Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

IRS Conversions Sun, 26 June 2005 09:17 Go to next message
Theres been a lot of talk lately about IRS conversions. So I want to know peoples thoughts on why these are an advantage in the three main forms of motorsport spoken about on these forums. Drift, drag and circuit.
I also want to know which IRS setup is preferred in the above forms of motorsport. The conventional IRS or the newer control-blade type setup as found in Jags and the new Coons.

Has anyone got the link to the Jap IRS kit that was available a while ago?
  Send a private message to this user    
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: IRS Conversions Sun, 26 June 2005 09:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
IRS is superior when you have bumps, as one side doesn't affect the other side so much, and has less unsprung weight.
also you can set up camber/castor on the rear wheels better than a live axle.
then again, a de-dion(sp?) rear can also be set up with angles, and has in-between unsprung mass.

for drag, maybe live axle is better as there is less suspension angle change with the forces involved.. for circuit.... maybe IRS is better IF you can set up the camber-curve to suit the car..

for drift... who cares, they are not gripping with the rear anyway Razz it's all about making the rear slip....
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: IRS Conversions Sun, 26 June 2005 09:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oldcorollas wrote on Sun, 26 June 2005 19:25

for drag, maybe live axle is better as there is less suspension angle change with the forces involved..

What do you mean less angle change? Do you mean the camber of the wheels not changing with the live angle?
Quote:

for drift... who cares, they are not gripping with the rear anyway Razz it's all about making the rear slip....

One of the main reasons I started this thread Confused
Purple_Beasty
Regular

May 2002
Re: IRS Conversions Sun, 26 June 2005 10:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
For drift you NEED grip or no smoke, simple as that.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: IRS Conversions Sun, 26 June 2005 22:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This is what I was after:

http://www.hotstaff-power.co.jp/ww6.jpg
http://www.hotstaff-power.co.jp/ww13.jpg

[Updated on: Sun, 26 June 2005 22:59]

bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: IRS Conversions Sun, 26 June 2005 23:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It looks nice, but don't like some of the construction in the arms. The joints aren't the best design.

I also wonder why a well setup 'proper IRS' (as opposed to the MA61/Crumpledore type) is not better for drags when compared to a live axle ?
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: IRS Conversions Mon, 27 June 2005 00:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bbaacchhyy wrote on Mon, 27 June 2005 09:28

I also wonder why a well setup 'proper IRS' (as opposed to the MA61/Crumpledore type) is not better for drags when compared to a live axle ?

Exactly. I would think that good IRS setup would achieve the same as a live axle in the drag situations. I can understand other IRS setups under performing due to the camber of the wheels changing.
Purple_Beasty
Regular

May 2002
Re: IRS Conversions Mon, 27 June 2005 00:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It is very hard to eliminate all camber change in an IRS setup, and even minor changes gets magnified when you are running serious sized wheels. Basically live axle has a lot more consistency, more practical knowledge on getting it to work is around is easier to setup.

Callum
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: IRS Conversions Mon, 27 June 2005 00:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Purple_Beasty wrote on Mon, 27 June 2005 10:23

It is very hard to eliminate all camber change in an IRS setup, and even minor changes gets magnified when you are running serious sized wheels.

Agreed, the exact reason I have been talking about the two different IRS setups. The Jag setup that is being used in the newer Fords is spot on.
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: IRS Conversions Mon, 27 June 2005 02:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's all about the camber change as the wheel goes thru its travel. Setting up a double wishbone IRS takes time - there are quite a few 8-9 second IRS JZA80s in the USA. That said, there are plenty of very quick Datsun 1600s/240Z out there - I suppose after 30 years of development, it's possible to set up even a trailing arm IRS to be great.

I suspect that the theoretical/academic limitations of each setup only come into play in the upper echelons of motorsport. I remember reading that F1 cars have a total of 12-13mm suspension travel - hard to belive that such limited suspension travel could have a profound effect on a car's corner speed (given that there are so many other factors at play)!
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: IRS Conversions Mon, 27 June 2005 02:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Some good points. Do the JZA80s have a double wishbone setup?
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: IRS Conversions Mon, 27 June 2005 02:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool1 wrote on Mon, 27 June 2005 10:41

Some good points. Do the JZA80s have a double wishbone setup?

