Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Exhaust Drone on AE93 SX ... Advice/Comments/Suggestions

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
smoo33
Newcomer

June 2005
Exhaust Drone on AE93 SX ... Advice/Comments/Suggestions Tue, 28 June 2005 03:47 Go to next message
Hi,

I have looked though the forums, but cannot find the specific info I needed, so wanted to throw this out there for discussion. Any help is appreciated ...

I have a 1990 Seca SX with no engine mods. Recently got a full exhaust system put on, and since then have basically had it re-made as it was a bit of a bodgy job (piping hitting on engine crossmember, MASSIVE droning, etc). This is how the system stands now:-

Hurricane headers/extractors .. which I would not recommend, mine are within a bee's d!ck of the starter motor, no clearance whatsoever.
2.25" piping, standard press bends.
unknown new cat convertor, hopefully high flow.
2 x 18" 2.25" hotdog style resonators, glasspack
14" long, 2.25" Redback baffled rear muffler
straight 2.25" piping at exit, no "milo tin" tip or anything

The car performace has definite improvements in mid range pull and top end is less "strangled" now ... BUT ... the resonant droning inside the car at around 3500-4500 rpm is still pretty bad. Unfortunately, as you would know due to the gearing on these cars, that means between 105-125Km/h on the freeway. I realise everyone's interpretation of this is different, as per my lengthy arguements with the muffler shop, but is there a different type of rear muffler that I could look at. Their advice is cr@p and they can't even keep to the same story as to size Vs noise and baffled vs straight through.

Would a decent straight through cannon style muffler at the rear be quieter inside the car than a baffled muffler ?

I have got them to do a more restrictive 2" dia 16" long muffler for the rear and that does quieten it but looses performance. Obviously it is all down to muffler design as to how quiet it would be, and there is a trade off from power to noise... but just wondering if there is a better way.

Thanks,
Stu
  Send a private message to this user    
b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: Exhaust Drone on AE93 SX ... Advice/Comments/Suggestions Tue, 28 June 2005 16:29 Go to previous message
i would suggest goin with apexi or HKS or the pricey ones. those are usually quieter. and no dont get cannon under any situation coz its probably loud.

i used to have an apexi dunk, it was straight tru flow and quiet enuff. very huge muffler but quiet.

http://www.twincam.org/forums/uploads/post-4-1094377933.jpg
  Send a private message to this user    
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:4AGTE clutches what is REALLY needed!
Next Topic:turbo conversion probs: Intercooler piping, air con
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 04:27:26 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0046989917755127 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.