Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 3sge > 3sgte conversion - is it really worth it?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
NUT_54C
Occasional Poster

June 2005
icon7.gif  3sge > 3sgte conversion - is it really worth it? Sun, 03 July 2005 13:12 Go to next message
i have a nice red 88 ST162 celica with a nicely running 3SGE in it. as being a P plater i'm always wanting to go faster and i've done fair bit of reading on forums bout conversions and i'm just wondering is it really worth converting my engine to a turbo'd 3S GTE

the idea of smashing alot of my mates sounds good but i'm trying to weigh up the money factor. i'd prob have to replace my gear box as its on the way out aswell.

heard alot bout s***ty handling with a turbo'd front wheel drive... ANY THOUGHTS PEOPLES???. this car would just be a hoon around the streets car not racing or anything like that. Smile
  Send a private message to this user    
Draza
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: 3sge > 3sgte conversion - is it really worth it? Sun, 03 July 2005 13:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes u'll need to upgrade ur gear box. When doing so i say get 1 with an LSD other wise u won't be able to get the grip down when u want it.

Since u don't want to race it i would recoment u buying something like an MZ20 or a MA70. The 7mgte would give u that bit more power.

I don't recomend doing this conversion unless u love the car and don't mind putting in the cash to do it.
NUT_54C
Occasional Poster

June 2005
Re: 3sge > 3sgte conversion - is it really worth it? Sun, 03 July 2005 13:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i do love my car very much so new job coming up soon so hopefully an extra bit of cash.... if i was gonna up grade gear box what should i get...just like the sound and ease of this conversion
Jorrs
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: 3sge > 3sgte conversion - is it really worth it? Sun, 03 July 2005 13:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey mate i previously owned a 3sge st162, now i own a st162 with a 3sgte and i can say it is awesome Very Happy u absolutely feel the power difference and is so much fun also, handling isnt so bad as long as u no how to drive and dont try to pretend like its a RWD, as for doin the conversion and spendin the money i wouldnt no as i bought mine with 3sgte in it already, in my opinion if u love the st162 then id say go for it, as it will then be the ultimate hairdressers car with balls Razz Wink
NUT_54C
Occasional Poster

June 2005
Re: 3sge > 3sgte conversion - is it really worth it? Sun, 03 July 2005 13:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah seriously considering it once i get the money together can anyone give a rough estimate on total cost. i'd have pay to get most of the work done as i dont know shit bout engines (but learning Very Happy ) i've been qutoed 1600 for an import 3s-gte with turbo (not sure of the condition of motor)

other thing i'm glad for local libary has manual for my car. free manual Very Happy
Jorrs
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: 3sge > 3sgte conversion - is it really worth it? Sun, 03 July 2005 14:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
with these import motors u gotta watch the condition of the turbo and things like headgaskets, also the kms of the engine are most likely to be incorrect as they wind their odometers back alot
NUT_54C
Occasional Poster

June 2005
Re: 3sge > 3sgte conversion - is it really worth it? Mon, 04 July 2005 05:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: 3sge > 3sgte conversion - is it really worth it? Mon, 04 July 2005 06:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pfft dont need a new gearbox.. if ur keeping it standardish mine is far from standard and is using a camry gearbox.. yes lsd would be nice Razz but i have no trouble taking off at the same speed as a lsd rwd car... lsd just puts more pressure on everything in my eyes bit of wheel spin never hurt no body
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: 3sge > 3sgte conversion - is it really worth it? Mon, 04 July 2005 06:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rough price.. do it yourself.. with little to no mods using ur existing exhaust but plumbing it up from dump to existing could do it for 4k give or take you could do it for cheaper but ntohign ever goes to plan on a conversion if you want a car that is reliable and dont have to spend money on it each weekend dont do a conversion.

it cost me 7500... to do mine i did all the mechanical side of thigns took it places for an aftermarket ecu and exhaust. etc... 1600 is a bit rich not sure where u are but i paid 1200 for my engine with start up warranty with turbo etc cut loom but with all plugs.. theres a million and one questions youd need to answer for anyone to give u a ballpark figure on conversion costs.. Razz ask pm one of the people who has replied in here most ppl are only to happy to help

i wouldnt worry to much about the condition of the engine. youll find that most are in beter condition than the engine here in australia pick an importer who has a decent name for themselves do a bit of a check ask some people about them. if yuou buy a half cut demand they start it. i could ramble on with shit all day at the end of the day 300 people r gunna tell u 300 different things and most of them will be correct as everyone does things differently theres plenty of info on this site about the conversion have a bit of a search

[Updated on: Mon, 04 July 2005 06:58]

FWDCelica
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: 3sge > 3sgte conversion - is it really worth it? Mon, 04 July 2005 07:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Save your money sonny !

When you gotta big schlong you don't need a fast car. Laughing Laughing Laughing

Go and buy some real estate. I hear it's pretty cheap up around Newy.

You'll thank me in 10 years time.

Cheers.
T.

[Updated on: Mon, 04 July 2005 07:55]

NUT_54C
Occasional Poster

June 2005
Re: 3sge > 3sgte conversion - is it really worth it? Mon, 04 July 2005 13:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah thanks for all the help i'm gonna be waiting quite a while before i get this i done i think just due to the money factor.

or unless i come across a small fortune sometime soon. might just make my car look good rather then go fast as my brother makes vynal/stickers for a living.
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: 3sge > 3sgte conversion - is it really worth it? Tue, 05 July 2005 05:28 Go to previous message
noo u dont want vinyl stickers to make a car look good.. tint the windows , lower it and be happy with it otherwise sell it.. converions just arent worth the hasseel unless u have mechanical skills and a big back pocket
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Advancing ignition timing - 1G
Next Topic:help anyone in Melb??
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 12:41:27 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0056469440460205 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.