Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 1JZ auto with wolf 3d stalling instantly

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
1JZ auto with wolf 3d stalling instantly Thu, 09 June 2005 06:40 Go to next message
Today I took the car to the mechanics to tune the wolf 3d v4 ecu.

Firstly, it wasn't starting very well but we got that sorted. (hot start, cold start was fine)

In the end, it was doing some strange stuff. We adjusted the idle screw so it was at about 850rpm. We then got it to start fine and idle properly but as soon as you put it into gear it just clonks out? Then a couple of times, it would start, idle at 13.8:1 as it should (wideband o2 sensor) and then it just leans itself out to about 18:1 and clonks out. The injector duty cycle stayed the same at 2% and the opening time was the same. I just checked fuel pressure the other day and it was at about 40psi at idle.

The traction control is still connected up but the fuse is pulled so no signals to it. We pulled the plug off and it actually seemed to go a little better at idle. The only other thing I can think of is the ISCV. It is currently connected to stock ECU AFAIK. I haven't unplugged it yet to see what it does without it connected. I will try this next. Does it matter if it is not receiving vacuum? ie. just an open pipe connected to it. I was told in the past that this would be ok.

So any ideas would be very helpful Smile
  Send a private message to this user    
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: 1JZ auto with wolf 3d stalling instantly Thu, 09 June 2005 07:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ISCV can just go to open air if you are running map sensor.

Auto or manual?

Tried a bit of revs then putting into gear?
Tried upping the idle to say 1200rpm then putting into gear?

Sounds like something isn't set right in the Wolf.

Pull all the plugs to confirm injectors are working.
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 1JZ auto with wolf 3d stalling instantly Thu, 09 June 2005 07:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
car is auto using standard chaser auto box.

If i rev it a little and put it into gear I can move but it doesn't really want to. I had to do this to get the thing home from mechanics in peak traffic!

Shouldn't have to make it idle at 1200rpm should I. That seems pretty high for a relatively standard engine. I will have a go at it though I suppose.

I am sure that the injectors are firing correctly as it is running smooth as on 6 cylinders and as soon as I am into gear and moving it will run fine at about 13-14:1 or so.

ISCV unplugging still to do next.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: 1JZ auto with wolf 3d stalling instantly Thu, 09 June 2005 07:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Whats controlling the auto?
Any chance its interfering with the wolf?
Anything from the factory ecu left?

No, you shouldn't have to make it idle at 1200, but its something to play with.
If it doesn't do it at 1200, and it does at 850 then its something to check.

Is it in the IDLE map at idle? or does it use the 1000rpm map?
ie, is the TPS set correctly?

(I'm trying to relate how my Microtech works, I assume they'd be fairly similar)
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: 1JZ auto with wolf 3d stalling instantly Thu, 09 June 2005 07:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What I was getting at with the idle, is say that at 850rpm it uses the 1000rpm map, and popping into gear drops rpm to say 650, and that drops it into the 500rpm map, which may not be setup as well.
Just a thought.
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: 1JZ auto with wolf 3d stalling instantly Thu, 09 June 2005 08:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It sounds like the wolf is not compensating enough fuel for the sudden change in manifold pressure i.e. when it goes in gear more load. It may be worth checking for vaccum leaks.

Do you plan on using the ISCV Chris? If it is running off the standard computer it may open then confuse the wolf then there is not enough fuel going in so then it closes etc. You get what im saying? The two computers are confusing one another Laughing
sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: 1JZ auto with wolf 3d stalling instantly Thu, 09 June 2005 09:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
skip could be right

have you had the thing tuned proffessionally

doing it yrself using a wideband o2 sensor and on the road will take you forever

it might look easy to tune a car the way u r doin it but its not

unless u have a base map of another wolf to suit yr engine setup

once its in gear the manifold press changes

i dont know why u took it from the mechanics half finished

its best to leave the tuning to proffessionals

unfortunately its hard to get a good tuner these days
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 1JZ auto with wolf 3d stalling instantly Thu, 09 June 2005 09:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I took it from the mechanics to fix a lot of other dodgy stuff on the car. All that is fixed now.

I was at the mechanics today to get it tuned professionally. Unfortunately, these were the problems that arose.

