Toymods » Tech & Conversions » MX-62 Cressida Engine Conversion

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Ulfrikr
Newcomer

June 2005
icon5.gif  MX-62 Cressida Engine Conversion Tue, 28 June 2005 01:10 Go to next message
Greetings All,

First posting and it's a biggie. Okay, I've searched the Forum Archives and have come to some degree of a conclusion about this, but am wondering if I can get some advice with regards to doing this. So, on to the story:

My friend owns a 1984 MX-62 with a 5ME engine in it. Basically the engine is on it's last legs and the auto clutch has died almost completely. He's tried asking around to get the auto clutch repaired, and the minimum price for most places, with labour, was around the $1,000 area. Clearly, from my research, you can buy an engine and gearbox for that. So, the car is currently sitting and is due a transplant.

The Questions:

I've read up a bit on the 7M-GE engine, and it looks like a good update for the prices I have seen going around the place. From looking around, it seems a few have done this, and have experience with this, so, is it a straight mechanical take out/drop in/bolt up operation?

How difficult is it to do the wiring on such a conversion?

I'm going to be sourcing a MX-62 repair manual, so will hopefully have a full wiring diagram for it, but am wondering if anyone has handy a wiring diagram to suite the 7M-GE?

Clearly, cost is a major factor in this whole thing, as my friend is a pensioner, and I'm helping him out with the whole thing, so we need to do this as econmically as possible (Note: I still want to do it right, and as the major cost of anything like this is time/labour, we'll be doing this ourselves).

Any assistance anyone can provide will be very much appreciated, as this is the first time I have taken on a project of this complexity or magnitude.

Thanks
  Send a private message to this user    
peeack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2004
Re: MX-62 Cressida Engine Conversion Tue, 28 June 2005 01:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've got one, it's for a 7M-GE in a Supra, if you need any of it scanned let me know.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: MX-62 Cressida Engine Conversion Tue, 28 June 2005 01:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wiring on a 7MGE will be piss easy.
Can do it in a matter of hours if you do it dodgily, or half a day if you do it properly and splice it in where it all should go.

Wiring diagrams at http://www.supratsrm.com

Bewary of going into 2nd hand 7M territory as it can be BHG central.

If you use 7M auto you'll need the tailshaft yoke too.

Motor/gbox out of MX83 Cressida would be best bet.
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: MX-62 Cressida Engine Conversion Tue, 28 June 2005 02:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What CrUZsida said.
7MGE is easiest/best option in that price range. Good NA motor, cheapish and should provide good economical motoring.
Use the 5M mounts, the 5M sump/oil pickup (unless you get a Cressida MX83 motor - no changes needed) and hopefully the gearbox crossmember should need no/minimal modification. You will need a new tailshaft - the front yoke is dfferent and I suspect there will be a difference in length anyway.
You already have an EFI fuel system in place and the stock EFI pump should cope.
The other issue is wiring but it's reasonably straight forward.
TheStitt
Forums Junkie

Membership Secretary

June 2002

Re: MX-62 Cressida Engine Conversion Tue, 28 June 2005 05:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it was a good conversion for my early crown I was really happy with the benifits over a 4M I would say we be similar. 100kw is nice at the wheels!!!
Ulfrikr
Newcomer

June 2005
Re: MX-62 Cressida Engine Conversion Wed, 29 June 2005 06:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks very much for the advice and assistance. I've taken a look at the Supra TRSM website, and it's got all the wiring information one could ask for. I'll let you all know how things go and what my friend decides to do.

Cheers
GreyWolfe
Regular

January 2004

Re: MX-62 Cressida Engine Conversion Fri, 01 July 2005 09:35 Go to previous message
I'll be very interested in this, since i have the same car and am looking at doing the same thing
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:7MGTE Manual Swap into MZ20 Please Help
Next Topic:microtech mt-8 wiring diagram
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 09:10:52 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0043838024139404 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.