Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » BIG problems with 1g-gte - Dyno Charts included. . .plz help!!

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
VeeP
Regular

May 2005
BIG problems with 1g-gte - Dyno Charts included. . .plz help!! Thu, 07 July 2005 12:00 Go to next message

Hey everyone,

i just chucked a custom 2.5" catback on my GZ20 soarer. . . and im making not much power, and the exhaust added practically no power. .

here is the dyno chart

http://s1.simpload.com/070742cd1555f2e2a.jpg

I am also running 15lbs boost, motor has 95000kms. . .
Also, my ignition reads give between 9k ohms and 13k ohms resistance, is this correct. . .

Basically, what is wrong with my motor, why is it making so little power, and howcome this exhaust hasnt added much?

Is the ECU perhaps retarding timing at the peak torque mark? How do i disable the ECUs ability to do this?

PLLZZZ HELP!

[Updated on: Thu, 07 July 2005 12:04]

Send a private message to this user    
chrisellis
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: BIG problems with 1g-gte - Dyno Charts included. . .plz help!! Thu, 07 July 2005 14:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
auto's suck, manual will give u alot more power... possibly 30+ hp

exhaust difference looks not bad, plently of extra tourqe in the lower revs, possibly need a 3inch system for better flow at higher RPM's...

u wanna fuck with the ecu u'll have to go piggyback or replace. id say leave it for now though, do a manual conversion
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: BIG problems with 1g-gte - Dyno Charts included. . .plz help!! Thu, 07 July 2005 14:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dunno about auto, but a manual 1g-gte would be doing WAY better than that, especially at 15psi...

Checked for error codes?
VeeP
Regular

May 2005
Re: BIG problems with 1g-gte - Dyno Charts included. . .plz help!! Thu, 07 July 2005 14:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No i havent checked for error codes, do i need special equipment??
Otherwise how do i go about doing it?

Surely the auto can't rob 15% from the total output over the manual!!

Man, this is a serious lack of power, even a stock soarer should be making more at the wheels.

i paid 380bux for a brand new catback to find that peak power is unchanged. Will i see better results if i gut the cat???

One more thing, under full boost and anymore than 1/2 throttle the car jerks a lil going up the rev range, is this related?
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: BIG problems with 1g-gte - Dyno Charts included. . .plz help!! Thu, 07 July 2005 17:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Make sure car is off. Open the diagnostics connector. Short TE1 to E1. Turn ignition to on. Look at check engine light... it'll flash the codes.
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: BIG problems with 1g-gte - Dyno Charts included. . .plz help!! Thu, 07 July 2005 23:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Id say the exhaust you got is press bent?
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: BIG problems with 1g-gte - Dyno Charts included. . .plz help!! Fri, 08 July 2005 00:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i'd say a press bent 2.5" exhaust isn't gonna cause a 1g to make only 130hp?
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: BIG problems with 1g-gte - Dyno Charts included. . .plz help!! Fri, 08 July 2005 00:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
96 kilowatts?

that's what indian's made... and his was running super duper ultra uber rich....

mine feels like its getting slower... heh

the autobox has been abused by previous owner metinks...

you should feel how it shifts, its not good

maybe I'll try and record a movie clip of it or something...

edit: with the auto i think we should be doing about 110kw, correct?

JasonP with his manual 1GGTE chaser was pushing 123kw...

OH WTF!

I just realised you said you're running over 1 bar of boost...

indians and mine probably produce this power output on stock boost...

umm.... what the hell is wrong there? you're only producing 96kw at the wheels on FIFTEEN PSI?!

[Updated on: Fri, 08 July 2005 00:22]

Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: BIG problems with 1g-gte - Dyno Charts included. . .plz help!! Fri, 08 July 2005 00:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FYI I made 124rwkw with same mods but 11psi in auto gz20 with 170000kms on it.
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: BIG problems with 1g-gte - Dyno Charts included. . .plz help!! Fri, 08 July 2005 00:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris Davey wrote on Fri, 08 July 2005 10:25

FYI I made 124rwkw with same mods but 11psi in auto gz20 with 170000kms on it.

that's encouraging! Very Happy

still, i'm going to go manual. my autobox is DEFINITELY dying.
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: BIG problems with 1g-gte - Dyno Charts included. . .plz help!! Fri, 08 July 2005 00:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it still didn't seem very fast though. That is why I built the Rona Razz
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: BIG problems with 1g-gte - Dyno Charts included. . .plz help!! Fri, 08 July 2005 00:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
VeeP wrote on Thu, 07 July 2005 22:00

i just chucked a custom 2.5" catback

this is the issue, a cuZt0m cat back will do fuck all to a stock motor, you have to concentrate on the pipe in front of the cat not behind it, not to mention the cat itself

no amount of boost is gonna help if the engine cant breathe
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: BIG problems with 1g-gte - Dyno Charts included. . .plz help!! Fri, 08 July 2005 00:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris Davey wrote on Fri, 08 July 2005 10:28

it still didn't seem very fast though. That is why I built the Rona Razz

im hoping to squeeze 150kw out of my GZ20...

