaction.

[/rant]
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: What happened to giving a flash! Wed, 29 June 2005 07:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
actually i gave someone a wave in traffic on the weekend for letting me in their lane on the way home from a toymods cruise.
I generally find truckies are the most likely to give a freindly wave. There is a notorious set of lights in my area and generally you have to hold back and let big trucks thru, although some ppl are dicks and don't and just rush up the inside of them, i find that majority of the times i give the turckies space it will be followed by a friednly wave once they straighten up. Very Happy
riceburna73
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: What happened to giving a flash! Wed, 29 June 2005 12:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AE86slut wrote on Wed, 29 June 2005 17:27

What happened to courtesy in general? FFS, how hard is it to give a wave when someone lets you into their lane???

People are just fucking idiots. Everyday on the way home on the M4 I leave a gap of about 20m in front of me - letting people in keeps traffic flowing and will only make you 0.000000001 seconds later than you would be if you stuck to the person in front's bumper, not letting anyone in, and forcing traffic to stop while they try to find a way into the lane.
My pet hate is the fact that I leave all this room, but people refuse to merge right up until the lane physically ends! Do they not realise they CAN merge before this!?!?! I'm getting fired up just thinking about it!
If I'm pissed off, when the lane ends I close my gap to make them feel stupid for not merging earlier when it was easy and wouldn't fuck up the flow of traffic.... Not that they'd realise anyway, it just gives me morbid satisfaction.

[/rant]

Im with you on that one slutty!
My biggest pet hate is thos fuck wits that have to follow the merging lane right to the end,especially when there is no one around. You can definately see that in their little minds they believe that if they follow the magic line the merging part will take care of its self Rolling Eyes

Anyways back on track,enhendrekid mabye when you get done for 3km over you may change you mind and be a bit more courteous..
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: What happened to giving a flash! Thu, 30 June 2005 00:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I saw a speed camera yesterday and i flashed a few ppl i got a fair few waves but i was disapointed that i didn't get any flashes as i aproached the camera.
Thank god for bopper radio stations
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: What happened to giving a flash! Thu, 30 June 2005 00:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
riceburna73 wrote on Wed, 29 June 2005 22:50

AE86slut wrote on Wed, 29 June 2005 17:27

[/rant]

Im with you on that one slutty!
My biggest pet hate is thos fuck wits that have to follow the merging lane right to the end,especially when there is no one around. You can definately see that in their little minds they believe that if they follow the magic line the merging part will take care of its self Rolling Eyes

Anyways back on track,enhendrekid mabye when you get done for 3km over you may change you mind and be a bit more courteous..

you two are right on the money here Evil or Very Mad

dont get me started about people that just wait until the lane runs out so they just automerge... are they that lazy?!

I always let ppl in, like if traffic's stopped and there's a sidestreet, some people just pull right up the the bumper in front of them, i leave a gap so they can turn out, give them a little wave or lift the fingers off the steering wheel, makes me happy to extend some common courtesy.

most people just look at you like "WTF.... whatever mate" and keep driving, some smile and wave back

also, what about people that are in a lane thats running out, and you slow down to let them in, and they just DONT FUCKING MERGE, they just keep plodding along in that lane as if you're trying to block them out, that's happened to me so many times, I've even flashed my lights to indicate YES, YOU CAN COME IN TO MY LANE IN FRONT OF ME.... and most people just dont, they just sit there like stunned mullets in their lane ugh Evil or Very Mad

now im getting pissed off!

you just want to grab people like that by their collar and yell at them
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: What happened to giving a flash! Thu, 30 June 2005 01:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EVERYONE who goes out of their way to help me in traffic gets a wave. If it's dark and raining I'll wind down the window and stick my arm out for the wave, to make sure they know I'm appreciative. I also do my best to pick a big gap a.s.a.p when merging, and give teh peeps plenty of indicate & wait action, instead of just forcing my way in.

In 5 weeks of running with the rat-race in (start of) rush-hour traffic, I only ever had ONE PRICK who made life difficult for Me. I seemed to get treated with the same respect I gave everyone else, so Hurrah for commuters on Melbourne's South-Eastern at 7am and 4:20pm

Hurrah!

The "One PRICK" I speak of was in the L.H. lane of teh freeway, doing the same speed as everyone else. He saw Me cruising down the on-ramp 50m ahead of him, at the same speed. He looked me IN THE EYE, then sped up to close the 80-odd metre gap to the next car!!

AAAAARRRRRGGGGHHHHHH ! ! ! ! ! ! Mad Mad Mad

It didn't help that teh pooooftahh drove a Sonata:
http://photos.carsales.com.au/2949832.jpg
In an incredibly rare episode, I instantly saw red, blood brought to the boil by this weasely little fv(ker!! - Naturally an extended horning and middle-finger salute (pumped up/down, AND in/out!!) ensued . . . followed by more horn and dirty, greasey looks after I had to hold up the onramp dropping in behind him, then going around his slow-ass in the middle lane.