I understand what Skip means but the only thing that confuses me is that once it is in gear and going it is fine. It is just the transition period. I am going to disconnect ISCV now and see how it goes. Will be back Smile

Thanks guys
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 1JZ auto with wolf 3d stalling instantly Thu, 09 June 2005 09:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skip: unfortunately I don't know enough about how the ISCV works. I just had it connected the same way it was before when it was running but I suppose having the wolf as well changes lots of things.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: 1JZ auto with wolf 3d stalling instantly Thu, 09 June 2005 09:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Are you running both the 1jz ecu AND the wolf? or just the wolf?

Also, don't use the idle screw if you have a wolf. Use the wolf to set the idle.
If its all hooked up right it will control the ISCV to the wanted rpm.

Using the screw will confuse it
sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: 1JZ auto with wolf 3d stalling instantly Thu, 09 June 2005 09:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
is the wolf wired up as a piggy back or has the 1j ecu been removed fully

to get the idle motor to work u need 2 power wires and 4 signal wires from the ecu

does the wolf have 4 aux outputs that all can goto the idle motor

not many aftermarket ecus have this feature

if they do u then have to wire it up correctly and
hope the ecu will work ok

which i know is a pain on most

for a microtech u usaed to have to order the ecu with extra outputs
it didnt come std with them all

but on the other hand it might be a totally diff prob
have had this prob on a 1j with std ecu when the guy used a 5m auto gbox onto it

maybe try disconnecting all wiring off the gbox see if it goes away

maybe the lock up torque converter soleniod is activating when u select a gear and therefor droppin revs too much

[Updated on: Thu, 09 June 2005 09:46]

CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: 1JZ auto with wolf 3d stalling instantly Thu, 09 June 2005 09:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wolf V4 can control 4 wire steppers.
You don't need the 2 power wires though.
Its run the same way delco do it.
sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: 1JZ auto with wolf 3d stalling instantly Thu, 09 June 2005 10:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok
dont the 2 power wires come from the power that powers the ecu

i thought u still need them connected
they dont connect to the ecu
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 1JZ auto with wolf 3d stalling instantly Thu, 09 June 2005 10:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry guys, confused me a little regarding the wiring. That was why I gave it to a pro to get it wired.

Anyway, had some luck I think.

I noticed the other time that it was only doing this when it was around 85deg. This was also when the thermo was coming on. It started first time when cold again Smile and I waited until it got upto 85 deg when thermo comes on and as soon as it got to 85 it just turned off.

I also tuned it a little at idle and it feels a lot smoother up until 85 deg. So I then tried to start the car again and it didn't want to start. I disabled the thermo fan and tried to start it again. I had to give it a bit of throttle to start it but then it idled just fine again.

I changed on temp of thermo to 88 and it did it again at 88.

I reconnected traction control plugs and as suspected it had nothing to do with them.

I didn't bother taking the ISCV plug off as this thermo fan stuff has got me puzzled. Confused

[Updated on: Thu, 09 June 2005 10:16]

CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: 1JZ auto with wolf 3d stalling instantly Thu, 09 June 2005 11:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I can set my ecu up to add extra fuel when the fan turns on.
This is only an extra 0.5ms or so.
If I press down to much, it goes from 0.00 to 13.xx
This dumps in a dickload of fuel and stalls instantly.

Look into this.

Also

Quote:

is the wolf wired up as a piggy back or has the 1j ecu been removed fully

Quote:

Are you running both the 1jz ecu AND the wolf? or just the wolf?

sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: 1JZ auto with wolf 3d stalling instantly Thu, 09 June 2005 11:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thermos drain a shitload of current

run the power wire for the thermo fan relay directly to the battery

and another good thing is to run the battery power for the ecu directly to the battery too

and also run thick wire too

[Updated on: Thu, 09 June 2005 11:16]

Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 1JZ auto with wolf 3d stalling instantly Thu, 09 June 2005 21:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cruzsida: the stock ecu is doing just about everything that I know of except fuel. It is doing timing also. It is just piggybacked in so the stock ecu can control auto and the rest of the stuff.

Thanks for that, I will look into it.

Sideshow: I know the ecu has its own thicker wire direct from battery but I don't think the thermo does. My friend with a wolf also thinks that the wolf is a negative switch for the thermo fan and that it couldn't get a good enough ground on his car and he had some weird problems also.