because its slow as fuck at the moment, and im sure if i even got 140 out of it, (i reckon its only around 100kw at the moment) then that extra fourty kilowatts is a 40% increase in power... so it will feel faster at least...

im just sick of SR20 pulsars and sprinters beating me...

my mate's 325i M-sport trounced me... that's just not cricket

it was an E30 for christ sakes!

even a friend in his proton satria (the SOHC one) when he absolutely wrang its next to try and get past me and i booted it as well... he was keeping up...

now tell me that's not normal...

[Updated on: Fri, 08 July 2005 00:35]

Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: BIG problems with 1g-gte - Dyno Charts included. . .plz help!! Fri, 08 July 2005 01:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that can't be normal, i can toast satrias in the corona, something has to be wrong with you car.
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: BIG problems with 1g-gte - Dyno Charts included. . .plz help!! Fri, 08 July 2005 01:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Corona RT142 wrote on Fri, 08 July 2005 11:08

that can't be normal, i can toast satrias in the corona, something has to be wrong with you car.

no shit sherlock, that's what i've been saying this whole thread

edit: i guess i did say "tell me thats not normal" Laughing

sorry, im just an elitist soarer driver like mr 1jz

[Updated on: Fri, 08 July 2005 01:10]

VeeP
Regular

May 2005
Re: BIG problems with 1g-gte - Dyno Charts included. . .plz help!! Fri, 08 July 2005 01:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Thanx Hydra, ran codes and got 24, 31 and 34 - which are all related to air intake sensors. Exactly where is this device and is it really the cause of the problem? Btw, does this code mean my AFM is rooted or is there a common fix?

How can i tell if one turbo is jammed without pulling them off? I think it boosts late and one of the turbo compressor housings looks remarkably clean (the back turbo) - actually its totally spotless - no oil at all.

Ill gut the cat today, and try to see whats goin on.

Can anyone else offer any solutions to the problem?
sunset hornet
Occasional Poster

July 2005
Re: BIG problems with 1g-gte - Dyno Charts included. . .plz help!! Fri, 08 July 2005 01:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i think you have bigger issues than you might be considering, 130hp for a 1ggte is not even normal, and a catback should of made somewhat of a difference, regardless of whether its a manual or auto.
i agree with whoever said it do your error codes and verify whats going on, thats an article on the web summarising all 11 codes that get flashed out by jumping diag terminals.

well thats just my opinion Evil or Very Mad
sunset hornet
Occasional Poster

July 2005
Re: BIG problems with 1g-gte - Dyno Charts included. . .plz help!! Fri, 08 July 2005 01:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
behind your filter there should be a lil box this'll have a wire running off somewhere, if your having air flow sensor probs this is where it'll be, replace that and that should make all the dif, is your engine running dirty rich at the moment that is a common sign if your afm or map isn't working properly, as your ecu doesn't know what load the engine is under and compensates with additonal fuel, resulting in black smoke hope this helps Laughing
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: BIG problems with 1g-gte - Dyno Charts included. . .plz help!! Fri, 08 July 2005 01:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Before you check your error codes, you should disconnect the battery for a while to clear the system. Then go for a quick blat and then check the codes.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: BIG problems with 1g-gte - Dyno Charts included. . .plz help!! Fri, 08 July 2005 01:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
And dont touch the freakin cat, it wont do a damm thing.
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: BIG problems with 1g-gte - Dyno Charts included. . .plz help!! Fri, 08 July 2005 01:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool1 wrote on Fri, 08 July 2005 11:24

And dont touch the freakin cat, it wont do a damm thing.

if the CAT is old it could be fucked but honestly a decent dump pipe and a new cat would be a good idea
dayzii
Occasional Poster

September 2004
Re: BIG problems with 1g-gte - Dyno Charts included. . .plz help!! Fri, 08 July 2005 01:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
when dynoing your auto 1ggte take overdrive off and put it in manu mode. It will hold the gears longer.

