Toymods » Members Rides » my JZT130 Corona *dyno results in*

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: my JZT130 Corona *specs updated & sound added 31/3/05* Wed, 13 April 2005 23:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Why dont you put the sender in the union bolt that holds the oil cooler / filter to the block?
  Send a private message to this user    
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: my JZT130 Corona *specs updated & sound added 31/3/05* Fri, 15 April 2005 23:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
because that bolt costs $60!

It is all in now, going to check it now.

http://pic2.picturetrail.com/VOL1006/3462116/7114698/93123074.jpg

http://pic2.picturetrail.com/VOL1006/3462116/7114698/93123085.jpg

Some piccies I took Smile
fingers
Regular

April 2003
Re: my JZT130 Corona *specs updated & sound added 31/3/05* Tue, 17 May 2005 06:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Chris, how's the rona coming along? Driveable yet?
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: my JZT130 Corona *specs updated & sound added 31/3/05* Tue, 17 May 2005 07:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Not yet. Very soon though. Have sorted just about everything. Just have to bleed brakes, fit handbrake cable bracket, wire up my wideband o2 sensor kit (for tuning) and then it is off to the exhaust shop to get my 3” connected to the 4”. Then I will be tuning it on the street with my dad driving. Was hoping to be ready by the 21st really really badly but having 2 uni assignments due this week really didn’t help that cause Sad Hopefully next week though.

Thanks for asking Smile
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: my JZT130 Corona *specs updated & sound added 31/3/05* Tue, 24 May 2005 09:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have now got my wideband O2 kit installed and calibrated except the exhaust shop will put the bung in the dump pipe.

I have fitted the handbrake cable and did some adjusting with it on jack stands. Got it working well, dropped it down and forgot that the cables tighten up when I drop it, so the handbrake was on permanently Razz It is all good now. I can't tell if it going to scrape on the tail shaft again until I drive it.

Today is the 24 May 2005. My car blew up at the track on 29 May 2004. I was hoping that my car wouldn't be off the road for a whole year.

Today, was the day. The car has been driven albeit very slowly and carefully. I had to get it out of the garage and turn it around as I don't think I will be able to get out of the driveway front first. The intercooler is 190mm off the ground.

So I started it up, it takes 2 goes when it is cold as it hasn't been tuned still. Pushed foot on brake (which had felt quite soft before) and put it in drive and it didn't move so I was happy Smile Then slowly rolled out and manoeuvred it around and got it back in. Didn't hit anything Smile

The car feels a bit strange but I don't know if it is because there is no exhaust so I don't use very much throttle at all.

I am ringing the exhaust shop tomorrow and hopefully I will be able to drop it off on Thursday morning.

Time of completion nears Smile

BTW getting out of the garage may not seem like much to some but with all the work I have put into this car with fixing dodgy work by Rotormax, it is quite a big deal for me. Smile
fingers
Regular

April 2003
Re: my JZT130 Corona *specs updated & sound added 31/3/05* Wed, 25 May 2005 00:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Good stuff Chris. Sounds like you've had a fairly big win. It may be slowly, but you're getting through it at least. Smile
GA22GT
Occasional Poster

April 2003
Re: my JZT130 Corona *specs updated & sound added 31/3/05* Wed, 25 May 2005 14:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hi Chris

Great job on your car, unique way of modding the axle, I may follow your setup when my 3SGTE conversion gets done. Did you shorten any part of the mitsubishi pajero axle? was it too wide? or did you just transfer the corona axle brackets over, welded them up and bolt it on your car?

Vern
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: my JZT130 Corona *specs updated & sound added 31/3/05* Wed, 25 May 2005 22:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nope, no shortening required, just welded the corona suspension mounts and trailing arm brackets on.