Thanks for the help guys Smile
Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: 1JZ auto with wolf 3d stalling instantly Thu, 09 June 2005 22:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i know the problem, its not carby'd Razz
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: 1JZ auto with wolf 3d stalling instantly Fri, 10 June 2005 00:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris,

For a 1JZ the on temperature for the thermo should be about 96 degrees and the off about 91, this is for a standard thermostat which I assume you are running.

Yes the ECU switches the earth of the thermo fan but you should still be running a relay, so therefore the Wolf is switching the earth of the relay. Your thermo earth should be going staright to the body or the battery.

As sideshow and Cruzsida suggest the Wolf should definitely have it's positive supply directly to the battery and I would also suggest it's earth run directly to the battery too.

The cause of the problem is simple though. When the car is put into drive there is a change in manifold pressure, more air needs to go into the engine to stop it from stalling. At this point either the ISCV is not opening quickly enough or the ISCV opens but the Wolf is not compensating enough fuel in there quickly enough, car leans out and stalls.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: 1JZ auto with wolf 3d stalling instantly Fri, 10 June 2005 00:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Honestly Chris, if I were you, I'd remove the factory ecu completely.

You don't go spending $1200+ on a stand alone ecu only to run it in piggyback.
The WolfV4 can run everything the 1jz has, bar the auto.

Then get an MV Automatics controller to run the auto.

Best way to do it would be to buy a cut loom from somewhere, and sell you complete loom/ecu to some chump.
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: 1JZ auto with wolf 3d stalling instantly Fri, 10 June 2005 01:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Totally.

To make the most out of your car you would want to be able to adjust the timing aswell.

The stock timing of a 1JZ with twin turbos will not be optimal for a 1JZ with a big old TA45s on there Razz
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 1JZ auto with wolf 3d stalling instantly Fri, 10 June 2005 02:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skip wrote on Fri, 10 June 2005 10:06

Chris,

For a 1JZ the on temperature for the thermo should be about 96 degrees and the off about 91, this is for a standard thermostat which I assume you are running.

Yeah, I knew that. I suppose I was just a little wary and didn't want it running too warm when it is just sitting there.

Quote:

Yes the ECU switches the earth of the thermo fan but you should still be running a relay, so therefore the Wolf is switching the earth of the relay. Your thermo earth should be going staright to the body or the battery.

Yep, that is how it is setup.

Quote:

As sideshow and Cruzsida suggest the Wolf should definitely have it's positive supply directly to the battery and I would also suggest it's earth run directly to the battery too.

will look into the grounding.

Quote:

The cause of the problem is simple though. When the car is put into drive there is a change in manifold pressure, more air needs to go into the engine to stop it from stalling. At this point either the ISCV is not opening quickly enough or the ISCV opens but the Wolf is not compensating enough fuel in there quickly enough, car leans out and stalls.

So when the manifold pressure changes, the ISCV should open. Could someone give me a quick rundown of how the ISCV works?

Quote:

Honestly Chris, if I were you, I'd remove the factory ecu completely.

You don't go spending $1200+ on a stand alone ecu only to run it in piggyback.
The WolfV4 can run everything the 1jz has, bar the auto.

Then get an MV Automatics controller to run the auto.

Best way to do it would be to buy a cut loom from somewhere, and sell you complete loom/ecu to some chump.

This was what I was planning actually, just have to get an MV controller. Just wanted to get it running for once. I am getting a bit impatient. I don't think I will bother changing looms though as I have a chaser dash and the current loom is the only one in the car ie. no original wiring.

Quote:

To make the most out of your car you would want to be able to adjust the timing aswell.

The stock timing of a 1JZ with twin turbos will not be optimal for a 1JZ with a big old TA45s on there

Smile Had a chat with celicamad and Andy (400rwkw jza70 using stock ecu) and they were both very supportive that the standard timing map is actually quite good and that tuners don't usually change it too much. The other thing was that I would then have no knock sensors.

CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: 1JZ auto with wolf 3d stalling instantly Fri, 10 June 2005 02:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Knock sensors are overrated IMO.
As long as its tuned well, and you don't put shit fuel in there, and you have an adequate CAI (or air temp correction) then the motor should never knock.

Apart from that the ISCV opens when the rpm drop below a set point.
It then either holds its position to keep rpm at said point, or it moves back a forth a few mm.

