Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
billmchenry
Regular

June 2005
3sgte AWD to FWD conversion Fri, 01 July 2005 08:27 Go to next message
HI

I was wondering if anyone has done or heard how to convert the AWD gearbox to FWD to suit a st162.

I have heard that u can take off the transfer case and make up a blocking plate and get the diff welded so all the torque goes 2 the front wheels???

Also expected costs if possible?

I have a 3sfe gearbox as a second option. But i dont have any CV joints or selecting cables as my celica is automatic.

Cheers felias
Bill
  Send a private message to this user    
Jorrs
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: 3sgte AWD to FWD conversion Fri, 01 July 2005 08:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
get a 5sfe gearbox for it, to much buggering round i think with what u wanna do. i have a 5sfe gearbox on my 3sgte ST162 works great and has good gear ratios.
billmchenry
Regular

June 2005
Re: 3sgte AWD to FWD conversion Fri, 01 July 2005 08:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
do u reckon a 3sfe will handle the torque or the 3sgte?
Joshstix
Forums Junkie

Toymods Vice President

May 2002
Re: 3sgte AWD to FWD conversion Fri, 01 July 2005 09:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I hate to be harsh about this but you really should look into buying a different car. The work in the swap is a hell of a lot for the amount of return ou'll get.

Having said that if you want to put a 3SGTE into a St162 and have it last then you should get a MR2 gearbox and convert the shifter for use in a front wheel drive. You can use the outer drive shafts from a GT4 and the inners from the MR2. Then you'll need to get all of the clutch actuation and shifter gear from a manual ST162 and swap it in.

The other point is that this has been covered a hell of a lot of times on this forum how about using the search to do a little research.
smt_007
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: 3sgte AWD to FWD conversion Sat, 02 July 2005 09:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Joshstix wrote on Fri, 01 July 2005 19:14

I hate to be harsh about this but you really should look into buying a different car. The work in the swap is a hell of a lot for the amount of return ou'll get.

I find that funny because, i know of 5 3sgte powered sv21 camrys in aus, and why wouldnt you do it to a celica then. Also this is toymods we do the craziest stuff to our cars.

You can also use a camry sv21 v6 box, my mate had one sitting next to a st205 gt4 gearbox and said the v6 is bigger and looks stronger, he sold the st205 box he got with his engine and used a camry v6 box. Its holding up well making 178kw@wheels on 14 psi, and runs a 13.8 quarter mile and he has had no problem with the box. The 3sfe is an other option but you need to be careful on your launches etc. MR2 option is also available but it is tricky do get done.

This had been covered so checkout, mr2 gearbox info in [search], Cheers.
billmchenry
Regular

June 2005
Re: 3sgte AWD to FWD conversion Sat, 02 July 2005 09:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeh cool thanx for the info. I was researched heaps on the conversion in the perviously posted discussions.

But i havent found any info on how or if it is possible to convert the AWD gearbox...

I think i will go ahead with the 3sfe gearbox and possibly sell the AWD gearbox.

Cheers
Bill
smt_007
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: 3sgte AWD to FWD conversion Sat, 02 July 2005 09:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
One of the guys has a st205 gt4 engine in a camry, and he uses a 3sfe gearbox, but he had it rebuilt to standard specs.
billmchenry
Regular

June 2005
Re: 3sgte AWD to FWD conversion Sat, 02 July 2005 09:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wat do u mean by rebuilt 2 standard specs?

Did he make it a AWD camry
smt_007
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: 3sgte AWD to FWD conversion Sat, 02 July 2005 09:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NO, standard internals in the gearbox were put in, like new syncros etc. He said it costed $1300 to get it rebuilt. Best talk to a place that REbuilds gearboxes, they could use 3sge parts on a 3sfe gearbox.
billmchenry
Regular

June 2005
Re: 3sgte AWD to FWD conversion Sat, 02 July 2005 09:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeh i mite just use the 3sfe and see how it goes.

