Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » JA-61 Budget ...how's this look folks??

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Celia-Sue
Forums Junkie

October 2002
icon5.gif  JA-61 Budget ...how's this look folks?? Sat, 11 January 2003 16:06 Go to next message

OK, It's still a way off. But God, the Bank & the Taxman willing and if the creek don't rise, I'm going to have a go at dropping a VVTi 1JZ into the MA-61 later this year. I'm aiming for around 300rwhp for starters (so please save any super-expensive extras for the wish list, thanks - Saard Injectors?). I've deliberately over-estimated the stuff I'm not sure of - and sure that everything will cost more than planned as will the stuff I haven't thought of yet!

VVTi 1JZ-GTE ex-Chaser half-cut $5,000
& auto box (freighted to Perth)
3" straight thr exhaust & dump-pire $1,400
RRFPR $300
Aftermarket ECU (Autronic maybe?) $2,000
Driveshaft mods $300
Engine mounts $400
Bosch Fuel pump $500
Guages $300
IC $1,000

Total for parts $11,200

Then, labour on:
Plumbing the Ct26
Fitting Chaser guages into Supra dash

I'll try running the old Supra diff and the Chaser radiator. Suspension upgrade is underway. I've got slotted DBA rotors and Metalking pads allready - tho I think I'm gonna need an extra piston pushing them. Any ideas on pricing guys?

What have I forgotten? I'm going to be up to my eyeballs in debt for a long time, so I want to get this RIGHT. Whatcha thunk?

- Justin

Send a private message to this user    
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: JA-61 Budget ...how's this look folks?? Sat, 11 January 2003 22:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sounds really nice!

Umm does the 1J computer controll the auto trans?....I think it does so you will need to get an aftermarket one that can take care of this right? ( = more $$$??). The cost of wiring, or are you undertaking that task?

Auto trans cooler (apperently the 1J's need one if you want to push them hard). Not sure on the price?

Add another $100 for fluids (oil, filter, coolant, trans fluid), and maybe budget on a timing belt (but with a late model vvti 1J it shouldn't have done that many k's, still I think this is a lot easier to do out of the car if it has done a few k's...)

Some of the 1J guys who have done conversions will be able to help you out more Smile

Cheers
Wilbo

Remedy
Regular

August 2002

Re: JA-61 Budget ...how's this look folks?? Sun, 12 January 2003 01:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wilbo is correct. You need the 1j computer to run the auto.

If your getting a half cut with the factory computer included, why not run it?

If you latter upgrade to a 5 speed then go after market computer.

If you can pick a VVTi 1JZ half cut up for $5000 delivered you've done well, you may need to budget more. Especially since it won't be the easiest thing to find, you'll pretty much have to pay whatever they want.

If you get a half cut, possibly the brakes from it can be fitted to your car?
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: JA-61 Budget ...how's this look folks?? Sun, 12 January 2003 01:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I can get you a microtech ecu fairly cheaply (an mtx12 for example) if you're after an aftermarket ecu.

$1000 for a FMIC may not be enough, considering plumbing etc (depends how good you want it)

and $400 for engine mounts... well, I have a set right here in my garage I could give to you for that, although i have a potential buyer already
SUPRAGTE
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: JA-61 Budget ...how's this look folks?? Sun, 12 January 2003 03:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I wouldn't bother with the auto, put a 5speed in and an aftermarket ECU straight away.

Personally i'd get an MTX12 and wire the engine with the supplied loom it comes with and when you lower the engine in just put the ECU end of the loom through the firewall. Thats the best way to wire an MA61 engine transplant. You dont get the hassles of the factory ECU running in limp mode and you get the added instant power increase with the tuning in the MTX12 and take the best advantage of the engine performance parts you are putting on like the IC and large exhaust which the factory ECU wont take full advantage of.

Also, how are the slotted rotors on your MA61? Work well,how much?

I didn't know you could run metal pads with slotted rotors, thought you run the risk of smashing the disc?? Yours ok, cause i def need to upgrade my stock braking setup.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: JA-61 Budget ...how's this look folks?? Sun, 12 January 2003 06:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Where in Perth do you live?
Celia-Sue
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: JA-61 Budget ...how's this look folks?? Sun, 12 January 2003 07:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Wow, thanks guys!

This is just a working budget for the hardware. I'll try to do as much of the labour myself as I can - but will probably end-up forking out more of the folding polymer for plumbing the IC and wiring in the ECU ... and any other stuff which stumps me when I get into it!

I figured I'd start with the autobox supplied with the halfcut, brcause: It fits in the MA61 tunnel no worries (thanks Norbie!) The alternative of using a combo of w58 bits sounds hard and expensive. The auto should be easier on the diff while I decide if it needs upgrading. No doubt, I'll end up switching to stick, but I'll probably start with the auto.