If the rpm drops lower (like you put it in gear) its supposed to open more to let more air in to bring the idle up.

When rpm is a few hundred rpm above the set point, it will be full closed.

AFAIK it has nothing to do with manifold pressure, and is purely controlled by rpm.
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 1JZ auto with wolf 3d stalling instantly Fri, 10 June 2005 03:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for that mate. Makes sense.

Also, I can't remember if I mentioned it but when the thermo was disabled I put it into gear and it didn't stall so that says to me that the ISCV is functioning and the fuelling is ok and the thermo is still the main problem.
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: 1JZ auto with wolf 3d stalling instantly Fri, 10 June 2005 04:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Disconnect the thermo.
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: 1JZ auto with wolf 3d stalling instantly Fri, 10 June 2005 04:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oops sorry for that not reading properly.
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 1JZ auto with wolf 3d stalling instantly Fri, 10 June 2005 04:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that's ok. Don't think I mentioned it anyway. Looks like I will have to use a conventional thermo fan switch then.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: 1JZ auto with wolf 3d stalling instantly Fri, 10 June 2005 05:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Let me get this straight.

If you enabled the thermo, start the car, pop it in gear, it will stall.
But if you disable the thermo, start the car, pop it in gear, it will run?

If so, thats odd.

What do you mean by enable/disable. A function of the wolf, or physically unplugging it?

The thermo itself should have a supply from the battery, through a fuse to a relay. That relay should be earth through the wolf.
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 1JZ auto with wolf 3d stalling instantly Fri, 10 June 2005 05:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep that is correct Cruzsida.

Except, it only seems to be when it gets up to the temp that the thermo fan switches on, before that it is fine.

Once it is up to temp with the thermo enabled (setting on wolf) the car just wants to die as soon as it cranks over.

Then disable thermo and it idled fine.

I will check how it is wired tonight.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: 1JZ auto with wolf 3d stalling instantly Fri, 10 June 2005 05:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sounds to me like the fuel correction for the thermo's is out.

As I described above, I have an extra 0.5ms per pulse when the thermo's are on. This brings the idle back to about normal.
If I hit the down arrow key to reduce it, it goes from 0.5 to 0.25 to 0.00
If I hit down again, it rolls around to 13.00
This chucks a dickload of fuel in and stalls instantly.
I know, coz I've done it a couple of times accidently.

Look into something like this.
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 1JZ auto with wolf 3d stalling instantly Fri, 10 June 2005 05:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sure will mate. Just have to find out where that is hidden in the software Smile

thanks again.
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: 1JZ auto with wolf 3d stalling instantly Fri, 10 June 2005 07:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I still don't think that a thermofan turning on will make the engine stall (fuel issue). Id say thermo is draining the power away from the computer working properly or the injectors. Chris earth the thermo directly to the battery and the thermo positive directly to the battery and see what happens. Also double check the computer +ve and -ve goes straight to the battery.

Your actual 1J loom may not have direct power supply or earth where needed, if so this would also stop your injectors, coils etc from getting proper current flow.
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 1JZ auto with wolf 3d stalling instantly Fri, 24 June 2005 01:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The wolf is the negative switch for the thermo fan. I checked the wiring and it was wired exactly how the wolf book says.

I then changed the two 12v ones to constant power instead of the wolf relay and there was no difference at all.

I have now rewired the thermo off a direct switch so the wolf isn't controlling it at all. I turned it on at about 45deg and it seemed ok, the revs dropped a bit but still ok. Although the revs are up because it is still cold. Then once the car is warmed up I turn it on and it clonks out again. So it seems like it is dropping revs but because the idle is at around 850 instead of 1100 or so when cold it clonks out.

Voltage goes from 14.6 to 14.2 when it kicks in.

I would have thought that the wolf would be able to run with anything aboue 12v.

Any ideas?
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: 1JZ auto with wolf 3d stalling instantly Fri, 24 June 2005 01:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Have you modded anything?

When I ordered my Microtech, I ordered it to be configured to a 4 tooth crank disc instead of the factory 12 tooth (I had modded it)

This was all done fine, but I couldn't get the thing to idle under 1000rpm.

Idling at 1100rpm, the fan would kick on, it would drop to 950, and then conk out.

