Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Leaking coolant but from the over flow?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
GTH 00R
Occasional Poster

August 2003
icon5.gif  Leaking coolant but from the over flow? Mon, 27 June 2005 07:32 Go to next message
Alright i've done a conversion to my st162 celica 88 mod, i put an MR2 engine jap spec 3sge engine, eveything is sweet except its emptying the radiator fluid into the overflow and leaking, can sum one please help me its drivin me crazy it only starts doing this when the revs go up and or start drivin at idle it doesnt leak. Could it be my themostat should i just remove it? is it my raditator cap? please help thanks guys =P
  Send a private message to this user    
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Leaking coolant but from the over flow? Mon, 27 June 2005 07:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
start with the simple things like replacing the radiator cap. if faulty it will do exactly what your symptoms are.
wouldnt hurt to put a new thermastat in as well, who knows how long the one it's got been there.
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Leaking coolant but from the over flow? Mon, 27 June 2005 07:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Check that the overflow pipes are connected correctly. The hose from the cap should connect to the pipe that goes to the bottom of the overflow, while the vent should be at the top. I had these around the wrong way when I did my conversion and it leaked all the time until I realised the problem.
GTH 00R
Occasional Poster

August 2003
Re: Leaking coolant but from the over flow? Mon, 27 June 2005 10:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yea the thermostat is brand new n all da plumbing is where it should be its jus building up pressure from sum where hmmm keep da sugestions cumin Smiley =
dingaling
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Leaking coolant but from the over flow? Mon, 27 June 2005 11:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
got a diesel doing this aswell. No visible leaks. yet contant air/pressure build up from the cooling system, erupting out of the overflow bottle.

Have finally settled on the notion that the head is cracked.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Leaking coolant but from the over flow? Mon, 27 June 2005 23:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Classic symptoms of a blown headgasket. Combustion pressure is finding its way into the cooling system and pushing coolant out of the overflow. I had the same thing happen on my 18R-G, pulled off the head and sure enough the gasket was gone. Sad
dingaling
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Leaking coolant but from the over flow? Tue, 28 June 2005 01:55 Go to previous message
Well there is abit of history with this diesel engine.

MY grampa buaght one of them fuckin musso's. You know those korean cars with supposedly Mercedes engines/drivelines(the merc engines are made in korea too! so is the garret turbo's they put on them). Anyway he was driving along and suddenly the engine overheated and stoped. Turns out he bent 4 of the 5 conrods (5 cylinder diesel) warped the head like a banana and overheated the crap out of it. (yep coolant got into the combustion chamber)

He sold the entire musso to me for $4000 (1998) Got the engine back from the mechanics in pieces (they chargted $2000 to even inspect the damamge, and another $13,000 to overhual the engine. At this point my grampa just whent out and buaght another 4wd. (patrol, shoulda got a landcruiser) and handed over the musso keys to me.

I discovered a leak in a radiator pipe, and a headgasket that was deteriated to the max.

I have put the engine back together myself with new parts. Including a new headgasket. And the head has been straightened, with new headbolts.

once back together and back in the musso, the thing wouldn't start for a week, had to pruge air out of the fuel lines, finally started it, made lots of bad noises, turns out my fuel timing was out, dam tricky to get right on these cars. And by then it's running real smooth. But the constant air spurting out of the overflow is still a problem. Already spent $3500 on another flamming korean made merc diesel engine (non turbo).

So i will take the thead off the old one and check to see if the gasket was leaking. I don't see how, unless the head is warped again, apparently once they are overheated the metal becomes too soft to hold it's shape.

Sorry for the long post. (Musso's wiegh 2500Kg and the diesel puts out 97HP and 250nm of torque LOL)

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:engine weights?
Next Topic:front brakes ta22
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 07:06:51 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0051889419555664 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.