Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » limited diff selection?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Hybrid_86
Regular

October 2003
limited diff selection? Thu, 30 June 2005 06:50 Go to next message
hey all,

having a problem finding a suitable diff for my AE86. I know R31 skyline diffs work well in sprinters but i cannot find a manufacturer who make mechnical lsd for them. I'd prefer something that is relativly easy to install, 4 stud (114.3x4 the less i have to change the better), must be able to abtain a mech. lsd for it, must be live axle, and relativly cheap with big power capabilties (550hp odd).

im running out of ideas.

can anyone help?

Dan
  Send a private message to this user    
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: limited diff selection? Thu, 30 June 2005 06:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Considered a JDM ae86 diff? Bolt in Smile
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: limited diff selection? Thu, 30 June 2005 06:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i think he wants something a little stronger
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: limited diff selection? Thu, 30 June 2005 06:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oops missed the 550hp thing.

Then a F series corona diff with supra lsd is an option. Require all mounts cut off and rewelded on, using a jig be best.

Or a G series hilux.. Same as above, all mounts cut and rewelded.
MS-75
Regular

June 2002
Re: limited diff selection? Thu, 30 June 2005 06:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You can detroit lockers, air lockers etc. for the BW's.

Plenty strong-although I don't think you have the '1.5 way' type options.
Henn
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: limited diff selection? Thu, 30 June 2005 07:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kaaz do a centre for R31 BorgWarners. MrShin has one, he could probably help on details.

F-series live axles and G-series Hilux diffs look like good options. Both need mounts cut and rewelded etc etc. You're going to be changing lots for 550hp, so forget about keeping 4 stud.

Or you could go S13 IRS, seems all the rage at the moment.

Hen
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: limited diff selection? Thu, 30 June 2005 07:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
or the other option in the borg warners, is some ppl have done VN commodore diff conversions. Sure it might be a pain to start off with, but think about the aftermarket and parts support once its in Shocked
Hybrid_86
Regular

October 2003
Re: limited diff selection? Thu, 30 June 2005 07:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the r31 diff seemed like the way to go, i had gone through the KAAZ catalogue and couldn't find a mechnical LSD for it. It is either discontinued or i didn't look hard enough. I cannot afford monsterous tyres so i don't think that only having 4-studs will be a problem. Im building a circuit racer/driftcar so gearing will be fairly tall, won't be too much stress on diff.

Cplus
Occasional Poster

October 2004
Re: limited diff selection? Thu, 30 June 2005 13:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Corona RT142 wrote on Thu, 30 June 2005 17:08

or the other option in the borg warners, is some ppl have done VN commodore diff conversions. Sure it might be a pain to start off with, but think about the aftermarket and parts support once its in Shocked

hang on. I think some of you are slightly confused.

The diffs from R31 Skylines, Pintara's, Falcon's, VL-Vs Commodores and even the all mighty sigmas (some) are basically the same. The centres are the same, it's the housings, axels and hubs that differ.

So any centre available for a VN (for example) is available for the rest too.

Just get the housing that suits the sprinter best and go from there - R31 being the easiest available of smaller ones with
discs.

$550 for a spankers 4 pin LSD carrier to suit all of the above http://www.difftechnics.com.au/carriers_lsd.htm or $1850 (ouch!) for a Kaaz one.

available gear sets are herehttp://www.difftechnics.com.au/gear_sets_bw.htm

Cheers,

C+
Henn
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: limited diff selection? Fri, 01 July 2005 03:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
^^^ This is true, I looked at doing a R31 diff housing and axles with 4.1 gears out of a Pintara and some form of LSD centre. The only issue was that apparently R31 axles cant really be shortened as the axle actually narrows after the spline. Never seen it myself, but several diff places told me that.

And as for 4 vs 5 stud. I just meant that you shouldn't worry if the diff is 4 or 5 stud, if you're building a 550hp race/drift car, getting new rear wheels is going to be the least of your problems.

Hen
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: limited diff selection? Fri, 01 July 2005 03:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lemme get this straight, you want 550+hp at the wheels, you want to drift and you think there wont be much stress on the diff?
and you say you dont want to spend alot of money on the diff or tyres. i dont think drifting is for you.
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: limited diff selection? Sat, 02 July 2005 08:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
550hp 4ag ? ive stripped a couple of ex dick johnson bda motors and they got 550hp out of them and close to 700hp for very limited time for qualifying,but they also cost $30k back then and more now.and you get about 1200km out of them at 550hp and ran a comp ratio very very low, like 7-1 and 40psi. best bet just make a hilux diff fit and you have plenty of ratio's in lsd and it will handle what ever you throw at it.
mick
Celica_John
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: limited diff selection? Sat, 02 July 2005 23:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Henn wrote on Fri, 01 July 2005 13:06

The only issue was that apparently R31 axles cant really be shortened as the axle actually narrows after the spline. Never seen it myself, but several diff places told me that.

I confirm that they do narrow after the spline.
Hybrid_86
Regular

October 2003
Re: limited diff selection? Sun, 10 July 2005 07:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im chasing after 550 to 600hp @ flywheel from a S14 VVTi SR20 reliably. I have a budget of $15k for parts, i already have turbo kit, manifolds etc., just hunting internals. I will assemble the engine myself, and have it tuned by Russel Jones on the Gold Coast. Those in the trade (automotive) know who im talking about. The reason i say that the diff won't be under too much stress cause the vehicle is sub 820kg atm and still declining, and i will not be able to fit massive rubber on the rear. Im not shortening the diff as it will make it weaker, and i will have wide body to accomodate the rubber, and a wider track will increase the handling. Thanks CPlus for the info, i will look into it.

Cheers

Daniel
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: limited diff selection? Sun, 10 July 2005 08:12 Go to previous message
I've done both the R31+KAAZ, and the Hilux diff job, and I'd have to say I think the Hilux gets my vote.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:timing belt headache
Next Topic:jzz30 differential
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 11:04:51 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0062201023101807 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.