Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » Crown Progress...(1st dyno session update)

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
MS-75
Regular

June 2002
icon13.gif  Crown Progress...(1st dyno session update) Wed, 01 June 2005 17:12 Go to next message
Hi lads,

Here are some more progress shots of the big blue whale as it nears a return to the dyno and racetrack. Dyno is planned for friday june 10 and races at AIR on june 19th.

Here's the new plenum set-up

http://img157.echo.cx/img157/4971/plenum25yo.jpg

Turbo piping.

http://img156.echo.cx/img156/6035/blower4tp.jpg

Cooling header tank
http://img9.echo.cx/img9/4764/overflow5gc.jpg

100 series cruiser stub manifold (much much shorter runners) and second set of injectors. (will be running GTRX12)

http://img157.echo.cx/img157/5516/doubleinj7tm.jpg

80 series manifold compared to new 100 series manifold.

http://img9.echo.cx/img9/4584/manifoldssml0wq.jpg

BFG drag radials.(275/60/15)

http://img9.echo.cx/img9/2008/bfg6kj.jpg

I'm also going to experiment with toulene in the fuel-around 30% is the plan.

http://img9.echo.cx/img9/5586/onjacks3du.jpg
http://img157.echo.cx/img157/4564/crownfront6iq.jpg

Judgement day approaches.........!!!!=-) I can hardly wait!

And yes-my affairs are in order...........

Sean
Adelaide

[Updated on: Tue, 28 June 2005 21:23]

Send a private message to this user    
ra_28
Regular

April 2004
Re: Crown Progress... Wed, 01 June 2005 23:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That looks tuff. You must be going to have some serious heat shields around your dump pipe. What sort of HP and Torque are you looking at?

Alex
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Crown Progress... Wed, 01 June 2005 23:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Looking great! Can't wait to see how it performs at the track.
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Crown Progress... Thu, 02 June 2005 00:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The inlet manifold/plenum looks great!

What sort of intercooler is that you are using?
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Crown Progress... Thu, 02 June 2005 00:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Looking good Sean. We will have to wait and see if the a340e crown returns hey? Very Happy

*marks June 19th off on calender as day to definitely check toymods*
h3ff44
Forums Junkie

February 2005
Re: Crown Progress... Thu, 02 June 2005 05:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats awesome... i wana c that unleash its horses on the world!!!!
WantaTurbo
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Crown Progress... Thu, 02 June 2005 05:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That looks sweet!! Thats a big turbo too Shocked what kinda engine is it running ?
boris
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
On probation

January 2003
Re: Crown Progress... Thu, 02 June 2005 06:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pretty sure its a 1fz-fe.. somebody correct me if i'm wrong!
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Crown Progress... Thu, 02 June 2005 06:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WantaTurbo wrote on Thu, 02 June 2005 15:52

what kinda engine is it running ?

This question seems to get asked in all of Sean's threads. Rolling Eyes

Yes it's a 1FZ. The reference to the 80 series/100 series manifold should have been a giveaway.
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Crown Progress... Thu, 02 June 2005 06:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I admit it, I didn't know what a 1fz was before I heard about Sean's car Embarassed
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Crown Progress... Thu, 02 June 2005 07:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
me either.. but it wasn't hare to work out. 4.5 litre straight 6. (just has a big fuckoff turbo strapped to it).

Make sure someone (preferably multiple someones) video your drag runs - I'm very keen to see the torque of this thing in action
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Crown Progress... Thu, 02 June 2005 11:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BTW love the hole in the bonnet for the turbo Sean.
Is the big hole for the inlet manifold or what? Do you have a scoop?
nitephyre
Regular

July 2003
Re: Crown Progress... Thu, 02 June 2005 11:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
good luck man, and looking schmick. I love your car!
Cplus
Occasional Poster

October 2004
Re: Crown Progress... Thu, 02 June 2005 18:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skip wrote on Thu, 02 June 2005 10:16

give you a few hints.

Sean "made" the inlet manifold himself,

he made the exhaust manifold in the garage too.

he made his own four link rear end,

he made his own bellhousing adpator,

howver he didn't make the blowoff valve - his best man did,

But he did wire up and do 95% of the tuning of the Autronic himself.

the list goes on.

