Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » FWD 4AGE sucks!!!

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
FWD 4AGE sucks!!! Wed, 29 June 2005 08:40 Go to next message
im sick and tired of this stupid motor. all i want to do is adjust my timing belt tension but its so bloody troublesome. first its so tight to remove the cover bolts, then cover wouldnt come off because various pulleys and belts are in the way, alternator pulley, air cond, pwr steering, crank pulley (?) and maybe more. also cover doesnt come off the top coz bloody engine mount in the way.

now am i the only one who is so sick of this???
  Send a private message to this user    
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: FWD 4AGE sucks!!! Wed, 29 June 2005 09:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you think you have it bad try putting the dizzy back into a aw11 and ligned up correctly. its at the front of the engine bay (the cabin side) and you have to lean over the side of the car you cant see sh*t.
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: FWD 4AGE sucks!!! Wed, 29 June 2005 10:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
man quit your whinging there are much harder cars to work on. besides, you shouldnt need to adjust the cam belt unless it was done incorrectly the first time which would be just stupid.
mk1sc
Regular

March 2004
Re: FWD 4AGE sucks!!! Wed, 29 June 2005 11:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
b1gb3n wrote on Wed, 29 June 2005 18:40

im sick and tired of this stupid motor. all i want to do is adjust my timing belt tension but its so bloody troublesome. first its so tight to remove the cover bolts, then cover wouldnt come off because various pulleys and belts are in the way, alternator pulley, air cond, pwr steering, crank pulley (?) and maybe more. also cover doesnt come off the top coz bloody engine mount in the way.

now am i the only one who is so sick of this???

do 4age have a little cover just infront of the t/belt tensioner bolt on the timing cover?
i know some cars have this gives access to loosen the bolt, let the spring adjust/tightens the belt and you just lock it up. takes only few minute
mk1sc
Regular

March 2004
Re: FWD 4AGE sucks!!! Wed, 29 June 2005 11:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EVOSTi wrote on Wed, 29 June 2005 20:58

man quit your whinging there are much harder cars to work on. besides, you shouldnt need to adjust the cam belt unless it was done incorrectly the first time which would be just stupid.

belts can get worn and stretch when old, im thinking maybe bad enough to jump a teeth. although it should be replaced by then, might be able to get away with it for a while by tightening up before you actually change it
Rolla Boy
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002
Re: FWD 4AGE sucks!!! Wed, 29 June 2005 11:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You should only have to support the engine by putting a jack under the sump, remove the RH mount and remove the two top covers... Not too hard at all...
Henn
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: FWD 4AGE sucks!!! Wed, 29 June 2005 13:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, FWD 4AGE sure sucks... mainly because it's FWD.

OK, calm down, just stirring the pot.

Hen

[Updated on: Wed, 29 June 2005 13:13]

Julz
Regular

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: FWD 4AGE sucks!!! Wed, 29 June 2005 13:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

You should only have to support the engine by putting a jack under the sump,
Shit, I'm not sure I'd be comfortable with that! Won't the jack ding the sump at best, rip through it at worst?
b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: FWD 4AGE sucks!!! Wed, 29 June 2005 14:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
isnt the engine mount below the middle of the 2 cam gears stuck to the engine?? the lower thick one, not the top thin one.
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: FWD 4AGE sucks!!! Wed, 29 June 2005 22:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Shit, I'm not sure I'd be comfortable with that! Won't the jack ding the sump at best, rip through it at worst?

Common sense would tell you to put something like a bit of wood between the jack and the sump to distribute the load more evenly and not damage your sump Rolling Eyes
Starfire
Regular

December 2004
Re: FWD 4AGE sucks!!! Thu, 30 June 2005 00:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you dont need to drop the engine mount to remove the cam cover (you will need to to replace the timing belt however but from what I gather you just want to tighten the tensioner).

The top cover has 5 bolts in it - not the 4 that you have probably removed.

You will need to remove the crank pulley and possibly a belt tensioner or two to get to the remaining covers and tensioner pulley.

Personally I wouldnt bother putting the covers back on after that little operation.

While you have the covers off check the condition of the timing belt and change it if you need to.

A decent trolley jack with some padding on the part that makes contact shouldnt damage your sump.
b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: FWD 4AGE sucks!!! Thu, 30 June 2005 03:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Starfire wrote on Thu, 30 June 2005 10:10

you dont need to drop the engine mount to remove the cam cover (you will need to to replace the timing belt however but from what I gather you just want to tighten the tensioner).

The top cover has 5 bolts in it - not the 4 that you have probably removed.

You will need to remove the crank pulley and possibly a belt tensioner or two to get to the remaining covers and tensioner pulley.

Personally I wouldnt bother putting the covers back on after that little operation.

While you have the covers off check the condition of the timing belt and change it if you need to.

A decent trolley jack with some padding on the part that makes contact shouldnt damage your sump.

the cover im talking about is the one below the top one. possibly the middle one, not sure if there are 2 or 3 covers there.

after realising all the trouble i will be changing the belt. actually, i think i'll just send my car in for the belt change. anybody know how much it would cost??
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: FWD 4AGE sucks!!! Thu, 30 June 2005 05:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
$100
Rallystanza
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: FWD 4AGE sucks!!! Thu, 30 June 2005 06:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ben you have summed everything up in the title of the add!

I did some timing belt and cam gear shit on a fwd gze and yes its a bitch to do anything

Jezza
StockAE86
Regular

July 2004
Re: FWD 4AGE sucks!!! Thu, 30 June 2005 06:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I was there when jezza was doin the fwd gze one and it was definately a bitch.

