Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
bubbles
Forums Junkie

Banned user

March 2004
Re: Martial Arts Sat, 02 July 2005 12:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anyone tried capoeira?
  Send a private message to this user    
no_tofu_speed
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Jab what?!!?!
Re: Martial Arts Sat, 02 July 2005 14:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yea I wanna get one of those big collection of some of the shaw brothers old fliks. Shaolin/Wu-Tang stuff hehe
bunkyT18
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: Martial Arts Mon, 04 July 2005 00:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Personal preference for me would have to be Wing Chun Kung Fu, through the lineage of Wong Shun Long. Can't be beaten for a scientific style that uses the physics of the human body. Even slightly built people can really develop some power. No "Tiger style or Crane Style" Monkey magic stuff. I'm not against the animal styles (Did Choy lay fut for years) but it's confusing enough learning for people without getting into the mystic sides of things.
Malicia
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Martial Arts Mon, 04 July 2005 14:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bubbles wrote on Sat, 02 July 2005 22:11

Anyone tried capoeira?

Very Happy I have Very Happy
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Martial Arts Mon, 04 July 2005 16:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My only beef with Wing Chun is that it's not a hard enough work out - but it's definitely worth a dabble.
no_tofu_speed
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Jab what?!!?!
Re: Martial Arts Tue, 05 July 2005 01:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RWDboy wrote on Tue, 05 July 2005 02:12

My only beef with Wing Chun is that it's not a hard enough work out - but it's definitely worth a dabble.

True true. Training wise, but in a conflict situation the least energy used is the best bet of course... Wing Chun is ultimate street fighting shit... only weakness of it is if you somehow manage to get them on the ground.
bunkyT18
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: Martial Arts Tue, 05 July 2005 03:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wing Chun does have ground fighting, but you are not going to get any training in this area until much later along in the training, depending on which 'style' of wing chun you do. Also, Wing Chun has about 4 different 'lineages' and they all differ in their approaches. My own experience of Wing chun was with a teacher who prioritised basic self defence including being on the ground. Nothing like being set upon by up to 6 people whose sole aim is to get you down on the ground and sit on you. And that was just the training lol.
no_tofu_speed
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Jab what?!!?!
Re: Martial Arts Tue, 05 July 2005 08:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hahaha sounds fun.
Never came across any information on wing chun ground techniques.
Still have interest in it, but was overinterested in it while officially training until my sifu passed away. Never trained again because other places were never the same in training format/content. Mine was Tsui Seung Tin lineage. Have greatest respect for Wong Sheung Leung though... one of my sifu's best friends is an instructor as well, taught by Barry Lee.
bunkyT18
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: Martial Arts Wed, 06 July 2005 05:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lol, the Wing Chun Clan aint nuthin ta fuck with...

anybody heard of a guy called Emin Bozteppe? He's originally a turk or egyptian fullah. This bloke has to be one of the tuffest Wing Chun/Ving Tsun baddies around. I saw some home vid footage of him absolutely belting William Cheung in a challenge fight. I think he was in his mid teens when this happened. Admittedly from what a certain person who was there said, It went pretty much like, 'I challenge you'
'ok then'

and belt belt bash straight into it, no stand and bow just belting. William Cheung is an old man too so not too fair...

I dunno.

Bozteppe made his name in the all contact German fight scene
no_tofu_speed
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Jab what?!!?!
Re: Martial Arts Wed, 06 July 2005 07:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ah yea Emin is a hard knuckle in general.... Use to be on kazaa, there is also a vid floatng around of him doing some studio demonstrations... He is just the type of dude who is "a fighter" fullstop. William was old then but not as old as he is now hehe.
dlwd3w
Regular

May 2003
Re: Martial Arts Thu, 07 July 2005 04:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I do iaido... though I don't carry japanese swords into clubs and pubs... Sad

If theres any confusion with japanese history, I can probably clear it up
no_tofu_speed
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Jab what?!!?!
Re: Martial Arts Thu, 07 July 2005 09:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I was doing iaido for while too, was joint ot the uni kendo club, but it dies because of lack of interest. Gave myself a good stab in the hand performing noto... It sucked because my hand was leaking everywhere afterwards, so I couldnt put on the kote for kendo and missed out on the fun.
no_tofu_speed
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Jab what?!!?!
Re: Martial Arts Thu, 07 July 2005 09:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What iaito or shinken do you have? Dont suppose by chance you'd have any nihonto? Id luv 2 but too poor...

[Updated on: Thu, 07 July 2005 09:56]

yut_hon
Newcomer

July 2005
Re: Martial Arts Thu, 14 July 2005 01:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

I've been looking for a wushu club in Adelaide and haven't been able to find one, so I was really chuffed to find your message. Where was the club? Can you remember the name and/or address? Even the suburb would help.

I've really want to continue training in wushu (I did a year in Brisbane) and haven't found any clubs here yet.

Any help or advice you can give would be great,

Cheers,
John
BigBadBenny
Regular

May 2002
Re: Martial Arts Thu, 14 July 2005 13:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've done some fighting in the past, and never thought it was that popular, this thread has proved me wronge. So moral of the story is ask what car somebody owns before you pick them, if it's a toyota, run!

Us toyota nuts could start our own army.

Oh and my opinion is if you want to get fit and be street wise, then Boxing and Muay Thai is the way to go and in your spare time when not learning these, get into swimming, bike riding and running.
Benny
dlwd3w
Regular

May 2003
Re: Martial Arts Sun, 17 July 2005 07:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no_tofu_speed wrote on Thu, 07 July 2005 19:53

What iaito or shinken do you have? Dont suppose by chance you'd have any nihonto? Id luv 2 but too poor...

Got a Paul chen folded steel iaito and a few nihonto...
But thats not whats important...
no_tofu_speed
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Jab what?!!?!
Re: Martial Arts Sun, 17 July 2005 10:01 Go to previous message
dlwd3w wrote on Sun, 17 July 2005 17:28

no_tofu_speed wrote on Thu, 07 July 2005 19:53

Got a Paul chen folded steel iaito and a few nihonto...
But thats not whats important...

Oh just curious, Id luv 2 collect japanese swords, just no money, the car eats it up all the time.

What u mean, thats not whats important?
Pages (3): [ «  <  1  2  3]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:this is why we nned pics in our signatures
Next Topic:Geelong Advertiser 7 July - H PLATES - What do yo think?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 09:58:05 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0072360038757324 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.