Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » turbo conversion probs: Intercooler piping, air con

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Big T
Forums Junkie

September 2004
turbo conversion probs: Intercooler piping, air con Tue, 28 June 2005 14:27 Go to next message
Hey all. I think i might run into a little problem with my turbo conversion. The intercooler piping doesn't look like it's going to fit properly due to the fact that i have a Trueno 86, not a Levin so the pop-up headlights get in the way. I haven't actually tested the turbo/piping yet but from what i can see, it's just not happening.

If anyone has any pics of their piping and how they got around space confines, that would be awesome. I just need to get a few ideas as to how i'll do it. A couple ideas i already have are:

1. Remove clutch fan, relocate radiator further back to create space to the front. I'll have to run thermo fans instead.

2. Run a V-mount intercooler but i have NFI as to how to go about it. Probably have to remove air-con thingy on the front and run both the radiator/intercooler at the same angle.

3. Run a water/air intercooler setup instead.

To make things worse, i have a twin core radiator that has to fit up front as well. It's also slightly wider than the stock item by about 8-10cm or so.

Another thing i've noticed is that the air-con setup looks like it might get in the way of the turbo. Has everyone just removed theirs or does it fit in fine? Thanks in advance.

Eddie.
  Send a private message to this user    
Yian
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

August 2004
Re: turbo conversion probs: Intercooler piping, air con Tue, 28 June 2005 14:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No space behind the front bar? Kinda between the front apron bit and the air-con condensor? That would be the place I'd fit it. Mind you I've never seen the amount of space available on a Trueno.

Personally I'd just piss off the air-con so it makes life a lot easier when fitting the cooler and associated piping.

Good luck.

Yian
Big T
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: turbo conversion probs: Intercooler piping, air con Tue, 28 June 2005 14:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh, the physical space needed between the front bar and the aircon thingy is massive... its just getting the piping to get to that space that's causing me grief.

I've already got pre-made piping off The Witzl and they look like they're not going to fit. I could always go custom but then i've got spare pipes that aren't useful for anything.

Eddie.
manmx83
Regular

July 2004
Re: turbo conversion probs: Intercooler piping, air con Tue, 28 June 2005 15:18 Go to previous message
I think you should just put your stuff where it fits best and fabricate pipe to suit.You will be happier in the end.Mild steel exhaust pipe works fine,is cheap and easy to weld.If money is real tight go through the bin at the exhaust shop and grab a heap of bends in the right diameter,cut them up at home and get a buddy to weld them up for a box of beer.add engine enamel and your laughing.Its not rocket science but people make it seem like it is.Best of luck! cheers.Pete.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Exhaust Drone on AE93 SX ... Advice/Comments/Suggestions
Next Topic:1jz-gte engine
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 07:29:52 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0042288303375244 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.