BTW I drove my car this morning Razz

For 3 minutes to the exhaust shop with no exhaust. It isn't that noisy though. Hopefully pick it up this arvo and it is then ready to tune Shocked
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: my JZT130 Corona *specs updated & sound added 31/3/05* Wed, 25 May 2005 22:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lol i did the same thing last night, fun making more noise than a 747 isnt it Laughing
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: my JZT130 Corona *specs updated & sound added 31/3/05* Wed, 25 May 2005 23:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Only diff is you have stock turbos which seem to be WAY louder than my single. When I started car with stock turbos and no exhaust you couldn't hear ANYTHING! Also, you have a stock ecu so you can rev it. Mine is untuned at the moment, so I didn't go over 2000rpm and even that is scary for me Smile

What a coincidence though!

Good luck with your car mate Smile
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: my JZT130 Corona *specs updated & sound added 31/3/05* Wed, 25 May 2005 23:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BTW if Wez reads this, sorry for waking you up Smile (neighbour)

I was going up the hill saying "it is only one morning neighbours"
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: my JZT130 Corona *specs updated & sound added 31/3/05* Tue, 31 May 2005 12:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
We moved the o2 sensor today. Just had to get a bolt to block old hole and then my dad welded on a new nut just before the cat. For interests sake, wideband o2's should be 24-36" from turbo outlet but before the cat for best results.

Then did some last minute checks and took it for a trip to the servo. My dad didn't think we should bother putting the bonnet back on!!! Razz But I thought it would be for the best as bright yellow corona with lots of bling in the engine bay driving down the road may attract some unwanted attention! Smile

Anyway, pull out of my street and it is back running on 5 cylinders Sad Come out onto the on ramp and it is very spluttery? So I cruise along the side of the road. I was actually running out of fuel Razz

Got to the servo and there is a cop filling up! (I only have one headlight at the moment) So I pull over on the side of the road and turn all lights off. I thought he was gone so I went into servo but he was still there and he was on the ultimate pump Razz So I went and hid behind the diesel pump until he left Smile

Filled up, and the car started running on 6 again? On the way back I was feeling a bit better so I gave it a little bit of throttle in 3rd gear and just as it was about to go into boost it started spluttering so I let off. Of interest to me was that this was about 2400-2500rpm. This is quite the opposite to what people say about the HKS Ta45s I am using Smile

And by the way, it felt like it wanted to take off as soon as it hit boost! It is going to be an interesting drive on Friday when it gets tuned Very Happy
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: my JZT130 Corona *specs updated & sound added 31/3/05* Tue, 31 May 2005 12:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mmmmm

sounds fun chris, cant wait to be finally driving mine now too Very Happy

1JZ powaz Very Happy
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: my JZT130 Corona *specs updated & sound added 31/3/05* Tue, 31 May 2005 23:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Good stuff, nearly there!

I thought this thing was going to be a drag car, why you bothering about the O2 sensor? Unless you plan on doing some serious road kilometres I can't see the point?
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: my JZT130 Corona *specs updated & sound added 31/3/05* Tue, 31 May 2005 23:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't know if I mentioned it but it is a wideband o2 sensor kit. I wanted it for extra safety while driving around, it also does datalogging so I can utilise that when I am at the strip. Smile

Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: my JZT130 Corona *specs updated & sound added 31/3/05* Sat, 18 June 2005 01:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Got car weighed just then. 1280kg including me who weighs 95kg. That is 2816lbs so I won't make the minimum weight for sport RWD. Oh well, I am happy Very Happy

And this is what the 1/4 mile calc says for my car assuming I reach my goal of 400rwhp.

Your ET / MPH computed from your vehicle weight of 2816 pounds and HP of 471 is 10.57 seconds and MPH of 126.73 MPH.
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: my JZT130 Corona *specs updated & sound added 31/3/05* Sat, 18 June 2005 04:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
95kg wow you're a heavy bitch Laughing

Dont worry about the calculator just get that thing finished and down the quater. Toymods will have to have a project decade drag day soon, Chris davey, JCMF and V8_MA61 are the main contenders Smile

Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: my JZT130 Corona *specs updated & sound added 31/3/05* Mon, 20 June 2005 02:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am tank not a bitch Razz

I feel privelidged to be included on that list Wink

Yeah, the calc was done as a theoretical bullshit number to see how far off I will be. I am guessing at least 2 seconds!

