Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 6MGE fouling plugs?... STILL NEED HELP

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
bexi
Regular

May 2002

6MGE fouling plugs?... STILL NEED HELP Tue, 05 July 2005 14:15 Go to next message
hey all i've just bought a car that has had a conversion and is running a 6MGE motor. when i went to look at it, it wouldn't start... after alot of stuffing round i checked the plugs and they were very badly fouled and pretty much not sparking at all. (they were black). we put new plugs in and it fired straight up and i drove the car from wollongong back to sydney no worries apart from having to adjust the idle coz the owner was fiddling with who knows what before i found that the spark plugs were the fault.
anyway, i've just gone to drive the car again tonight and the brand new plugs have badly fouled up again.
i know that alot of M series motors have troubles with head gaskets but if this has blown a head gasket it will have had to hav blown between an oil gallery and cylinder as the water in the system is clean. next thing is that if the head gasket has blown between an oil gallery and cylinder, wouldn't my car be blowing a crap load of blue smoke?? (it is blowing no smoke by the way)
the plugs i am running in it are the same as those out of a 7MGE.
when i bought the car my mate said it was blowing a fair bit of black smoke when i gave it a bit of stick (he was driving behind me)
so i guess that's a possibility that the motor is running extremely rich and fouling the plugs??
if this is the case, how can it be rectified?? isn't the mixture all electronically controlled??

anyway if anyone can help me with this it would be greatly appreciated
thanks
bexi

[Updated on: Sat, 09 July 2005 10:19]

Send a private message to this user    
hamgatan
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: 6MGE fouling plugs? Tue, 05 July 2005 14:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
define fouled up..as in coated with oil? or carbon?

Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 6MGE fouling plugs? Tue, 05 July 2005 23:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Black smoke = rich = fouled plugs. The EFI system on the early M series engines is pretty crude, it's basically an electronic carbeurettor. If it gets out of adjustment the mixtures can do just about anything, but the good news is it's relatively easy to adjust by fiddling with the airflow meter. Chances are someone has done this already and that's why it's running like crap now.

Anyway, take it to a shop with a dyno and a gas analyzer and you should be able to get the mixtures back to factory spec.
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 6MGE fouling plugs? Wed, 06 July 2005 00:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It might be worth chatting to the previous owner to find out what he did. What EFI system is the 6MGE running on - 5ME, 5MGE (analogue or digital) or a bona fide 6MGE loom and ECU? This may all be helpful information. Has anyone played with the AFM? Did anyone use a different water temp sensor? Try disconnecting the cold start injector and see if that improves things (maybe it is stuck on?). Are the plugs you are using the correct heat range for the 6MGE? So many things that it could be it is impossible to diagnose these things over the intraweb.

I point to Norbie's answer. I would also recommend using conventional plugs (rather than platinums) but with a V groove once the mixture issue has been sorted.
bexi
Regular

May 2002

Re: 6MGE fouling plugs? Fri, 08 July 2005 15:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It might be worth chatting to the previous owner to find out what he did. What EFI system is the 6MGE running on - 5ME, 5MGE (analogue or digital) or a bona fide 6MGE loom and ECU? This may all be helpful information. Has anyone played with the AFM? Did anyone use a different water temp sensor? Try disconnecting the cold start injector and see if that improves things (maybe it is stuck on?). Are the plugs you are using the correct heat range for the 6MGE? So many things that it could be it is impossible to diagnose these things over the intraweb.

I point to Norbie's answer. I would also recommend using conventional plugs (rather than platinums) but with a V groove once the mixture issue has been sorted

yeah original owner's got no idea about anything... i fixed the car for him when i was looking at it and it wouldn't start.

how can i find out what efi system it's running? The computer is mounted in a compartment behind one of the seats, is it written on the computer?

i'm using BCPR6ES NGK plugs (they didn't have the V grooves in stock)

how do i disconnect the cold start injector?

if someone has played with the AFM adjustments, is it like a mixture screw or more like a TPS adjustment?
if it's an air mixture screw type of thing, is there a factory setting that i can adjust it to?

thanks in advance
bexi
bexi
Regular

May 2002

Re: 6MGE fouling plugs? help still needed Sat, 09 July 2005 10:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey just thought i'd ad an update and hopefully stillget some help
changed air filter today, old one wasn't too bad tho.
put new plugs in again and started up and ran well. i've disconnected thew cold start circuit and blocked hoses accordingly.
found a new fault that may be related to the foulding of plugs that hopefully someone is familiar to....

if i slowly bring the revs up in the car to about 2500rpm, it get's the big miss and jumps between 2500 and 2000rpm. so if i just hold my foot on the accelerator at what would be 2500rpm, it continually jumps between 2000 and 2500. and no it's not the tacho jumping it's the motor changing revs between 2000 and 2500rpm. it's like someone reving the motor up to 2500 from 2000rpm repeatidly in perfect timing (just to try and explain)

any more help would be greatly appreciated... it's be good if i dond't have to fork out big bucks to get it dyno'd and solved and the car is unregistered at the moment too.

i've discovered that it is running a 5me dizzy but couldn't see what sort of ecu it is.

this miss that i am describing is strange because if you actually drive the car or simply give it a good rev, it runs perfect and you notice nothing. you can rev it straight through the stutter/miss if you are not revving slowly. i couldn't actually get the car to miss at all when i was driving it up the street today. it ran perfect (of course until the plugs will fail in another 300kms or so)

please help
thanks
bexi
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 6MGE fouling plugs?... STILL NEED HELP Sat, 09 July 2005 10:31 Go to previous message
sounds like a 5m-e ecu!get some photos up here
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Whats needed for turbo 4AGZE
Next Topic:half cut, front cut, or eng and g box?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 08:43:51 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0041968822479248 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.