I'll let you decide if you think the intercooler is in the list too Very Happy

Cheers,

C+
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Crown Progress... Thu, 02 June 2005 23:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cplus wrote on Fri, 03 June 2005 02:59

Skip wrote on Thu, 02 June 2005 10:16

give you a few hints.

Sean "made" the inlet manifold himself,

he made the exhaust manifold in the garage too.

he made his own four link rear end,

he made his own bellhousing adpator,

howver he didn't make the blowoff valve - his best man did,

But he did wire up and do 95% of the tuning of the Autronic himself.

the list goes on.

I'll let you decide if you think the intercooler is in the list too Very Happy

Cheers,

C+

Nope im sorry I don't know.

I want to know what sort of core it is and what size, im sure sean didnt extrude the core himself Rolling Eyes
lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Crown Progress... Fri, 03 June 2005 02:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm sure sean will tell you but I'm pretty sure it's a garret core from some big arse truck. Obviously truck intercoolers are shithouse and should never be used if you want a powerful turbo car.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Crown Progress... Fri, 03 June 2005 03:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Laughing

Of course it works in Sean's case because he has a truck engine. Razz Laughing
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Crown Progress... Fri, 03 June 2005 03:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LOL!

Nice work Sean. Kick ass at AIR.
Cplus
Occasional Poster

October 2004
Re: Crown Progress... Fri, 03 June 2005 09:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skip wrote on Fri, 03 June 2005 09:42

Nope im sorry I don't know.

I want to know what sort of core it is and what size, im sure sean didnt extrude the core himself Rolling Eyes

Sorry, wasn't trying to be a smart ass.

Lumpy is spot on, it's an ex truck core - large bore tube and fin.

Approx 100mm thick and around 700mm wide and 400mm deep. not as big as you might expect - considering what other 700odd hp cars have. Custom end tanks and 3in inlet and outlet.

Knowing Seano, it's either a Garret or Valeo make core.

Cheers,

C+

[Updated on: Fri, 03 June 2005 09:43]

MS-75
Regular

June 2002
Re: Crown Progress... Sun, 05 June 2005 15:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Clivey, where were you when you left the message the other day? Were those F1's I could hear? Where, when, what, how?
Yep-its a garrett core-possibly the best type I've ever seen actually. It has largeish size passes, is quite heavy (so is a great heat sink) with hardcore internal finning. On the dyno the inlet tank can be uncomfortable to touch whilst the outlet is quite cool. I'll try and get some acutal measurents on friday though.

This time I'm taking great care with pipework layout, wiring accessability and easy monitoring of eng parameters whilst being dynoed.

I've pissed off the oil pressure switch light for a mechanical pressure guage, will be fitting an electrical eng temp guage and coolant system pressure gauge.

I've also set up a special Pressure Regulator for the feed to the top port of the gates to allow me to dial up a min of 7.5lbs boost right up as far as I want to go. It should be far superior to the common restrictor and bleed method, and the use of two gates should virtually eliminate boost spikes.

As far as HP goes-I'm not really sure to be honest. 281rwkw was the max last time on 14psi, maxed out GTR injectors, pump fuel and Trust TDO7 (60-61mm comp wheel).

This time it has-2X the injector flow (12 injectors-6GTR440s, 6 Denso 550s) so boost won't be limited, a GT42 turbo (66mm comp, MUCH bigger turbine and housing), completely different fabricated plenum and a much better cooling system-not to mention a homebrew high octane fuel load.

All I can say really is that I'm expecting more than last time..

Take it easy guys
Sean

Cplus
Occasional Poster

October 2004
Re: Crown Progress... Sun, 05 June 2005 23:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://img198.echo.cx/img198/3871/dsc34275fa.jpg

Test Day @ Silverstone.

8 of 10 teams running. A mate of mine over here and I were having slow weeks at work so we took the day off on Thrusday and went for a look.

Awesome Day.

