Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Where to get boost solenoids?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
ndgcpr
Forums Junkie

April 2005
Where to get boost solenoids? Wed, 29 June 2005 04:17 Go to next message
hey everyone

I am wanting to purchase a solenoid or equivalent. what i am interested in doing is getting say a dual stage boost controller. and wiring a solenoid to the high/low switch. that solenoid wiil then control (open or close) to the BOV. so on low boost i will have no BOV but on high boost i will. it is so i can keep the full sleeper effect on the car. then if i wanna punch it i can switch to high boost and have a loud ATMO BOV

Just an idea
  Send a private message to this user    
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Where to get boost solenoids? Wed, 29 June 2005 04:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Very strange idea Rolling Eyes I can see what you want to achieve but it will be a litle more difficult than what you explained.

Now I am assuming you have your high/low boost already sorted out and with this other solenoid you only wish to have it control your BOV.

BIG problem is that your BOV requires both boost and vaccuum to function! If you fit a solenoid in the manner you are describing which will block off your line to the BOV on low boost it will be blocking both vaccuum and boost which means that there will be no boost to hold the BOV closed while your engine is on boost (with me?) i.e. you BOV will be forced open on boost and leak as it will only have the spring tension to hold it closed.

When you let off the throttle you will have no vaccuum to assist the opening of the BOV which is going to restrict (probably not keep completely closed though) its opening and hence the loud venting.

A slightly more elaborate setup could achieve the outcome you desire, but why f$%ken bother? If you are trying to make a sleeper out of that yellow car in your avatar you are pushing shit up hill, it doesn't exactly look like sleeper by any stretch of the imagination Wink .

EDIT: oh yeah, if your BOV does not open when you back off the throttle after being on boost you will get compressor surge, which is that gay flutter sound, so you will only get rid of one noise and replace it with another (both indicating you have a turbo)

[Updated on: Wed, 29 June 2005 04:55]

Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Where to get boost solenoids? Wed, 29 June 2005 05:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
why wouldn't you just run a plumb back quiet all the time ultimate sleeper appeal Freak
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Where to get boost solenoids? Wed, 29 June 2005 05:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You will quickly learn that it will sound much cooler to have a plumb-back for the normal operation, and bypass it for high-boost. The 1G turbos scream like a bitch and have the most awesome noise when you snap the throttle shut Laughing
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Where to get boost solenoids? Wed, 29 June 2005 05:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

why wouldn't you just run a plumb back quiet all the time ultimate sleeper app

Myth #1 Plumb-back BOV are quiet.

WRONG: my plumback is just as loud as the vent to atmosphere one it replaced.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Where to get boost solenoids? Wed, 29 June 2005 05:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well frequenting a few drift day i know of a couple cars that have plumb backs and haven't heard any noise from them unlike the constant baffing and flaffing from the others.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Where to get boost solenoids? Wed, 29 June 2005 05:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ke382TG wrote on Wed, 29 June 2005 13:04

Quote:

why wouldn't you just run a plumb back quiet all the time ultimate sleeper app

Myth #1 Plumb-back BOV are quiet.

WRONG: my plumback is just as loud as the vent to atmosphere one it replaced.

Compared to some 1G turbos, it's going to be quieter Razz
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: Where to get boost solenoids? Wed, 29 June 2005 05:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justcallmefrank wrote on Wed, 29 June 2005 15:04

You will quickly learn that it will sound much cooler to have a plumb-back for the normal operation, and bypass it for high-boost. The 1G turbos scream like a bitch and have the most awesome noise when you snap the throttle shut Laughing

I second that...

not having a BOV at all means I get all of that 1G sound mmmmm Cool
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Where to get boost solenoids? Wed, 29 June 2005 05:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

well frequenting a few drift day i know of a couple cars that have plumb backs and haven't heard any noise from them unlike the constant baffing and flaffing from the others.

The noise generated from a plumb-back BOV is a function of design of the inlet tract through which the noise is trying to escape. A restrictive factory setup will be very quiet, through to an exposed pod being very loud. Many different setups will sound different too.

Quote:

i know of a couple cars that have plumb backs and haven't heard any noise from them

Laughing Laughing Over the screaching of tires and redlining engines how could you hear it Laughing

Quote:

baffing and flaffing

Rolling Eyes most of the pissfarting carry on noise I notice is from the AFM sensed cars that vent to atmo and then get some backfiring/missing and carry on while they run rich.

To sum up this thread, who f$%ken cares about the noise, it varies from car to car, engine to engine. The original idea that started this thread was gay, nuff said Very Happy
ndgcpr
Forums Junkie

April 2005
Re: Where to get boost solenoids? Wed, 29 June 2005 05:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah i was just looking at options. i know what you mean ke382TG, i guess i just didn't fully understand how it operates. the 1G never came with a BOV so i guess it lives with out one. and i have driven a Z20 the made a lot of pshh without a BOV. it was just a little idea i was throwing around. i thought it would be cool to flick a switch and have a totaly different sounding car.

Oh well. i found a spare solinoid too. the BOV is a custom made one and i don't think it can plumb back
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Where to get boost solenoids? Wed, 29 June 2005 06:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
do do what you are talking about, you would not have to use a PWM capable solenoid as used in a boost controller - you would only need a simple on/off solenoid with a PWM resolution of 1. (ie - two positions: open or closed).

THis makes it much cheaper, and controllable with a simple switch.

Now - this is getting moved to tech & Conversions.
ndgcpr
Forums Junkie

April 2005
Re: Where to get boost solenoids? Wed, 29 June 2005 07:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes i stole the solenoid off the heater thing. it is just a simple on off one. but it won't really work anyway so it probably should have just been deleted
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: Where to get boost solenoids? Wed, 29 June 2005 07:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
why dont u get one of the "good bovs"and put a heavy spring in it so it wont go off until say 12psi? thats how my mates works no noise below 12psi. well very little
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Where to get boost solenoids? Wed, 29 June 2005 22:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

why dont u get one of the "good bovs"and put a heavy spring in it so it wont go off until say 12psi

Laughing Laughing Rolling Eyes

OK ndgcpr if you really want to do this (or if anyone else wants to this is how you would set it up so that it actually would work.

Instead of having a single line (hose) going from your manifold to the BOV you simply have that line branch into two with a "Y" connection and then rejoin to form a single line again with another "Y" connection just before the BOV. Now in the section that now has two lines fit a small one way check valve to one line so that flow (boost) can pass through to the BOV. On the other dual section of line you have made fit your simple open/close solenoid.

Now the system will work because when the solenoid is closed the BOV will be able to have positive pressure on both sides of the BOV valve when the car is under boost as it normally would (this is passing through the check valve) but when you back off the check valve will close and keep the spring loaded side of the BOV under positive pressure and hence keep the BOV closed as much as possible (the back pressure created from the throttle closing and turbo spooling will be forcing against the spring tension and positive pressure on the other side of the BOV valve).

When you switch the solenoid to open the BOV will resume normal function and the check valve will not play any part in it's operation.

That is how to set it up but I still wouldn't bother Wink

If I have not explained something clearly enough let me know.

EDIT: there is a better but more complicated method of doing this as well, but it needs two solenoids or a three barb solenoid to work.

[Updated on: Wed, 29 June 2005 23:21]

Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Where to get boost solenoids? Thu, 30 June 2005 05:33 Go to previous message
waste of time!

Turbos cars make turbo car noises. It is still a lot quieter than a v8 or a rotary so I would be happy Smile
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:ENGINE CONVERSION ???
Next Topic:Gear oils - help!
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 05:46:47 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0062351226806641 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.