But apart from that pointlessly rude bastard - I think courtesey is still alive and well - if you're willing to be excessively kind and considerate ta yo fellow niggah. Razz

oh - I flash!
illuminatus
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: What happened to giving a flash! Thu, 30 June 2005 01:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

also, what about people that are in a lane thats running out, and you slow down to let them in, and they just DONT FUCKING MERGE, they just keep plodding along in that lane as if you're trying to block them out, that's happened to me so many times, I've even flashed my lights to indicate YES, YOU CAN COME IN TO MY LANE IN FRONT OF ME.... and most people just dont, they just sit there like stunned mullets in their lane ugh

thats what i mean, people dont think at all while on the road. they are like sheep. just cruising along then in the last second, "ohh-o where has my lane disapeared to? i should change lanes".

i give them a second to pull in, and if they havnt gone then i over take them, i gave them a chance, at this point if they want to come in they will have to brake to get in behind me. i dont have time to spend behind a sheep. next thing you know they will fall asleep at a red light. THAT SHITS ME THE MOST.
the horn on the ae82 was kinda weak, so i got myself an AIRHORN! now if someone has done something to annoy me they will know it. lol.

[Updated on: Thu, 30 June 2005 01:08]

Cressida Chick
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: What happened to giving a flash! Thu, 30 June 2005 01:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message

makes you wonder !!! it's been illegal for years Rolling Eyes
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: What happened to giving a flash! Thu, 30 June 2005 01:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Merudo wrote on Thu, 30 June 2005 10:44

also, what about people that are in a lane thats running out, and you slow down to let them in, and they just DONT FUCKING MERGE, they just keep plodding along in that lane as if you're trying to block them out, that's happened to me so many times, I've even flashed my lights to indicate YES, YOU CAN COME IN TO MY LANE IN FRONT OF ME.... and most people just dont, they just sit there like stunned mullets in their lane ugh Evil or Very Mad

now im getting pissed off!

you just want to grab people like that by their collar and yell at them

That one ALWAYS gets Me too - maybe people are just used to being cut off or shut-out by pricks?

GGrrrrrrr....... . . .
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: What happened to giving a flash! Thu, 30 June 2005 01:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sometimes i'll do what illuminatus said...

i gave them their chance to merge in in front of me, so now they can get behind me.... because the uber dense ones like that are usually the ones that do 5 - 10km/h under the speed limit, fall asleep at lights, slow down to 20km/h like 60 meters BEFORE their turn, etc etc

I live on the central coast, so i get that a lot (its like the worlds biggest old persons home)
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: What happened to giving a flash! Fri, 01 July 2005 00:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cressida Chick wrote on Thu, 30 June 2005 11:03

makes you wonder !!! it's been illegal for years Rolling Eyes

It's a stupid law. If it's illegal to warn oncomming traffic of a speed camera, then why are they allowed to announce them on the radio?

Or is it the "distraction of flashing lights"? I thought that you where allowed to flash your lights to notify motorists of road hazards. I'd apreciate a flash from someone if I was heading for a blind corner that had an accident or fallen tree right after it.

As for the rest of this thread about common courtesy is pretty spot on. Lots of jerks out there. But then there are the occasional nice guy/chick that gives ya a wave. And I go out of my way to give anyone who lets me merge a wave - or I show them the courtesy to not hold them up anymore than I have to.
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: What happened to giving a flash! Fri, 01 July 2005 04:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
On the way to lunch I waved 5 people through. All five waved back.
Arch
Forums Junkie

January 2004

Re: What happened to giving a flash! Fri, 01 July 2005 04:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I always do it, always have, always will.

however, in the whole of 2005 i have only recieved ONE flash from another motorist, of course i waved back Wink

As for the issue of encouraging speeding by flashing, i OBJECT to that. For example, if i see a car doing well over the limit, i will flash that driver even tho there is no camera. This causes the driver to slow down. I honestly think im doing the right thing there.... do you others agree?

I will continue to flash drivers, and in return i would like to see more drivers flashing me, it really has died down the last 3 years or so. Is this also because speed cameras are covering almost all roads now?
coFF33
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: What happened to giving a flash! Fri, 01 July 2005 07:21 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
something that shits me though .. is when $@%!head P Platers in small cars flash you and there ISNT a speed camera. so u cruise along at 50 in a 60 zone FOR NO REASON

makes me turn into Dr Furioso
Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Some crazy photochops
Next Topic:DVD Burner problems
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 13:33:41 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0097301006317139 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.