Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » $250 is that cheap for a HID conversion kit?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
ST162GT-R
Regular

February 2004
$250 is that cheap for a HID conversion kit? Tue, 28 June 2005 01:40 Go to next message
Hey guys

Just want to get your opinion, do you think $250 from a wholesaler cheap for a HID conversion kit (8000k H4)?
  Send a private message to this user    
ZZT231
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: $250 is that cheap for a HID conversion kit? Tue, 28 June 2005 01:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Apparently they are illegal as they don't have automatic height adjusters or something like that.

Here is the link
http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&g oto=644652&rid=71&S=dec0a95db243151b15b7e2 e5be490511
ST162GT-R
Regular

February 2004
Re: $250 is that cheap for a HID conversion kit? Tue, 28 June 2005 02:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmm...well thats a downer, might need to do somemore research, thanks for the heads up
Callifo
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: $250 is that cheap for a HID conversion kit? Tue, 28 June 2005 02:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Also thats a very blue/purple colour so itll be half obvious. 5000k would be less better.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: $250 is that cheap for a HID conversion kit? Tue, 28 June 2005 02:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
arent't the reflectors for HID a different design than for normal bulbs? or is that just because they have flat/non-lense front?
FWDCelica
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: $250 is that cheap for a HID conversion kit? Tue, 28 June 2005 04:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ST162GT-R wrote on Tue, 28 June 2005 11:40

Hey guys

Just want to get your opinion, do you think $250 from a wholesaler cheap for a HID conversion kit (8000k H4)?

Cheap as !

But it's probably crap too.

Where are the ballasts made ?
Where are the globes made ?
What brand are they?

Does it come with a warranty?

And I think it is illegal. I think they're supposed to have a self levelling device in them.

Check out this :

http://www.hella-press.de/search_detail.php?text_i d=189&language=e&newdir=eng

and

http://faqlight.carpassion.info/headlamp-faq.htm

Cheers
T.
ST162GT-R
Regular

February 2004
Re: $250 is that cheap for a HID conversion kit? Tue, 28 June 2005 05:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah good point about that, not sure about warranty and all, self leveling device hmm..does flip lights count Laughing ,
Soarin
Regular

June 2002
Re: $250 is that cheap for a HID conversion kit? Tue, 28 June 2005 05:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I really don't see a problem with HID's when they are aimed correctly (i just adjusted mine last night).

$250 is cheap for an HID kit! The highest I'd go on the colour temp is 6000K (white/blue).

To make it proper though you will need proper D2S HIS projector housings, this is where I'm at with my HID conversion (I've got the bulbs and ballasts, I just need to source some proper HID projectors).

Jose
ST162GT-R
Regular

February 2004
Re: $250 is that cheap for a HID conversion kit? Tue, 28 June 2005 05:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so basically all i need to make this HID legal is a self levelling device and a proper HID projector housing? and it should ok?? or even if i do that it still won't pass period.
Soarin
Regular

June 2002
Re: $250 is that cheap for a HID conversion kit? Tue, 28 June 2005 11:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
To make HID's legal you basically need...
* HID bulbs and ballasts
* HID projector housings (I still dunno how to get auto leveling done, but I haven't had a problem with glare from oncoming motorists)
* External headlamp washers (like on the LS400, some ES300's, SAAB's etc...) because when xenon light hits a dust particle it diffuses, and they say that it can blind oncoming motorists (which I reckon is a load of bull).
ShiRi
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: $250 is that cheap for a HID conversion kit? Tue, 28 June 2005 11:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
u get what u pay for

cheap hids will blow in 6 months

shiri
86tt
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: $250 is that cheap for a HID conversion kit? Fri, 01 July 2005 01:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nah, $250 is probably all it's worth wholesale price, or even less than $250... they'll last as long as you seal them against moisture which is the mistake most people make.. but not sure if you need to get it engineered though, you need special reflectors, headlight washers that will automatically wash it every so many times you turn on the light, and self leveling device etc
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: $250 is that cheap for a HID conversion kit? Fri, 01 July 2005 02:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wouldn't they be legal in high-beam use? I'd think all the reasons for needing the expensive self-levellers etc. would vapourise if they're high-beam only . . . . .
86tt
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: $250 is that cheap for a HID conversion kit? Fri, 01 July 2005 03:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you mean offroad use? Smile

no one would really want to upgrade their high beam, coz you don't use your high beam often, and usually when you want to use the high beam, it means the roads are very dark, and HID needs time to warm up to acceptable brightness, that's why most of the cheaper OEM cars only have HID on low beam, until recently becoz HID is so cheap these days, they decided to have dual xenon, but some of the HID setup uses only 1 bulb per side, and tilts the beam up when u flick the high beam
Joshstix
Forums Junkie

Toymods Vice President

May 2002
Re: $250 is that cheap for a HID conversion kit? Fri, 01 July 2005 06:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
86tt wrote on Fri, 01 July 2005 13:51

no one would really want to upgrade their high beam, coz you don't use your high beam often, and usually when you want to use the high beam, it means the roads are very dark,

HAHA

I see no reason to upgrade head lights other than hi beams. Who really has problems with low beam lights especially when they live in a city.