Maybe you should get a 4ac powered 86, i did my timing belt in no time on monday. Laughing
inertia
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: FWD 4AGE sucks!!! Thu, 30 June 2005 08:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
StockAE86 wrote on Thu, 30 June 2005 16:22

Maybe you should get a 4ac powered 86, i did my timing belt in no time on monday. Laughing

You were there when it was sitting on the engine stand and it was a bitch then!

We had to redo the cam timing, probably jumped a tooth (cause we double checked it when we did it) or some shit, with the engine in the bay... Confused

Well... jezza did it, i just watched and provided food and tools... Laughing
StockAE86
Regular

July 2004
Re: FWD 4AGE sucks!!! Thu, 30 June 2005 12:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inertia wrote on Thu, 30 June 2005 18:49

StockAE86 wrote on Thu, 30 June 2005 16:22

You were there when it was sitting on the engine stand and it was a bitch then!

We had to redo the cam timing, probably jumped a tooth (cause we double checked it when we did it) or some shit, with the engine in the bay... Confused

Well... jezza did it, i just watched and provided food and tools... Laughing

Yer, after I wrote it i realised i wasnt there the 2nd time.
I do believe the first time i was lying under your car putting an efi tank in while you guys did the timing belt.

Cheers
Shtock
b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: FWD 4AGE sucks!!! Thu, 30 June 2005 13:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
when i encountered problem with mine i called inertia and he told me how all u guys were there pulling his engine up coz somebody missed a tooth on the cam gear Laughing
Rona_Drifter
Regular

March 2005
Re: FWD 4AGE sucks!!! Thu, 30 June 2005 13:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Here's ya problem, its FWD.
Julz
Regular

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: FWD 4AGE sucks!!! Thu, 30 June 2005 15:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Common sense would tell you to put something like a bit of wood between the jack and the sump to distribute the load more evenly and not damage your sump
Yeah, good one Einstein. Rolling Eyes
Rolla Boy
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002
Re: FWD 4AGE sucks!!! Thu, 30 June 2005 20:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Julz wrote on Wed, 29 June 2005 23:47

Quote:

You should only have to support the engine by putting a jack under the sump,

Really depends on what kind of jack you're using... My work jacks have quite a large base and it's almost flat so it won't damage the sump at all... The jack does not support the entire engines weight, only supports it as not to stretch the other mounts more than they usually travel...
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: FWD 4AGE sucks!!! Fri, 01 July 2005 00:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i put just your regular workshop jack under the sump. of the many many cars ive done that too (including some bigger motors ie V8s) ive never damaged a sump. ive even jacked up engine with all the mounts in place just to tilt the gearbox down, no troubles.
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: FWD 4AGE sucks!!! Fri, 01 July 2005 00:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Quote:

Common sense would tell you to put something like a bit of wood between the jack and the sump to distribute the load more evenly and not damage your sump

Yeah, good one Einstein.

What's that supposed to mean? Your sump is not made of f$%ken paper mache mate. If you use one of those pointy arse scissor jacks to support it yes you may damage it with a dent (key word is support, it is not holding the entire weight of your engine Rolling Eyes ). I was simply offering some simple advice to obvisouly a simple person Rolling Eyes regarding your original comment/question about damaging your sump with a jack. I assume some knowledge/common sense and did not include such info as the size and shape of the timber to use, I assume you would not try to use a branch snapped off a tree, but instead would use an off cut of soft pine around the size of the base of your sump and about 20mm thick.

As others have now pointed out, they were referring to the use of jacks that have a large support area, which at worst may scratch the paint on your sump (some soft cloth between the jack and sump could prevent this too, but you are uber smart and would already know this Wink ).

Quote:

i put just your regular workshop jack under the sump. of the many many cars ive done that too (including some bigger motors ie V8s) ive never damaged a sump. ive even jacked up engine with all the mounts in place just to tilt the gearbox down, no troubles.

Quote:

Really depends on what kind of jack you're using... My work jacks have quite a large base and it's almost flat so it won't damage the sump at all... The jack does not support the entire engines weight, only supports it as not to stretch the other mounts more than they usually travel...

Some more advice here too, why don't you have a go at them as well.

If you don't understand the concept I offered for avoiding damage to your sump while supporting it with a jack you my friend are the one who is far from being of the intellect of Einstein.

NB: no wonder a lot of people are beginning to not bother offering advice any more when some no brain f$%ktard just has a go at you Rolling Eyes
86tt
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: FWD 4AGE sucks!!! Fri, 01 July 2005 01:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah that's totalling un-necessary to have a go at someone offering advice, but having said that, the advice could've been offered with a more neutral tone.... Laughing
towe_001
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: FWD 4AGE sucks!!! Fri, 01 July 2005 09:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok we know the fun and games of doing the timing belt. What pulling the head to do a head gasket...... The amount of crap that has to come off before a damn head bolt gets touched gets beyond a joke.
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: FWD 4AGE sucks!!! Sat, 02 July 2005 00:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
toyotas are some of the easiest cars you can work on. you guys would really cry if you had to work on something a little more difficult.
towe_001
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: FWD 4AGE sucks!!! Sat, 02 July 2005 05:20 Go to previous message
True, true. My old ke30 rolla was a dream to work on. I could swap its head for another one and be back on the road again in under an hour. About the only hard thing i found was a ball joint that needed to be attacked by a oxy torch.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:4agze question
Next Topic:$250 is that cheap for a HID conversion kit?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 15:22:13 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0060138702392578 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.