Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » The Outhouse » Adelaide... tell me about it!

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Adelaide... tell me about it! Fri, 01 July 2005 11:28 Go to next message
Hi,

I'm being flown over to Adelaide next Thursday for a job interview. Assuming we all like each other and I get the job and I accept it, I'll be living in wonderful Adelaide.

So, what's it like? Nice place or a hole?

What's Dulwich like? I'll be working there and probably try and find a small unit around that area.

I'm not sure whether to leave the old girl (hehehehe talking about the car not the wife, though I'll be leaving her behind at least for a while) back in Sydney to sit idle for the next few years (or whatever), or to bring her over to Adelaide.

It'd be sorta cool cruising around the streets of Adelaide in the '25, but I'm still undecided. So, what's the old Toyota scene like over there?

Sadly, this will mean the dudes & dudettes won't see my smiling happy face at the Toymods meetings each month. Also, they'll surely miss my razor wit and aimless babble. Smile

So, about Adelaide... Info.. info... give me info....

seeyuzz
river
  Send a private message to this user    
hamgatan
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Adelaide... tell me about it! Fri, 01 July 2005 11:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
depends what you really are looking for in your lifestyle dude..

i lived in adelaide for 3 years after coming from perth to melbourne (i lived there for a year before moving to adelaide).

in my opinion, i think adelaide is a great place with a kind of peaceful harmony that isnt present in many cities around australia. i liked to call the place a 'crossroads for drifters' because thats pretty much what it is..

the amazing thing about adelaide is that pretty much everybody coexists really well with each other. being from sydney youre probably used to driving through suburbs where one minute you'll see lebos everywhere with their homies, or viets giving u evils as u walk past..

this doesnt happen in adelaide. there arent those kinds of separatist groups around everywhere.. everyones spread out in different areas.. sure you have places that are large viet communities like Arndale.. but theres whiteys scattered in amongst them in large proportions and they coexist well..

adelaide is the only place youll see bikies havin beers with boongs, viets, whiteys with chinese partners, indians with whiteys.. the place is one big interracial orgy. but it rocks hey.. theres a kind of understanding and peace there thats wicked.

and its so well structured.. they keep the lower class white trash bogans limited to the very northern outskirts (salisbury).. and the very southern outskirts (noarlunga)..

when i was there... the car scene was huge, and getting so much bigger. the roads all round the city are fantastic for cruising up (4 lanes). there was a number of large car clubs there too.. i was in the Iblis.. there was CRM, Just Fours, Drift Kingz, god i cant even remember all the teams/clubs..

adelaide pulls some of the best events in the country too.. watch out for Small Car Sunday which usually has about 400 cars in one massive cruise before going on show!

nightlife is decent.. plenty to do.. easy living lifestyle.. go for it! its an experience youll never forget!

$0.02

Chris
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Adelaide... tell me about it! Fri, 01 July 2005 12:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it looked ok when i drove through it on my roadtrip. i didnt get to see the local wildlife though.. Sad

Smile
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Adelaide... tell me about it! Fri, 01 July 2005 13:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
city of churches

i pity you all on sunday...
lang
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Adelaide... tell me about it! Fri, 01 July 2005 13:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i live in dulwich (rent a place with my dad), its about a 4min drive from the center of the city (except peak hour which makes it about 15). its a nice quiet and reasonably desireable area to live, fairly affluent, and a fairly attractive suburb visually.
jonchai
Regular

June 2004
Re: Adelaide... tell me about it! Fri, 01 July 2005 15:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Its not bad man, I personally like big cities..I mean...Kuala Lumpur and Singapore big. so Adelaide is a little small for my liking, but i do like it!! at least you dont have to go for a hike to see a friend 'at the other side of town'. car scene is good, although admittedly, toyota's are a rarity when compared to nissans and rotors. rotors are BIG here!
Yian
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

August 2004
Re: Adelaide... tell me about it! Fri, 01 July 2005 21:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jonchai wrote on Sat, 02 July 2005 01:27

I personally like big cities..I mean...Kuala Lumpur and Singapore big.

You ain't seen nothing yet dude. Guangzhou and Shanghai are BIG. I was born in Kuala Lumpur and nothing prepared me for Guangzhou. It was enormously and utterly massive. Shocked

But yeah, Adelaide, all I know about that place is the bad water Razz
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: Adelaide... tell me about it! Sat, 02 July 2005 00:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmmmm i quite like adealide, after living in brisbane for a year im quite fond of the easy to get around layout of adelaide, it doesnt take an hour to get accross the city block either unlike sydney and brisbane. But yeah imports and rotaries are huge in adelaide for some reason, there are a lot of ae86 enthusiest's also with some other toyota fans scattered around the place.

nightspots are limited here, depends on what you like, theres some awesome little pubs tucked away in the city and then theres your usual teenybopper nighclubs like heaven and church *shudders... going there tonight*

adelaides biggest feature has to be the Hills. theres some wicked towns in the adelaide hills, also with good pubs, the Hahndorf Inn strikes a mention, then theres the roads... the adelaide hills roads are by far the best. and you dont have to travel for ages just to get to them too.

