Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Meetch
Occasional Poster

April 2005
Why? Sun, 26 June 2005 12:15 Go to next message
You know when he see someones car that you think. Hmmm. Over done?

You aint seen nothing Neutral

http://speedhawaii.com/sp.cgi?t=main2.htm&c=ta s04parkinglot.htm#3

Why? lol
  Send a private message to this user    
xolent
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: Why? Sun, 26 June 2005 14:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
too much time, too much money and not enough thinking!
Boso_Elvis
Occasional Poster

February 2005
Re: Why? Sun, 26 June 2005 15:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok there's a lot of misinformation about these cars so I thought I'd clear a few things up:

Thats what the Japanese call Yankii style, after the young street thugs that originally drove them in the 70s and 80s (i.e. Yankees). Alot of people call this style Bosozoku but that's only partially true, to understand why you have to understand the fundamental difference between Yankii and Bosozoku themselves.

Yankii: As I said before these guys were just Japanese high school street thugs from the 70s and 80s, they are characterized by the trademark elvis hairdoos and Kamekazi pilot/school uniform hybrid clothes. The modern day equivalent of these guys would be the hektik brigade that wear Wu tang/Eminem gear and cruise around in Vn Commos with chromeez, altezzas and massive stereos. Except instead of VN commodores Yankii preffered to drive these things. (Note: Modern day Yankii still exist, just not this traditional, classic style)

(Some pictures of what the traditional Yankii style looks like http://masamania.com/archives/2005/05/fan_of_kishi dan.html)

Bosozoku: This literally translates in English into speed tribe. These are guys Yankiis who have formed organised groups to street race together, all Bosozoku are Yankii (street thugs), but not all yankii are Bosozoku (i.e. they may not street race in organised groups). Bosozoku are mostly bikers but some still drove the yankii style cars like in the pics as well. Bosozoku groups also have a heirachical structure, with a leaders and lesser members. Like Yankii Bosozoku are generally violent by nature, and it was not unusual for small riots etc. to break out between rival groups back in their heyday.

Unlike traditional yankii, apparently some small groups of Bosozoku still exist in Japan. But due to massive police crackdowns on Bosozoku in the early 90s, and the unfashionableness of the traditional Yankii style they barely exist any more. If anyone has seen the movie Akira, the groups of biker kids that are portrayed are Bosozoku, but the concept of Bosozoku has seemed to be lost in translation to English speaking audiences.

As I said before it's not a new thing to make cars like this, and was popular in the 70s and 80s in Japan. What they are trying to do is emulate the style of the Japanese domestic touring car classes of the era. You see two really distinct types of cars within the Yankii style, the early ones (i.e. 70s), which still look reasonably tasteful and usually only sport a set of massive flares w/ massive offset wheels, an external oil cooler and the trademark organ pipe exhausts. However, later ones, from the 80s are the more grotesque ones, with the massive big box flares made from fiberglass/sheet metal/mdf and massive snowplow splitters. These are an accentuated interpretation of the Japanese group 5 / formula silhouette touring cars from the early 80s which looked similar due to their wild aerodynamic packages.

The main reason why Yankiis built cars like this is to grab attention, this need for attention is also reflected in the way they dressed and acted. Other ways they used the cars to grab attention was to fit Claxons (air horns), those massive organ pipe exhausts which are ear burstingly loud and poorly tuned carbs which would backfire etc.

Due to the fact that dressing like a traditonal Yankii and driving an old school Yankii style car went out of fashion in Japan in the very early 90s/late 80s I'd say that the reason those guys have cars like that is because it's retro cool, i.e. like the 50's style rat rod greaser mobiles that have become popular again recently. In fact you could probably make the assumption that Yankiis are the Japanese equivalent of greasers.

There's no denying that those cars are some of the most stupid/bizarre/ugly/impractical machines on the planet but that's the reason why I love them Razz. I really have no problem with people dressing stuff up like this that would normally be scrapped or left to rot but it really does make you cringe when you sometimes see classic and rare things like ta22 gt Celicas tarted up like that, ouch.

Now that I've written an encyclopedia I'm off to bed.

[Updated on: Mon, 27 June 2005 06:11]

Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Why? Mon, 27 June 2005 03:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anyone seen Live For Speed One or Two.
h3ff44
Forums Junkie

February 2005
Re: Why? Mon, 27 June 2005 06:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the only live for speed i know is the game!
although i remember someone talking about it a while back.
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Why? Mon, 27 June 2005 07:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

Boso_Elvis wrote on Mon, 27 June 2005 01:47

The main reason why Yankiis built cars like this is to grab attention, this need for attention is also reflected in the way they dressed and acted.

In a country where everyone looks the same I can understand someone trying to look different.

Any way, good blurb on the differences between the groups and their history etc.

seeyuzz
river
Rolla Boy
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002
Re: Why? Mon, 27 June 2005 10:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://speedhawaii.com/events/2004/january/tas04parkinglot/015.jpg

GOT DISH??????????????

http://speedhawaii.com/events/2004/january/tas04parkinglot/048.jpg
nitephyre
Regular

July 2003
Re: Why? Mon, 27 June 2005 13:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
repost number eleventybillionplusone of those damn cars Rolling Eyes
Evan
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Why? Tue, 28 June 2005 00:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thats cool. crazy VIP style
BOCKA
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: Why? Tue, 28 June 2005 05:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dont mind some of em, the r31 is pretty rad for a 31. but most eof em suck the big one GGHHEEYYYYY
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Why? Tue, 28 June 2005 05:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pretty rad for a 31 you obvioulsy haven't been here http://www.r31skylineclub.com
MX73_drifter
Forums Junkie

October 2004

Re: Why? Sat, 02 July 2005 09:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ill take the purple mz20
Pieman
Regular

February 2005
Re: Why? Sun, 03 July 2005 21:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Crazy asians lol
Arch
Forums Junkie

January 2004

Re: Why? Sun, 03 July 2005 23:13 Go to previous message
Why not?
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:good mechanic in perth
Next Topic:ae92 Seca SX front lip part numbers? Left & right halves.
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 09:03:40 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.006540060043335 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.