Still sorting out that thermo fan as changing the power source didn't work. Getting tuned this friday (again) and then I can go for some drives and see if anything strange pops up that I need to get fixed. Then it is off to Willowbank for me and I am driving there this time, no bloody trailors!
Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: my JZT130 Corona *specs updated & sound added 31/3/05* Mon, 20 June 2005 06:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
those calculators are only good for cars that have perfect tractions, no shift time delays ect ect

prolly mid 12's, or mid 11's with slicks
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: my JZT130 Corona *specs updated & sound added 31/3/05* Mon, 20 June 2005 08:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yep, that is what I was thinking/hoping Smile
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: my JZT130 Corona *specs updated & sound added 31/3/05* Mon, 20 June 2005 09:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mr DOHC wrote on Mon, 20 June 2005 14:59

those calculators are only good for cars that have perfect tractions, no shift time delays ect ect

prolly mid 12's, or mid 11's with slicks

No way I bet Chris' left testicle it will do a very low 11 Laughing
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: my JZT130 Corona *specs updated & sound added 31/3/05* Mon, 20 June 2005 22:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am actually quite attached to that Skip Razz

Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: my JZT130 Corona *specs updated & sound added 31/3/05* Fri, 01 July 2005 06:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok well I finally got my car tuned Very Happy
The weather man had been saying that it would be fine on Friday all week. I was sceptical this morning but it turned out ok.

We sorted the idle at George's before we left and got it nice then took off to the highway. (Rear suspension is set full soft now and is SOOOOO much better!)

Hit the highway and I knew that my speedo was out (read 110 when doing 100) but it seemed like it was way out. My speedo said 140 and I wasn't catching cars really quick? So that was a bit of a pain.

Anyway, George asks me to accelerate a bit and we do this repeatedly until I am basically hammering it. It seems strang that it sits at 5psi for a bit and then goes past to about 10 or so. Then I am accelerating and "pop" no power. No boost so I figure the cooler pipe had blown off. Pull over at a T intersection and find that that is correct.

So we searched around the place and couldn't find any tools (stupid me!) so in the end we pulled the hose off my catch can and used the clamp as a screwdriver to hold the cooler pipe on! Bush mechanics at it's best Very Happy

Then on the way back there was a bit of traffic so it was a bit difficult but I tried an acceleration without overdrive on. This is taking off at about 3500rpm at 100kms ish. (Forgot to mention before that the car didn't feel all that fast taking off in overdrive) This time it went from 5psi very quickly to about 18psi and she felt pretty bloody quick! I got a look at the Air fuels and it was 10.XX so pretty rich. At this stage we both came to the conclusion that the rest of the tuning will be done on the highway.

So now it is tuned up to about 10psi so I can go for general drives until I get my dyno booking.

George has also given me a solution for the stalling. It is a solenoid that lets more air into the engine if it senses the revs drop. I will wire this up to the aux output and then it should stop it. It was stalling sometimes when the thermo switched on and also when it is warm and goes into gear. So this should help that.

Have to get a 12v to 240v inverter so I can hook up my laptop in my car. And I also need to get a 3" or so tacho as my bastard chaser one won't work even after I rewired it.

So that is all for now, I am one happy chappy Very Happy
Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: my JZT130 Corona *specs updated & sound added 31/3/05* Fri, 01 July 2005 10:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sweet

so whens the full tune gonna be done.

whens the power run gonna be done

me and mate are going to the drags soon so u will have to come too
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: my JZT130 Corona *specs updated & sound added 31/3/05* Sat, 02 July 2005 02:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am going to get tacho installed first, 240v inverter and the solenoid to fix the stalling problem.