Yain: that was a few (read: 10) years ago mate hahaha, our water is the same as every other state.
hamgatan
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Adelaide... tell me about it! Sat, 02 July 2005 02:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
<<-- what he said

now we condone all misuse of public roads as racetracks and you should obey the road rules at all times..

but.. if you want some fantastic roads to drive down normally and experience the fresh air on.. the descent from mt lofty bac down onto greenhill road tops them all. the drive up mt lofty used to be tops as well before they built that shitty tunnel through the middle of it that makes it a straight journey.but the A1 is still fun.

if youre more toward my age zone (25-30s) theres some awesome late night concept cafes you should be going to

1. elephant walk in melbourne st - north adelaide
2. spatz in king william road (forget the name of the suburb)
3. pancake kitchen tucked in the alley near the start of hindley st in the city

dont leave the wife! do her the honour of driving her down there. its only 10-11 hours drive.. nothing really. you know you want to!

$0.02

Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Adelaide... tell me about it! Sat, 02 July 2005 02:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I like it - love the adelaide hills - very peaceful up there - im regulalry across for sanity breaks and preperation for clossic adelaide

Speaking of which river - you COULD enter the ra25 in Classic adeliade consdering thecars rarity in oz - go in the thoroughbred touring section with us ( me , co driver , perana v8 Capri GT )

Yian
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

August 2004
Re: Adelaide... tell me about it! Sat, 02 July 2005 05:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Simon-AE86 wrote on Sat, 02 July 2005 10:57

Yain: that was a few (read: 10) years ago mate hahaha, our water is the same as every other state.

My mistake Razz Mate of mine from Adelaide was the one that told me...
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Adelaide... tell me about it! Sat, 02 July 2005 06:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
only been to adelaide once but my uncle has lived there for nearly 20 years now, and love the hills infact he lives in them and now getting on in age has matured a bit more plus the larger police presence than befor, but back in the days of radar cameras that took photos of trees he has some very interesting stories to tell of driving.
Owning exotics i think the fastest he hit was 280kmph insane in any peak but he is a little funny.
I envy your hills though there is plenty of nice roads round sydney they are all clogged up by slow arse tourists.
You'd have top take the celica over can't let it sit dorment good cars are ment to be enjoyed not kept in storage.
Evil or Very Mad
ae86dave
Regular

May 2005
Re: Adelaide... tell me about it! Sat, 02 July 2005 08:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey im from salisbury im the only person around here who owns a ae86 not the ultimate vl commodore.....lol and dude adelaide is pretty cosy place heaps of industrial fun Very Happy
celica_cam
Regular

January 2005
Re: Adelaide... tell me about it! Sat, 02 July 2005 13:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah Adelaides pretty nice, heaps of Soarers
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: Adelaide... tell me about it! Sat, 02 July 2005 14:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
celica_cam wrote on Sat, 02 July 2005 23:33

yeah Adelaides pretty nice, heaps of Soarers

Surprised Sad Sad
Arch
Forums Junkie

January 2004

Re: Adelaide... tell me about it! Sat, 02 July 2005 17:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ive lived in adelaide all my life, yet ive been to perth, sydney, melbourne, and i love where i am.

sydney the houses cost too much
melbourne it rains too much
perth is too far away from everything else

i gtg to brisbane to see all the women im told Razz

I easily love adelaide best for its roads, the hills baby THE HILLS. Man you interstaters dont undertstand the hours of fun we have at one time, if you have fuel you can wind through adelaide hills roads ALL NIGHT.

man i wann go for a drive right now...

also no matter where you are in adelaide, you can be in hills in 30 mins, thats because they run all the way from the south, right up to the north east!

i dont wanna sound cocky here, but i rekon there is ALOT of SA talent in driving, and much of it comes down to the practice we have had on our great roads.

GO SA! Wink
soarerchic
Regular

January 2005
Re: Adelaide... tell me about it! Sun, 03 July 2005 09:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What's to tell?? It's cheaper to live than anywhere else, there are beautiful hills and beaches, we have great wine and funky pubs and we have the Crows!!!!
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Adelaide... tell me about it! Sun, 03 July 2005 10:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cheaper to live tell me about, it my uncle has a holiday place in encounter bay 270 degree views of the ocean and it cost like 240k and blocks of land there were selling for like 25K last i herad probably gone up since thne was a couple of years ago.
EnFlaMEd
Regular

September 2003
Re: Adelaide... tell me about it! Sun, 03 July 2005 14:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I love Adelaide I think its a great place to live. With regards to your Celica River, I am sure you would have many people either drooling or spanking off over it if you joined the Classic Celica Club over here and attended some or all of their events. A very nice group of people with absolutely no try hard or hardcore attitude from any of its members. I think you would quite enjoy taking it on leisurely cruises around Adelaide as we have some of the most beautiful roads in the country.

cheers
André
ra23mad
Forums Junkie

September 2003

Re: Adelaide... tell me about it! Mon, 04 July 2005 05:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have to agree with Enflamed re: classic celica club...

very welcoming group there's also the 'toyota car club' which is in the process of starting up....

hills roads are nice....down south is nice (I'm biased)....

the rest of adelaide roads are pretty shizen...bouncy and bumpy and quite a few potholes.

