Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 18rgu timing chain and tentioner help

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
brissyra28
Newcomer

July 2004
18rgu timing chain and tentioner help Fri, 23 July 2004 04:43 Go to next message
hey... i got a 18rgu and just had the head done and all the shims done.. and i still got a lot of overhead noise..yes there is oil in it,, so im guessing the timing chain is loose..i was told there were 3 different types of tensioners for the timing chain.. WHY??? whats the difference.. a little helpful hint pls.. cheers.
  Send a private message to this user    
people100
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: 18rgu timing chain and tentioner help Fri, 23 July 2004 09:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It could be either your chain is stretch, your guides are worn or your tensioner isnt working. Lots of $$$ no matter what it is.
Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: 18rgu timing chain and tentioner help Fri, 23 July 2004 11:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fi u have the mechanial tensioner {not oil pressure driven}, then make sure its tight
shifter
Newcomer

June 2005

Re: 18rgu timing chain and tentioner help Wed, 29 June 2005 07:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Newbie, but I figure this is the appropriate thread for my issue.

Have a '78 Celica RA28 Liftback with a Yamaha 18RG-U head on an 18RC block. The timing chain tensioner is a screw-in affair and the housing cracked and later became two parts of the same.

A mate up here in Bundy machined up a housing after about four tries and it's working ok, so far, but I'd like to locate and purchase new or aftermarket parts, preferably of competition strength.

Can anyone suggest an outlet in Brisbane as we're driving down for a week in August. Or failing this, somewhere else.

Cheers
blackRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 18rgu timing chain and tentioner help Wed, 29 June 2005 08:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shifter,
sorry mate but these twincam motors/heads ceased production around the 1983ish mark, and were never released in any locally-delivered cars, in either 70's or 80's.
So unfortunatley there are very few stockists of parts for twincam heads(18RG/2TG).. especially items like housings/timing gear..

Im not sure about Brisbane at all but ive not heard of many aftermarket parts out for the 18RG.

better off looking for a good 2nd hand item, theres usually plenty of 18RGs being sold/parted out.

www.swmotorsport.com.au have a few parts for older-style motors, could try them..

[Updated on: Wed, 29 June 2005 08:19]

Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: 18rgu timing chain and tentioner help Wed, 29 June 2005 14:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what exactly are you after, i have bits
shifter
Newcomer

June 2005

Re: 18rgu timing chain and tentioner help Wed, 29 June 2005 23:25 Go to previous message
@ BlackRA28, That'd be right eh! Rolling Eyes Well thanks for your reply fellas.

@ Mr DOHC, I'm after the housing itself or the whole tensioner assembly. I've seen three different tensioner locations so far in wreckers yards. This tensioner is located above the distributor and slightly rearward. I can supply images if there's any confusion.

Here's a bit of recent history. Very Happy

We've actually acquired this car as a freebie, my daughter's Kiwi ex-boyfriend can't afford to ship it over to his homeland. I figure it's justice as she had the brains to finally leave the abusive idiot, but she's in NZ 'cause he stole her away after having too many traffic fines in Oz.

Managed to tune the damn thing, once I found some info on those twin Mikunis and advanced the timing a tad. It's had a cam grind as well and won't idle under 1100rpm, but it goes like the clappers of hell.

Didn't handle too well when we first drove it as two tyres were sufferng belt separation and he drove it up from Brissie like this. He put a centre console in to locate his cassette player, but the handbrake was in the way of the rear tray, so what'd he do? Wink Why he reefs the handle sideways to clear it and promptly tears the handle housing for about 30mm. Naturally the unit wasn't functioning, so I welded a brace on and it's fine now. Cool

[Updated on: Wed, 29 June 2005 23:39]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:1979-81 celica supra diff.
Next Topic:microtech ecu
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 09:56:30 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0048339366912842 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.