[Updated on: Sun, 05 June 2005 23:13]

MS-75
Regular

June 2002
Re: Crown Progress... Sun, 05 June 2005 23:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
YOU ARE TEH SUCK
Cplus
Occasional Poster

October 2004
Re: Crown Progress... Mon, 06 June 2005 08:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Laughing

I'm off to Budapest next month and Spa in September too Very Happy
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Crown Progress... Mon, 06 June 2005 16:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
June 19th eh?
Might have to make a trip down to AIR.
Gotta see this insane vehicle in the flesh.
Special Ed
Regular

November 2003
Re: Crown Progress... Sun, 12 June 2005 12:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So how did the Dyno go ?
MS-75
Regular

June 2002
Re: Crown Progress... Mon, 13 June 2005 10:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed, I ended up having to pull the pin for last friday-my injectors hadn't arrived (denso 550's to go along with the 440's) and I hadn't got the exhaust finished (main or w/gates). To boot my drum of toluene wasn't in yet either.

I got the exhaust 90% done over the weekend so it's prettymuch there.

I've re-scheduled to friday 17th for dyno, and july 3rd for the races.

With the extra 2 weeks time for tinkering it will all be shmicko and should be a straightforward session.

Take it easy dude,
Sean
MS-75
Regular

June 2002
Re: Crown Progress... Mon, 13 June 2005 14:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Here are some more progress pics.

Hot-side. Signal lines to the wastegates complete and shielded.

http://img254.echo.cx/img254/9746/turbosmall1uz.jpg
http://img254.echo.cx/img254/853/turbosmall13im.jpg

Manual boost control system.

http://img254.echo.cx/img254/6075/regsmall6qb.jpg

Overall engine bay

http://img254.echo.cx/img254/4870/engsmall9eb.jpg

Fuel cell (8 gallon)

http://img254.echo.cx/img254/7716/tank3lh.jpg

The Infamous Toluene Drum (Many thanks Caelum)

http://img254.echo.cx/img254/6783/drum5nx.jpg

All stomping along nicely now. Low speed testing this weekend.

Sean =-)

[Updated on: Mon, 13 June 2005 14:08]

MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Crown Progress... Mon, 13 June 2005 14:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sean, question:

is there any reason in particular why you run two wastegates instead of just one larger one?

The reason I am asking is that I am going a large single turbo setup in the near future and I am sussing out all posibilites of setups
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Crown Progress... Mon, 13 June 2005 22:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Looks awesome Sean. I wish I could weld like that!
MS-75
Regular

June 2002
Re: Crown Progress... Tue, 14 June 2005 00:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It’s a bit of a story actually.

Initially when I built the manifold it was for a 1.00 T4 split-pulse turbine housing. I had seen on a few cars that the wastegate was only hooked into 1 of the two halves of the split-pulse manifold, and so tried it. The system worked fine. I then changed to the TRUST TD07 turbo, which had a dual A/R turbine housing-ie the rear split-pulse half of the housing was quite small, and the front quite big. I’m not certain, but I think this gives the unit a wider response range. Anyway, when it was dynoed, only venting the smaller of the two halves of the turbine housing wasn’t enough to control boost. We even pulled the spring out of the gate altogether and it was still boosting uncontrollably.

The options were to either tap into the front runners and join them to the gate, or put a second gate in. My mate had a spare Garrett 32 so I just put that on as it was actually easier. On the dyno next session the twin gates gave rock solid control-ie almost nil spikes and almost flat line boost level. As I was using an old gate and a home made one, I figured that new gates were in order, and two TIAL 38s were cheaper than one TIAL 46mm gate.

Also, having cause to think a fair bit about boost control, it became clear that the bigger the gate area and the bigger the actuator area the faster the response of the system would be-hence minimising boost spiking. (I know electronic controllers can eliminate spikes as well, but they are actuallymasking the slow response of bleed and restrictor type setups) I figured that by sticking with two gates and using a particular type of manual press. regulator that I could have fully adjustable boost (in sensitivity of 0.1 psi) at my fingertips in the engine bay when dyno tuning. (as opposed to using the boost control in the autronic which isn’t lightning fast to diddle with.)

(Add to that I am now also the SA distributor of TIAL Wastegates and BOV’s……)

And-because I can……….(looks trick)

However, at the end of the day it isn’t a need to do thing-although for less $ you get better fine boost control than with one big gate.

