Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » WHAT BRAKES FIT A TA22!!!

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
ta22boy
Regular

May 2005
icon4.gif  WHAT BRAKES FIT A TA22!!! Tue, 28 June 2005 08:17 Go to next message
hey all,
now i am putting in a turbo engine soon and need to know what options i have for brakes. does anyone know anything about putting rear discs on a ta22? also what is the best disc and caliper upgrade for the front?? thanks for any help....

scott
  Send a private message to this user    
September_Squall
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: WHAT BRAKES FIT A TA22!!! Tue, 28 June 2005 09:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
All your answers are here.

For a start, some magic words are
Hilux LN106 Pugeuot Corona XT130 RT132
brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: WHAT BRAKES FIT A TA22!!! Tue, 28 June 2005 09:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
scott,

for the rear you can BOLT on st141/rt142 avante disk brakes and callipers. easy

for the front u can do the hilux/xt130/peugot upgrade as per tech article

or

put RA60 hubs, disks and callipers on your existing strut. hubs and rotors will go straight on to your stub axle but a custom bracket for the calliper is required. if you want, let me know and i'll help make some. i can get steel plate suitable.

i can organise some rear disks for you if you want
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: WHAT BRAKES FIT A TA22!!! Wed, 29 June 2005 01:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
brett_celicacoupe wrote on Tue, 28 June 2005 19:51

put RA60 hubs, disks and callipers on your existing strut. hubs and rotors will go straight on to your stub axle but a custom bracket for the calliper is required.

This won't work on a TA22, the stub axle is smaller.
dorikin
Regular

I supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: WHAT BRAKES FIT A TA22!!! Wed, 29 June 2005 02:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have done the hilux/pug conversion (see pic left) and it is awesome. however given the cost, if i had to do it again, i'd probably go with a RA65 setup. bolts in and is plenty big enough for most modified TA22s with a decent set of pads - even though it shares the same issue of being a longer strut like the XT130 requiring shortening.
Turbo_Tim
Regular

February 2005
Re: WHAT BRAKES FIT A TA22!!! Wed, 29 June 2005 02:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Brett, i know that celica in your av...

As for these rear corona discs, sure they bolt straight on to a T series rear end? Reason being people said the same about the ra60 fronts, close to bolt on, but not quite, still a bit of modification needed.

Oh yeah if you havent realised who I am yet, think t18's and sprints Smile
yrhkira
Regular

June 2005
Re: WHAT BRAKES FIT A TA22!!! Wed, 29 June 2005 04:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Scott,

Any upgrade from the TA-22 involves several things so it is really not that simple.

1)The single circuit master cylinder just will not be suitable for any brake upgrade and if any motorsport is planned then CAMS recommends a dual circuit brake set-up. So a change will need to be factored in.

2) The choice of wheels will determine the size of rotor. I did the upgrade discribed below to fit into my 13" wheels.

3) The rear set-up needs sorting. The easiest is to put in RA23/28 slave cylinders.

4) The struts with their stub axles are smaller and so do not match things such as the RA series, Corona series and even the Commodore hub sizes. This severely limits you options.

So the first thing to do would be to find RA23/28 struts.

Then you can do any of the conversions we all talk about and use what springs and shock you may already have.

If the MA/RA/60 route is your choice. Then this is similar to what I had to do:

An 8mm spacer ring was made up to move the hub out.

Then the bearing nut was reduce by 8mm thickness to get the split pin in.

This little conversion may help many that run or wish to swap to adjustable spring platforms as you will gain an extra 8mm clearance to the strut at the tyre. It was a bonus for me because the tyre rubbed when I added keeper springs in. They lowered the platform into line with the tyre.

The spacer combination placed the centreline of the rotor back to where the RA23/28 rotor was. The Caliper should then line up with the existing bracket.

I am saying this should work because I have used Magna calipers on this hub/rotor set-up. Pic of my set-up below. (I have another showing how the caliper mounts but cannot get the link back to it.)

http://img35.echo.cx/img35/3689/caliperrotor9tl.jp g

I actually still have the RA60 donor calipers at home and must try this myself.

I then cut off the orignal bracket ears and redrilled new mounting holes, then welded in a stiffner plate to replace the bracket lip that was removed. I used the original bolts to hold the calipers.

The only problem I have with the Magna caliper is, that it is made for a 24mm thick rotor and the RA60 ones are 20mm, so I need to be careful not to let my pads wear too low as they will fall out. I am working on a solution for that.

All this works very well with a 1 inch Master cylinder and that is another story.

Something to think about.

Regards

Rodger
brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: WHAT BRAKES FIT A TA22!!! Wed, 29 June 2005 09:30 Go to previous message
Turbo_Tim wrote on Wed, 29 June 2005 12:59

Brett, i know that celica in your av...

As for these rear corona discs, sure they bolt straight on to a T series rear end? Reason being people said the same about the ra60 fronts, close to bolt on, but not quite, still a bit of modification needed.

Oh yeah if you havent realised who I am yet, think t18's and sprints Smile

ahh!! its you. hows the old t18 going anyway??

my 1g-gte should be arriving tommorow Evil or Very Mad

im not sure if i will have my 1ggte-ra60 ready for the next track day unfortunately. i will probly have it ready for the final race meeting of the season Cool .

and yes, the corona rear disks WILL bolt onto T, F, and E series rear ends

ill pm you

brett
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:* UZX73 * It Lives again
Next Topic:would anyone have 1ggte gz20 dash wiring?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 08:54:31 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0050408840179443 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.