Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
VeeP
Regular

May 2005
Advancing ignition timing - 1G Sun, 29 May 2005 15:11 Go to next message

Hey all,

i want to advance the ignition timing on my GZ20 turbo. Iv never done this before. I have no idea what i need except for a timing lamp - and i dont even know what to do with it. Im fairly mechanically minded but i just dont know whats involved with this particular adjustment.
Could somebody please give me a short description of what to do, and how far its safe for a stock (except for air filter) 1g-gte (3rd gen i think) to advance ignition timing?
  Send a private message to this user    
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: Advancing ignition timing - 1G Sun, 29 May 2005 17:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Given your lack of mechanical experience, and the fact the motor runs a knock sensor, it's hard to determine where you can safely advance the timing to. Advancing the timing is simply a matter of loosening the bolt that holds the dizzy in place and rotating the dizzy to move the timing light mark up or down the scale (advance or retard the timing). A general rule of thumb is advance the timing till the engine starts to ping under load (ie road test) and then back it off a little, BUT, with your knock sensor working to eliminate pinging and detonation - you will probably never know where that point is, as the computer will sense it and retard the dizzy as a safety precaution - which will also lose power in the process.
kwayzivietnamese
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: Advancing ignition timing - 1G Sun, 29 May 2005 18:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Do all cars have knock sensors?
More specifically, ae93 sx's?
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: Advancing ignition timing - 1G Sun, 29 May 2005 22:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Assuming your car has a 100kw smallport 4AGE motor, and is still running the standard computer - yes, it will also have one.
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Advancing ignition timing - 1G Sun, 29 May 2005 23:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've heard most people report that the 1G "feels" better and more powerful with the factory timing.
VeeP
Regular

May 2005
Re: Advancing ignition timing - 1G Mon, 30 May 2005 03:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

. . . .Is it possible to disconnect the Det Sensor without the ECU giving error codes? I know that det sensors become quite ineffective once the motor starts revving past 3000rpm or so. I didnt realize that advancing ignition timing just meant rotating the distrubtor - iv done it on my old van a few times. How does the computer adjust ignition timing - as in, is it a physical system that rotates the distrubutor when pulses are sent from the ECU?
The ECU retards ignition just before shifting (auto box), through disconnecting the ECU control to the distributor, this will prevent the timing from retarding for sure, yes?

Also, is the transmission electronically controlled? the throttle position sensor works off a cable connected to the TB, but i was wondering whether it was possible to electronically increase line pressure?
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Advancing ignition timing - 1G Mon, 30 May 2005 03:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The ECU does it electronical by delaying the signal to send the spark.

All you do by moving the dizzy is setting the base timing.
Make sure the diagnostics box TE1 and E1 and jumped while doing this.
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Advancing ignition timing - 1G Mon, 30 May 2005 03:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Disconnecting the distributor wiring would be a little silly. It'd be a fairly fruitless effort trying to trick the ecu into doing things - an aftermarket ecu however would be perfect for the job Razz
VeeP
Regular

May 2005
Re: Advancing ignition timing - 1G Mon, 30 May 2005 03:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Why must i connect E1 and TE1 in the diagnostics box? btw, that small box is FULL of grease, so much so that i cant see the metal connections - is this how its suppose to be ?!?!?!?!?!

Is the det sensor that litlle green connector directly underneath the distributor?
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Advancing ignition timing - 1G Mon, 30 May 2005 03:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You need to do it to set the base timing.

And yes, its supposed to be full of grease so that dirt doesnt get in it and bridge terminals while you are driving.
stradlater
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Advancing ignition timing - 1G Mon, 30 May 2005 03:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
But I've advanced mine and it's much stronger than the stock ignition timing? What's going on, why can I run 20 degrees advance on boost?

hehehe hehehe hehehe hehehe hehehe hehehe hehehe
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Advancing ignition timing - 1G Mon, 30 May 2005 04:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Laughing Laughing

Play with the timing on a dyno, see what results you get, then set it back to normal and play with the mixtures using an interceptor, and then see much nicer gains!
Crossy
Regular

April 2003
Re: Advancing ignition timing - 1G Tue, 05 July 2005 04:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
having timeing issues with my 1G

my Diag plug only has an E1 pin... there is no TE1 pin

only other ones are
Fp
E1
Cco
T
+B
Vf
Ox
E2
Tem
Ect
Ig-

ne ideas which ones i have to short to do the timeing
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: Advancing ignition timing - 1G Tue, 05 July 2005 04:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Crossy wrote on Tue, 05 July 2005 14:36

having timeing issues with my 1G

my Diag plug only has an E1 pin... there is no TE1 pin

only other ones are
Fp
E1
Cco
T
+B
Vf
Ox
E2
Tem
Ect
Ig-

ne ideas which ones i have to short to do the timeing

I noticed that too. SO I assumed it was meant T and E1.

However, I'd love to know for sure Wink
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Advancing ignition timing - 1G Tue, 05 July 2005 05:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It varies from Car to Car

T = TE1

So between the T (or TE1) and E1 (or just E)
chrishulbert
Regular

March 2003
Re: Advancing ignition timing - 1G Tue, 05 July 2005 06:03 Go to previous message
stradlater wrote on Mon, 30 May 2005 13:54

But I've advanced mine and it's much stronger than the stock ignition timing? What's going on, why can I run 20 degrees advance on boost?

hehehe hehehe hehehe hehehe hehehe hehehe hehehe

Are you poking fun at us because you've got LPG ? Laughing
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:What would it take to get a 20v to 100rwkw?
Next Topic:3sge > 3sgte conversion - is it really worth it?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 7 12:35:24 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0056869983673096 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.