Oh-and Chris-I am responsible for approximately 0% of the welds visible……..
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Crown Progress... Tue, 14 June 2005 00:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks for that sean Very Happy
1JZ.747
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Crown Progress... Tue, 14 June 2005 01:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the 19th of june just cant come fast enough.
MS-75
Regular

June 2002
Re: Crown Progress... Fri, 24 June 2005 13:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Final engine set-up before dyno on tuesday arvo. (a bit delayed due to work and stuff-but all ready now.)

http://img297.echo.cx/img297/2531/engfinalsml25qu.jpg
http://img297.echo.cx/img297/6843/engfinalsml4cx.jpg

And also ready for tuesday-

http://img297.echo.cx/img297/4228/martinisml0ev.jpg

Fingers crossed........

Races on july 3 at AIR (weather permitting of course) Smile
smt_007
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Crown Progress... Fri, 24 June 2005 13:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Is that stock?, hehe j.k, thats some very impresive fabrication, keep up the good work Cool.
ZZT231
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: Crown Progress... Fri, 24 June 2005 13:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Looks like young children, the eldly and birds have to stay away from the front with that engine idling Cool

Great work and looks great. Hopefully it should fly...

Cheers.
MS-75
Regular

June 2002
Re: Crown Progress...(1st dyno session update) Tue, 28 June 2005 23:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Crown was strapped down at Blackwood dyno yesterday for it's first session with the new plenum, wastegates and turbo-and all went swimmingly.

The two gates gave boost so stable that the boost line was ruler flat (nil spikes) with the adjustability in the order of 0.1-0.2 psi, and the cooling circuit improved the engine temp stability so much that during the session the coolant temp didn't go over 94degrees (despite being flogged with up to 20 power runs)

The big turbo has also meant it hits the dyno a little softer down low so wheelspin wasn't a problem.

The 12 injectors performed flawlessly, with injection time at idle now only 0.8msecs.

The tank was filled with 70% BP premium and 30%Toluene. We didn't get to putting the martinin race fuel in as was getting a bit late, and after 2 hours in the dyno cell of power runs through a 4 inch side-pipe and screamer pipes on the two wastegates I'd had enough (CO poisoning, deaf, hot etc-yes I am soft)

Anyway, things were looking promising when it settled in for a 247kw run on about 8psi, and it went up from there.

We only ended up at the same boost I ran last time with the old set-up (last time 14psi gave 281rwkw), but it gave a grand total of-

321rwkw@14psi, just on 5000rpm.....Tractive effort was over 10,500N

The two final runs of 321 and 320 were the last two for the session meaning it was well and truly hot by then, so the figure is a solid repeatable number, not a cold start power run to inflate the number.

So, Big turbo and new plenum, along with 2 degrees extra timing netted a 40rwkw increase on the same boost level-awesome.

Yet to come will be more timing (still very conservative as with the sidepipe and screamers it's impossible to hear detonation) when I have a full twin 3 inch exhaust on and a microphone on the block so I can hear any hint of a rattle.

Also keep in mund it's still running stock cams and ports (slightly cleaned up though).

I'll put up the various graphs tonight when I get home.

Considering it ran 125mph with 281rwkw last time out, the 40 rwkw increase should blow that out of the water......
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Crown Progress...(1st dyno session update) Tue, 28 June 2005 23:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how much boost are you planning on running?

or is that it? Confused
MS-75
Regular

June 2002
Re: Crown Progress...(1st dyno session update) Tue, 28 June 2005 23:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
over 20 with the racing fuel.
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Crown Progress...(1st dyno session update) Tue, 28 June 2005 23:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sweet!
any estimation on power?
1JZ.747
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Crown Progress...(1st dyno session update) Tue, 28 June 2005 23:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
noooice

cant wait for it to hit the black top. Smile
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Crown Progress...(1st dyno session update) Wed, 29 June 2005 04:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nice work Sean. Got to be happy with a 14% increase at the same boost level.

How does the new setup suit the current stall converter. Is it noticably laggier or not? Can't wait to hear about the next outing at AIR Very Happy
WantaTurbo
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Crown Progress...(1st dyno session update) Wed, 29 June 2005 04:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Awesome results mate especially at only 5000rpm Surprised
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Crown Progress...(1st dyno session update) Wed, 29 June 2005 04:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah but you gotta remember this is a 4.5L six not a little 4 banger so it ain't gonna be pushing too many revs.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Crown Progress...(1st dyno session update) Wed, 29 June 2005 04:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Corona RT142 wrote on Wed, 29 June 2005 12:44

yeah but you gotta remember this is a 4.5L six not a little 4 banger so it ain't gonna be pushing too many revs.