I'm a country boy at heart and I know that hi beam is where it's at. Low beam is just to use around town and upgrading low beam is just to impress other people outside the car.
86tt
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: $250 is that cheap for a HID conversion kit? Fri, 01 July 2005 09:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you're just a minority living in the country, most people don't live in the countries, and most car come standard with HID low beam and not high beam? Why? Because most people live in the city.

halogen lights are not bright enough even if you live in the city, unless all your driving is done on the main streets near the station or all you do is drive around in the CBD! Which would be a very rare case!

if you drive a car which is pre-90, the headlight are even worst, it makes a lot of sense to have a brighter headlight as it greatly reduces fatigue, and will prevent a lot of other serious accidents, you'll see and will prevent a lot more road hazards including pot holes, shopping trollies and stray animals, and other cars will get to know your presence even around corners, they can look out for you, say it was dark at night and they wasn't paying attention, and was about to miss the give way or stop sign, the brighter light from your car could remind them of your presence, or even if you were the one who missed the give way or stop signs, other cars will be more alert and could reduce or prevent the accident from happening altogether!

If the government is serious about road safety, first thing they should do is get together and have some engineers to install HID on cars legally and safety for a good discounted price, afterall HID uses way less energy, and emits much more light which travels further, and will improve the visibility of the roads and cars. Which is sure to reduce road accidents

Your single sided/single minded opinion is just prejudice
Joshstix
Forums Junkie

Toymods Vice President

May 2002
Re: $250 is that cheap for a HID conversion kit? Fri, 01 July 2005 11:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dude I live in the Hills district of Sydney.

I haven't lived in the country for 11 years but I sure as hell know that good hi beam lights are a lot more important than good low beam head lights. What speeds do you do when using low beam compared to hi beam?

I think you'll find that you are the one with the single minded view of this.
Arch
Forums Junkie

January 2004

Re: $250 is that cheap for a HID conversion kit? Fri, 01 July 2005 14:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
legal schmegal
86tt
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: $250 is that cheap for a HID conversion kit? Fri, 01 July 2005 16:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Joshstix wrote on Fri, 01 July 2005 21:35

Dude I live in the Hills district of Sydney.

I haven't lived in the country for 11 years but I sure as hell know that good hi beam lights are a lot more important than good low beam head lights. What speeds do you do when using low beam compared to hi beam?

I think you'll find that you are the one with the single minded view of this.

the reason why the low beam is HID is because a HID low beam is so bright and the well designed system have the beam directed properly so it doesn't blind the opposite traffic (sharp cut off in the right hand side while illumination the left hand side more), that you hardly need to use the high beam even if you're in a dark suburbane streets.

But if you were to upgrade the high beam, how often, someone have flicked on the high beam, and forgets to flick it back when there's oncoming traffics etc. how often this happens? But if the low beam was HID (a well designed system), you didn't even have to flick to high beam in the first place
Soarin
Regular

June 2002
Re: $250 is that cheap for a HID conversion kit? Fri, 01 July 2005 16:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Arch wrote on Sat, 02 July 2005 00:17

legal schmegal

W3rd Very Happy

Anyway, most (that I've seen) OEM HID-fitted cars have HID's only fitted to their low beams as they'd be blinding to oncoming motorists if they were in the high beam sockets (have you seen semis on the interstate fitted with HID??? Blinding (and they've got them on all their bloody lights)).

I'm using them in my low beams because my stock projectors suck with halogens. Without the proper projectors (D2S), you don't have the proper light spread of true OEM HID, but HID's are still brighter than any halogen I've had (including the Super White *cheap cheap* bulbs).
86tt
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: $250 is that cheap for a HID conversion kit? Sat, 02 July 2005 03:22 Go to previous message
Soarin wrote on Sat, 02 July 2005 02:46

Arch wrote on Sat, 02 July 2005 00:17

legal schmegal

W3rd Very Happy

Anyway, most (that I've seen) OEM HID-fitted cars have HID's only fitted to their low beams as they'd be blinding to oncoming motorists if they were in the high beam sockets (have you seen semis on the interstate fitted with HID??? Blinding (and they've got them on all their bloody lights)).

I'm using them in my low beams because my stock projectors suck with halogens. Without the proper projectors (D2S), you don't have the proper light spread of true OEM HID, but HID's are still brighter than any halogen I've had (including the Super White *cheap cheap* bulbs).

it also isn't practical to fit one to a high beam socket as usually if you're city driving, and you drive into a dark street, you turn on the high beam, you would usually need it instantly, which the HID doesn't provide as it takes time to warm up, so the ability of tilting of the beam is much more practical while having the added advantage of having only 1 bulb per side to save cost, although HID bulbs are cheap these days

[Updated on: Sat, 02 July 2005 03:23]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:FWD 4AGE sucks!!!
Next Topic:JDMR2 HoTneSS
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 17:20:04 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0059881210327148 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.