Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Getting the Crank Pulley Off (with complication)

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
xpimp
Regular

January 2003

Getting the Crank Pulley Off (with complication) Sun, 03 July 2005 11:33 Go to next message
Hi Guys,

Bad bad experience is unfolding here Sad Used a home made tool basically the same as the toyota one in the manual for removing crank pully bolt (ie two bolts screw into pulley and stop it from spinning).

One of the bolts I was using snapped off clean in the pulley, and as hardened steal the easy outs/screw extractors just get torn to crap trying to get it out.

Is there any way of getting the crank pulley off without theses two bolt holes. I cant undo the bolt nomatter what I try Sad

Thanks

[Updated on: Sun, 03 July 2005 11:34]

Send a private message to this user    
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Getting the Crank Pulley Off (with complication) Sun, 03 July 2005 11:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mine involved getting a pulley puller, putting the crank pulley bolt in a few turns, then pulling it off until it rested on the nut then sliding it off the rest of the way by hand.
brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: Getting the Crank Pulley Off (with complication) Sun, 03 July 2005 11:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the real name for what JCMF is talking about is a
Jaw Gear Puller. thats what the call them in the tool shops anway. not that expensive either
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Getting the Crank Pulley Off (with complication) Sun, 03 July 2005 11:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Meh, it didn't have the word jaw used in it's name, it was a 3-armed one, and it looks like this:
http://store1.yimg.com/I/autotoolexpress_1848_3464 442
inertia
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Getting the Crank Pulley Off (with complication) Sun, 03 July 2005 12:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I used a harmonic balancer puller kit on mine... however now that the bolt is stuck in there you might aswell use a jaw puller as stated... it can possibly damage the pulley (according to haynes manual), but i think you're past that.
xpimp
Regular

January 2003

Re: Getting the Crank Pulley Off (with complication) Sun, 03 July 2005 12:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the quick replys guys.

I will definately get a Jaw Gear Puller.

In the mean time I am still having trouble to crack the big tight assed bolt on the pulley. Any ideas?

I am getting desperate to crack that bolt, does the starter motor trick with the breaker on the pully bolt normally result in damage? I would be worried about missing teeth if I resort to this method....
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Getting the Crank Pulley Off (with complication) Sun, 03 July 2005 12:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Use the starter motor and a long breaker bar to get the bolt off
bark0de
Occasional Poster

May 2005
Re: Getting the Crank Pulley Off (with complication) Sun, 03 July 2005 14:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep... need one of those jaw puller tools. I did it 2 weeks ago.

Do you have the tool to apply torque to the crankshaft pulley? Here's what I made:
http://cefiro.kicks-ass.org/~bk/1jz/1jz_crankshaft_pulley_remover_tn.jpg

The above is for a 1jz... not sure if it would be the same for other toyota engines.

[Updated on: Sun, 03 July 2005 14:46]

barned01
Regular

September 2003
Re: Getting the Crank Pulley Off (with complication) Sun, 03 July 2005 15:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
is the engine in the car or out?
my experience
if in the car, i think i put the car in gear, then with a breaker bar just turned the breaker bar anti clockwise.
my puny excuse for muscles however came up with me just sighing and saying "bum" a lot.
so i went down to my local srcap metal joint and found a nice 60cm pipe (fairly thick walled) that fitted over the end of the breaker bar.
this now made my breaker bar over a metre long and then when i tried to turn it it cracked pretty much straight away with not much effort.

so what i am saying is use your breaker bar and go to the local metal place and find a nice strong piece of metal bar that will go on your breaker bar to extend the handle, (mine cost me 5 bucks...best 5 bucks i have ever spent i say).

if it is out of the car then use the fly wheel and secure a heavy duty chain to it around the engine somewhere (something like securing the chain around the intake manifold, wrap it arond the engine then attach to a anchor point on the flywheel) and that shoul stop the crank from moving. you will have too secure the engine somehow however. and use the breaker bar again
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: Getting the Crank Pulley Off (with complication) Mon, 04 July 2005 00:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Umm... I wouldn't have tried to stop the crank from turning via a couple of puny bolts especially if they protruded from the holes a bit.

