Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
deeps
Regular

November 2004
Tune up Fluid Fri, 01 July 2005 05:13 Go to next message
Hey

Went down to super cheap auto, they have all these tune up fluids which are meant to help idling, and stuff like that.

My corona is having an idling problem, and i thought i'd give this a try?

is it any good? it's only bout 10 bucks so worth a shot, but i don't want it to damage my engine by any chance?

or shouldn't i even bother with the stuff?
The brand was wynn's and i THINK it was "supreme' or somethig

Also wondering, how many litres of oil does a normal corolla 1.8 or something usually take?

i have no idea the capacity on my corona, but i'm guessing all small cars will be similar

Send a private message to this user    
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Tune up Fluid Fri, 01 July 2005 05:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
put nulon stop smoke in my car idles like a dream on the stuff, no joke the car is shitloads smoother at idel and just a lot quieter when i have some in. Very Happy
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Tune up Fluid Fri, 01 July 2005 05:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what corona do you have it should say in the service manual if its an rt142 or st141 i can check mine at home and tell you but from memory it is around 4.7L or something quiet alot for a 4cylinder.
deeps
Regular

November 2004
Re: Tune up Fluid Fri, 01 July 2005 07:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it's an ST190 Corona, 1.8 litre, and 1992 model

Import, and don't have a service manual Sad

Well, the idling is rough only at times... I'll try describe the rough feeling

i guess i get the feeling as if something is half blocked at times...

Perhaps also like a car, that hasn't been started for a long time.. But after it starts, it feels like it's almost gonna turn off..it's not that bad, but the SLIGHTEST feel of that.

There's also a noise that happens, seems to happen more so when the engine is really well warmed up... It only ever happens when car is idling and in drive, and OCCASIONALY (very rarely) in neutral. no idea how to describe the noise, except that it's like "tick tick tick tick" continously, at a constand rate...except it's not "tick" it's some other noise i can't describe Sad

dunno if that helps??

It doesn't smoke, so is there any point in putting no smoke stuff in? I wanna get rid of thise stupid noise, and get it idling normally again..

When driving, the car is absolutely fine..One thing i have noticed though (it's an automatic btw), that when u accelerate moderately hard, is that when it reaches 70, it accelerates alot better, but quieter...and no, there is no gear change at that point... it just suddenly finds more power and sounds like engine is under alot less stress

:S

mini77
Occasional Poster

June 2005
Re: Tune up Fluid Fri, 01 July 2005 12:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you'd be better off getting your car tuned and serviced properly by a licensed mechanic
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Tune up Fluid Fri, 01 July 2005 14:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i am sure the wynns supreme tune up is just an additive for the oil to free sticky lifters (it is late and i may be wrong). we sell a fair bit of it at work to mechanics that want a quick fix (on mainly crummydores) to get them out of their w/shops.

as mini77 said, give your car a good service and tune up.

[Updated on: Fri, 01 July 2005 14:35]

deeps
Regular

November 2004
Re: Tune up Fluid Fri, 01 July 2005 15:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what does a "good service and tune up" incorporate?

coz the cars had the problem for quiet a while now, it runs ok and so i haven't really been bothered by it

It gets serviced regularly at around 7.5k km's. just oil and oil filter

Plugs are changed every 5k, leads were changed about 15,000 km's ago

What else is incorportated in a service and tune up?

FWDCelica
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Tune up Fluid Fri, 01 July 2005 22:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
deeps wrote on Sat, 02 July 2005 01:11

what does a "good service and tune up" incorporate?

coz the cars had the problem for quiet a while now, it runs ok and so i haven't really been bothered by it

It gets serviced regularly at around 7.5k km's. just oil and oil filter

Plugs are changed every 5k, leads were changed about 15,000 km's ago

What else is incorportated in a service and tune up?

Changed the Air Filter/Fuel Filter?
Had the injectors cleaned ?
Checked the Air Intake hose for cracks/leaks ?
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Tune up Fluid Fri, 01 July 2005 23:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yea. oil, oil filter, plugs, points (if it has them), rotor button, dist cap, check timing etc..
deeps
Regular

November 2004
Re: Tune up Fluid Sat, 02 July 2005 03:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Changed the Air Filter/Fuel Filter?
Had the injectors cleaned ?
Checked the Air Intake hose for cracks/leaks ?

yup both have been changed in the last 5000km's (air and fuel filter)

hmm, how do you check the air intake hose for cracks or leaks?

Upon visible inspection, there seems to be no cracks

I'm guessing a little bit of water would be the answer?

deeps
Regular

November 2004
Re: Tune up Fluid Sat, 02 July 2005 03:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
feral4mr2 wrote on Sat, 02 July 2005 09:23

yea. oil, oil filter, plugs, points (if it has them), rotor button, dist cap, check timing etc..

ok, so i need to get rotor button, dist cap, and timing checked.