From a people perspective - adelaide is laid back....though some area's suffer from large amounts of 'hoons' (I'm sick of hearing burnouts in macca's friday and saturday nights - piss off out into the country you bums)....

and housing is cheap compared to other major cities Smile

Ribfeast
Forums Junkie

March 2005

Re: Adelaide... tell me about it! Mon, 04 July 2005 07:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I grew up in Adelaide, it was a boring hole when I lived there lol
Haven't been there since I moved in 1995, but my brother went there a few months ago and he says the place has been stuck in a timewarp and hasn't changed since we left. We used to live in Golden Grove, it was a great place to grow up I must admit.
Watch out for sharks Wink
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: Adelaide... tell me about it! Tue, 05 July 2005 11:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how old are you dude? golden grove wasnt around when i was a kid. in fact its only fairly recent. and these days its friggen massive!
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Adelaide... tell me about it! Tue, 05 July 2005 11:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

Thanks for the replies.

I'll let you know if I get the job and maybe see some of you dudes around. So, if you see an RA25, with NSW plates, cruising the streets of Adelaide in the next month or so, then honk your horn and give old man river a wave. Smile

Also, Adelaide will be cool 'cos here in Sydney there's a few guys that would slap me if I stick a rotar and NOS in the car, but I think I may be safe to do it in Adelaide. Razz

seeyuzz
river
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Adelaide... tell me about it! Tue, 05 July 2005 21:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Great place.

Brilliant restaurants.

Best wineries. (by miles)

Great weather.

Peak 15min traffic.

Reasonable costs of living.

See ya here !!

Cheers

Michael B
lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Adelaide... tell me about it! Wed, 06 July 2005 06:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michael you forgot

Cheap drugs (considering it's river we are talking about Laughing )

RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Adelaide... tell me about it! Wed, 06 July 2005 14:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adelaide is pretty awesome, most laid-back 'city' ever (yeah it's small but it's big enough to be called a city). Nightlife is pretty low-key, nothing near as good as Sydney for example.

Roads are pretty awesome - although some of the twistier roads in the hills are not very low-rider friendly.

Adelaide is cheap - living is so expensive in the eastern states compared to here.
Arch
Forums Junkie

January 2004

Re: Adelaide... tell me about it! Wed, 06 July 2005 15:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Weed capital of Australia mmm

some of the best quality, and best price Wink weed.

better than paying $50? for a skimpy bag in sydney of crap weed hahahaha

[Updated on: Wed, 06 July 2005 15:17]

Ribfeast
Forums Junkie

March 2005

Re: Adelaide... tell me about it! Thu, 07 July 2005 00:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Simon-AE86 wrote on Tue, 05 July 2005 21:43

how old are you dude? golden grove wasnt around when i was a kid. in fact its only fairly recent. and these days its friggen massive!

I'm 26, 27 next month. I was living in Golden Grove until I left in 1995. Lived in Golden Grove for at least 5 years. Wish I had some photos on me to post up of the area, it has probably changed a fair bit since I took them.
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Adelaide... tell me about it! Thu, 07 July 2005 05:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its a great city river...

awesome weed too...as arch has already testified Laughing

river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Adelaide... tell me about it! Thu, 07 July 2005 11:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

Well... I came, I saw... I conquered.

Looks like a very small city to me..... the CBD is about the size of Parramatta CBD.

All up, looks and feels like a big country town rather than a city, which doesn't bother me.

I guess I'll find out in the next week or so if they like me enough to give me the job.

Shhhhh about the drugs 'cos Toobs will find out and he'll give me shit about it. Rolling Eyes

Didn't see much bling or rice about the place, though I did see a few Nissan Pulsars. What's with that?

seeyuzz
river
mc68
Regular

I supported Toymods

April 2005
Re: Adelaide... tell me about it! Thu, 07 July 2005 11:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
adeliade is ok, from the times ive stayed there...such a low city...as in the building arent large Confused

i was there when the water thing was going on...will always remember the bright pink water at near ceduna, next to some chemical foundary...would have tasted nice Surprised
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Adelaide... tell me about it! Thu, 07 July 2005 14:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
river the bling ricers exist but they only come from the rocks they hide under to invade west terrace, hindley street and rundle street on friday and saturday nights Laughing
faulksy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Adelaide... tell me about it! Thu, 07 July 2005 14:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Simon-AE86 wrote on Tue, 05 July 2005 21:13

golden is heaps old now. houses starting going up there in 1987. almost 20 years old now
ae86dave
Regular

May 2005
Re: Adelaide... tell me about it! Thu, 07 July 2005 14:46 Go to previous message
we also have fat* g1 comps here.

[img][/url]
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:crashing a car
Next Topic:Your car and your personality
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 20:31:12 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0065178871154785 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.