Toobs dodgy ways to remove harmonic balancer bolt:
In car
1) Rattlegun
2) Breaker bar + starter motor
3) Breaker bar + in gear

Out of car but as usual forgot to take off the harmonic balancer before taking the flywheel off!
4) WST-010
5) Strap type Oil filter remover + breaker bar + a mate to hold the filter remover.

Out of car but remembered to remove the harmonic balancer before the flywheel.
6) Wedge a bolt between the flywheel and one of the dowellings + breaker bar.

xpimp
Regular

January 2003

Re: Getting the Crank Pulley Off (with complication) Mon, 04 July 2005 02:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks everyone for the replies Smile

The engine is in the car, my g/fs celica. Unfortunately it snapped a timing belt out in the middle of nowhere but anyway towed it back thats all good.

Strangley putting the car in gear does nothing towards restricting turning the crank. Its like the clutch doesnt exist anymore Sad I am guessing its slipping hardcore, or maybe in the panic of the powersteering failing due to the engine stopping while turning made her glaze up the clutch.

I have learnt my lesson against holding the pulley with those puny bolts, even when protruding only a centimetre or so...

I dont have a rattle gun, so i will try a strap type oil filter, thats a good idea... Except I can see it been demolished by the insane amount of force required to undo the bolt Sad

Failing that the starter motor. Or as I now have to do the clutch I might just rip the engine out Sad

Thanks again everyone.

Ben Wilson
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Getting the Crank Pulley Off (with complication) Mon, 04 July 2005 04:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've never had a problem using the starter motor.

If the engine is out of the, or you can get to the ring gear, grab a decent size allan key, poke it through one of the bell housing holes and hooke the bent end in the ring gear - work very nicely.
cannonball
Forums Junkie

July 2004
Re: Getting the Crank Pulley Off (with complication) Mon, 04 July 2005 05:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I dont know about these engines, But on some Peugeot and Subaru engines, there is a small hole (often covered with a rubber grommet) at the back of the block/bellhousing area. Shine a torch in to see if you can see the flywheel teeth. If you can, your onto a winner.
Get a medium/large GOOD QUALITY flat headed screwdriver, and push it into the hole against the flywheel teeth. This will stop the engine from turning. You may need to hold it in place though.

With the screwdriver in place, give a heave on your breaker bar (preferably a long one, eg a meter or more) and it should come apart easy as.

I learnt this technique a few years ago, when cars were built stronger, and this was a fairly common method used by qualified mechanics, and is a bit friendlier than the starter method. As long as the screwdriver is a good one, you wont damage anything. Cheap ones will burr the teeth, or worse still, snap, so you have to take the g box off to retrieve the bits.
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: Getting the Crank Pulley Off (with complication) Mon, 04 July 2005 07:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
With the filter wrench you will need to whack the breaker bar with a mallet or something to crack the bolt as your average "mate" will not have the strength to hold on to the filter remover whilst you are hanging from the breaker bar... that is unless all your mates are mauri or something.
inertia
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Getting the Crank Pulley Off (with complication) Tue, 05 July 2005 09:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think we had to put the car in 4th gear when cracking the crank pulley bolt and someone with their hoof on the brakes.

As stated a large extension makes light work of these situations, provided the socket and breaker bar are of good quality.
improvedae86
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Getting the Crank Pulley Off (with complication) Tue, 05 July 2005 10:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Has anyone ever tryed applying heat to the pulley , or using some wd40 etc ? Also when you get the pulley off if you snapped a hardened bolt off in it you might need to drill it out with a hardened drill bit , and use a easy out . If you break off the easy out in the drill hole you will need to drill this out with a very hardened drill bit , ie concrete bit in a drill press . Failing that you need another pulley . The starter motor way is very good if the breaker bar is well places so not to go flying though the air .
EvilJack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2002

Re: Getting the Crank Pulley Off (with complication) Tue, 05 July 2005 11:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my old 1ggte had a bugger of a crank pulley and the only way to get it off was to use a power bar (i tried to apply heat and even rattle gun it off without any luck)

power bar is basicly a big extension bar with a socket on one end and a big flat surface area on the other to use a big hammer with.