Except, i was under the impression on an efi, that the timing cannot be adjusted without takin the entire engine out and will cost almost as much as putting a new timing belt in?

Dist cap upon inspection seems to be in good nick, though hasn't been changed for quiet a number of km's. Do i really need to change it?

What's the rotor button (i think it's wha'ts underneat the dist cap correct?) and how much do they cost?

My biggest problem, is that i own an import, and it's very hard to know what parts this car needs, as none of the books at the stores have my car on it!
deeps
Regular

November 2004
Re: Tune up Fluid Sat, 02 July 2005 03:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well i bought some wynn's Tune Up Supreme, and chucked it in... No real difference as yet, but haven't reaaaaaly driven it much.

How much driving would you expect before i notice anything?

If i get no difference, i'll chuck in some Stop Smoke as well.. There should be no problems having both in there at the same time right?

sorry, as u can see, i'm not THAT crash hot bout cars Razz but i wanna learn Razz

FWDCelica
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Tune up Fluid Sat, 02 July 2005 10:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
deeps wrote on Sat, 02 July 2005 13:20

ok, so i need to get rotor button, dist cap, and timing checked.

Except, i was under the impression on an efi, that the timing cannot be adjusted without takin the entire engine out and will cost almost as much as putting a new timing belt in?

The Ignition Timing, not camshaft timing.
Can be done with motor in car.You need a timing light to check this,

Dist cap upon inspection seems to be in good nick, though hasn't been changed for quiet a number of km's. Do i really need to change it?

Wouldn't hurt : they do crack which can cause mis-firing, and they are fairly cheap.

What's the rotor button (i think it's wha'ts underneat the dist cap correct?) and how much do they cost?

Correct, should cost no more than $20.00.

My biggest problem, is that i own an import, and it's very hard to know what parts this car needs, as none of the books at the stores have my car on it!

Get the model of the engine : thats a good place to start. Is it a 1S-Ci ? or 4S-Fe should be written on the motor or under the bonnet somewhere
deeps
Regular

November 2004
Re: Tune up Fluid Sat, 02 July 2005 14:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it's a 4S-FE

unfortunately most shops dont have it on the catalogue, and it takes forever to work out what part i need Sad

deeps
Regular

November 2004
Re: Tune up Fluid Sat, 02 July 2005 14:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i've considered changing my dizzy cap, but as i mentioned bfore, i don't know which one i'm meant to get!

same with the rotor! If i knew which one, i'd get around to changing it Razz

also wondering, i've seen dizzy caps at super cheap auto and the like, but haven't seen a rotor button, and tbh have no idea what they look like... have heard that they're relatively easy to change though..

deeps
Regular

November 2004
Re: Tune up Fluid Sat, 02 July 2005 15:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Replace the PCV (positive crankcase ventilation) valve. It can make your car run rough or stall if it gets clogged, and it's cheap and easy to replace.

what exactly is that? and where is it? how do i replace it? could that be the problem?

hhehe, sorry for the spanish inquisition Wink

feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Tune up Fluid Sun, 03 July 2005 02:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
deeps wrote on Sat, 02 July 2005 13:24

If i get no difference, i'll chuck in some Stop Smoke as well.. There should be no problems having both in there at the same time right?

unless your car is spewing blue/grey smoke from the exhaust there is no need to go wasteing your money on stop smoke additives. half the time them additives dont work anyways.

oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Tune up Fluid Sun, 03 July 2005 02:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just remember to change the blinker fluid while you are there....

sorry, i'm just being a smart arse Wink
deeps
Regular

November 2004
Re: Tune up Fluid Sun, 03 July 2005 07:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
feral4mr2 wrote on Sun, 03 July 2005 12:19

deeps wrote on Sat, 02 July 2005 13:24

unless your car is spewing blue/grey smoke from the exhaust there is no need to go wasteing your money on stop smoke additives. half the time them additives dont work anyways.

nope no blue or any weird smoke at all... just someone suggested it earlier, so i thought i'd give it a whirl

ANYWAY, i THINK i've found my problem..

i just noticed something...feel rather silly

It says idle speed should be 650rpm... however, in small print down the bottom, it says for automatic transmission, it should be 750rpm..

it's only doing about 600-650rpm, and definatley not 750rpm when in drive... however seein that it shld be tuned in neutral, neutral is about 650-700rpm

So i'm guessing it's as simple as that? Now, can a simple midas dude fix the idle speed? or is it still a job for toyota? I don't think i'd have to pay too much to fix such a simple thing right?
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Tune up Fluid Sun, 03 July 2005 09:04 Go to previous message
hehe doesn't work my arse, done my car a treat and it spun the rollers at 63.2kw today rofl Very Happy
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Red smokeing tires
Next Topic:where to buy t18 handbrake cables?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 11 18:04:28 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0071759223937988 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.