Yep.
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: IRS Conversions Mon, 27 June 2005 03:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
are there any decent pics/drawings of the control blade? i find write-ups but cannot visualise the thing.
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: IRS Conversions Mon, 27 June 2005 03:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thechuckster wrote on Mon, 27 June 2005 12:34

are there any decent pics/drawings of the control blade? i find write-ups but cannot visualise the thing.

It is a messy thing to look at. Not pretty at all. Most of the componentry is pressed steel to reduce the cost.

The new Holden one is pretty schmick as well, but looks equally as ugly. It will be an absolute bastard to chnage a centre !!!
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: IRS Conversions Mon, 27 June 2005 03:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Easy, just make sure it's strong enough and works well enough to not warrant replacing Razz As for looking pretty, so long as it works Nod
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: IRS Conversions Mon, 27 June 2005 03:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So does the double wishbone setup in the JZA80s and the like achieve the same as the control blade setup, or is there still the camber issues?
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: IRS Conversions Mon, 27 June 2005 03:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Don't forget, the setups like Control Blade and the VE Crumpledore setup are tuned for road car use, and as a result still have a fair bit of compliance in them so they are "nice riding".

They are still on the conservative side, but have pretty good control.
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: IRS Conversions Mon, 27 June 2005 03:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
anyone got pictures with detail of the hub area?
http://www.ford.com.au/global/img/range/focus/dd_controlblade.jpg
(ford focus control blade)
http://www.ford.com.au/global/img/range/territory/dd_controlblade.jpg
(territory)
for confusing, try the jaguar XJ rear end (one side only)
http://www.jaguar.co.uk/uk/en/vehicles/xj/performa nce/performance_29CBECFD-4BAA-4739-9F13-2341A1D8F5 EE_462x669.jpg

[Updated on: Mon, 27 June 2005 04:04]

RobertoX
Regular

May 2002
Re: IRS Conversions Tue, 28 June 2005 00:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thechuckster wrote on Mon, 27 June 2005 13:45

http://www.jaguar.co.uk/uk/en/vehicles/xj/performa nce/performance_29CBECFD-4BAA-4739-9F13-2341A1D8F5 EE_462x669.jpg

looks like a front end to me, but cool idea none the less- looks like a double wish bone with the top wishbone inboard mount half way up the shock tower. (bit hard to see though)
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: IRS Conversions Tue, 28 June 2005 00:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RobertoX wrote on Tue, 28 June 2005 09:30

thechuckster wrote on Mon, 27 June 2005 13:45

looks like a front end to me, but cool idea none the less- looks like a double wish bone with the top wishbone inboard mount half way up the shock tower. (bit hard to see though)

Nothing new there. It is a SALA type setup that Honda have used a lot, and is a modification of the McPherson strut, but combines some of the great advantages of double wishbone setup.
RobertoX
Regular

May 2002
Re: IRS Conversions Tue, 28 June 2005 21:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah, looks pretty cool Smile

Any idea how effective it is in practice? Any advantages over double wishbone setup? or is it more of a compromise?
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: IRS Conversions Tue, 28 June 2005 22:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have a Jag rear end comming very shortly so stay tuned for pictures Very Happy
The Jag rear end is looking very promising! Its very simple which requires little space under the car, but its very effective.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: IRS Conversions Wed, 29 June 2005 10:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Squirt Shocked

http://www.bryanf.com/510/rsusp.htm

[Updated on: Wed, 29 June 2005 10:37]

3t-RA40
Regular

May 2002
Re: IRS Conversions Wed, 29 June 2005 13:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just added thread on RT142 IRS conversion that I done.
http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=73372&start=0&rid=148&S=a8168e887346 9fe05389e42e736c5494

[Updated on: Wed, 29 June 2005 13:51]

Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: IRS Conversions Thu, 30 June 2005 08:49 Go to previous message
This is what followed me home today:

http://members.iinet.net.au/~shanej/Jag%20IRS/P0003867.JPG
http://members.iinet.net.au/~shanej/Jag%20IRS/P0003868.JPG
http://members.iinet.net.au/~shanej/Jag%20IRS/P0003870.JPG

I have no idea what size the Jag diff centers are, but the whole setup is farkin heavy. It would need to go on a series diet to be fitted to any smaller car Confused

A few more pictures here: http://members.iinet.net.au/~shanej/Jag%20IRS/

[Updated on: Thu, 30 June 2005 08:57]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:1jz into 180zx conversion
Next Topic:What motor should I put in an RA23 Celica
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 15:22:52 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0063271522521973 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.