I eventually sussed it out that Microtech had fucked up my program, and missed changing a value for the crank disc.
I believe that the ecu thought the motor was stalling, went into safety mode, cut the fuel pump and cut the ignition.
This would obviously happen at about 300rpm normally, but because of the tooth change, that part of the ecu thought it was doing 300rpm (obviously had a 12ms gap between pickups (guess), and anything greater than figure means cut fuel/ignition, value wasn't changed to 3 times that figure).

I hope you understood all this.

I didn't raise this point before because I don't believe its the case with you.
I couldn't get it to drop below 950rpm EVER. Regardless of temp, fan, what-have-you.
Can you get it to idle lower, with the fan off?

I still believe that its back to mapping.

Also, just because the Wolf isn't controlling the fan, doesn't mean it doesn't think it still is. The ECU could still be switching that ground at the set temp, and changing the fuel figures.
Try and change the output to a shift light at 6000rpm and see what happens.
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 1JZ auto with wolf 3d stalling instantly Fri, 24 June 2005 02:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrUZsida wrote on Fri, 24 June 2005 11:59

Have you modded anything?

When I ordered my Microtech, I ordered it to be configured to a 4 tooth crank disc instead of the factory 12 tooth (I had modded it)

This was all done fine, but I couldn't get the thing to idle under 1000rpm.

Idling at 1100rpm, the fan would kick on, it would drop to 950, and then conk out.

I eventually sussed it out that Microtech had fucked up my program, and missed changing a value for the crank disc.
I believe that the ecu thought the motor was stalling, went into safety mode, cut the fuel pump and cut the ignition.
This would obviously happen at about 300rpm normally, but because of the tooth change, that part of the ecu thought it was doing 300rpm (obviously had a 12ms gap between pickups (guess), and anything greater than figure means cut fuel/ignition, value wasn't changed to 3 times that figure).

I hope you understood all this.

Yes I think I understand this.
Quote:

I didn't raise this point before because I don't believe its the case with you.
I couldn't get it to drop below 950rpm EVER. Regardless of temp, fan, what-have-you.
Can you get it to idle lower, with the fan off?

Certainly can. We had to adjust the idle up because it was down to about 550-590rpm before.
I still believe that its back to mapping.

Quote:

Also, just because the Wolf isn't controlling the fan, doesn't mean it doesn't think it still is. The ECU could still be switching that ground at the set temp, and changing the fuel figures.

I see what you mean here but I also disable the thermo on the wolf so that it wouldn't be switching the ground anymore.
Quote:

Try and change the output to a shift light at 6000rpm and see what happens.

I understand how to change the output but I don't think I could set it at an rpm on this thermo relay. I would have to use one of the aux outputs instead of the thermo fan switch wire. AFAIK they work the same way so it would be easy to rewire.
I will have a go at this.

Also, forgot to mention that the wolf doesn't have the compensation settings like you were saying with the microtech so that is not an option.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: 1JZ auto with wolf 3d stalling instantly Fri, 24 June 2005 02:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris Davey wrote on Fri, 24 June 2005 10:15

I understand how to change the output but I don't think I could set it at an rpm on this thermo relay. I would have to use one of the aux outputs instead of the thermo fan switch wire. AFAIK they work the same way so it would be easy to rewire.
I will have a go at this.

Ahhh, k

My Microtech has one output, switchable between temp, rpm, boost etc etc.

Sounds like your Wolf has a dedicated thermo output.

Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 1JZ auto with wolf 3d stalling instantly Fri, 24 June 2005 05:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah has the thermo one and 2 other aux outputs that can be used for other stuff.

I guess I will just tell the mechanic who installed the wolf what is happening now and see if they have any ideas. It must be some sort of configuration or not getting fuel in quick enough when the idle drops or something strange like that.

Car is getting tuned tomorrow so I just won't turn the thermo on.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: 1JZ auto with wolf 3d stalling instantly Fri, 24 June 2005 05:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I cant see it being fuel related, unless you have the mapping incorrect.