It's not so much its a problem it being that big and revving, it's more the fact the cams are optimised for stump pulling low-down grunt.
MS-75
Regular

June 2002
Re: Crown Progress...(1st dyno session update) Wed, 29 June 2005 04:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep-with an engine this size and a big turbo you don't need to rev it-also remember that this has cams that cause max torque at 3600 so you can to large caravans and boats (they are still the stock Landcruiser ones). The redline is only 6000 anyway(thats where the numbers on a Landcruiser tacho go red anyway-so I used that) The cams are working beautifully though, so they seem pretty spot on for how I'm trying to set it up.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Crown Progress...(1st dyno session update) Wed, 29 June 2005 04:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well size does some into. Larger capacity engines with only six cylinder with have to have a longer stroke which means that it makes it a lot harder to rev them hard, also just the mass of larger pitons rods etc means that to rev high it puts a lot more strain on parts.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Crown Progress...(1st dyno session update) Wed, 29 June 2005 05:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tend to have a longer stroke yes, but not always (ala TVR).
MS-75
Regular

June 2002
Re: Crown Progress...(1st dyno session update) Wed, 29 June 2005 05:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah-stroke on this is 95mm so the magical max piston speed is around 6500rpm.
TheStitt
Forums Junkie

Membership Secretary

June 2002

Re: Crown Progress...(1st dyno session update) Wed, 29 June 2005 08:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tuff crown as I have always said.

looking forward to hearing about its run down the black top
Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: Crown Progress...(1st dyno session update) Thu, 30 June 2005 07:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
they actually have fairly fat rods in them,

just remember sean, my work has 8 spare 1FZFE's if u need one Wink

mmmmmmmmmm, 9 sec 5000kg crown

u gonna come to bris jamboree
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Crown Progress...(1st dyno session update) Thu, 30 June 2005 07:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4.5L engine isn't eligible for sport compact. Not sure if it would be eligible for jamboree as it is still a dohc 6?

It would be great if the crown did run at Jamboree though. Would love to see it in real life and put another face to a name also Smile
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Crown Progress...(1st dyno session update) Sun, 03 July 2005 22:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Where's the update? Razz
MS-75
Regular

June 2002
Re: Crown Progress...(1st dyno session update) Mon, 04 July 2005 02:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep-went out yesterday to AIR. The engine was awesome-stacks of grunt-but I couldn't seem to get any traction.

The first two runs on the Simexes (225/70/15) were like being on an ice-rink as soon as I shifted to second. It was spinning the whole way through second (I was only giving it about 1/3-1/2 throttle in first to get it out of the hole), and no amount of feathering the gas seemed to help. I then figured the new BFG drag radials should go on-but no joy-they were no better!

Initially I figured that I was doing something wrong-ie-tyre perssures etc, but late in the day a couple of blokes came over and mentioned that lots of people were struggling. My guess is that as it's been bloody cold and wet here for the last month that the track had most of the VHT washed off and was also really cold. At one point I saw and Altered Dragster go off in front of me, and he lifted about 5 times as it turned the tyres and jumped left and right for the whole length of the strip. (scary looking stuff indeed).

The annoying part is that with the same tyres on as last time I couldn't get within 1.2 secs of the previous best on those tyres. (Best Simex last time-11.37, this time, 12.5
runs were-

12.57@121 (Simex) Nealy collected 330ft timing marker-pedalled to get straight.
12.52@121(Simex) Spun all through 2nd again.
12.25@121.2(BFG) And again.
15.19@63 (BFG) Felt funny so backed off really early. Later found a massive split in one intercooler hose.
12.06@120.7(BFG) Pedalled it 3 times to straighten it up. I/C hose repaired with gaffa tape and zip ties.
12.85@113(BFG) Spun again, and then heard the hose let go again so backed off.