3 hits with hammer and it was off
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Getting the Crank Pulley Off (with complication) Tue, 05 July 2005 12:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrUZsida wrote on Sun, 03 July 2005 22:49

do not EVER try to do this to a Honduh FWD Wink
you have been warned Very Happy
xpimp
Regular

January 2003

Re: Getting the Crank Pulley Off (with complication) Wed, 06 July 2005 03:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LOL thanks guys...

tonights looking really good to try the starter method Smile its even nice weather for once.

Will let you know how it goes.
davedave
Forums Junkie

October 2003

Re: Getting the Crank Pulley Off (with complication) Wed, 06 July 2005 03:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oldcorollas wrote on Tue, 05 July 2005 22:24

CrUZsida wrote on Sun, 03 July 2005 22:49

do not EVER try to do this to a Honduh FWD Wink
you have been warned Very Happy

Is that just because the motors spin the wrong way, or is there something else I'm not aware of
cannonball
Forums Junkie

July 2004
Re: Getting the Crank Pulley Off (with complication) Wed, 06 July 2005 06:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I could imagine a large iron bar being flung around in the engine bay wouldnt be pretty Laughing
xpimp
Regular

January 2003

Re: Getting the Crank Pulley Off (with complication) Wed, 06 July 2005 12:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ummm .... I think the heads f#^Ked

The starter motor idea didnt work, after trying numerous times and it going click it eventually went twice. The last time just after we put the breaker on the head fully it stripped it to pieces.

http://users.tpg.com.au/stuartlt/crank-bolt.jpg

Any ideas now? What would happen if I took an angle grinder to the bolt head? Would I be able to easy out the crank pulley bolt... or is it locktighted?

[Updated on: Wed, 06 July 2005 12:33]

inertia
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Getting the Crank Pulley Off (with complication) Wed, 06 July 2005 12:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Xpimp,

That bolt does look fucked... I had a similar situation with another bolt, luckily a sacrificial socket presented itstelf and was hammered onto the bolt, bolt undone and thrown in bin with socket still firmly attached.

Could you please pm me who did the Engineering on your rolla?

Cheers mate,
Ben Wilson
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Getting the Crank Pulley Off (with complication) Wed, 06 July 2005 22:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A sarificial socket may be the go here, if not, an angle grinder should do it (it will suck though).
xpimp
Regular

January 2003

Re: Getting the Crank Pulley Off (with complication) Thu, 07 July 2005 01:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The only worry i have with the angle grinder is that once the head of the bolt is sheared off if i cant get enough grip it will be permanently attached to the crank :/

However I have seen it done once before, and the crank pulley bolt just undid by hand after the force of holding the pulley on was released.

justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Getting the Crank Pulley Off (with complication) Thu, 07 July 2005 02:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That looks like the result of a poor quality socket or most likely a socket that isn't a perfect fit. The starter motor trick should take about 10 seconds including positioning the breaker bar and walking over to the ignition.

I'm voting sacrificial socket, and now you have to get a new bolt.

[Updated on: Thu, 07 July 2005 02:24]

justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Getting the Crank Pulley Off (with complication) Thu, 07 July 2005 02:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As for the angle grinder dude, they don't mean removing the head, just making the sides flat. Due to the position of it and the shape of the pulley, i'd just be using the socket trick.
xpimp
Regular

January 2003

Re: Getting the Crank Pulley Off (with complication) Sun, 10 July 2005 08:28 Go to previous message
XPimP 1... Bastard Crank Bolt 0...

After using the oxy and drilling+tapping the snapped off bolt (could not get in centre, so its now a harmonic unbalancer) its finally off.

http://users.tpg.com.au/stuartlt/crank.jpg
http://users.tpg.com.au/stuartlt/crank-pulley-unbalanced.jpg
http://users.tpg.com.au/stuartlt/pulley-tapped.jog

Now to find another pulley + bolt... hmmmm
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:MA70 - 1JZ heater problem
Next Topic:Setting up 2tg carbs, the basics?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 5 17:22:25 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.005836009979248 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.