Yes the revs will drop when the thermo turns on, but it should only increase the fuel by less than 0.4ms pulse, which is nothing really. Not enough to make it stall anyway.
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 1JZ auto with wolf 3d stalling instantly Fri, 24 June 2005 06:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well that is a possibility because it hasn't been tuned yet. It is at a very basic tune that means it is able to drive but no fine tuning at all. I suppose we will see tomorrow.
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: 1JZ auto with wolf 3d stalling instantly Fri, 24 June 2005 08:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Im thinking one of your crucial systems inj, computer, coils etc. has a very border line voltage supply i.e. dodgy wired. At idle your alternator probably doesnt make a whole lot of current and the thermo drains enough power to practically knock one of these systems out.

Have you noticed any wires that get particularly hot?
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: 1JZ auto with wolf 3d stalling instantly Fri, 24 June 2005 08:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
when the thermo kicks on.. and the load on motor increases.. what happens to the manifold vacuum? maybe you just need to finesse the map a little, regardless of the AFR values...
that the voltage is still 14.2 suggests that it's not a voltage correction issue...

i found that it was the transitions that were hardest to get right with my MS... once they were sorted, it ran perfectly.. never any issues (except being an undersized shite motor Razz )

Cya, Stewart
Kyosho
Regular

November 2004
Re: 1JZ auto with wolf 3d stalling instantly Fri, 24 June 2005 08:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Have you made sure the temperature idle RPM is set high enough?
Is it still only dieing when going into gear?

Edit:
In the fuel modifiers tree area, you can increase your injector PW also when the voltage drops... Something that also might be worth a look

[Updated on: Fri, 24 June 2005 08:40]

MS-75
Regular

June 2002
Re: 1JZ auto with wolf 3d stalling instantly Fri, 24 June 2005 12:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry Chris-got a bit buried at work this week. Anyway, wait till it's tuned up and then mess about with it. Putting a power tune into a car can be done in an hour or less, but finessing the tune-ie switching points, temp correcttion, idle speed and general fine tuning can take weeks/months. Don't be too concerned and ask the tuner to have a look at it once the car has been fully heated up at the end of the session. It'll take time to get the whole system behaving around idle and such.

Tell us how you go mate

Sean
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 1JZ auto with wolf 3d stalling instantly Fri, 24 June 2005 22:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skip:No I haven't but I haven't really been looking for that. I am about to do some testing so I will check then.

[Updated on: Fri, 24 June 2005 22:39]

Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 1JZ auto with wolf 3d stalling instantly Fri, 24 June 2005 22:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MS-75 wrote on Fri, 24 June 2005 22:41

Sorry Chris-got a bit buried at work this week. Anyway, wait till it's tuned up and then mess about with it. Putting a power tune into a car can be done in an hour or less, but finessing the tune-ie switching points, temp correcttion, idle speed and general fine tuning can take weeks/months. Don't be too concerned and ask the tuner to have a look at it once the car has been fully heated up at the end of the session. It'll take time to get the whole system behaving around idle and such.

Tell us how you go mate

Sean

Yeah, the problem was that last time I went the car was just dieing when it got up to temp so no tune could be done. So I was going to get advice and see if I could work it out before it goes back.

I have some more testing to do but if it is something in the fuel map then the tuner can work it out.

Kyosho: Dies as soon as the thermo comes on, even in park or neutral. Will also have a look at that fuel modifier this morning. Smile

[Updated on: Fri, 24 June 2005 22:45]

MS-75
Regular

June 2002
Re: 1JZ auto with wolf 3d stalling instantly Sat, 25 June 2005 11:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah-put the thermo on a manual switch for the dyno session and then root about with it later. It won't be anything major. Don't stress too much-I'm sure we can sort it out.Once you have it dynoed give me a buzz and we can go through a list of checks..

Take it easy

Sean
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1JZ auto with wolf 3d stalling instantly Sun, 26 June 2005 00:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
is the alt charging? see if its puting out enough amps to cover the fans at idle
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 1JZ auto with wolf 3d stalling instantly Sun, 26 June 2005 09:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Not sure, will check.

I have found that it is doing it in park only not in neutral from what I can see.
Kyosho
Regular

November 2004
Re: 1JZ auto with wolf 3d stalling instantly Tue, 28 June 2005 06:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
One of the setting is off by the sounds of it...

In the wolf, can you set an RPM for it to sit at when the thermos are on? It sounds as though this idle is too low, and when the car is in gear, or in park, the strain on the engine through the torque convertor with the car stopped (in park, or in drive) that the revs are dropping to low and it's stalling...