When i dynod mine i got 147.6hp @ rears. stock boost, stock exhaust and K&N filter. however mine is a Gen III motor as i have a supra.
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: BIG problems with 1g-gte - Dyno Charts included. . .plz help!! Fri, 08 July 2005 01:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
whoops didn't realise he only had a catback. Mine made the 124rwkw with full 2.5" exhaust.
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: BIG problems with 1g-gte - Dyno Charts included. . .plz help!! Fri, 08 July 2005 01:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Another thing is that is the Genie Dynojet which usually gives higher readings than Dyno Dynamics, so you could say it is a bit more sick again.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: BIG problems with 1g-gte - Dyno Charts included. . .plz help!! Fri, 08 July 2005 01:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Are you sure you got 34, given thats something which should only happen on a water/air version because it's the overboost. I'm with Cool1. Disconnect your battery for a while, then take it for a drive then check the codes again. Do the simple things like ensuring AFM plug on nice and tight and go from there.
stradlater
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: BIG problems with 1g-gte - Dyno Charts included. . .plz help!! Fri, 08 July 2005 02:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Whilst those leads are probably standard resistance, seriously dude, get some better ones!! the difference better leads makes is incredible.
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: BIG problems with 1g-gte - Dyno Charts included. . .plz help!! Fri, 08 July 2005 03:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
New leads didn't seem to help me... maybe my stock leads are still ok Smile

But it doesn't hurt to use new good leads.
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: BIG problems with 1g-gte - Dyno Charts included. . .plz help!! Fri, 08 July 2005 04:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
checking earthing can make a big difference too, can't it?
stradlater
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: BIG problems with 1g-gte - Dyno Charts included. . .plz help!! Fri, 08 July 2005 04:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What new leads did you use though? Just standard replacement or uprated ones?

And earthing will play a role yes, but I would have thought you'd have other issues with that rather than just some power droppage.
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: BIG problems with 1g-gte - Dyno Charts included. . .plz help!! Fri, 08 July 2005 04:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
other issues like.... misfiring?

*hides*

(sorry, im hijacking the thread to try and solve my problems. i'll shutup now Laughing
VeeP
Regular

May 2005
Re: BIG problems with 1g-gte - Dyno Charts included. . .plz help!! Sun, 10 July 2005 03:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Aight, disconnected battery, dissambled AFM, still got codes 24, 31 and 34. Dont know how a code 34 appears for a GenIII motor though. . .

I think my AFM is faulty, is there anyone in perth i can switch with just to check? The wiring seems fine.

At idle there is a slight burble (sounds like fuel is burning up in the exhaust), and it jerks under power. Im gonna check the AFM, replace the fuel filter, and is there anything else i should do?
Siktoy ra23
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: BIG problems with 1g-gte - Dyno Charts included. . .plz help!! Sun, 10 July 2005 05:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Check out you rotor button and dizzy cap as well

clint aka CLG has a gen3 afm
VeeP
Regular

May 2005
Re: BIG problems with 1g-gte - Dyno Charts included. . .plz help!! Mon, 11 July 2005 01:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
They seem to be ok, i pulled the cap off and nothing looked damaged. . .
what do i look for?
EvilJack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2002

Re: BIG problems with 1g-gte - Dyno Charts included. . .plz help!! Mon, 11 July 2005 01:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
has the engine been pulled down at all? have you checked timing and cam timing?
Dylo
Regular

May 2002

Re: BIG problems with 1g-gte - Dyno Charts included. . .plz help!! Mon, 11 July 2005 03:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I also have drama's with my 1GGTE Running rich as hell. (manual tho)

I ran it on 15psi got 127KW Which was only a tiny improvemnt over stock boost. Problem was, it was runnin super rich! A/F Ratio line on the chart drops vertically down and goes somewhere off the chart when the power starts to come on, and doesn't return untill throttle is relased!

What the hell could make it run this rich?
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: BIG problems with 1g-gte - Dyno Charts included. . .plz help!! Mon, 11 July 2005 04:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://img203.imageshack.us/my.php?image=untitled1 6jt.png

heres mine from a bog stock gen 2 was running a super dirty stock airfilter and a faulty thermostat that was stuck open lolllll

ive put up this pic and not the usual dyno chart paper is cause this one shows afr as well as boost and temp

cheers
VeeP
Regular

May 2005
Re: BIG problems with 1g-gte - Dyno Charts included. . .plz help!! Mon, 11 July 2005 10:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No, the motor hasnt been puled down (since iv had it), and im yet to check ignition timing, though thats next on my list. What is the standard base timing on the 1G-GTE supposed to be?

Since im on a stock ECU, i cant change the injection settings.

- -Dylo, if ur AFM is all good, it could be ur injectors are leaking (which makes sense coz fuel pressure goes up with boost pressure). Check ur fuel pump and lines. If thats not it, u should get an aftermarket device to adjust ur injection settings.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: BIG problems with 1g-gte - Dyno Charts included. . .plz help!! Mon, 11 July 2005 12:08 Go to previous message
VeeP wrote on Mon, 11 July 2005 18:10

No, the motor hasnt been puled down (since iv had it), and im yet to check ignition timing, though thats next on my list. What is the standard base timing on the 1G-GTE supposed to be?

10 degrees with the pins bridged bud Smile
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:removing TA22 windscreen chrome trim
Next Topic:GCG ball-bearing hiflows for 1jz questions-plz help
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 16:09:34 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0085921287536621 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.