If it blows up prob get a mr2 gearbox like everybody else is

Thanx mate
smt_007
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: 3sgte AWD to FWD conversion Sat, 02 July 2005 09:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
billmchenry wrote on Sat, 02 July 2005 19:51

Yeh i mite just use the 3sfe and see how it goes.

If it blows up prob get a mr2 gearbox like everybody else is

Thanx mate

Good choice Cool .
smt_007
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: 3sgte AWD to FWD conversion Sat, 02 July 2005 10:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Here my mates quote i found:

Doctakay wrote on Sat, 31 January 2004 12:22

Don't go to the trouble of looking specifically for the v6 camry box... you'll find the exact same gearbox in any later 3s-fe powered camry. They are the same e52 gearbox. so the whole talk from people who have never done the conversion or compared a 3s-fe to 2vz-fe gearbox are just taking guesses. My st205 grp a powered sv21 is about to come out of the workshop being backed up by my STANDARD reco sv21 5 spd box. I forsee no troubles with this box as i have used the uprated toyata syncros (a toyota parts and service upgrade to prevent failure), and had a broken selector fork replaced. The main trouble with these e series boxes is bending the pressure plates in the clutches and not being able to shift correctly if at all, and destruction of original syncros, most commonly 2nd and 3rd. rebuild an old sv21 box and you should fair well on the dollar side of things. or do the same thing with you st162 box which is practically the same thing anyway. I'm not having a stab by the way frank, not by any means, it's just alot of speculation goes on with these fwd 3s conversions and there's not too many people out there that are 100% sure, which is exactly what people like benmeyer need... people that are 100% sure. I've been there myself without the solid info and it can be nothing but a head ache and sometimes more costly chasing items that were more easily accessable and less expensive from something/where else.

Also this is an exellent read, same question as you asked Very Happy .

http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=28076&rid=3616&S=3f1cf8694b3cddee727f1a9 453d12f56&pl_view=&start=0#msg_243868

[Updated on: Sat, 02 July 2005 10:06]

billmchenry
Regular

June 2005
Re: 3sgte AWD to FWD conversion Sat, 02 July 2005 10:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeh cool, it sounds like u have good info as u hav done the conversion.

It seems simple form the start but its pretty complicated...

The bloke that i bout the halfcut off said that i will need a beta fuel pump or the motor will b stuffed in no time.
Did u replace your fuelpump?

I priced sum for a GT4 and they were bout $350. Thats the alot of dosh for stuff all

wat did u do
smt_007
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: 3sgte AWD to FWD conversion Sat, 02 July 2005 10:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry i have not done the conversion, though i will. I just know people that have done it, as for fuel pump you would only change it if you were running high boost and changing to larger injectors, unless the guy that sold the halfcut knows that the fuel pump is screwed.
billmchenry
Regular

June 2005
Re: 3sgte AWD to FWD conversion Sat, 02 July 2005 10:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nah the fuel pump i hav is in my st162 sx. He said it wouldnt supple enough fuel and would run lean and destroy the motor.

smt_007
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: 3sgte AWD to FWD conversion Sat, 02 July 2005 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
billmchenry wrote on Sat, 02 July 2005 20:29

nah the fuel pump i hav is in my st162 sx. He said it wouldnt supple enough fuel and would run lean and destroy the motor.

Oh, thats true then yes you need a new fuel pump, i hear the bosch fuel pumps are very good, the 044 is used often.

...actually 044 is a 650hp pump i just read, talk to bosch for a pump for your needs.

[Updated on: Sat, 02 July 2005 10:39]

billmchenry
Regular

June 2005
Re: 3sgte AWD to FWD conversion Sun, 03 July 2005 08:38 Go to previous message
Yeh thanx for the info mate.

IM well on the road of the conversion. I hav both engines out and im going 2 find out the extra parts i need 2 morrow

Bill
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:1G-GTE wiring question
Next Topic:Current strolla centre console lights
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu May 16 13:35:52 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0056300163269043 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.