I figured I'd go with the aftermarket ECU because: it sounds easier to wire-up and it will better handle the extra power (and won't have any bloody speed or rev limiters!). The 1JZ ECU sounds very hi-tech - will the MTX-12 handle the 2 knock sensors? If I go aftermarket ECU, what should I use to run the autobox (stock ECU or something else)?

DRaven - thanks for the offer on the engine mounts. As I said, this whole project is still a ways off. If you still have the mounts in a few months, I'd be very interested.

I'm currently upgrading the suspension. Might order the US made LJM strut bar. Has anyone in Oz had one made up for themselves locally? Would that be cheaper?

Supra GTE: Slotted rotors make a nice improvement. Not earth-shattering, but definitely noticable. No worries running them with metal pads, but you really should run them in with standard pads for the first 5K km's. I didn't tho - pads and rotors both needed replacing and didn't want to buy pads just for 5K kms. Working OK so far.

Frank: I'm in Mt Hawthorn. Lemme know if you want to hook up some day. I'd love to have a look at your GA-61. We should do a WA Mk2 cruise sometime.

Anyways, thanks for the help and advice folks. I seem to spend most of my waking hours dreaming of a VVTi JA-61. Anyone see the HPI magazine review of the 1JZ's? There's a beautiful VVTi Chaser getting an easy 440kW at the flywheel. Mmmmmm ....

Justin
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: JA-61 Budget ...how's this look folks?? Sun, 12 January 2003 10:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sounds real nice, and I'm glad you've actually come on here and asked some really useful questions too.
We should definetly catch up for a cruise when our cars are finished, have you been here as well? http://club.supratt.tk
SUPRAGTE
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: JA-61 Budget ...how's this look folks?? Sun, 12 January 2003 11:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The knock sensors on the 1J are only used in closed loop mode for cruising and light throttle applications where you don't produce any power anyways. So you dont hook them up to the MTX.

I'm not that familiar with the 1J auto, there's the factory Auto ECU to run that but it would still somehow need too monitor the engine's RPM to know when to shift gears cause its electronic.

humble
Regular

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: JA-61 Budget ...how's this look folks?? Tue, 14 January 2003 06:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Err, did you say VVT-i? You have to make sure you are getting an after market ECU that can control VVT-i then (basically, you need an analog output and the software should be able to control it based on the RPM/throttle position etc.).

Cheers
chaserguy
Newcomer

September 2004
Re: JA-61 Budget ...how's this look folks?? Mon, 20 September 2004 11:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am new here, but I could help you out on this. I was just doing a search on my motor when I came across this forum post. If you have the stock computer out of the Chaser it will control everything, auto or manual. They are different computers though. If you have an auto mission and have a manual computer you will have to manually shift your gears with the auto stick....i.e. from 1st to 2nd to 3rd and drive. I dont know where you are at on the project, but if you have anymore questions just e-mail me and I will help out with what I can.
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: JA-61 Budget ...how's this look folks?? Mon, 20 September 2004 13:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Can I make a suggestion? Forget the slotted rotors etc., instead fit Skyline brakes - easy to fit, and cheap!
jackel
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: JA-61 Budget ...how's this look folks?? Mon, 20 September 2004 15:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lol this thread is over 1 year old and justin already has the 1jz in Very Happy
chaserguy
Newcomer

September 2004
Re: JA-61 Budget ...how's this look folks?? Tue, 21 September 2004 10:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how does he like it?
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: JA-61 Budget ...how's this look folks?? Tue, 21 September 2004 21:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
from last reports, he likes it a lot Smile

I think he went non VVTi and manual though, with Haltech ECU.
Celia-Sue
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: JA-61 Budget ...how's this look folks?? Wed, 22 September 2004 03:35 Go to previous message

He likes it a lot Very Happy

Wow, this post is a blast from the past .. and a bit of a chuckle. Rolling Eyes

I ended-up using a JZX90 Chaser half-cut (not recommended) in excellent condition, with a manual W58 and 9 puck clutch. And a Haltech E6X (very recommended for 1G, 1J or 2Js) with boost solenoid, FMIC, 3" exhaust with 2 resonators (no dumps yet). Brakes are still slotted rotors and Greenstuff pads. I have a Truetrak diff centre ready to go into a 3.7, though I'm still running the stock 4.1LSD.

There are a few people using the VVTi 1JZ's in conversions now - at the time, I couldn't find one at a reasonable price.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Engineer Cert
Next Topic:ta23 questions
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 14 21:06:34 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0048871040344238 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.