Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Big T
Forums Junkie

September 2004
4agte TVIS removal/disabling Sun, 03 July 2005 10:08 Go to next message
Hey all. Well i'm trying to work out how to go about removing the TVIS from my 4age in preparation for the head to be port matched but im having a bit of difficulty in choosing which way to go for.
From the searching i've done (YES i did search Razz ), it seems i have 1 of 3 options.

1. Remove the entire butterfly plate and replace it with a spacer (More machining Rolling Eyes )

2. Just remove the plate and bolt the manifold directly onto the head with gaskets and gasket sealant

3. Keep the plate and just remove the butterflies

Can anyone comment on what they've done to get rid of the TVIS? Just leaving it in as is is NOT an option either (i know 1ggte's had them stock) because i'll be running 272 degree cams making them more of a hinderance than a help anyways.

I need to take the manifold on tuesday to get it port matched so i need an answer kinda quick. Thanks guys!

Eddie.
  Send a private message to this user    
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 4agte TVIS removal/disabling Sun, 03 July 2005 10:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have done both 2 & 3.

with my 1st 4agte (4agze based) i removed the t-vis plate and used the gasket that goes either side of it sandwiched together and bolted the inlet manifold on.

on the current 4agte (4age based) i have used the t-vis plate, but removed the butterfly plates and center rod/s and used some JB weld to block the center holes the rod went through.
Big T
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: 4agte TVIS removal/disabling Sun, 03 July 2005 11:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for that. Do you just cut rod and the butterflies fall out or is there something more complex to it? Ever think of cutting out the centre part between the 2 holes in the one port on the tvis plate? Wouldn't this be better?

Eddie.
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 4agte TVIS removal/disabling Sun, 03 July 2005 11:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
there are 2 small screws on each butterly plate, undo them and the butterfly plates fall off the rod/s. by memory (its was ages ago when i did it) there was a small circlip/s that held the rod into the 2 halves of the t-vis plate.

Quote:

Ever think of cutting out the centre part between the 2 holes in the one port on the tvis plate? Wouldn't this be better?

good point. i spose getting to it with a die grinder and taking out the center section where the butterfly plates where would have to benifit air flow i would think. not something i did, i didnt have a die grinder when i did it.
Big T
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: 4agte TVIS removal/disabling Sun, 03 July 2005 12:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Are there any downsides to just bolting the manifold straight onto the head? This is by far the easiest method as far as i can see.

Eddie.

Edit: I remember reading something about the manifold studs being too long. Is it worth the hassle of boring out the TVIS plate rather than getting appropriate studs?

[Updated on: Sun, 03 July 2005 12:10]

feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 4agte TVIS removal/disabling Sun, 03 July 2005 12:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mine ran fine bolted straight up, though i used both gaskets from either side of the t-vis plate as it looked to me there was small air gaps where the round ports of the inlet manifold dipped in the middle of the oval ports on the head.

the bolts/studs on the 4agze head are too short for the 4age inlet manifold w/t-vis plate. one of main reasons why i just bolted it straight up with the 2 gaskets together w/out the t-vis plate. i was too lazy to try and get the 2 end studs from my 4age head, i did have to use some washers though.

adavy84
Regular

February 2003

Re: 4agte TVIS removal/disabling Mon, 04 July 2005 10:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey.

I have just come apon this problem too after getting my bigport head. I can see just a really small gap..

Anyway does anyone know the part number for the 2 gaskets i need? or the name?

Thanks.
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 4agte TVIS removal/disabling Mon, 04 July 2005 11:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i work in spare parts and couldnt source it, they all had smallport inlet gaskets. the first time i reused the original gaskets that i pulled off my 4age (sprayed them with Hylomar).
when i went to get a new one i had to get it from toyota, cant remember the part # though sorry.
Big T
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: 4agte TVIS removal/disabling Mon, 04 July 2005 15:17 Go to previous message
Manifold to TVIS: 17171-16011
TVIS to head: 17177-16011

Eddie.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Do u know what time a stock 4age 20v would do the 1/4 mile in and
Next Topic:4age
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 15:44:55 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0064680576324463 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.