Note the MPH is a tad lower than last time (122 last time on the simexes), however last time that MPH was with grip for the whole track-this time it ony had grip for 2 out of 3 gears-so the motor is working well.

Wash up is that the engine package is very reliable, that I need to lash out on 2 new silicon 90 degree bends, and that I need a day when there is actually some grip! Overall the day was a screaming success however.

I'll go out again in a few weeks to try and get the power down.

I have a few videos-they are from a camera, but are reasonable and have sound. Does anyone know how I compress them down from 14 to 4-5 meg. They are .avi.

Cheers
Sean

(I'll put some pics up tonight-I can't access Imageshack from work))
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Crown Progress...(1st dyno session update) Mon, 04 July 2005 02:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MS-75 wrote on Mon, 04 July 2005 11:54

Yep-went out yesterday to AIR. The engine was awesome-stacks of grunt-but I couldn't seem to get any traction.

(I'll put some pics up tonight-I can't access Imageshack from work))

Good to hear that it all ran well, albeit without grip.

Can't wait to see some pics, and like you can't access image shack from work.

Gotta be happy in the end though.

Cheers

Michael B
1JZ.747
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Crown Progress...(1st dyno session update) Mon, 04 July 2005 02:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what tyre pressure did you run?

how big were your burnouts?

ie 1st, 2nd off the limiter then foot of brake smoke through the tree?
MS-75
Regular

June 2002
Re: Crown Progress...(1st dyno session update) Mon, 04 July 2005 02:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1,2,3 in the water to about 5000 and then let it out onto the dry dry track. I didn't think there was much smoke(couldn't see), but on the videos it shows different....The announcers made reference to the burnouts a few times. Once I have the line locker in I'll be able to select overdrive and really fry-em. =-)

Pressure was set to 15 at the servo, but I think it may have been high once they were under the car.
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Crown Progress...(1st dyno session update) Mon, 04 July 2005 02:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Unlucky about the ET's Sean. Sounded very promising after the no fuss dyno session.

So will we see a video?
1JZ.747
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Crown Progress...(1st dyno session update) Mon, 04 July 2005 02:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
psi is to high brother.

i ended up going 13psi, bf say 12 psi minimum.

try 13psi, get good smoke, enough that you can see it in the mirrors at least. if you have a crew member with you they shold be able to hear them sucking to the track, like when you drive over tar thats melted on a hot day.

these tyres really need big heat. will have a look at the vidoes when there ready.

i found my tyres were better on my second meeting. i believe they stay GREEN for sime time.

by the sound of it the track wasnt fantastic either.

i know you'll be frustrated a bit mate, but look at it as testing. you have achieved something positive from the time, ie same trap speed with no traction feathering it, thats a good indicator.

i cant remember your minimum boost setting, but if you can wind it back a few pound so you are near your prevoous power, see what that gains, then slowly wind the power back into it.

keep a exercise book with your results and settings and track conditions, that way you will have the info at hand on how to tune the car for different conditions.

i know in QLD i will be able to wind mine up a bit more cause the track temp is usually perfect for quick times at jambo.

unfortunately, the best time is in the afternoon when slick tyres cars run.

anyway, hope some of that helps.

shane. Smile

oh and take a tyre pressure guage with you and check pressures prior to each run. make sure they are the same, so you knwo what psi gives you what gains.

[Updated on: Mon, 04 July 2005 02:53]

Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Crown Progress...(1st dyno session update) Mon, 04 July 2005 03:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the info. Shane. Will be taking that on board Smile
MS-75
Regular

June 2002
Re: Crown Progress...(1st dyno session update) Mon, 04 July 2005 03:04 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Yeah-development continues.

I'm not too unhappy though, the power is there, along with the reliability, it just needs to hook up now.

I was wondering if they would take some heat to cure them for traction.

I suspect that a big part was that the track was lacking grip after the 60ft mark, and that's where this combo really hits hard. As soon as it was on boost at that point the tyres were freaking out and sending me toward the walls(both sets I tried).

The good thing is that there is nothing apart from the cooler hose needed for the next outing-just some concentration on setup/pressures as you mentioned Shane.
Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Crown at AIR Street Meet Videos
Next Topic:*CAUTION* Not a Toyota but a hOt Audi
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 19:32:08 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.012825965881348 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.