When in nuetral, there is very little resistance on the engine from the driveline, and the motor isn't dieing...
Do the revs drop down when in nuetral and the thermos kick in?
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: 1JZ auto with wolf 3d stalling instantly Tue, 28 June 2005 07:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

When in nuetral, there is very little resistance on the engine from the driveline, and the motor isn't dieing...
Do the revs drop down when in nuetral and the thermos kick in?

YES
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 1JZ auto with wolf 3d stalling instantly Tue, 28 June 2005 08:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Skip. Yep the revs drop in neutral as well.

I have gone through and checked out the correction for voltage. When I switched it on it quickly drops to 13.5 or so volts and then back up to about 14.2. So I went through and put an extra .2ms of fuel in between those voltages and it seems like it has fixed it in neutral but not park. Have to do more testing.

Oh yeah, the car didn't get tuned last Friday because the mechanic had to take his mum to brisbane (even though I had organised that time a week earlier) Rolling Eyes So we were going to do it on Saturday and it rained all day. Mad

Hopefully get it done this weekend. This waiting is really beginning to piss me off. Hasn't seen the road with everything working since 29 May 2004!
Kyosho
Regular

November 2004
Re: 1JZ auto with wolf 3d stalling instantly Tue, 28 June 2005 10:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'd look at increasing (for now anyway) the fuel modifier for temp, when just before thermos kick in to 5% increase, as they kick in and whilst on 10% increase,
When thermos are on, reduce timing by 5% as they kick in as well

Also... Turn the overrun fuel cut off... (Under Fuel) Might be an issue that the car is gonig into fuel cut when hitting a certain temperature
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 1JZ auto with wolf 3d stalling instantly Tue, 28 June 2005 11:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks mate I will see what I can do.

I do know that overrun fuel cut is disabled at the moment though.
Kyosho
Regular

November 2004
Re: 1JZ auto with wolf 3d stalling instantly Fri, 01 July 2005 11:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Any luck yet?
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 1JZ auto with wolf 3d stalling instantly Sat, 02 July 2005 02:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I got the car tuned yesterday (full report in readers ride thread) but it is still doing some weird stalling every now and again like when it is warm and I pull up and stop in drive.

It would stall sometimes when I turn the thermo on and sometimes it wouldn't?

So the mechanic has given me a solenoid to let extra air into the engine when the revs drop. I am wiring this to aux output. This should fix all hopefully as it seems like the revs just drop low enough sometimes for it to stall so if it ups it by 100-150rpm it should fix it.

Will see how I go on Sunday Smile
Kyosho
Regular

November 2004
Re: 1JZ auto with wolf 3d stalling instantly Sat, 02 July 2005 02:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Wolf should be adjusting the idle stepper motor itself so that you don't need that solenoid...
Sounds like the Mech has no clue either on what is causing the drop... Confused
Kyosho
Regular

November 2004
Re: 1JZ auto with wolf 3d stalling instantly Sat, 02 July 2005 02:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Here's a thought...

The engine is stalling when you're pulling up at lights once warm... Is this once the thermo is on?
If it is...
Go into control, Idle Speed, Target RPM Engine Temp and when the temp is up (when WAS the thermo meant to kick in?) set it so that the revs increase 100 or 150RPM at that temperature (If you're idling at 800RPM, put in 950RPM or 1000RPM)

Just so that the engine idles a bit higher when it's warmed up more...
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 1JZ auto with wolf 3d stalling instantly Sat, 02 July 2005 23:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AFAIK the wolf isn't controlling the idle speed control valve. Not totally sure though.

If this valve fixes it then that is all I care about so I will have a go.

I have played with the target rpm and it didn't change anything.
Kyosho
Regular

November 2004
Re: 1JZ auto with wolf 3d stalling instantly Sun, 03 July 2005 06:49 Go to previous message
So your Wolf doesn't do anything with the idle? The motor just sets into an idle?

You engine has an Idle Speed Control valve on it yes? (Should be basiaclly at the throttle body)
From memory, the 1JZ-GTE (And GE) run a 4 wire stepper motor to control the idle speed...

You might need to check if the Idle Speed Control valve is wired up...
If it isn't, THAT is your problem
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Need help about Xenon for Celica
Next Topic:Problems with my Sprinter
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 23:09:41 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0089020729064941 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.