Then I have to organise the dyno so it will probably be late this week or early next week. Very Happy
Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: my JZT130 Corona *specs updated & sound added 31/3/05* Sat, 02 July 2005 03:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how did the auto hold up to the 18psi
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: my JZT130 Corona *specs updated & sound added 31/3/05* Sat, 02 July 2005 23:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fine, I was only at that power for a sec. I am in the process of doing the shift kit on my spare auto as a practice so I can then do it on the auto that is in there Smile
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: my JZT130 Corona *specs updated & sound added 31/3/05* Mon, 04 July 2005 00:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Why are you putting an inverter in your car?
fingers
Regular

April 2003
Re: my JZT130 Corona *specs updated & sound added 31/3/05* Mon, 04 July 2005 00:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skip - So the laptop has a power source?

Good to see its finally coming together Chris! Smile
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: my JZT130 Corona *specs updated & sound added 31/3/05* Mon, 04 July 2005 00:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep that is correct. POS laptop I bought won't work unless it is plugged into wall.

Went for a decent drive yesterday not much hammering it just working stuff out. Seems to be going well. I am very happy Very Happy
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: my JZT130 Corona *specs updated & sound added 31/3/05* Mon, 04 July 2005 02:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh yeah sorry I remember reading that now.

Damn laptop batteries are the p00
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: my JZT130 Corona *dyno results in* Fri, 15 July 2005 08:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok well JZT130 hit the Ron Hill dyno dynamics dyno today. It went a bit like this. First power run made 210rwkw but as suspected the external wastegate wasn't opening. At this point I checked the datalog on the wolf and it had max boost of 23psi! I was a bit scared of this as I don't want anything to blow up again.

I had already checked with 3 or 4 knowledgeable people regarding the setup of my boost controller with external wastegate. I had the bleed line going to bottom of wastegate and the pressure blocking line going to the top of the wastegate. (this is supposed to bring boost on quicker). So I tried some other ways of installing the boost controller and each time it would go to 23psi of boost and then miss badly so the throttle was let off. (spark plugs are gapped to .8mm) So I was just about convinced that the wastegate was stuffed and wouldn't open and I installed the boostcontroller in the opposite fashion to what I was told to do. Guess what? Holding 12psi now??? The bleed line is connected to the top of the wastegate and the bottom of wastegate is not connected at all. Anyway this worked so we did a couple more runs, the temp was starting to get up there so we had to wait a bit between runs. Water temp was about 95 and intake temps were about 50+deg.

So I was running 12psi boost and it made 182rwkw. Then I wanted a little more boost so I turned the valve and it then made 20psi again! Now what was shocking to me was that it only made 192rwkw. Don't think about the total number just the difference. 10rwkw for an extra 8psi? That to me is saying that the turbo is way out of its efficiency range or the entire engine was bloody hot. (which it was)

Either way I am pretty happy with the results. it is tuned to 7500rpm now and feels great. Boost comes on hard at about 4000rpm.

Also this was not done in shootout mode, they aren't accredited shootout guys. The dyno was done in second gear on the auto so it didn't kick down.

And to put that into perspective, the tuner had his track car there which is an sr20vet powered silvia with wolf 3d, extractors, exhaust, CAI and MSD ignition and it made 84rwkw. This engine stock makes around 140kw IIRC. Can't find any info on it? And a 4age 100kw sprinter with exhaust, manual box made 57rwkw.

So I am pretty happy except my bloody A/F ratio datalogger wouldn't work so I couldn't test it. I am going to get this working and then finish tuning the car myself as it is still running around 10.6:1 at 7500rpm.

It will be interesting to see how this power figure relates to the quarter mile when I go there in 2 weeks Smile

Will have dyno sheet up soon. POS camera not working Sad
Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: my JZT130 Corona *dyno results in* Fri, 15 July 2005 09:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i thought it would make more power,

do u think the turbo is below its efficiency or above
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: my JZT130 Corona *dyno results in* Fri, 15 July 2005 10:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
chris, given your experience with the last engine, i'd be making sure it runs a bit on the rich side when you're into oh-my-gowd boost territory. Better to have a slightly over-cooked turbo than melted pistons and no ring-lands Shocked

anyway, nice to see some of us getting projects off the trailer and into motivation!

cheers and GL,
Charles.

