AuthorTopic
Squid
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Help - Battery Charge Problem Tue, 28 June 2005 11:58 Go to next message
I have a problem with my Celica.

With engine running voltage across battery = 14V
Without Engine running voltage = 12.8V

Battery doesn't hold charge for more than an hour.

Removing the -ve terminal and running an ammeter in line with it there is no current draw shown. (this seems strange as there is the clock, radio and alarm which should all draw some current).

Other measurements im not sure relate to the problem:

Both leads disconnected approx 500 ohms across +/- leads.
Negative disconnected -12 across -ve terminal and -ve lead.
Negative disconnected 0 across =ve Terminal and -ve lead.

Any ideas??? I'm not the best at this but i think it looks like the battery is fucked!
  Send a private message to this user    
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Help - Battery Charge Problem Tue, 28 June 2005 12:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

The 14V with the engine running is good and means your alternator is putting out the required voltage. When not being charged the battery should be around 13V, so your voltage sounds fine for the battery.

However, if the battery is old or has some damaged cells - or more likely, worn out, then it won't keep a charge for very long.

How old is your battery? If it's over 4/5 yars old then it's just getting on a bit and isn't holding its charge and needs to be replaced. If it's pretty new, have you given it a hard time? Lead acid batteries do not have a long life if they are discharged to a very low amount. They never recover properly and their life is shortened.

Furthermore, batteries don't like the cold and it is usually in the colder winter months when you find out if your battery is good or not.

All up, it sounds like the battery to me and I'd replace it with a new one. Or, swap with another car (if you got another car to try) and if the battery dies in the other car then it will confirm it is indeed a bad/old battery.

seeyuzz
river

PS: I assume you've checked the fluid levels if it is a non-sealed type?
Squid
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: Help - Battery Charge Problem Tue, 28 June 2005 12:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Battery is less than 6 months old as is alternator and regulator.

It is sealed so fluid levels are not a problem (or shouldn't be).

It may be faulty and NRMA have a warranty so i might investigate that.
Squid
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: Help - Battery Charge Problem Wed, 29 June 2005 00:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Can't try the rolla battery - it is stuffed, happens when mum doesn't put water in it for 3 years :S I know I need a new one there. Luckily I can push start it on my own!
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Help - Battery Charge Problem Wed, 29 June 2005 01:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Might be a bad earth? Wink
Squid
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: Help - Battery Charge Problem Wed, 29 June 2005 01:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks shane Razz

But if it was earth leakage wouldn't the current have been measurable? That is why I ruled it out.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Help - Battery Charge Problem Wed, 29 June 2005 01:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well from what I have read on these forums, a bad earth can mysteriously drain current from things that are disconnected.
Does that make sense? I don't think so, but neither do those other threads Confused
Squid
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: Help - Battery Charge Problem Wed, 29 June 2005 01:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
haha fair point, serves me right for applying common sense to a problem, I should have just made some wild assumptions!
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Help - Battery Charge Problem Wed, 29 June 2005 01:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Squid wrote on Wed, 29 June 2005 11:30

I should have just made some wild assumptions!

Now your with the program.
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Help - Battery Charge Problem Wed, 29 June 2005 01:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

Take the battery out of the car, or disconnect it completely and then put it on a battery charger.

Charge it for a day and then leave it disconnected and see how much guts it has after another day (ie without being connected to anything). If it's gutless then it's your battery, if it's okay then you gotta look for something in your car (ie when the battery is all connected up) to being the culprit.

seeyuzz
river
Squid
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: Help - Battery Charge Problem Wed, 29 June 2005 01:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks mate, already up to step one on that one!

Will let you know how I go!
Squid
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: Help - Battery Charge Problem Fri, 01 July 2005 00:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Battery was screwed, mechanic checked it out for me. NRMA replaced it for me, even though the guy said they aren't normally allowed to do warranty on flat batteries (wtf, why would you get a warranty job done on a good battery???)
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Help - Battery Charge Problem Fri, 01 July 2005 07:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

Good to hear it was just the battery and nothing more costly (ie regulation or charging issues).

NRMA - Not Really Motoring Afficiendos. I dropped out of the NRMA donkey years ago. They cost too much and do too little. The two times I called them on the RA25 they just shook their heads and couldn't help. So I effed them off.

I'm like McGyver now (perhaps I should call myself McRiver!). Give me a tub of butter, a bit of alfoil and chewing gum and I can fix anything in the car Smile

seeyuzz
river
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Help - Battery Charge Problem Fri, 01 July 2005 07:44 Go to previous message
Might of been a bad earth in the battery?
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:ECU Question
Next Topic:Toyota diff sizes
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 09:09:08 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0050370693206787 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.