Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
ripfast
Regular

June 2005
diff for 1jz Wed, 06 July 2005 11:51 Go to next message
whats the best diff ratio to use for a manual 1jz. it is in a commodore. so it is a bit hard to get anything over 3.45, will this be alright or should i look at 3.9 ????
  Send a private message to this user    
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: diff for 1jz Wed, 06 July 2005 22:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
best for what? street/drag/drift/circuit?
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: diff for 1jz Wed, 06 July 2005 23:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What diff do you have, salisbury, borg warner?
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: diff for 1jz Thu, 07 July 2005 02:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mine has something along the lines of a 4.3/4.5 im not quite sure but goddamn in the hills it is awesome, I can sit inbetween third and fourth going up clarendon road where others have to use second as it pulls hard even at lower speed, disadvantages are 1st and 2nd gear can be quite useless for dragging unless you have some very very sticky tyres on the rear Sad
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: diff for 1jz Thu, 07 July 2005 03:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have 4.6:1 but mine is purely for drag racing. I just hope I can make boost in 1st.
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: diff for 1jz Thu, 07 July 2005 09:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You have a few options. I'm guessing that from your pic, you have a VK. You have a few choices:

*Bogwarmer 4 pinion, 28 spline - don't bother with the 2 pinion, 25 spline one. You can get gears up to 4.11 for these, and I'd suggest that 3.889 or 4.11 would both work well for what you want. Word of warning though - both these gearsets tend to be noisy, although they are reasonably strong (as are the axles), and will make noise for years without doing anything other than annoying you. You then have a few LSD choices - the standard shredder (cone) type, which tends to have an appetite for parts/servicing if you want it to keep working at all, the viscous type ones, which again seem quite killable with a bit of brutality (although maybe adding an oil cooler would prolong their life?), or something aftermarket. Aftermarket options include KAAZ (not cheap, but quite good), various switchable lockers, spools, and a few others. This is obviously the easiest option.

*Nine inch - every diff shop in Australia has been doing nine inch conversions for every Holden for 40 years. There's a reasonable choice of gearsets, axle sizes, LSDs, you name it. You can also get lighter weight internals (aluminium etc.) to cut down on the weight issue somewhat. In fact, if you like to pay for it, you can probably get anything you want to suit a nine inch

*Toyota G diff - from a Hllux, Hiace, etc. - enough has been said on here about them over the years, suffice to say that there's plenty of gearsets, LSDs etc. available for them.

*Various other commercial vehicles have stuff to offer as well

There's a few ideas to get you started.
ripfast
Regular

June 2005
Re: diff for 1jz Thu, 07 July 2005 12:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cheers for all the info guys, yeah it is a VK with borg warner 3.08 ratio at the moment. It is mainly for street driving but i still wanna be quick over the quarter. i was thinking bout 3.9 at first was looking at LSD but cost might keep me to single spinner. i wanna do the diff for under 1000 if i can. I'm pretty sure that 3.45 is about highest you can get for em from a VL but i dunno apparetnly skyline centres will fitt 3.89 so i dunno, how much they would cost to fit.
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: diff for 1jz Thu, 07 July 2005 12:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
$1000 should get you a rebuilt shredder LSD, some 3.889s from an R31 (they may be noisy getting them lapped may help, otherwise you can get new ones for extra Smiley $$, 28 spline axles, new bearings, etc.
ripfast
Regular

June 2005
Re: diff for 1jz Mon, 18 July 2005 12:18 Go to previous message
i picked up a 10 bolt salisbury holden diff with lsd that was rebuilt 6 months ago with 4.44 gears. for 750 with spare axles and tailshaft. rebuilt at boss differentials. guy there explained exactly what he did to it and was a great help. project takes another step forward
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:has it been done v6 in ta22
Next Topic:1GGTE wiring diagrams, and other bits
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 02:10:32 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0065219402313232 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.