[Updated on: Fri, 15 July 2005 10:23]

Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: my JZT130 Corona *dyno results in* Fri, 15 July 2005 22:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Phil: yeah I was expecting a bigger number but I still go by what my sig says Smile I have been in cars that have around the same power as what mine came up with and it still seems quicker than them so...? We will see when I hit the strip. I am expecting a terrible ET as at present I can't even hit boost in 1st gear and then it takes forever in second beause of low revs. I am going to get a manualising box for the auto.

re efficiency: I am not quite sure about that hey? The dyno is saying that 20psi gives SFA gain over 12psi so that to me says it is blowing way too much hot air. I would have thought that a HKS turbo this large would love to push some big boost?

Charles: Yeah, I wasn't going to lean it off too much. Firstly I am going to calibrate my WBo2 with the mechanics motec as I don't really trust the dyno guys one and then aim for 11:1. I don't want to run too much boost as I really don't want to have to swap engines again for a while!

Which car of yours is getting done now? the z10?

[Updated on: Fri, 15 July 2005 22:49]

Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: my JZT130 Corona *dyno results in* Fri, 15 July 2005 23:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh yeah here is the sheet

http://pic2.picturetrail.com/VOL1006/3462116/7513250/104637061.jpg
Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: my JZT130 Corona *dyno results in* Sun, 17 July 2005 08:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
will you still be coming down on the 30th, there is a dyno day at everton hills too, u should come for that too.

what is the turbo type
HKS TA45?????
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: my JZT130 Corona *dyno results in* Sun, 17 July 2005 08:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah, most likely. I am going to order a 3 bar map sensor and wire that in. Then I will log my a/f's and give it a bit of a tune and I am going to take it to a shootout dyno up here later this week. I want a shootout figure before I take it to the drags.

After that I will get an MV shift box and get the wolf doing timing and see what the difference is. Will do the shift kit on the auto as well. May get the stally in before the next run but that is doubtful so don't expect any good ET's!

The turbo is a hks ta45s
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: my JZT130 Corona *dyno results in* Mon, 01 August 2005 13:10 Go to previous message
updates for today Smile

Got the 3 bar map sensor in and logging now BTW

I have found that my entire fuel map is being adjusted by 32% up. So all the numbers on there really don't mean much at all. So I went through and reentered the real numbers in there and adjusted it to 0%. I redid the idle as it was a bit strange. Got it nice and smooth at 1.92ms at 750rpm.

BTW my patching up of the radiator has seemed to work! Quite happy about that Smile

So I got my dad to drive my car tonight and I was the tuner. I haven't worked out how to datalog the a/f etc. and have the wolf connected to the laptop at the same time. Once that is done it will be a lot easier. So anyway I got my dad to give it a bit, not too much just up to about 4500rpm. At this stage it was heading to 13:1 and above so he slowed and did some adjusting. We did this a couple of times and I have now got a nice 11.5:1 or so up to around 5500rpm at 15psi boost. We didn't go any further than this though as I want to be able to log it and then make changes. I need to be able to see what load point the car is at at a given rpm from the wolf software but I want to be able to see exactly the a/f at each point via the wbo2 software. So this will be happening soon as I have asked a guy who is currently doing this how he did it Smile

I will be getting a heat shield made up to go inbetween turbo and brake booster as the booster is getting pretty hot! The master cylinder and fluid seems fine though. Should have this done by Sunday for the cruise as it will get very hot in the middle of the day.

That is all for now Very Happy
Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Paul's AE92 Corolla GTi (update: Lucid enters a Motorkhana)
Next Topic:johns AE82 twin cam
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 15:39:27 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0083470344543457 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.